Chapter 03

Bound

03: Yue

The minute Yue escaped from her mother’s womb, the doctor knew something was wrong. She didn’t cry, she didn’t shout, she barely moved. It was the quietest delivery the doctor had ever experienced.

But her parents cried and shouted as they plead and begged but nothing could be done. How does a doctor install feelings into a person? What Yue lacked could not be granted.

Unfortunately for Yue, parents are humans too. They tried their absolute hardest to love her, but how could they love something that had no love in it? The indifference she showed frightened them to no end; and so, after years of deliberation, they decided to abandon her on her tenth birthday.

Yue did not blame them. In fact, she would have blamed herself if she felt something, but she felt nothing; she wasn’t sad, wasn’t happy, she was simply indifferent.

Fortunately for Yue, she was a bright girl. She was a fast learner and realized that if she continued showing her indifference to the world, she would end up alone. So she learned how to laugh, how to cry, and how to show anger. She would pick emotions based on previous experiences with her parents. Yue became a chameleon that was able to adapt to her surroundings.

While Yue was able to fool most people with her act, there was one person she was never able to fool, the head Nun of the institution. The head Nun, also known as Sister Ada was considered, a person that is closest to God. Sister Ada believed Yue to be the devil’s child and wanted her gone from the institution as soon as possible. She prayed and prayed every day for Yue to be taken away.

Her prayers were finally answered after seven long years. At the dawn of Yue’s sixteenth birthday, an intimidating six-foot tall gentleman signed the waiver to adopt Yue as her legal guardian. For the first time in seven years, Sister Ada shed tears of happiness for Yue.

Now that Yue was none of her concern, Sister Ada was able to pray for her well-being from the bottom of her heart.