Spreading Warmth

Tea Time In The Palace

2nd year

 

Taekwoon was taken to the infirmary by the end of the morning classes. His measly cold got worse enough that he felt absolutely terrible by the time the teacher dismissed class. He thought he would be fine today since it was just a mild headache this morning but he was most definitely wrong about that.

 

The school nurse had asked him if he wanted to be fetched from school but he declined the offer. It may be better if he rested in the infirmary. Both his parents aren't home since they have work, and he doesn't think making them skip work over a simple cold would be a great idea. Just going home won't be good either. He doesn't really fancy being alone while he's sick.

 

He had just made himself comfortable when the door opened, revealing a panicked looking Hayeon. She looked like she run straight there. She probably went to his classroom to check up on him. He did message her that he didn't manage to cook lunch since he overslept, also because of his cold.

 

She bowed quickly to the nurse and strode towards Taekwoon's bed. "You idiot! Why didn't you tell me you were sick?!" she said in a half yell, half whisper, which Taekwoon greatly appreciated. He doesn't think he can take Hayeon yelling at him at full force right now.

 

He merely tilted his head on the pillow and closed his eyes, a silent plead towards Hayeon not to scold him at the moment.

 

Like he expected, she got the message immediately, combing his hair instead which soothed him and he unconsciously leaned into the touch. Her hands felt cool on his feverish skin and Hayeon indulging him by touching his forehead and caressing his cheek made him snuggle closer.

 

"You should grab your lunch now, lunch break is almost over." Taekwoon heard the nurse say towards Hayeon.

 

"I'm fine, ma'am. Thank you." she answered.

 

Taekwoon didn't hear any more of it, drifting off quickly due to the cold medicine finally kicking in.

 

The next time he came to was through a gentle pat on his arm. Even through his blurry vision, he could make out the image of his dad, still in his office suit. So it looks like the nurse had contacted his dad to fetch him after all. It wasn't like he was that against the idea since it does feel like he wouldn't be able to go home alone in his state.

 

He felt remotely better but still very much sick. At least he can walk without his father needing to assist him. It also seems like he slept through the afternoon classes. Most of the classrooms they passed by are already empty, the few students still inside were just tidying up their respective rooms.

 

"Sir!" A voice called from behind. Taekwoon doesn't need to turn around to know who it is. A few moments later and Hayeon was already standing next to him, leaning to him close, silently providing him support in case he's feeling weak. "Can I come with you?" 

 

Taekwoon turmed to her, asking.

 

"I'm still not allowed to do hard routines and they're practicing for the next performance that I still can't be part of anyway." she answered with a smile.

 

Unknown to both of them, Mr. Jung smiled at the exchange. It hasn't been that long since Taekwoon brought Hayeon over. At first they thought she was their son's girlfriend given how close they appear to be, but when they teased the two youngsters about it, they just stared at Taekwoon's parents with the oddest expression on their faces. The couple decided not to mention it again. It was nice seeing someone who understood Taekwoon's silent questions, and they didn't want the two of them to be awkward with each other just because of the playful teasing.

 

"Let's go then, kids." Mr. Jung finally said, leading them all to the car.

 

After dropping them both in the house, Taekwoon's father left again to buy the medicine the nurse had written down.

 

"I messaged mom that I already got you home. She should be here in a while." Then his dad was out the door, followed by the sound of the car speeding away.

 

Taekwoon lied down on the sofa, feeling exhausted despite the little activity that he did. At first he was just planning to lie down then and there but decided against it and crawled to use Hayeon's lap as a pillow, feeling oddly sleepy even if he slept the entire afternoon. He snuggled further, rubbing his head on her.

 

He felt a light pat on his hair, making him turn slightly to see her face.

 

"I'll get you a pillow, okay?"

 

He grunted as a complaint and Hayeon just combed his hair, unusually patient with him. "Come on, I need to get up." she urged gently.

 

He did eventually let her, but not without another grunt of protest. It was comfortable lying on her. She was firm yet soft and her brushing his hair was soothing.

 

She went to who knows where in the house and Taekwoon didn't have the energy to follow. He did kept an ear out though, curious why she needed to get up.

 

There was the unmistakable sound of pans and pots, followed by the click of the kitchen stove. Intrigued, Taekwoon got up, albeit slowly, "Hayeon?" he called out. His voice came out weak and hoarse, a fact he just realized since he hardly spoke the entire day.

 

"Just lie down. I won't burn down your kitchen." she replied.

 

Taekwoon decided to trust her, or maybe he's just feeling too groggy to doubt her now, and lied back down on the pillow.

 

She came back to the living room a few minutes later with a tray. "You haven't eaten anything, right?" settling down the tray on the small table, revealing a bowl of porridge and water.

 

He eyed the food then stared at Hayeon.

 

"I can't cook as well as you but at least I won't mess up something this simple." She sat herself on the carpet then grabbed the spoon and offered it to his direction. Taekwoon slid down the sofa, trying to smell the food unsuccessfully. His nose wasn't cooperating. Hayeon then grabbed his left hand and gave him the spoon, pushing the bowl closer to him.

 

The first taste of food reminded him of how hungry he actually is. He had forgotten all about the little breakfast he managed to eat and the lunch he had totally skipped. In his haste, the second bite almost burned his tongue. Hayeon quickly snatched the spoon away from him, clicking her tongue in the process and offered him the glass of water.

 

"I'll feed you." she declared.

 

He made a face that spelled out how repulsed he is to the idea.

 

"You either let me feed you or no food." she scolded. She also pulled the tray towards her for good measure.

 

He pouted but dropped his arms in resignation.

 

~*~

 

Mrs. Jung came home later to a trapped Hayeon under a sleeping Taekwoon on her lap, the empty glass and bowl still on a tray on the table. Taekwoon's mother gave a quiet apology to Hayeon then touched her son's forehead, noting that he still has a slight fever.

 

She was about to wake Taekwoon up as well but Hayeon touched her hand and gave a slight shake of her head.

 

"I'll call your mom then. I'll tell her, Taek's dad will drive you home later." she conceded.

 

Hayeon gave her a smile, petted Taekwoon's hair, while her son just quietly slept, clutching Hayeon's shirt in his hands.