Losing Myself

Fateful Destiny

Seung Ho leaned awkwardly against the wall as he spread his legs apart for the hair/makeup stylist to fix the foundation on his face. He closed his eyes briefly for a few seconds to rest as he is the first to arrive to press conference. Maybe it's due to the constant attention and anticipation by the netizens for the drama but it's turning out to be a lot more of a hassle than anything. Their premiere date should've been scheduled for next month with the press conference a week before. Instead, it's being pushed into broadcast next week with the conference today. Seung Ho and So Hyun being the main leads has been working late nights for certain scenes due to the night shoots that's needed. As tiring and crazy as filming has been since it started two weeks ago, they can't complain when everybody else has been suffering as well. 

"Seung Ho-ah," Park Chul Min walked with a bright smile plastered on his face as he waved his hand. "Good morning!"

Standing up straight as soon as the stylist was done, Seung Ho walked over to give Chul Min a hug. "How did your filming go this morning?" There were certain scenes that had to be film no matter due to time restraint. Chul Min and So Hyun, who had a morning shoot today - woke up extra early to make it in time to film before the press conference. 

"Flew by," Chul Min chuckled. "So Hyun really is too mature for words. She was so focused in her scene, she didn't notice any of the jokes I made on set."

Seung Ho slightly smiled as he took a sip of his coffee. Although their scenes has been filled with intensity and screaming due to their character's hatred for each other - he has been noticing that So Hyun is mature for her young age. When she isn't filming, she is always around the corner of a room - studying her lines until she is told to come on set. As much as he wants to become more comfortably friendly with her, it's a bit hard. As professionals, they do their job as actors. But on a personal level, they're still as awkward as ever. "Sunbae, I got you a present." Seung Ho rushed over to his backpack and took out a wrapped present. "Happy Birthday."

"Aigoo," Chul Min took the present and wrapped his arms around him. "You and So Hyun are too kind."

"So Hyun? She also got you a present?" 

"You're as surprised as I am, aren't you?" Chul Min finished his coffee before throwing it in the trash. "She is working with me for the first time but she even knows my birthday." He patted Seung Ho's shoulders. "Thank you."

"It's no big deal." The sounds of people laughing adverted his attention over to the door entrance. So Hee and L walked in with their arms linked around each other as they both formally bowed down to greet them. "Oh, hello."

L smiled. "Where's So Hyun?"

Director Song walked in just in time. "She's running a little late. Her company called her into the office so she has to rush there after filming. She'll make it here before the press conference starts."

"Did something happen?" Seung Ho worriedly asked with his eyebrows furrowed. 

"What can happen?" L laughed. "Probably has to grab a few things."

"I don't know," Director Song explained. "I'm sure she is fine."

. . . 

So Hyun nervously sat on the office couch as she watch CEO Kim pace back and forth. She has been sitting here for more than twenty minutes now. If a quick meeting is ordered then it should be quick. Why isn't he speaking? 

"I know you're tired, I heard you've been pulling all nighters with how hectic filming has been. Hearing you lose sleep and lack of appetite over this breaks my heart. I even thought if I am pushing you too much. Maybe you shouldn't have taken this drama. Maybe if I  - "

"I'm fine, CEO Kim." In all honesty, she isn't. So Hyun has been feeling under the weather since two days ago but she has been pushing herself to film the scenes as needed. Those scenes were to be used for the trailer that's releasing after the conference. She can't possibly lack behind the others when everybody has been working so hard. "Once this drama is done, maybe I can take that month break that I have been asking for?" It's all she wants. It's all she has been begging for two years. Just a month, one month of staying inside with no schedules.

"Of course you are fine, that's just how you are." CEO Kim suddenly took a seat across from her and smiled. "Which is why I knew that my silly thoughts of pushing you too much was nonsense. This is your chance to shine! You're doing the right thing! Sometimes people just need that little shove so they can become the next big star!"

So Hyun knit her eyebrows together. She doesn't want to become the next big star - at least not at her age right now. She's only 19, she still has to experience so much more than to be considered as anything. "That's not what I meant. When I said I'm fine, I meant that - "

"I received new contracts." 

"Contracts?" So Hyun repeated. "I can't sign for anything until I am done with the drama."

