Chapter 1

Different Is Better

Chapter 1

2 unread messages. 1 missed called from 우리 언니 (My Sister)

Said Yasmine’s phone as she picked it up. Yasmine had been cooking and missed messages and a call on Kakaotalk from  her internet friend, Kari. Yasmine and Kari had known each other for almost a year and they lived on opposite sides of the United States. Kari had just got a new classmate from South Korea and she was so excited she called Yasmine right away and told her about her.

“Her name is YeonJu and she’s so shy. But we talked for a really long time. I have her in band. She told me I’m awesome at playing the tuba, even though I messed up a lot of time. haha” Said Kari over Kakaotalk Calling and Hanging clothes on the clothesline outside

“Omg. Wow, seems like you guys had so much fun. But, Tell her to message me on Kakao! Tell her I know korean. She might be so happy if she learns I can speak her language.” Said Yasmine back.

“No, You might steal her from me!” replied Kari

“언니 please. You go to school with her everyday.”

“I know. Haha. You don’t. Be jealous!”

“You are one cruel big sister.”

“I know. Haha, I love you though.”

“Yea, whatever. That’s why I have food.”

“I want food. Feed me 여동생 (Little Sister)”

“Come get it!” Replied back Yasmine as she was annoyed because all she wanted to do was eat her food.

“That requires moving from this spot. And a plane ticket to you.” Replied Kari who was now laying in her bed staring at the ceiling. “Oh Yea, Yasmine, our year anniversary of becoming friends is coming up. What should we do? Since we graduate in a few days, i think we should meet!

“Omg. Kari, Lets! Omg. Lets go on a vacation? We’re graduating Seniors. Lets go to Korea! haha. We can meet in Florida, and catch a Plane from there. Let's spend some time in Korea together.”

Replied back Yasmine, who was now, so excited she couldn't finish her food. She had saved up enough money for a plane ticket to Korea. She had a flight to Florida, and from there she got onto a plane that went to Korea. She figured Kari could get a flight the same. And they could get onto the same flight.

“Yasmine, I don’t even speak korean that well. Why would I go to Korea? Haha, How would that even work?” Replied Kari who was starting to get annoyed at the fact she couldn't speak korean that much. Yasmine had been studying korean for many years and was fluent, as Kari had just started. Kari knew enough korean to understand. Responding was the problem.

“Kari, I'll be the translator. You know enough to know what they are saying anyway! C’mon. Actually, i'm going to go with, or without you!”

“Okay, Okay, I have money saved up. I was going to use it to buy tickets to Exo’s concert, but, i guess using it to go to Exo, is even better. Okay. Im in!”

“Yay, Kari. This is going to be fun! I’ll start Packing right now.”

Yasmine start to pack some of the things she thought she needed as she plugged headphones into her phone.

“I would start packing, but I am worried if I don’t bring the right clothes. Like would we have enough money once we transfer from dollars to won?”

Kari stood in her room now walking back in forth as she looked at the ground.

Yasmine stood up from her suitcase before putting one hand on her hip.

“You keep worrying like this you won’t be any fun once we get there” Yasmine said to Kari

“I don't know. Its just this is not planned out that much. And we’re going on a whim.”

“Kari, its okay. Lets just go. Were americans. Im sure we can find jobs.”

“Okay. I guess you’re right. Whatever,let’s do this!” Kari screamed. When she screamed that, her brother Josh looked at her with a weird look on his face. She just ignored him as she continued the conversation.

“Will you book the tickets or do I need to do that myself?” Kari asked as she now pulled the suitcase  out of her closet.

“Hmm. Well. I already have my ticket. I might have some left over money. If you want to save your money for while we’re there?” Yasmine responded as she looked at her online bank account.

“It's your choice. I just don't really know how to book a ticket. So help me ?”

“Well, if that's the case, it's really not that difficult. But, it's okay, just save your money for food and stuff. I have enough for another ticket and some more to keep playing around with it.”

“Omo I lovee youuuu so much. Cause the few times I have gone out of the USA my mom always book the tickets to Germany” Kari smiled as she started throwing clothes she thinks she will need for korea. Throwing in a few things she got from Yeonju.

“Every time i went home to Greece, I have had to book the tickets. My mom wanted me to be able to travel any where i wanted anytime I wanted without having to ask anyone for help or anything.”

Kari stood up with one hand on her hip now looking at the half stuffed bag.

”Do you think there is anything necessary to bring to Korea. Like anything else but the normal toiletries?”

“Hmm. You might need to bring other things. Maybe, hmm, I don’t know, candles , or books? We might need candles because we will be extremely jetlagged and were going to be staying with JaeMin and will be up when it’s his nights, and so, we don’t want to disturb him with us being up. So, we’ll use the candles to light our way.” Yasmine said because she knew Kari would ask her why they would need candles.

“But I have a flashlight app on meh phone. So I am not bringing a stupid candle”

“Whatever, but when your phone dies and you don’t have any light to go by, don’t come to me. Looking for a way to the bathroom through his house.” Yasmine said as she packed her candles.

“Whatever Yasmine. Oh, by the way, does JaeMin know we’re even coming.” Said Kari as she was attempting to close her suitcase.

“Yes, he told me what flight to take and what trains to take.” Yasmine said as she finished packing and she started to sit down.

“Well That’s good. Well, I need to finish cleaning right now. So, I have to get off. But, I will see you in 3 days” Said Kari as she started walking towards her kitchen

“Okay. Bye Kari!” Yasmine said as she hung up. Yasmine could already feel this was going to be a good trip. She felt it in her bones.