Victim

The Loser's Girl

 

“That’s all, eommoni?” Yaerin shut the car door and walked towards Mrs. Kim. Mrs. Kim shook her head and moved her wheelchair backward. She smiled widely at Yaerin and patted at the plastic stool beside her, asking Yaerin to have a seat. The young lady did not say anything and obeyed the elder.

 

It was a sunny weekend. There was a round wooden table with four chairs at the backyard. The green synthetic grass was full with dried leaves because Seokjin used to clean it before. Now, Yaerin was his replacement. Seokjin lived in a double-storey house with a spacious backyard. Mrs. Kim planted various kinds of flowers around the house. From the entrance gate, to the backyard exit. They bloomed beautifully, but that was several years ago. Now, they all looked like abandoned plants. The round wooden table was where Seokjin and Yaerin studied together when they were preparing for examinations. Other than public library, Seokjin’s home was her favourite place.

 

For a moment, Mrs. Kim warmly gazed at Yaerin. She reached for Yaerin’s head and caressed tenderly. “I’m glad you still come here often,” she said, “although Seokjin is not around. Seokjin is very blessed to have someone like you, Yae-yah.”

Yaerin shook her head and held Mrs. Kim’s hand tightly. “Aniya, eommoni. It’s me,” she said, tapping her chest, “I’m very lucky to have Seokjin and you.” Yaerin really meant her words. “No matter what, it’s always the other way around. Seokjin and you are like angels.”

Mrs. Kim chuckled and pulled Yaerin for a warm hug. “Aigoo, our Yaerin. Send my regards to Seokjin, and ask him to finish all the food I’ve cooked for him. I’m sorry that I can only send you to meet him.”

“Yes, eommoni.”

.     .     .     .     .

“Make sure you don't leave anything behind, Miss,” the taxi driver said, teasing Yaerin. “It will automatically become mine.”

Yaerin laughed and shook her head softly. “I've taken everything,” she replied, cheerfully. Waving her hand towards the taxi driver, she spun around, facing Seokjin's institution.

The buildings were not as modern and recent as her university, however, good enough. It fit perfectly the surrounding and the ocean. Yaerin released a short but loud sigh before making her way towards the guard. The guard greeted her with a wide smile, asking her a few common questions for guests. Yaerin answered them all, almost looked like she was beaming with her face glowing in happiness. The guard chuckled, seeing how youthful and enthusiastic a young lady could be. Handing a Visitor Tag to Yaerin, he smiled widely and welcomed her.

 

She entered the campus area and held her bag full with food tightly. She walked faster, while eyes wildly glancing around. Yaerin then walked passed the huge tennis court. She blinked and tilted her head, mentally comparing Seokjin's institution tennis court and hers. It seemed like, MMI's tennis court was bigger. Yaerin pouted. She was trying to seek faults in this institution and argued with Seokjin how the guy had made a wrong decision.

 

“Yah, yah. Look there.”

Yaerin was startled, hearing a loud voice. She looked back at the court and the students there were staring at her. Some even made naughty sounds, gaining her attention. She felt extremely uncomfortable and quickened her pace. Her heart was pounding hard. When she felt safe enough, she began to walk in normal speed. With uneven breathing, she stopped enjoying the view around. However, Yaerin heard voices. It sounded like a group of boys were counting while running.

“One, two, one, two!”

Feeling restless, she bit her bottom lip. Her little fear of facing many boys at the same time made her felt uneasy. Her eyes started to get warm. However, before any drop of tears rolled down on her cheek, her eyes spotted a small and well-hidden space of pathway. The guard told her to walk straight until she saw a blue building, so that simply meant she could use any road as long as it was a straight line. Yaerin bend her body while walking quickly. The voices of the counting boys were getting louder. Soon, they faded away. It became quiet all of sudden.

 

Yaerin took a risk to stand up straight. She looked around and there was nobody. She tightened her grip around the strap of her bag. Releasing a long sigh, she bent her body back and walked. As her eyes met the sneakers Seokjin bought for her, she smiled. Somehow, it was always important to look in front when walking.

“Oww,” Yaerin hissed and rubbed her head. She was still looking down and a pair of shiny black boots greeted her. She gulped. She took a quick glimpse at the person she had accidentally hit, ignoring the fact that she barely could see that person’s face. “Jeoseonghamnida,” Yaerin bowed and left without turning back. She began to walk normally since she could already see the blue building.

