Ch. 5

The Spell I'm Under is You

I was going to make this the last chapter for this story (and it kinda should be), but the second part got pretty long and it's been a few months since I updated this. After a brief mention in the first chapter, Sungjong finally makes an appearance. I'm planning on a story for him in this series. It's going to be connected, I guess, with this so that it's happening at the same time this story is. I won't say who he's paired with yet, but maybe you can guess. Now on to this chapter, I think I've managed to uncomplicate things.

 

 

 

Myungsoo had been naïve to think Sungjong would be at all sympathetic to his situation. He's known him as long as he's known Sungyeol and not once has Sungjong ever been anything other than brutally honest. It's normally one of the characteristics Myungsoo loves about his friend. He appreciates that Sungjong isn't afraid to call him out or say what he really thinks. But this time, he wishes the other would be on his side despite his short-sighted plan.

They're in Sungyeol's family's café. (He shouldn't be here when he's doing everything he can to avoid his best friend, but he knows for a fact that Sungyeol isn't working today so he rationalizes that it's okay.) Myungsoo's just filled Sungjong in on his childish plot with Woohyun as well as their kiss and his last conversation with Sungyeol. Sungjong looks less than impressed, though he hasn't said anything since Myungsoo started talking.

"You can tell me what an idiot you think I am now," Myungsoo says when he's done recounting the past month. He's fiddling with a paper napkin, his cup of coffee nearly empty and scone left half-eaten.

Sungjong leans back in his chair and crosses his arms over his chest. "I don't think you're an idiot."

"You don't?"

"No, I know you are," he replies. The smirk on his face says he'd been waiting for the opportunity to say that. "I mean, there's so much wrong with your plan, I can't believe it took this long for it to go to . And now you obviously need my help. Because how else will you two finally just admit you like each other?"

Although he'd been pouting about being called an idiot, Myungsoo perks up immediately. "Really? You'll help me?" Playing Cupid to his two closest friends is way below Sungjong's pay grade—and not exactly what Myungsoo had been seeking. But then again, he's been unsuccessful so far on his own. He might as well accept help if it's being offered.

Sungjong shrugs as he picks up his phone after it buzzes on the table. "Well, I would say you couldn't mess this up any more than you already have, but you might take that as a challenge." Rather than the self-satisfied smirk that graces his face after one of his signature quips, Sungjong's lips are pulled up into a genuine smile. There's even the hint of a blush on his cheeks. That obviously has nothing to do with their conversation.

"Who's that," Myungsoo asks, his eyes on the phone in his friend's hand. Except for his family (and his friends on occasion), there's no one else that can make Sungjong smile so happily.

"No one." The smile disappears as Sungjong turns off the phone's screen and sets it face down back on the table. "So, we were talking about your problems," he says with an air of professionalism that's at odds with the topic. Clearly, he's trying to steer the conversation back to Sungyeol.

Myungsoo won't let him off that easily, though. "My problems aren't going anywhere. I want to know who's making you blush."

"I'm not blushing." At the raised eyebrow from Myungsoo, he lets out a heavy sigh. "It's just someone I know."

"Someone you know that I know?"

"No."

"Someone Sungyeol knows?"

"No."

"A cute someone you know?"

Sungjong's lips quirk up in a half-smile. "I'm sure he thinks so."

"Do you like him?" The incredulous look Sungjong sends him seems to say otherwise. "Does he like you," Myungsoo tries instead.

There's a long stretch of silence before Sungjong answers. "Maybe... I don't know." His face is unreadable, his tone flat.

Nodding to himself, Myungsoo files Sungjong's responses as well as his reactions away for later use. He'd always assumed the other had ridiculously high standards. That would partly explain his lack of a love life. Whoever this guy is, he must be pretty special to at least pique Sungjong's interest.

"Can we stop talking about me now," Sungjong asks with the slightest hint of a whine. He eyes his phone on the table, but doesn't reach for it.

Myungsoo obliges his friend, knowing he isn't going to get anything else from him. "Of course, we should be fixing the mess I made. And by 'we' I mean 'you'."

 

 

 

Sungjong's great advice comes in the form of two "simple" steps. The first is to talk to Woohyun. Myungsoo isn't necessarily uncomfortable around his fake boyfriend now despite what Sungyeol must think. They would have to have been in the same room at any time in the last two weeks since That Night for Myungsoo to even be a little awkward.

Woohyun's been very obvious in his avoidance of Myungsoo. He doesn't answer any of Myungsoo's calls or texts. He never seems to be home—or just doesn’t answer the door—when Myungsoo stops by. He's nowhere that Myungsoo expects him to be. It was understandable the first couple of days. Myungsoo wouldn't have been able to look Woohyun in the eye just yet and he wouldn't even have known what to say. But now he thinks they should be past that point. They should talk about That Night and the blatant disregard for boundaries. Woohyun doesn't seem to think so.