"Don't be silly," CEO Kim argued. "You can't sign for another movie or drama, that would be too much. I won't make you do something as horrendous as that." Sliding over a new stack of contracts for her, he let out a satisfied sigh. "More than five brands are asking for you to be their new face." He clapped his hands repeatedly. "This is absolutely huge! You and Yoo Seung Ho are definitely powerful - once news spread about you two starring in a drama together, I've been contacted so many times for commercials and photoshoots."

She skimmed through the contracts in completely awe. A total of 12 companies/brands wants her to become their new face. Worse, these commercials or photoshoots has to be done within two days after signing. She doesn't have time for this. So Hyun is already playing against time right now for wasting time in the office with the CEO. "I can't sign these."

"Excuse me?" CEO Kim lets out a brief, strange laugh. "Stop kidding around, So Hyun. Sign the contracts. This is a big moment for you."

For her? Or for him? So Hyun shook her head as she slid the contracts away. "We're supposed to finish filming episode 4 by today. Consistent Love is broadcasting next week, I don't have enough time to do these. It will cause harm and time restraint for the cast and crew. I can't be the one that - "

"Kim So Hyun," the way CEO Kim said her voice caused her to froze up. "I'm the CEO, you're the artist. I make the rules, you follow it. If I tell you nicely to sign these damn contracts - you sign it."

Shocked by the tone of voice he is using towards her, So Hyun was left speechless. "CEO Kim, I don't think your - "

"I'm doing this for you! You're finally rising to be a big star and you want to stop just because of a drama?" 

He's not making any sense. If it weren't for this drama, she probably wouldn't have received these offers in the first place. And it's not like she is suffering from lack of CFs or photoshoots. She has spent the last three months filming over 30 of them. She has reached to the point of exhaustion half the time. "I didn't say I want to stop. The timing for these aren't the best. I can't do these and do a drama that you wanted me to do at the same time. I'll lose myself, I'll start feeling..."

"Losing yourself is a part of this industry, Kim So Hyun. If you don't lose yourself during the process, you aren't working hard enough." 

Those words were harsh. Does she have to work to the point of not being able to do anything she loves? A week before she signed for this drama, she barely finished filming a movie. She has spent two years listening to him and only him. Dramas or movies he wanted her to take part of, she did it. Photoshoots and commercials on snowy, rainy, or extreme hot days - she did them. She has been following people's demands since the beginning of her career - So Hyun doesn't even know what she likes or want anymore. "I don't want to lose myself...." 

"If you don't, you can't become a big star. And if you don't become one, you can't stay with my company." CEO Kim stood up and made his way over to his desk. Opening one of the drawers, he took out an old contract. "I didn't want to bring this up now because I had hopes for you on staying here." He slammed the contract in front of her. "Your contract with us is about to expire."

She stared at it with a blank mind. Has it really been seven years here? Has it truly been more than ten years since her debut as an actress? Not only has she lost time as her own person but she has been working upon demands so much that ten years as an actress has really flew by. "You won't sign with me again?"

"Not if you act like this," CEO Kim answered. "I don't want someone who won't listen. Being a celebrity is hard. Being able to keep your status and chase after that big chance to shine is even harder. I don't want someone who will sit and start wondering if losing herself as a person is okay. I want someone who is willing to dedicate themselves to this business - no matter what you lose or become like."

"Even if I start becoming someone that I don't even recognize?" Her mom has raised herself to be strong minded, determined and a woman of her own voice. Yet as she sits here and listens to CEO Kim's voice, she hasn't been doing any of that. In fact, who is she? Besides Kim So Hyun, the actress onscreen - is she anything else? For 24 hours, she brightly smiles in front of everybody because it's a natural reaction. Did she ever smile at somebody without feeling as if it was forced? What if that bright, smiley persona that's in front of everybody is just another act of hers without knowing it? She's always so careful not to hurt anybody's feelings that she tries her best to hold onto the image that they know and love. So Hyun stares at the contract and the posters all over the wall. She's not only an actress in dramas and movies. Without realizing it, she's slowly becoming an actress even in real life. 

. . . 

"I don't think I purposely chose noble heros as my projects, it just happens that way it seems like." Seung Ho answered with the microphone in his hand as he stared at room full of reporters. The cast has just began to settle down in their seats after their photo session. Only five minutes has gone into the questions and it seems like most questions are only directed towards him. "Each role I've played so far has its own unique perks and characteristic values to them. This time, playing a role that doesn't have to save people or doesn't have to do hardcore action all the time is almost refreshing in a sense. It seems awkward though that I have to wear such lavish clothes now as CEO."

