Ch. 4

The Spell I'm Under is You

I think I spoke too soon in the last chapter. This was originally a myungyeol story and it'll definitely stay a myungyeol story. Although I really like woosoo, for this story Myungsoo is going to end up with Sungyeol (spoiler alert?). Since this chapter is from Sungyeol's perspective, the next chapter will explain the whole thing with Myungsoo and Woohyun. And eventually I'll know where I'm going with this.

 

 

 

Sungyeol is sure he's the worst best friend ever. When he should be supportive of Myungsoo and his new relationship, he's just been hoping for it to run its course. For Myungsoo to realize Woohyun isn't the one for him. Or for Woohyun to break Myungsoo's heart so Sungyeol can finally have an excuse to hex Woohyun like Myungsoo had promised he could. Woohyun seems like an okay guy and Sungyeol can admit that he doesn't hate him, though not for lack of trying, but he's also insanely jealous. Unfortunately, Myungsoo either doesn't see it for what it is or doesn't seem to even notice at all. He's always hanging off Woohyun or staring at him like he's the only thing in the world. It breaks Sungyeol's heart as much as it makes him want to pull his hair out.

At this point, he's sure this is more than just a crush. He wouldn't be so hurt, so jealous, so conflicted if it was. But there's nothing he can do about it now. At least, not while Myungsoo is with Woohyun. The smart thing to do would be to try to move on. Rather than torturing himself, Sungyeol should go back to thinking of Myungsoo as just a friend. It's just that now that he has all of these feelings, they don't seem like they want to go away. He only wants Myungsoo and he's willing to wait until he can get his chance.

 

 

 

At first Sungyeol thinks he's reached a new level of lovesickness. Because that could be the only reason why he's dreaming about cuddling with Myungsoo. (They haven't done that since Woohyun came into the picture.) And he wouldn't be surprised if even his subconscious was stating the obvious. But when Sungyeol wakes up there's a warmth on his back and a weight on his hip. He turns over slowly, his mind still bogged down with sleep, and comes face-to-face with his best friend.

Myungsoo is out cold. His perfect face looks even more perfect in the blue light of dawn. He doesn't even flinch when Sungyeol rests a hand on his cheek. The fact that Myungsoo sleeps like the dead gives Sungyeol the courage to admire him without restraint. But he feels like such a coward for only being able to show (and maybe say really quietly) how much he likes Myungsoo. How much he loves him. "This is all your fault," he tells the other softly. His thumb rubs small circles into Myungsoo's skin. "Why'd you have to ask me to teach you to flirt? I was doing just fine pretending I didn't like you as much as I really did. As I still do. And then you had to go and get yourself a boyfriend before I could even try to make a move." Sungyeol sighs, shifting a little bit closer to Myungsoo. "You're lucky you're so cute. Or I would've stopped liking you by now."

That's not entirely true, but Sungyeol is sure if Myungsoo wasn't so adorable all the time it would be a lot easier to stop liking him. It also doesn't help that they've known each other for so long. He knows everything he could have ever hoped to know about the other man and then some.

Leaning his forehead against Myungsoo's, Sungyeol lets his eyes fall shut. He doesn't feel all that sleepy now. Compared to Myungsoo he's a much lighter sleeper and once he's up it's hard for him to go back to sleep. It's not impossible, though. Plus, with Myungsoo's arm still holding him and the heat radiating off him, Sungyeol thinks he'll be comfortable enough to drift off in no time.

"Don't make me wait too long," he says. Myungsoo isn't going to respond, but maybe the words will still reach him. By now, all Sungyeol has is hope.

 

 

 

"Why are you always making things I can't eat," Myungsoo pouts next to Sungyeol at the stove. He'd tried to sneak a taste from the bubbling pot while the other wasn't looking. Fortunately, Sungyeol caught Myungsoo before he could succeed. Now the younger man is sulking rather than finding something he can actually eat.

Sungyeol only shakes his head in disbelief. Whether it's an incubus thing or a Myungsoo thing, his friend has a nearly insatiable appetite. If he's not already eating then he's looking for something to eat. "It's not my fault you think with your stomach. Plus, when have I ever cooked in here? You know I only make potions." Although Sungyeol does a bit of cooking when he helps out at the café, at home he prefers the easy way out: pre-made. It also helps that both his mother and Myungsoo's like to make sure their sons are eating all their meals.

