Loose Ends Tied

Devil's Retribution

The five boys took the minutes of silence to rest themselves. Wonwoo had fallen back asleep with Mingyu at his side. Even Seungcheol and Woozi had given into the lull and nodded off. Now, only Joshua and Jeonghan were still awake. After the call, the two of them had taken a seat against the wall.

 

“Jeonghan, who are the others?” Joshua whispered, just loud enough for Jeonghan to hear.

 

Jeonghan did not turn his head towards Joshua, and he did not speak, giving Joshua reason to believe that he had not heard him.

 

“Jeonghan?”

 

“The other’s are Dokyeom, Hoshi, Hansol, Seungkwan, Jun, Minghao, and Chan,” Jeonghan stared straight ahead, “Dokyeom, Hoshi, Hansol, & Seungkwan travel together for the most part. They’re responsible for a lot of the larger jobs and missions. Jun and Minghao travel together as well, besides me, Minghao’s the only one who can kill. Then there’s Chan,” Jeonghan took in a deep breath before continuing. “Chan is the youngest out of all of us. He was just recently injured in one of his missions, a bullet wound in his leg. He won’t be able to fight.”

 

“But… he’s still coming?” Joshua questioned.

 

“Jun and Minghao will pick him up from his home, he won’t be able to fight, but he’ll still be useful,” Jeonghan smiled gently. “He’s the one who supplies most of our bombs and grenades. Of course, if we had the choice, we would’ve waited until him, Wonwoo, and I were healed from our injuries.”

 

Joshua frowned, “But-”

 

“Yeah,” Jeonghan sighed, “we don’t have the time. I thought we did, but soon we’ll be trapped like mice. We need to act now.”

 

~

 

“Be careful, watch your heard… and your leg,” Hoshi bent to the side so he could see Chan standing outside the car. “Hansol, help him in would you?”

 

A pair of hands took Chan’s crutches away and another pair lowered him down into the front seat gently. Chan eyes were lined with dark circles, but despite that, he seemed to be in good condition.

 

“How’ve you been, Chan? Your leg healing up?” Hoshi said as he the engine, revving the pedal loudly.

 

“Eh,” Chan shrugged his shoulders, “It’s seen better days.”

 

“Hansol, Seungkwan, hurry and get in,” Hoshi revved the pedal again.

 

“Hold on!” Seungkwan said in a very middle-aged woman seeming voice.

 

Hoshi could hear Hansol’s small laughter, “What are you two doing?” Hoshi stretched his head out to see Dokyeom and Seungkwan utterly struggling under the weight of a giant black bag. Meanwhile, Hansol was busy laughing at the two to bother helping them carry the luggage. “Gosh,” Hoshi leaned his head back in, “what the hell are you bringing with you, Chan?”

 

“Be careful with that,” Chan warned before ducking his head back in as well. “You know, the basics. Smoke bombs, gas bombs, stun rods, regular grenades, timer bombs, extra parts and wires. You know, the basics.”

 

Hoshi ran his hands through his thick black hair, “God, we’re going to die from your explosives before we even get to Woozi’s and Seungcheol’s house.”

 

~

 

“Jun? Do you want to switch with me? You should rest for a while.” Minghao suggested from the passenger seat. The pair had been driving for five hours straight already, both of them determined to arrive at the meeting point before dark.

 

Jun simply shook his head without removing his line of vision from the road. They were on the outskirts of town, long highways, a lack of other cars, and an incredibly dreary scenery. “You need to be in your best condition. The other’s will be counting on you definitely, you know that.”

 

Minghao looked at Jun carefully. His dirty blond hair was slicked back from his constant instinct to brush his hair back. Under his eyes, bags were beginning to set in. They had both had it rough. The two of them had been far north, completing a rather difficult mission that took a total of two weeks to finish up. They were both exhausted.

 

“Still, it’s not safe for you to be at the wheel too long without a break.” Minghao frowned.

 

Jun took a split second to glance in Minghao’s direction, giving him a warm smile. “Don’t worry, I’m stronger than you remember. Go back to sleep.”

 

Whenever Jun smiled, Minghao felt his whole world become brighter. He let out a sigh, “Fine… but wake me up if you need to take a break.” He leaned back into the chair rest and closed his eyes.

 

Jun took that moment to look at Minghao. They had both suffered injuries, Minghao taking most of the burden for that. What Jun wanted most was to let Minghao rest, not take a job for another week or two. But that was a pipe dream. This plan was now, or never.

 

~

 

Joshua and Jeonghan didn't need to check to know the other's had arrived. The other's in the room also awoke at the commotion from downstairs.

 

“They're loud as always,” Mingyu gave a crude smile and gripped Wonwoo’s hand tightly. “Feeling any better?”

 

Wonwoo winced as he sat up in the bed, his free hand gripping his side. “Don't underestimate me, Mingyu. I'm ready to fight anytime.” Wonwoo’s confident words were accompanied by a cough, earning a worried eye from Mingyu.