One of the reporters raised his hand. "I heard your character is very arrogant and selfish, would you explain some good points that your character, Kim Dong Wook may have?"

Seung Ho gave the question a few moment of silence as he thought of an answer. "He's very arrogant and selfish like you said. Kim Dong Wook truly believes that he's the best man in the world but I think he will slowly learn that he isn't. There are so many other people in this drama that will shine more than him and he will learn or know it in a harsh way. I wouldn't say he's that selfish though. I would want to say he's very closed off and doesn't trust opening his heart to many people. He struggles in problems of relying his trust to people and this drama does very well on showcasing how he will change into a better person, I believe." 

"Kim So Hyun-ssi, this will be your first official role as a career woman despite your young age. Do you feel the pressure even more with the netizens anticipation for this new path for you?" One of the reporters asked loudly. 

Seung Ho slightly turned his head after a few seconds of So Hyun not answering the question. That's when he noticed that she was totally out of it. Her eyes were elsewhere and her hands were clenching onto the water bottle. Sensing the reporter's whispers on her behavior, Seung Ho pretends to cough as he bent down to grab his own water bottle. Softly kicking So Hyun under the table, he watched as she returned back to reality. "I'm sorry?" So Hyun asked softly. 

The same reporter narrowed her eyes at So Hyun as she repeated the question. "As this is your first role as a career woman, do you feel the increasing pressure?"

"Ah, pressure." So Hyun took a deep breath as she nervously held the microphone. Her eyes wandered around the huge conference hall as she thinks of an answer. How does she end up with this question after a day like today? "I can definitely feel some sort of pressure with this role. I'm only 19 and being a 22 year old fashion designer can be considerably hard. I researched on some designers and how young they started their career. I was a bit surprised by how young some began. With that sort of mindset, I think some pressure went away but that doesn't change the fact that I have to convince the viewers that I'm a 22 year old career woman. I hope that through the broadcast next week people can believe in my acting."

"What made you take this role? And would you explain what kind of character Chun Ji Hyo is?" 

What made her decide to take the role? Immense pressure and demand. So Hyun couldn't possibly answer like that. "I thought of the chances of receiving role like this and its low, especially somebody of my age right now. Chun Ji Hyo is a woman who strives to do her best no matter what. She's a very driven person with a straightforward personality. With her strong mind, she voices her opinions a lot." So Hyun paused, realizing the irony between the role she's playing and her real life situation. "Taking a role that's the opposite of me is interesting because I tend to compare a lot. What if I had her mindset? What if I had her personality? Would I be different than now? Would I strive to become a person who voices their opinions and chooses to do things she love more often? Or would I be stuck - " she stopped herself, realizing that she's carrying away from the original question.

Seung Ho furrowed his eyebrows as he stared at So Hyun, sensing that something about her today is extremely off. Feeling worried and confused on why is she like this, he silently turned to look at the other cast - they also had expressions on their faces that seem worried for her. His eyes adverted over to the reporters, who were now making it obvious of their displeasure with So Hyun. Taking the microphone away from her, Seung Ho decided to speak up. "I don't think So Hyun is wrong. Sometimes when I take certain roles, I tend to think of my characters and myself as a comparison a lot. What if I became a webtoon writer? What if I did become a magician? Or a man who steals from others? Thinking of how or what could your life be as a comparison is a natural way of thinking and getting into the character. Actors tend to fall into an entrapment of feeling not good enough." He could slowly see the reporters understanding and nodding their heads. "So Hyun is young so her thinking and comparing herself is very natural. Even now, at my age, I take a moment and think what if I carried on my studies? Would I become a CEO for a company like this? Don't people do this sometimes on their own?" 

So Hyun looked up at Seung Ho, silently thanking him through her eyes. Feeling apologetic that she is acting like this, So Hyun pinched herself on the arm to wake herself up. She can't cause harm to the cast or drama. Sitting up straight, she kept her eyes clear as she folded her hands and listens to other questions that were directed toward the cast.

. . . 