It's possible Woohyun might've developed feelings for Myungsoo and that's why he's so hard to find. In the beginning, he'd sworn that wouldn't happen, but liking someone isn't usually something that can be helped. If that was the case, Myungsoo would've stopped liking Sungyeol a long time ago. He doesn't really know what to do if it turns out Woohyun does have feelings for him. As guilty as he would feel for turning Woohyun down, he's still crazy about Sungyeol. Kissing Woohyun hadn't changed that at all.

Myungsoo gets his chance to confront Woohyun the day after his talk with Sungjong. It happens entirely by accident while he and Sungyeol are walking back home. Sungyeol always meets Myungsoo at his job every Tuesday so they can walk home together. Though he says it's on his way, they both know it isn't but choose not to admit it. It's part of their routine and lets Myungsoo pretend for fifteen wonderful minutes that Sungyeol is a doting and thoughtful boyfriend—his doting and thoughtful boyfriend.

They're about a block from their apartment when Myungsoo trips on thin air and nearly takes down someone leaving a store. Instinctively, he wraps his arms around the other person in the hope that they'll keep him from falling. His nose brushes against skin, the other's neck probably, and the scent is the first thing he recognizes. Next are the arms that easily catch him and, somehow, the warmth radiating from him. It all brings back the memory of That Night. He knows it's Woohyun before he's even seen the other guy's face. They both manage to stay upright and when they separate, Woohyun looks just as taken aback as Myungsoo feels. He must've recognized Myungsoo in that split second as well.

"I'm sorry," Myungsoo says belatedly. As much as he'd thought he'd gotten over the weirdness, it's different when Woohyun's standing right in front of him.

Woohyun gives a slight shake of his head in response. His eyes shift over to Sungyeol who's just a foot away from Myungsoo.

The witch clears his throat, sensing the tension. "Uh, I'll head back first," he says to Myungsoo. It's a statement, but the question is clear in his eyes. He won't leave Myungsoo with Woohyun if he doesn't want him to.

Myungsoo sends him a reassuring smile. He secretly likes when Sungyeol gets all protective of him. "I'll see you at home." The other man glances at Woohyun before waving goodbye to Myungsoo. It wouldn't be a surprise if Myungsoo finds him brewing "something" when he gets back.

"We need to talk," Myungsoo says to Woohyun once Sungyeol is out of earshot. Woohyun doesn't look at all thrilled, but he doesn't try to worm his way out of it either. He gestures at the building he just came out of and Myungsoo realizes they're standing in front of the twenty-four-hour diner he and Sungyeol frequent. It would be nicer to have this conversation somewhere more private, but if Woohyun is willingly talking to him now, then Myungsoo will take what he can get.

The diner is quiet, as expected on a Tuesday evening. Most of the tables are empty, the sounds from the kitchen fill in for the lack of chatter. Myungsoo eyes one in front of the windows (he likes watching the changing colors of the sky as the sun sets), but Woohyun continues towards the back. As they pass the front counter, a cook calls out to Woohyun. "Back for seconds," he jokes. Woohyun offers a smile and a small wave in return.

They end up at a secluded table far enough away from any prying eyes or ears. "Do you want anything," Woohyun asks, his first words to Myungsoo in over a week. When Myungsoo shakes his head, he sighs. "Don't worry, it's on me. They all know me. My brother used to work here."

That’s not what Myungsoo's worried about, but he won't turn down free food. "The chicken platter's fine."

"That's it?"

"And water."

"Nothing else?" Woohyun looks like he's holding back a smile and a teasing remark. It didn't take long in the establishment of their friendship for him to learn about the bottomless pit that is Myungsoo's stomach.

Myungsoo relaxes in his seat. He'd been afraid Woohyun wouldn't feel comfortable around him anymore. "Let's see how this goes," he says breezily. Woohyun snorts, but leaves it at that. When he gets up to place their order, Myungsoo sends a text to Sungyeol to tell him he's eating with Woohyun. He's missed hanging out with Woohyun, despite the pretense of a romantic relationship. He would usually forget they were pretending to be on a date anyway.

Woohyun comes back less than a minute later. He has a glass of water for Myungsoo and a soda for himself. "I guess it's time to talk now." He takes a long sip of his drink through the straw before continuing. "You don't like me now, right? Not like that?"

"No, of course not."

"Thanks for answering so quickly," Woohyun says sarcastically.

Abashed, Myungsoo's eyes drop down to the table. "Sorry," he mumbles. He'd been prepared for the question, but he probably should've been more tactful. "I guess I shouldn't tell you that kissing you made me realize how in love with Sungyeol I am, then."

