Angel and Devil

Devil's Retribution

Like all wars, they must come to an end. And after all wars, there must be a healing. For the thirteen of them, that was exactly what happened.

 

The sounds of birds chirping obnoxiously outside was what awoke Joshua that morning. Eyes half closed, Joshua reached his hand to his left only to realise that Jeonghan was not in the bed with him. Instead, his side of the bed had been tidied, clothes folded and sheets tucked in.

 

Joshua withdrawed his slender arm and sat up in bed. Satisfied with being the only one in the room, he took off his shirt and dressed into a new pair of clothes.

 

Even from the second floor, Joshua could smell the stench of coffee drifting into the room. He smiled to himself and made his way downstairs.

 

“Good morning,” Joshua ran his hands through his hair and walked up to Jeonghan.

 

“Morning,” Jeonghan laid a small peck on Joshua’s lips and held out a steaming mug. “Coffee?”

 

Joshua flushed slightly, receiving the mug with two hands, “Coffee with milk?” He guessed, lowering his face to the cup and sniffing it with a small smile on his face.

 

“Yep,” Jeonghan smiled, taking a sip from his own cup. “Same as me.”

 

Joshua stepped towards Jeonghan until he was leaning against him slightly. There, the two of them drank from their cups of coffee and enjoyed the chirping of the birds that had suddenly become so melodic.

 

“It’s been awhile since we’ve went to the cafe,” Joshua mentioned randomly, “maybe we should go sometime?”

 

Jeonghan looked off into the distance, “I don’t feel like seeing them. Do you want to?”

 

Joshua smiled nostalgically, “We don’t have to go. If you don’t want to see them, I don’t mind not seeing them either.”

 

Jeonghan looked at Joshua with surprisement on his face. Joshua seemed to sense this, “They’ll come if they miss us, isn’t that right?”

 

Jeonghan smiled gently, “That’s right.”

 

~

 

“Can we get a coke and a lemonade?” Mingyu waved his hand towards the two figures at the counter.

 

“Are you paying?” Seungcheol raised his eyebrow at Mingyu.

 

“Tch,” Mingyu smirked, “fine fine, you cheapskates.”

 

Seungcheol gave a smile of content and began to make their drinks. “Woozi, can you get a can of coke?” The boy addressed someone bent over next to him.

 

“Sure,” The petite boy smiled at the elder and disappeared beyond the corner.

 

“Hey, Wonwoo,” Mingyu turned his attention to the person sitting next to him. “Do you think they’ll come back here?”

 

The cafe seemed eerily peaceful. Seungcheol and Woozi had considered opening the cafe up to the public legitimately, but that was still in the works. The cafe had never seemed so empty. It was a feeling none of them were used to.

 

The boy next to him smiled, placing his hand on top of Mingyu’s, “Even if they don’t come back, we can always visit them.”

 

Mingyu smiled, obviously glad with Wonwoo’s answer, “You don’t think Jeonghan will shoot us?”

 

The question was more of a joke more than anything, but Wonwoo seemed to take the question seriously.

 

“Jeonghan won’t kill us,” Wonwoo said, “he won’t be killing anyone anytime soon.”

 

~

 

“So, what now?” Jun questioned, leaning his head onto Minghao’s shoulder.

 

The two of them were sitting on the docks of a small lake, their feet dangling off of the docks into the water. Minghao looked off into the horizon, “I’m not sure.”

 

Up until the mission, none of them had thought about what would happen afterwards. If they would come out alive, they couldn’t of been sure of that either. Now that it was over, they didn’t know where to go.

 

“Jun?” Minghao glanced over to notice that Jun had drifted off into slumber. His purple hair radiating from the sunset off in the horizon. “You must’ve suffered a lot.” Minghao used his free arm to brush the hair out of Jun’s eyes. “I’m sorry.” Minghao’s face was plastered with guilt. He was the one that had brought Jun into this world, and there hadn’t been a day where he hadn’t regretted it.But Jun had never complained. Never gotten angry or wondered why he was in this world to begin with. He had only been grateful to be with Minghao, trying his hardest to keep up with him and protect him.

 

“And I love you.”

 

~

 

“Everyone, quiet down!” A middle aged woman slammed down a binder onto her stand. Immediately, all the chatter that had filled the room vanished. The woman smiled, “Today, we have a new student in our school. You may come in now.”

 

All the students’ eyes were on the door and when it was opened, a boy stepping into the class, they leaned even closer in their seats.

 

The boy had well-groomed black hair and a fresh crisp school uniform.

 

“Introduce yourself now,” The teacher coaxed.

 

The boy looked at the students in the class, his eyes expressing feelings of nervousness. He bowed ninety degrees. “My name is Lee Chan, let’s get along well.”

 

There was a loud cheering sound as the students in the class began to clap.

 

“You may go sit over there in that empty seat. The rest of you, open your math textbooks to page 245.”

 

The teacher’s voice was filtered out from Chan’s ears as he walked to the back of the classroom. He sat down on the empty seat, somewhat happy that his desk was next to the window. Chan smiled wearily. This was going to need some getting used to.

 

~

 

“Hey, I know it’s only been like a week, but we should go visit the cafe sometime,” Dokyeom smiled cheerily, leaning back in the front seat of the moving car.

 

“Agreed,” Seungkwan yelled from the backseat, “It’s too boring with the four of us, no offence.”

 

“None taken,” Hoshi smiled, looking at Seungkwan through the reflection of his rearview mirror. “Someone ask Vernon.”

 

Seungkwan and Dokyeom looked to Vernon in the backseat. “Nope, there’s no way we can wake him up.”

 

Vernon had his arms crossed and his eyes closed. He was wearing a set of headphones, music blasting so loud that even the three of them could hear it.

 

“Well, three out of four is the majority.” Hoshia smiled and slammed down on the pedal.

 

~

 

“Where are we going?” Joshua questioned from his seat in the back of the car. Jane was in the driver’s seat, her eyes peeled on the road.

 

“Yeah, good question,” Jeonghan looked to Jane as well.

 

Jane smiled despite her concentration on driving, “Really can’t keep any secrets from the two of you, huh?” She slowed to a stop at an intersection. “We’re going to visit Renee.”

 

“What?” It took the two of them moments to realise what Jane was getting at. They were going to see her grave.

 

“Joshua, I took you once a while after you had healed up. After that, I never took you again though,” Jane’s smile had turned slightly sad, “I didn’t need you to be reminded of her every year that passed. Jeonghan, you’ve never been so this will be a first for you.”

 

“Hopefully not the last,” Jeonghan replied, his gaze now elsewhere.

 

Joshua leaned forward as much as his seatbelt would allowed. “We didn’t buy any flowers though.”

 

Jane chuckled at Joshua’s comment, “Of course I bought some. Don’t worry.”

 

This was when Joshua had realised. All those years while he had been oblivious, Jane had been visiting Renee’s grave. Jane had been doing this every year since Renee’s death.It was okay. Joshua’s hand reached for Jeonghan’s hand.

 

This was a new start for both of them. They had left that world, and entered another. No longer devil and angel, simply, Jeonghan and Joshua.


A/N: It's finally over! Thank you all the readers who have been following me throughout this story. As my first JiHan fic, I'm happy with the attention that's it's gotten. Your comments have really helped me get through all the writing, so it's really all you guys. I'll be thinking of a new fic soon, so if you enjoy my writing, stay tuned for that. I really have to thank my friends @joshushushu and @lietothedevil for helping me with feedback and ideas ^^ Give them some love, I'm sure you've heard of their fics before~

It was a wild ride, and I enjoyed every moment of it. Thank you all <3