The cast bid their goodbyes to each other as they finished filming their last shoot of the day. After a tiring day at the press conference and fast speed to return to filming, everybody has been almost mute today. The scenes had to get done in a fast manner since the station needed the tapes by the end of tonight. So Hyun greeted her goodbye to every single crew member as she walked along the sidewalk. Trying her best to keep a bright smile on her face, she didn't want to miss anyone as they worked so hard today. Just as she was walking towards a group of females, who are in charge of the clothing, she halted her steps as soon as she heard what they were whispering about.

"Did you hear what happened at the press conference today?" One of the them whispered. "Kim So Hyun was totally acting haughty. She thinks she's too good to be listening to the questions. I told you. Young actresses like her tend to think they're the best, it clearly shows with her."

"I heard that Yoo Seung Ho had to fix her answer so the reporters wouldn't get the wrong idea." Another one started adding in. "If it weren't for him, there would be articles all over the portal sites right now slandering her attitude."

"Do you think she's fake? She always walking around with a bright smile on her face. What if it's all fake? It would be scandalous if she is a rude, obnoxious person. I get 200 dollars that she is different in real life. She can't be this nice. And especially what happened today, she is definitely capable of being someone who is a liar." 

"She is an amazing actress," a different woman said. "I bet everything that she's fake."

So Hyun closed her eyes as she start turning around to walk away in silence when she noticed that L was also standing there. Her eyes widened at the fact that he was behind her the whole time. 

He gave her a smile before he made his way over to the group of woman. "Noona, do you have my outfit for tomorrow?"

"Oh! Myung Soo!" The woman who said the most about So Hyun turned and handed over his outfit. She froze when she noticed So Hyun nearby. Her eyes widened in surprise but she tried her best to stay composed. "Take good care of it, okay?"

"Don't worry," L answered. He took the clothing and started walking away but snapped his fingers as if he forgot something. "Oh! Noonas, did you hear?"

They all smiled and stared at him. "About what?"

"I heard that nosy people who spread false rumors will be struck by lightening today," L said with a smile. "At least that's what my horoscope says today." He briefly looked up at the sky with his facial expression filled with concern. "Damn, looks like it's about to be a rainstorm tonight. I do hope those kind of people watch out tonight." Without another word, he walked away and made his way toward So Hyun. "Don't worry about what people think or say, So Hyun." 

She didn't know what to say. So Hyun had gotten the impression that L is a really upfront straightforward guy. But what he did just now takes it to a whole another level - it's so unexpected. "Thank you....oppa."

"Oh! And she finally calls me oppa!" L chuckled as he playfully clapped his hands. "I was a bit jealous when I heard you calling Seung Ho oppa." Checking the time on his watch, he looked around the street. "It's almost midnight, shouldn't your manager be here?"

"I asked him not to come pick me up today," So Hyun held onto her phone and the scripts she needs for tomorrow. "I want to be alone for the night."

L doesn't like the idea of a young woman like her out at night. "Are you sure? Maybe I should - "

"Oppa, I'll be fine." So Hyun insisted as she waved goodbye. "And thanks for what you did, I don't know what to say."

"How about show up tomorrow as the bright, energized Kim So Hyun that we know." L glanced over at the black van that showed up in front of him. "My manager is here. I'll go first. See you tomorrow."

So Hyun watched as the van drives down the street and make a turn to the point of where she doesn't see it anymore. She briefly turned around to where the women were still standing. Most of them were glaring at her while the others avoided her glance. Sighing to herself, So Hyun clenched onto her bag and scripts as she walked down the street for a nice, long walk.

. . . 

"Why am I here at midnight again?" Seung Ho asked his manager as he walked in the CEO's office. "Where is he?"

"It's just us right now," opening his bag, he silently took out a stack of papers and placed it in front of Seung Ho. "Do you remember the contracts that I told you about?"

Seung Ho sighed as he glanced down at all the papers. Did his manager seriously make him come here to just look at contracts at midnight? "You've got to be kidding me, right?" Seung Ho furrowed his eyebrows together and looked up at his manager. "This is a joke, right?"

His manager sat down across from him, handing over a pen. "No, the company wants you do this."

"While I'm filming a 20 episode drama?" Seung Ho questioned. "Is this payback? The company is doing this because I took a year break, isn't it?"