On the other hand, the guy did not break his gaze from her. Although it was a second of seeing her face, it was impossible to forget. She had those half-open lazy eyes which would never sparkle for just anyone. Her cute outfit matched her adorable appearance perfectly although she did not wear mini skirts. While seeing her fading away from his view, he was hoping that she would turn around once again. However, she did not.

 

He chuckled. “Who is she?” he asked himself.

 

“Yah, Taehyung!” Someone shouted, calling out his name.

He was snapped back from his little admiration towards a young lady he barely knew. “Yeah,” he answered, “What’s up, Jungkook?”

Jungkook stopped running and was short of breath. He was panting hard. “The van,” he paused, “they all are waiting for you. Let’s go now.” Without wasting anymore time, they headed towards the second entrance gate where the institution van was waiting for them.

.   .   .   .   .

 

Yaerin set up the table with various kinds of food. She chose to have a little picnic with Seokjin outside of the caféteria where a wooden table and two long stools were provided. She put her bag under the table and rearranged the position of the containers. The dishes that were cooked by Mrs. Kim, Yaerin purposely placed them at the centre of the table; while the one she cooked, she kept them in a paper bag. Seokjin should never feel guilty to choose his mother’s cook, in order not to hurt her feelings.

“Yoo Yaerin!”

 

She froze on her spot. A smile slowly made its way on her face. Feeling a little nervous, she turned around, and Seokjin’s wide smile made her forget how to breathe. Yaerin left the food and ran towards Seokjin.

Meanwhile, Seokjin, he was already there a few minutes ago but did not immediately approach her. He leaned against a nearby lamp post, tucking both hands in his tracksuit pockets and gazed warmly at every little movement his girl made. He enjoyed seeing how perfection was even applied when she was organizing the food container. Putting this here, putting that there. When he finally decided to call out her name, he could imagine her reaction. Somehow, he never knew it would be more adorable than he expected.

 

“Kim Seokjin!” Yaerin put her arms in the air, ready to throw a hug on Seokjin.

Seokjin’s eyes widened. And when Yaerin was one step away from himself, he held her shoulder. “Yah, stop,” he whispered. Yaerin blinked, feeling confused as Seokjin was looking around suspiciously, searching for any hidden eyes. When he felt it was safe enough, he let his guard down. “Okay, we are safe.”

Without hesitation, he pulled her into his arms, hugging her tightly. He buried his face on her shoulder. This scent. He knew he missed it very much. Although his body smelled like her lotion, however, it always gave different vibes. Yaerin’s scent was his favourite.

 

“Yah, Kim Seokjin.”

Seokjin tightened the hug. “Hmm?”

“I miss you very much. I thought I was dead when I saw you just now.”

Hearing Yaerin’s confession, Seokjin laughed. He pulled away and cupped her face tenderly. “Jeongmal? Then…” He came closer and gave a quick peck on her nose. “Does that feel real?” He .

“Yah~” She pouted and hit his chest softly, only to get a louder laughter from him.

 

.     .     .     .     .

They walked around the campus after they had their brunch together. The campus was quiet, unlike weekdays. Most of the students would have their personal trainings, camps, marine activities or competitions in the town. The institution would be very peaceful on weekend.

 

“Here we are,” Seokjin broke their intertwined hands and jumped happily in front a building. There was a board written, Golden Hall. “This is where we all did our planking position for more than fifteen minutes.” He sulked and sat on a long wooden stool, in front of the main entrance.

Yaerin joined him and looked around. “In this hall?” she asked. “Didn’t it feel suffocating? It seems like 500 students won’t fit in here.”

Seokjin smiled. It was suffocating, sweetheart. How he wished he could say them aloud. Knowing Yaerin’s nature, she would definitely get worried, and worse, she might force him to go back to Seoul. It was pretty normal for a navy-medical school. “Nope. We somehow, made it,” he lied, “and I’m starting to have some packs on my abdomen.”

It grabbed Yaerin’s attention on the spot. She gazed intensively at Seokjin for a few seconds before giving him a mischievous smile. “Joengmal,” she said and pulled the upper part of his white shirt, under his chin. Seokjin did not say anything and held his chin high, feeling proud of himself. She peeked through his shirt and looked down at his tummy. “Wuuuuu,” she cooed.

