Earned The Queen's Favor

Tea Time In The Palace

3rd year (Christmas vacation)

Mentioned in Chapter 1 of Part 4: On Their Way To The Royal Ball

 

Taekwoon can feel the chilly December air even if he's currently inside the house, the Cha's actually. It was warmer in the kitchen, probably because the oven was letting off the extra heat, but it was still cold enough for him to wear a thick sweater indoors.

 

The chocolate he's mixing bubbles gently on the pot, the smell thickening as he continues to stir slowly.

 

"Done!" he hears from behind him.

 

Hayeon had already collected the bowls and other baking materials, dumping them in the sink next to Taekwoon. She also peeked at the chocolate he's mixing, gave a nod and went back to the table.

 

After turning off the stove, he rounds the table and sat himself in front of Hayeon who's still busy wiping the spilled batter on the side.

 

The house was quiet save for the two of them. Hayeon's family had already bid them good night earlier, retreating to their own respective bedrooms.

 

Taekwoon gave a barely restrained yawn, stretching his arms on the table then folding them so he can settle his chin on them as he watched her work. She looks really good in her red apron.

 

"Sleepy?" she asked, amused. She opened the oven, making the room warmer, then placed the two pans inside, both half full of cake batter.

 

Taekwoon closed his eyes and hummed. The both of them didn't get much sleep the night before because they spent Christmas Eve at Taekwoon's place. His three sisters who were home for the holidays, had kept them both awake, playing games and eating almost the entire night.

 

"Go sleep. I can handle this." Hayeon urged.

 

Taekwoon didn't move. Instead, he opened his eyes again just in time to see Hayeon removing her apron and pulling off her hairtie.

 

"Let me tie your hair up." he offered, stretching his back a bit and yawning again. He then stood up, also removed his apron, and made his way to the living room, with Hayeon following closely behind.

 

"Can you braid it instead?" she asked, already holding a comb.

 

Instead of answering, Taekwoon just glanced at the wall clock, noting that it's already half past ten in the evening.

 

"If you don't want to, then no thanks." Hayeon grumbled. She was about to tie her hair up herself when Taekwoon snatched the comb from her.

 

"I didn't say anything." he said, sitting down on the sofa and motioning Hayeon to sit on the bedding that was put next to the sofa. It will be where Taekwoon will sleep for tonight.

 

"Your eyes totally said "Braids? At this time?" Don't even try to deny it. I had a lot of practice with 'Taekwoon-language'."

 

Taekwoon just tugged her hand down and yawned again. Hayeon followed this time, sitting on the soft mattress of the bedding with her back to Taekwoon.

 

He doesn't always do Hayeon's hair for her but he does enjoy it. Having three older sisters made him knowledgeable enough to know how to do things like this.

 

"I really like the rosé pasta you made yesterday." 

 

"We could've brought back some if my sisters didn't think it would be a great idea to eat the rest as a midnight snack over UNO." He pulled another set of strands, holding it with those in his hands. He quietly worked with the rest of her hair, finally tying it at the end.

 

Hayeon laughed a little. "It's fine. I'm sure the house would've been fighting over it if we brought only one serving."

 

Taekwoon was already asleep when the timer rang, signaling that it was time to take out the cake. He made a futile effort to get up, but was stopped by a hand on his hair.

 

"Sleep. I only need to put the chocolate on." he heard Hayeon say. Then the hand was gone and he flopped back on the bed.

 

He kept his eye open and watched Hayeon disappear back to the kitchen. He also heard the sound of the stove. The chocolate had probably gotten cold while they were waiting for the cake.

 

He shuffled under the blankets a bit and got up, trotting to the kitchen.

 

The cake was on the table but were still inside the pans while Hayeon stirs the chocolate on the stove. He padded over next to her and took the stirrer from her, then motioned towards the pans.

 

Hayeon smiled at him, "Thanks." giving up the stirrer to instead grab a knife to take the cake out.

 

A few more minutes later and both of them are under the blankets, Taekwoon on the mattress on the floor while Hayeon on the sofa next to it. The cake was cooling on the table and would be ready just in time for tomorrow.

 

"Good night." Hayeon said, facing Taekwoon's side.

 

"Night." he replied, yawning at the middle of it.

 

~*~

 

Taekwoon woke up before noon the next day. A peek on his side tells him that Hayeon was already up, probably for a few hours already. The pillows and blankets on it are already gone, maybe back in Hayeon's bedroom again.

 

"Morning. Slept well?" 

 

Taekwoon turned his head to the direction of the voice, finding Hayeon's oldest sibling. He was in an equally thick sweater paired with pajama pants and fluffy slippers. He looked exactly like Hayeon, just paler and with manly features.

 

He only hummed as an answer, still not fully awake yet.

 

"What time did you guys sleep? The cake was great by the way, as expected of my baby sister."

 

It took a minute for the words to sink in, but once they did, Taekwoon was warring with his blankets to get up. "...the cake..."

 

The older male took some time to understand what Taekwoon meant, then his eyes widened and let out a guilty laugh. "I think there's none left now."

 

Taekwoon's heart sank at the words. He was so looking forward to that especially since Hayeon mixed a bit of dark chocolate in it and he had tasted the melted chocolate last night. It was really good. And now he can't eat any of it.

 

He planted his face back on the pillow, not eager to get up anymore.

 

"Yeonie! I think Taekwoon collapsed from sugar withdrawals!" Hayeon's brother called out. Taekwoon honestly don't have the energy to care.

 

He heard him walk away but was soon followed by a different set of footsteps. Taekwoon peeked at Hayeon, pouting with all his might.

 

Hayeon just smiled and gave him a... spoon? He looked back at her, confusion written on his face.

 

"Two slices. My room." she whispered, followed by a wink.

 

Taekwoon was up in no time, hugging her tightly, "I love you!" he exclaimed and Hayeon just laughed.

 

"It's my payment for the braids."

 

Taekwoon can't be any more thankful about his braiding skills.

 

----------------------------------

Akirayuyuya: twitter || curiouscat