Chapter 1

Ice and Water

Suho

It’s been a month.

She’s been gone for a month.

Part of me still couldn't’t believe it but it’s already happened. Irene and her men was ambushed on their way to a rescue mission. Last time I heard, all of her men are dead and the rebels dumped her in The Hole.

The Hole.

Of course I couldn't’t do anything when it comes to the Hole. Only the King and the Prince could. And of course the Prince had rescued her on my demand and he kept her in Blaaz until now. No words to me. Is she hurt? Is she alive? I want to know. I wrote to him but no words sent back to me.

I would kill every single rebel in this area so then I could get to Blaaz to see her. But this wretched war seems to had no ends. Vatten was almost under siege yesterday but my men managed to ambush the rebels’ army before they made their way to the city. And now this morning, I heard that legions of the rebels’ army are marching to Vatten and they will arrive in two days.

A knock on my door stopped me from pacing around my chamber.

“It’s me, My Lord.” said a voice.

“Come on in.”

The door swung open and stood there was my second in command and army general.

“My Lord.” he said.

“General Kai.”

“A word just came from Blaaz saying that Prince Sehun and Lady Irene are on their way to Vatten and they will arrive soon.”

My eyes widened, “How could no one found out about this earlier?” I bellowed.

“Apologise, My Lord,” he said, “It seems that the Prince did this on purpose so that no one will know he is traveling with few men and Lady Irene.

I snorted, “How foolish! Traveling to Vatten with few men in the middle of a war without contacting me? It’s a good thing they’re still alive. This is unacceptable! Go find and them. Bring your five best men with you.”

“At once, My Lord.”

Just then someone blew the horn at the castle gate. “Riders at the gate! Open the door!” bellowed a man. A soldier then rushed to my chamber.

“It’s the Prince, High Lord. With the Lady Irene.” he said between his breath.

Without a doubt I rushed to the front gate.

Then I saw her.

She held the Prince’s arm but she smiled at me. The smile I always knew and loved. We stared at each other’s eyes for a moment. Until I saw the look in the Prince’s eyes.

He adored her.

I cleared my throat, “Your Highness,” I bowed slightly, “My Lady.” I bowed again and held out my hand to her.

To my surprise she reached the hand that I held out and moved to stand by my side. I look at the Prince and his face was really hard to read.

“I saw your men are busy preparing for a possible assault at the city wall. Is there anything I miss?” he finally said something.

“Yes, Your Highness. I was informed that legions of rebels army are currently marching to Vatten. They are planning to siege this city it seems. If that’s true, this will be their second attempt for the siege.”

“What happened to the first?” that was Irene who spoke. She looked worried as she gave a gentle squeeze to my arm.

“We managed to ambush them hence they fail to siege this city,” I replied her squeeze then turned to the Prince, “Thank you, Your Highness for coming here to Vatten and thank you for rescuing and bringing Lady Irene back.”

“My pleasure, High Lord.” he stretched his body, “Now I hope you have a chamber prepared for me because I’m tired after the journey.”

“We do, Your Highness. There is a chamber in the north tower my man will you to there,” I turned to one of my guards, “Please Prince Sehun to his chamber. Stationed two men at his door you he can inform you if he needs anything.”

“Thank you, High Lord. Now if you excuse me, I will leave for that chamber now.”

With three guards escorting him, the Prince Sehun entered the castle and headed to the north tower.

I felt a gentle squeeze in my arm once again. I turned to Irene and she gave me her beautiful smiling face once again, “I missed you.” she said while caressing my cheek. Her hand then rest on my shoulder.

I took a deep breath, “Let’s get inside. I’d like to have a word with you. In private.”

***

Irene

His room was always the same. The room of an elegant High Lord. All in black with a hint of dark blue. His table stacked with papers. Another table had a huge map of Brume with some marks to where the rebel’s army were. Some of the marks were down already. He had already kill a lot of men while me captured and dumped into The Hole and was helpless. That hurts my pride as a warrior.

“Wine?” Suho’s voice broke the silence.

“Please.” he then poured me a glass of wine and another glass for himself. I seated myself in front of the war map.

“You have five legions of rebels on your tail?” I asked.

“They will be here soon. We couldn't’t ambush them because there are too many of them.”

Another deep silence.

“How was it?” he suddenly asked, he stood across me now,  “The Hole. How was it?”

I took a deep breath and those horrifying vision when I was in The Hole started to coming back to my mind. I shook my head slightly, “It was horrifying of course. I’d rather die than be in there to be honest.”

He bit his lower lip. He looked worried but also a bit strange, “How long were you in there? Before the Prince saved you.”

I ran my finger around the war map and shook my head, “Days? Weeks? I don’t know. It was hard to tell the time. Once the night fell, I never saw daylight again. Only those...... things.”

I heard him took a deep breath, “I asked the Prince to save you, you know? And after he did, he never sent a word to me. I was dying to know your condition. I wrote him every week but no words were sent back to me.”

“Really? The Prince showed me your letters and said that he will wrote back. It surprised me that he did not. Unbelievable.”

Suho did not respond.

“I think I might know why,” I let out a little laugh, “He wanted me. Wanted to be with me, you know. How foolish! I never—“

“And do you?” Suho cut me off.

“Do I what?”

“Do you want to be with him?”

It came to me then, all of it. Why there was no hug and no kisses from him. Why he looked so strange when he should looked happy because I’m finally back with him.

“What is this all about?” I asked.

“Answer me.”

I laughed in disbelief, “You think I love him?!”

“Answer me.”

“No! This is ridiculous!”

“I saw the way he looks at you! The look in his eyes when you held his arm!” he bellowed.

“The way he looks at me? The look in his eyes?!” My chest heaved up and down, "How about the way I look at you?! Does that mean nothing to you?"

He bite his lips and runs his fingers on his hair.

"I never," I said, "And will never look at him the way I look at you. I thought you would understand that."

I looked at him in disbelief. I had been promised to him since a year ago. We would marry each other already if there is no civil war. I love him even before I was promised to him. Betraying him will be the last thing I would do.

"It's complicated, you see." he said.

"Which part is complicated?" I bellowed, "I love you and only you. That's all that matters," I stood up from my seat now, "If you're angry about the fact that there were no replies for all you letters, blame the Prince! Not me! And you cannot just accuse me for cheating on you just because the way the Prince looks at me. Yes I am very well aware by the fact that the Prince adores me but that doesn't mean that I will fall for him because he is the Prince or the heir or whatever bull that is!"

"I love you. And it will only be you. Can't you feel it?" my voice sounded so desperate right now. I looked at him and all I can see in his face was regrets.

"You hurt me," I said to him again, "Do you know what I've been through? I was in The Hole, Suho! I thought I will never see you again when I was in there. But here I am now. And tell you what, High Lord, I did not expect to be accused for cheating on you at all!"

"No, please, listen"

"No, stop," I silenced him, "I can't. I just can't. I need," I shook my head, turned around and headed to leave his chamber, "I need some time alone."

"Irene, please."

I ignored him. It hurts and I can't even be here any longer.

"Wendy will you to your chamber." I heard him speak.

I stopped but didn't bother to turned around and face him, "Don't bother."

Then I reached for the door handle.

And I left.