 

Joshua searched for Jeonghan's hand and gripped it tightly. They waited, loud footsteps making their way up the stairs. Joshua was scared, to be honest. Even though these people were supposed to be on their side, they still worked for the same boss. They were similar to Jeonghan in a way.

 

“Look's like the whole gang is almost here,” An unrecognizable voice spoke and it was at that point that Joshua had realised they had entered the room.

 

“Seungcheol, Woozi, long time no see,” Hoshi smirked and shook their hands.

 

Dokyeom looked to Mingyu and Wonwoo, “Looks like you two have been through a rough time, huh?”

 

Wonwoo smirked wearily, “Long story.”

 

“Where's the other's?” Mingyu was referring to Seungkwan, Hansol, and Chan.

 

Hoshi ran his hand through his hair, “Those two are helping Chan carry in the equipment.”

 

“Enough explosives to blow up the entire headquarters,” Another voice spoke.

 

Hansol & Seungkwan poked their heads into the doorway, Chan following behind on his crutches.

 

“Woozi! Seungcheol!” Seungkwan exclaimed, walking forward and giving each of them a big hug.

 

“We missed you too, Seungkwan, Hansol,” Seungcheol smiled warmly and nodded his head at Chan.

 

“It's been awhile since all of us have been together,” Hansol crossed his arms, a small smile growing on his face.

 

“But, who's the new kid?” Chan gestured to Joshua, who half hid behind Jeonghan.

 

Jeonghan put his hands on his hip, “He's with me. If any of you even lay a hand on him, I won't let you get away.”

 

“Ehh??” That seemed to perk Dokyeom and Seungkwan’s curiosity enough. “What's your name?”

 

Joshua kept his grip onto Jeonghan's dress shirt sleeve, “Joshua…”

 

“He's blind?” Hoshi crossed his arms.

 

“Got a problem with that?” Jeonghan bared his teeth with authority. “He won't be fighting, if that's what you're wondering.”

 

“No offence, but he would just get in the way if he did,” Hansol’s words were serious. “He's not part of this world either, right?”

 

“That's enough Hansol,” To their surprise, Woozi rose his voice. “Joshua is right there, you don't need to say things like this. We've already discussed it with him. He won't be participating.”

 

Hansol bit his lip, “Then why the hell is he-”

 

Hansol had little time to react before Jeonghan's hands were on his collar.

 

“Ngh..”

 

“Jeonghan!”

 

Jeonghan looked dead into Hansol’s eyes, his teeth bared, “Joshua stays, end of conversation. I don't think you understand the situation you're in right now. If you fight Joshua, you'll turn all the people in this room against you.”

 

Hansol took a glance at the other's in the room. Shocked, he realised that Jeonghan's words were true. Wonwoo, Mingyu, Woozi, and Seungcheol were all speaking with their eyes. Joshua was not to be touched.

 

“He's got it, Jeonghan. You can let him go now,” Hoshi stepped forward and placed his hand on Jeonghan's hand. “It looks like Jun and Minghao have arrived as well, we should start the meeting.”

 

Just as Hoshi finished his words, there was the sound of pattering of footsteps. All thirteen of them were here. The meeting was starting.

 

~

 

“Out of the thirteen of us here, the people who will not be participating are - Joshua, Chan, and Wonwoo, am I right?” Seungcheol spoke up first.

 

“I'll be participating,” Wonwoo’s voice could be heard loud and clear in the quiet room.

 

“What?” Mingyu looked at Wonwoo with wild eyes, “No way, you're not participating, Wonwoo. You almost died!”

 

“I'd advise against it as well, Wonwoo,” Jun said with a grim face, “us living through this is already a gamble. With your injuries, your chances are even lower.”

 

Wonwoo simply shook his head stubbornly. “I made a mistake, and I need to make up for it. Don't worry, I'll be able to fight just fine. I've been waiting for this day for too long, I'm not sitting back and watching. Besides, I already know when you guys plan to attack.”

 

All eyes were on Wonwoo, even Joshua was perking his ears for his voice.

 

“Next week, there'll be the annual company dinner. Everyone will be there, including the boss. If you wanted to show everyone that you’ve killed the boss and everyone is free, this is only date that you could do this.” Wonwoo continued, “I’m coming, that’s final. You guys will need every person you can get.”

 

Wonwoo’s words were true. Out of the many people working under the boss, it was only the thirteen of them that were going to fight. This fight would not be an easy one.

 

“Fine. We won’t stop you if that’s what you want to do. We all know the risks involved for this mission. Let’s just hope for the best,” Minghao said.

 

~

 

“Jeonghan,” Joshua reached for Jeonghan’s hand, “can we go somewhere?”

 

Confused, Jeonghan leaned towards Joshua, “Where do you want to go?”

 

“Somewhere you should’ve gone many years ago. The orphanage,” Joshua said with a straight face, “you should meet Jane.”