"Seems like so," the manager answered. "Your name has been trending on sites a lot more frequently now. Seems like your popularity is rising like before after you signed up for the drama with Kim So Hyun. The company doesn't want you to lose your chance of shine again like when you were 19." 

"Lose my chance to shine?" Seung Ho repeated. "I decided to enlist at 19 because I wanted to run away. I don't care about shining or whatever." Sliding the contract towards his manager. "I'm not signing it."

"You're going to sign it." The sound of his CEO's voice caused Seung Ho to turn and look toward the door. With a pair of sunglasses on him and a bright colored suit, CEO Lee took a seat on the nearest chair. "Seung Ho, sign your name."

Seung Ho narrowed his eyes at him. "CEO, you can't possibly tell me that you think filming a drama and movie at the same time is productive. I'm more likely to fail than anything else if I work on two big projects at the same time."

"You won't fail," CEO Lee reassured him. "You've been a professional at this since you were 6. I trust in you."

"I'm not signing it," Seung Ho said in a stern tone. "I just finished filming episode 4. We're about to start 5 and 6 tomorrow, the cast and crew needs my 100% attention. I can't possibly work on a movie too. The schedules will eventually conflict with each other."

CEO Lee got up from his seat and nodded his head. "Fine," taking out a different contract and slamming in front of Seung Ho. "Then sign this instead."

Seung Ho's eyes widened at the title of the contract - Yoo Seung Ho's Real Life. He skimmed through the contents of the contract, not believing what he is reading. "You want me to film a three month reality show? My whole personal life put out there? No." 

"Either you do this or," tapping the movie contract with a smile. "That." CEO Lee sighed out loud. "I've been wanting to do something like this. And recently, your popularity has really skyrocketed thanks to those pictures at the food stall. Don't make me use my authority on you, Seung Ho. I'm giving you a choice. Like how I let you take that year break."

"You call scheduling commercials and photoshoots every month a year break?" Seung Ho questioned. He's doing it again. Testing his authority against him. CEO Lee knows that Seung Ho won't stand to have even more of his personal life put out there for the world to see. It's already something that he can't control on a regular basis but to tell him to let cameras into his own home? Absolutely no way. "I'm not doing the reality show."

"As expected," CEO Lee smirked. "Now, just sign the movie - "

"I'm not doing the movie either." Seung Ho interrupted.

"Ya, Yoo Seung Ho..." 

Seung Ho sighed out loud as he narrowed his eyes at him. "You care more about reputation more than anything. How would it look like toward the public if they find out that I signed up for a movie and drama at the same time? What would my fans automatically think? Do you think they will look upon the company kindly?" 

"Are you threatening me, Yoo Seung Ho? Don't forget that I'm the CEO and you're the artist..."

"I'm the artist for this company but I also believe that my contract is almost up, right? To be honest, I've been tired over the constant schedules you have been forcing upon me. I've said nothing thus far because I didn't want Min Soo, my only manager since the beginning of my career, to be fired." He glanced over at Min Soo and sighed. "But enough is enough, don't you think?" His level of patience has reached its point. Especially after the food stall incident. Instead of being the company that handles all his media, they instigated further more by pushing the image of how "fun" "kind" "normal" he is everywhere at certain Seoul food stalls to make more money. There is a fine line between working as a celebrity and having his own personal life. Sure, it comes with the fame but what also comes with life is the feeling of freedom. Seung Ho has been feeling more restraint and suffocated than anything. The struggle of balancing between his work and personal life is becoming more exhausting than he ever imagined. "I'm not signing these contracts."

"I already promised the director of the movie that you will take part!" 

"That's not my problem but yours, right?" Seung Ho said back. "CEO Lee, I know what you're trying to do. I don't care if you make me do commercials or photoshoots, I'll take them without complaints. But filming a movie during a drama that barely just started? It's crazy. I understand that you want to help me regain the kind of popularity I had when I was a child actor but certain things can only last for so long." 

"Seung Ho..."

"CEO-nim, as unhappy as I am with how the public is already invading my personal life after the food stall incident. There is still that tiny happiness I get when I act. Please don't make me hate what I do for a living." Seung Ho begged softly before taking his jacket and keys off the table, leaving the manager and CEO behind in the room as he walked out. 

. . . 