Myungsoo sighs, hugging Sungyeol from the back and resting his chin on the other's shoulder. He doesn't seem to notice that Sungyeol almost pours the chopped up fish eyes onto the stovetop rather than into the pot. (Sungyeol's heart speeds up at the memory of waking up in a very similar position. He tries not to think too much of it, though. This is just how Myungsoo is; he's always been overly touchy and affectionate. It didn't mean anything then and it doesn't mean anything now.) "But it smells really good," Myungsoo whines. (He probably wouldn't say that if he knew exactly what was in the pot.)

"Well, unless you grow fur and a tail, you can't have any." Sungyeol ignores Myungsoo's displeased groans. He focuses instead on stirring the pot. "My brother finally got his familiar," he tells the other. "The kitten is the runt of the litter so I'm making a potion to help it grow a little faster." He feels Myungsoo nod against his shoulder. It should be uncomfortable for Sungyeol to have his friend clinging to him while he's trying to focus on his magic. Or at least inconvenient. But after having years to get used to it, Sungyeol is easily able to work with Myungsoo's overly warm extra weight. Once the potion changes from a murky brown to a shimmery gold, he turns the stove off and moves the pot to a cold burner.

Myungsoo seems to take that as his cue to finally let go of Sungyeol. "You know," he starts off casually as he walks over to the fridge. It's obvious he wants something from Sungyeol. "It kinda feels like you owe me and since you're already here, you might as well cook something."

Sungyeol snorts in disbelief. He's usually the ridiculous one between the two of them, but sometimes Myungsoo likes to make an exception. "Why am I cooking for you? It's not like I tricked you. And shouldn't you be asking your boyfriend to make you food anyway?" He feels more than sees Myungsoo go stiff at the question. The other doesn't turn around or respond. Sungyeol almost expects him to run out of the room to avoid having to say anything. "Did something happen," he asks carefully after a long silence. He considers going over to Myungsoo, but decides their current distance might make things easier.

Myungsoo closes the fridge door and stares at it for a moment. From his body language alone, Sungyeol guesses he must be hesitating on telling him what's going on. When Myungsoo finally turns to look at Sungyeol, he avoids looking his friend directly in the eyes. He starts to speak a couple times, but stops short.

(A small, almost insignificant part of Sungyeol hopes the other is trying to find a way to reveal he's broken up with Woohyun. He should want his best friend to be happy even if it's with someone else. He shouldn't hope for any bad news. Reminding himself what a terrible friend he is, he pushes the thought away.)

"I... I kissed Woohyun," Myungsoo admits quietly. It almost sounds like an apology. He looks incredibly guilty, though Sungyeol has no clue why.

He also doesn't know why Myungsoo had such a hard time saying it. "Um, isn't that a good thing?" He’d assumed they’d done much more than that, though he tries not to think too deeply about it. But Myungsoo is making it seem like it was their first kiss. And like it wasn't a good experience. Although Sungyeol is ready to jump to conclusions, he should let the other man explain first.

"Is it," Myungsoo sends back. His gaze is steady when he meets Sungyeol's eyes. He looks determined and a bit scared. "Do you think it's a good thing?"

No, Sungyeol thinks immediately. How could I when I wish it was me? How could I when it feels like my heart is being ripped from my chest and stepped on whenever I see you with him—smiling, laughing, looking like there's no one else in the world but you two? But he can't say that. Or, at least, he doesn't think he should. Sungyeol can sense there's more to Myungsoo's question; that he might be anticipating Sungyeol's answer. It's hard to tell if being honest is a good move.

The determined look on Myungsoo's face turns unsure when Sungyeol doesn't say anything. "Never mind. Don't answer that," he backtracks. "I-it's nothing. Just forget I said anything, okay?"

Sungyeol watches Myungsoo leave the kitchen (he couldn't possibly leave any faster) still unable to say anything. From the look of things, it appears the other isn't as smitten with Woohyun as Sungyeol had assumed. That leaves him to wonder what could've happened to change Myungsoo's mind. And, more importantly, what this could mean for his chances with Myungsoo.