 

“No.” Jeonghan denied the request immediately, “I’m not going back there. I can’t go back there.” Memories from that day came flooding back. Jane’s face. He couldn’t meet her, he just couldn’t.

 

“Jeonghan, you should face it. Jane would never hold a grudge against you, she cared for us and loved us. You know that better than I do. What could possibly be stopping you-”

 

“You never saw,” Jeonghan bit down hard on his lower lip, “you never saw the look in her eyes when she saw me kill that man. She was terrified. Even if she doesn’t hold me against that car hitting you and Renee, she won’t be able to hold in her emotions. She’ll be terrified of me. Just like she was many years ago.”

 

Jeonghan’s voice trailed off, his gaze off in the distance. He didn’t know how he’d handle looking at Jane’s expression again. He didn’t want to face it.

 

“Is that what you really think of Jane?” Joshua’s voice had gone dark. “Is that the kind of person you think Jane is? Yeah, maybe she was terrified at that moment, but she cared for you like her own child. How could a mother be terrified of her own son? I know you’re scared,” Joshua brought his hand to Jeonghan’s face, “but trust in me. Trust in Jane.”

 

Joshua’s hands against Jeonghan’s face felt so soft and gentle.

 

“Can you trust us?” Joshua leaned his head in till they touched Jeonghan’s forehead.

 

Jeonghan closed his eyes, his heart pounding. “En.”

 

~

 

The sun was shining brightly, maybe a little too brightly. There was no sign of clouds in the sky at all, and as Jeonghan and Joshua were in the car, they could feel the heat of the sun beating down on them.

 

The whole ride to the orphanage, Jeonghan had not said a single thing. Of course, Joshua had expected that. He had to be terrified.

 

“Your hair looks pretty today,” Joshua smiled gently at Jeonghan. With the sun’s rays, Jeonghan’s striking hair showed up even more vivid in Joshua’s gaze.

 

“What are you talking about…” Jeonghan mumbled, thankful that Joshua couldn’t see his face turn slightly pink.


Jeonghan’s car slowed to crawl as they entered the residential area. They drove past the park they had spent many hours of their childhood in, then they finally reached the orphanage.

 

As they got out of the car, Jeonghan took a moment to stare at the building. It was just as shabby as he remembered. A small building with a small front yard. The walls had been repainted recently, and some parts of the walls had been replaced, but the building still looked the same.

 

Joshua made his way around the car and grasped Jeonghan’s hand tightly, “Are you ready?”

 

Jeonghan frowned, “I don’t think I am…” Saying it was a lot easier than actually doing it. He was terrified. He wasn’t ready.

 

Joshua took a step closer to Jeonghan and pulled him forwards. He reached his slender arms around Jeonghan’s body. His hand went up to the back of Jeonghan’s head. “It’s okay,” Joshua whispered in his angel-like voice. “I’m here.”

 

Jeonghan simply let himself be embraced by Joshua. He needed it. As much as he didn’t want to admit he needed help, he did.

 

“Joshua?”

 

Both of them froze on the spot at the familiar voice. Joshua let go of Jeonghan immediately, turning his head towards the orphanage, his ears straining.

 

“Jane?”

 

There was the sudden sound of sniffling and rushed footsteps before Joshua felt hands embrace him. Joshua felt her warmth envelope him and he smiled, “I’m home, Jane.”

 

“How have you been?” Jane said between sniffles, she buried his face into Joshua’s now tall shoulders.

 

“I’ve been well,” Joshua whispered, “how have the kids been? Are they behaving?”

 

Jane withdrew herself from Joshua, wiping her eyes with her handkerchief, “They’re manageable,” She smiled. Jane’s gaze was drawn from Joshua to Jeonghan. “And you are?”

 

Jeonghan hadn’t expected her to remember him, it had been many years after all.

 

“Jane,” Joshua opened his eyes and looked to Jeonghan, “it’s Jeonghan.”

 

Jane’s eyes widened slowly, and then returned to their natural size, accompanied by more tears filling them. “Come here,” She said and open up her arms.

 

Jeonghan felt his eyes begin to sting. He didn’t walk into Jane’s arms; he lowered his gaze and let his striking hair hide his eyes. Immense waves of guilt filled him.

 

“Oh…” Jane stepped forward and embraced Jeonghan tightly. She had never let Jeonghan leave her mind. After those many years, she had wondered if he was still alive, and if he was okay. She could never have imagined what he looked like now that he was grown up.

 

Jane Jeonghan’s back gently, both of them crying, “I’m sorry, Jeonghan. I’m sorry.”


A/N: Hey guys! Things are going to get exciting in the next episodes -goosebumps-. Now that all of them are together, the plan is going to start any minute ^^" Let me know what you think'll happen in the next few chapters ^^ Comments are always helpful as always~ Hope you guys are excited for the finale as much as I am~ See you soon~ Much love <3

Shoutout to ara_kt and Boku21 for upvoting ^^~ Love <3