Taking slow footsteps around the sidewalk in Seoul, So Hyun has been walking around for more than an hour now. Maybe it's because she has never been able to do this certain kind of walk, the streets are a lot quieter than in daylight. Before, she would ask her manager to drive her around so she could clear her mind. Now, with the amount of intense pressure on her, she doesn't think being in the same room with somebody that works with her company is the best idea. 

Her manager would try to convince her in taking part of the CFs and photoshoots. He would probably use the pity card on how it could affect him, knowing very well that she would give in. No wonder she's a doormat. She has let CEO Kim walk all over her by giving insane amount of demands and schedules without muttering out a single word. And if she has an ounce of refusal in her, the manager would say his piece on how he needs to make a living. The most infamous phrase that's between them - "No One Says No to CEO Kim". 

So Hyun looked up at the street sign and smiled a bit to herself. Rushing towards the small red tent, she walked through the entrance. "Beautiful Halmoni, one order of - " she paused once she saw Seung Ho sitting at the corner of the tent eating spicy rice cakes. "Oppa...."

Seung Ho's eyes widened at the sudden appearance of So Hyun here. "Oh, So Hyun..." he stood up from his seat and pointed toward the chair across from him. "Halmoni, please put her order over at my table."

Sitting across from him, So Hyun awkwardly smiled. "I didn't actually expect to meet you here one day." 

"I got hungry while driving around to clear my mind," Seung Ho said. "What are you doing around here at this time?"

"I was clearing my mind by walking around..." So Hyun answered softly. She bit her bottom lip as she held her hands together. If it weren't for him today, she would've been all over the sites with reporters slandering her. "Oppa, I....I want to say..."

Seung Ho took a sip of his water. "You don't have to say anything." He looked up at the halmoni as she placed So Hyun's order on the table. "You had a moment, people have that. Don't have to explain anything." She nodded her head slowly as she quietly ate her rice cakes. He watched her facial expression carefully as he ate his own. Quietly, taking out a couple of candy from his backpack, he placed it in front of her. "Eating sweets help."

She stared at the wrapped candy, the same kind that he also shared with her during their first script read. "Thank you..." So Hyun cleared as she kept her head down and slowly ate her rice cakes. 

Not knowing what to exactly say, Seung Ho continued eating his own rice cakes. He adverted his attention over to the halmoni who was humming along to her radio, a song that's probably from the late 70's. Quietly, he watched as So Hyun sat there in complete silence. "Should I tell you a story this time around?"

"I'm sorry, did I make it awkward?" So Hyun looked up. "I didn't mean - "

"No, no." Seung Ho shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. "Since you shared a story last time, maybe I should." Seeing how she's not reply, he took that as yes. "When I was 19, I went through a phase. My company and parents were adding this amount of pressure on me to advance into another role that I didn't want to take. At that time, I didn't feel like acting anymore. I actually wanted to run away." He started poking around the rice cakes as he continued talking. "They were against it. My popularity was just rising further more and I had all these commercials lined up for me. Threats were thrown around by my CEO, saying how I am under contract and I should follow his orders." Seung Ho took a deep breath and shrugged his shoulders. "Since I was 6, I never made a decision for myself. I followed what either my parents said or what the company wanted me to do. I felt suffocated as if I couldn't breathe anymore. That's when I realized that I didn't even know what I liked besides acting. Almost as if I was..."

"Losing yourself?" So Hyun finished for him. It's the exact feeling she is having right now. "Is that why you enlisted early?"

"I chose to run away, the first decision I made since I started acting." Seung Ho smiled at her as he took another bite of the rice cakes. "And maybe it's because I was away from the acting industry, I actually started missing it. Spending time in the army, I started realizing what I like doing or didn't like. Even better, I learned a lot about myself."

"What about now? Do you feel like running away again? Especially after the food stall incident?" 

Seung Ho gave her question a couple of seconds. "Honestly? Sometimes I'm not as happy as I want to be but the small ounce of happiness that I still have right now is from acting. I don't think I can leave acting behind. I think it became a lot easier after I learned that voicing my opinions is more important than anything else. Staying silent and trying to make everybody happy around me only does harm. They can't possibly understand how I feel if I kept inside the whole time. And worse, I wouldn't have been able to understand myself better if I did." He looked around the dark sky from inside the tent and sighed. "So Hyun, you're at the age where you start wondering about certain factors in your life. Holding yourself to the people's image of how they look at you is normal. Truth be told, I'm still like that. But what kind of image people hold you as or how people think of you, that's their own problem. What's more important is how you see yourself as."