Seokjin held his laughter. “Yah, what did you see?”

Yaerin’s smile faded, in a blink of an eye. “I didn’t see any abs, pabo!” She gritted her teeth and punched his shoulder, a little too hard for a joke.

 

Instead of hearing Seokjin cracked up, he groaned in pain. As fast as lightning, Seokjin stood up, rubbing his shoulder and turned away from Yaerin. He had been very careful and meticulous in every step he took in order to hide his wound. However, the effort was in vain. Seokjin gulped and he heard Yaerin’s small movement.

 

Having Seokjin’s back faced her, she was dumbfounded. She rose up and went closer towards him. She reached for his arm and softly held him.

 

“Seokjin-ah,” Yaerin called him. Her voice cracked, holding back herself from breaking down.

Her voice was tender. Indescribably tender that it got to his heartstring. He, too was holding the warm liquid in his eyes. Yaerin should never know about this, was what he kept reminding himself since yesterday.

“Yah, Kim Seokjin!” She lost her temper. Seokjin spun around and his gaze fell on her reddened nose. Suddenly, his tongue froze, as well as his whole body. Without waiting for his reply, Yaerin pulled Seokjin’s shirt and his bare shoulder was exposed.

 

Stitches.

For a moment, everything became very solemn. There was no colour, except than grey. No sound other than the wind. And no feeling other than disappointment. Clueless and lost. Her heart shattered into pieces. And his world shut down when tears started to roll down on her cheek. The last thing they knew were…

 

They hurt each other.

.   .   .   .   .

“I don’t know what I should do.” Seokjin cupped his face with both of his hands and released a long sigh. He was frustrated with himself. At the same time, he felt extremely ashamed because Yaerin knew what was happening in his life.

Yaerin could not say a word. She caressed his hair softly and ran her fingers through them all. She bit her bottom lip hard, regretting of how careless she was. They talked every night on phone. They texted each other, telling their days. Somehow, how could she get deceived by him easily? How could she miss his anxious tone when he said he was fine? He was not.

 

“Let’s go back home, baby,” she finally voiced out. She had been listening to him for almost an hour. How he was wrongly accused. How his body and pride were stepped mercilessly on the floor. And how he was the main target of the RTS seniors. Seokjin also mentioned one of his seniors name; and she swore she would never forget that name. Kim Taehyung.

Seokjin was startled. He uncovered his face and stared at her with his eyes widened, confused expression. “What?”

She did not break her gaze on him. Yaerin reached for his hand and held it tightly. She was more than ready to plead him. “Let’s go back home,” she repeated, “Let’s go back to Seoul.”

“No.” Seokjin shook his head and abruptly stood up, releasing himself from Yaerin’s grasp. “I’ve worked hard to enter this institution. And I am an RT student,” he laughed forcefully. “Isn’t that enough to assure you that I’m fine?”

 

Yaerin kept sealed. So, it’s a no, she received his answer. She got up as well and went closer to him. Yaerin wrapped her arms around Seokjin, embracing him. She could not afford to argue with him anymore. Time was always limited between them.

 

“Let say one day, I come to you and cry. Cry cry cry,” Yaerin said and looked up. She rested her chin on his chest, staring at Seokjin. “And I tell you that someone bullied me. Oh, yeah, I stay far away from you. Very far. Now tell me. What would you do?”

Seokjin sighed. “That’s unfair,” he complained and ruffled his hair, leaving them messy. He was totally irritated with Yaerin’s question.

“You too,” Yaerin responded. “You’re unfair. I told you everything, good and bad things. But how could you only tell me good stuff when we called each other? Did you lose your trust on me, Seokjin? ”

He shook his head eagerly and hugged her. “Yah, why are you like this? Stop holding grudge on me. You know I dislike those questions.” Seokjin chuckled.

 

Although the atmosphere became less tense, Yaerin still could not bring herself to smile. She was glad that she was in his warm hug. At least, he could not see her bitter face.

“Yah.” Seokjin pulled away and held her shoulder. “Do you want to see his face?” He raised his brows playfully.

Yaerin blinked in confusion. “Whom?”

“Kim Taehyung. The cruel RTS senior I’ve told you.” Seokjin pouted.