Woohyun's laugh is soft. He doesn't seem offended. "No, that's probably not a good idea."

"You don't have feelings for me either, right?"

The smile quickly falls from Woohyun's face. There's a long pause before he answers. "No. I don't."

He sounds sure, but Myungsoo isn't. "Really? You're not just saying that?"

"I swear I don't. At least, they're not romantic feelings," he adds as an afterthought. Before Myungsoo can question him further, a waitress calls out their order. Woohyun excuses himself to pick it up—not because he actually has to, though. He's obviously said too much and is now trying to avoid having to explain himself. They both know Myungsoo isn't going to just drop it, but Woohyun also knows the best distraction.

If asked, Myungsoo would say Sungyeol or cats, but his one true weakness is food. It's the way to his heart as well as the perfect way to shut him up. Whatever straightforward questions Myungsoo had been about to shoot at Woohyun get swallowed down at the sight of the plate piled high with fried chicken, fries, and onion rings. The skin on the chicken is golden brown and he can still see the oil sizzling on it. He can practically taste it from just the smell. He digs in as soon as Woohyun sets the plate in front of him, using his fork to avoid burning his fingers. He gets through a drumstick and a good amount of fries before he remembers the conversation he's supposed to be having. "What kind of feelings do you have for me," he asks around a mouthful of chicken.

Woohyun had ordered a cheeseburger for himself. He's eating it much slower and more civilized than Myungsoo. Setting the burger down, he finishes chewing and swallows before speaking. "I don't think you want to know."

"Ah, so it's those kinds of feelings."

"Why'd you ask if you already knew," Woohyun scoffs.

Myungsoo shrugs. "Just checking. I guess that explains why you got so freaked."

"I wasn't freaked. It's just... It's weird. You and me, like that. Kissing you." He seems to grimace at the thought. (Myungsoo tries not to take it personally.) "I mean, don't get me wrong, you're a great kisser," he amends. (Myungsoo does take that personally.) "But I don't usually want to kiss my friends."

He'd been unsure before, but now Myungsoo believes Woohyun didn't suddenly fall for him. How the other man is feeling is exactly how Myungsoo has felt too many times in his life. "That's what it's like to be a Lilin demon," he tells Woohyun.

"Half-Lilin demon."

"That's still enough," Myungsoo counters. "You just have to find a release for that energy."

Woohyun rests his elbows on the table and leans closer to Myungsoo. "What's your release?"

Just like That Night, Myungsoo feels the same pull towards Woohyun. Except now he thinks the other's doing it on purpose. His body language and suggestive tone are enough evidence. "You do remember I'm in love with Sungyeol, right?"

Woohyun at least has the decency to look embarrassed. "It was worth a shot," he says, leaning back in his seat. "I guess this means you're breaking up with me, then?"

That is exactly what he'd intended to do when he asked for them to talk. If he's going to admit his feelings to Sungyeol, then they should call off this deal. It was bound to happen anyway. "We have to have actually been dating for us to break up," Myungsoo points out, focusing more of his attention on his food. He feels like he at least owes Woohyun an explanation, though. "I'm going to tell Sungyeol how I feel. I know that's what I should've done in the first place instead of dragging you into it. But I think Sungyeol has the wrong idea about us."

"Wasn't that the point of this?" Woohyun gestures between them. For someone who's just been pseudo-dumped he seems to be taking it well.

Shaking his head, Myungsoo swallows his bite of chicken before replying. "Not that. When I told him that I kissed you I might've been a little freaked, too. Now I think he thinks I'm, like, afraid of you or something. And I kinda promised him he could hex you if you turned out to be an ."

"I told you I wasn't freaked."

"That's not what you should be worried about right now," Myungsoo reminds Woohyun. "Sungyeol's probably looking up spells to turn you into a frog or a shoe or something." The older man doesn't look half as concerned as he probably should. If anything, he actually looks amused. Myungsoo perks up in his seat as a thought occurs to him. "You know," he starts slowly, "when you think about it, your fate is pretty much in my hands. I mean, what happens to you all depends on what I tell Sungyeol. You can either be a great friend or a huge jerk."

Woohyun's eyes narrow as the words sink in. "You're blackmailing me?" He scoffs when Myungsoo nods an affirmative. "What's your price," he asks, like it's a serious negotiation.

Myungsoo doesn't have to think very long or hard for his answer. "Ice cream. Two scoops." He holds up two fingers to illustrate it. Sure, he could buy the dessert himself, but in his experience food always tastes better when you're not paying for it.

There's a beat of silence between them as Woohyun stares blankly at Myungsoo. It's punctuated by a bark of laughter from the older man. "Sorry, I forgot I was dealing with a five-year-old." Myungsoo’s pout only further proves Woohyun’s point.