"What if I don't even know how I want to be like? Or even who I am?"

"Kim So Hyun is a young woman who is still learning the ropes of the world. Not knowing who you are or what you like at your age, it's as normal as it can be." Seung Ho gave her a reassuring smile. "Start with what you actually know what you like and go from there."

"What do I do if I am given contracts I am forced to sign...." 

Seung Ho placed a couple of bills on the table. "To start understanding yourself, what do you think you should do about the pressure? Where should you start in order to finally start learning more about who you actually are? Think deeply from inside your heart. Don't think as Kim So Hyun, the actress that people know and love. Think as Kim So Hyun, the young woman who also happens to be a normal human being." 

So Hyun lets out a small smile as she put a piece of candy in , giving everything that Seung Ho just said a second thought. "Thank you for the story."

. . . 

CEO Kim smirked to himself as soon as he saw So Hyun walking toward his office through his glass door. "So Hyun-ah, I knew you would come back after you did proper thinking. The contracts are on the table. You can sign them and I'll given the brands a phone call so we can schedule the next two days." 

So Hyun held her hands together to keep them from shaking too much. "I'm not signing them."

He stopped dialing on his phone and furrowed his eyebrows together in frustration. "Kim So Hyun, what do you think you're doing? If you don't sign these, you're not going to resign with this company."

"That's why I came here," So Hyun placed a check on the table and took a deep breath. "I want to be a free agent. I'll pay the contract cancellation fee and then I'll be out of my way."

"Wait, what?" CEO Kim rushed over to the table and stared at the check as if she's crazy. "You can't do this. If you leave now, you'll be out of a company. Who will handle your media? Who will handle your schedules? Your upcoming photoshoots? Contracts signings? So Hyun, don't be stupid. You can't possibly think that running away from this is a good idea."

"I'm not running away," So Hyun corrected him. "I'll still do what I need to do as an actress especially for the drama that I'm a part of right now. I'll handle my own schedules. In order not to lose myself in the process, I have to walk away from those that pressures me. For years, I've held back what I wanted to say and did everything that you wanted me to do. Now, it's time for me to decide what I want to do after I act in this drama. Take actual breaks to enjoy my time alone and learn hobbies that I always wanted to." 

"Don't be crazy. Where's your manager? I'm going to need to have a talk with him." CEO Kim was about to call the manager when So Hyun placed another check in his hand. "What is this?"

"His cancellation fee," So Hyun said. "He's coming with me. He's not happy here either and I don't want him to stay and suffer." She gave CEO Kim one last formal bow before she walked out of the office. 

. . . 

Seung Ho spread his legs apart again for the stylist to fix his hair for a scene. He narrowed his eyes at So Hyun's name trending on the site again. Clicking on it, his eyes widened as he read the article. 

Actress Kim So Hyun has left her longtime company of 7 years after deciding that they don't match. This may come as a shock to many as she will be considered as a free agent for the time being. Without a company to take care of her, a lot are wondering what can she do on her own. As one of the rising young actresses in the industry, many are confused with her choice to leave. Kim So Hyun is currently starring in the most anticipated drama of the year with actor Yoo Seung Ho in Consistent Love that will broadcast next week. 

"Good morning!" So Hyun's bright voice carries out throughout the set as she greeted every crew member. She walked over to Seung Ho with her own script in her hands. "Hi."

Seung Ho stared at her facial expression carefully. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." So Hyun answered. 

He glanced down at her shaking hands, a small smile spread across his face. Quietly, he reached over to clasped his hand over hers. "Everything will be okay, So Hyun. I'll be here if you ever need me."

She lets out a small smile. "Thank you."

"Filming starts in five seconds!!!" Director Song screamed out as he walked over to the monitor. 

Seung Ho and So Hyun turned their heads toward the camera to do the last minute camera check. With the countdown beginning and the sound of Director screaming out action, the both of them quickly got into characters. 

. . . 

author's note: wow! so many amazing comments! you guys are so amazing! thank you so much! I'm so glad that you guys are liking the story so far. as the story has finally hit the point, the development between YSH/KSH will appear more often! (: I hope you all like this chapter! please comment and subscribe! thank you!