Chapter 11 : This Is War

Rich Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 11 This Is War

 

Rights and wrongs exist because of people’s differing standpoints, the opposing beliefs that they hold which separates them apart. Their conflicting perspectives make good and bad happen and eventually, both sides blame one another. Because of these different views and idealisms, the society is being parted with one great wall that divides, may it be the within the general public, or be even within the rich society. This contradiction generates conflicts, animosity and soon becomes a war. 

 

In rich society, particularly in their war for love, what is wrong? What is right? Who’s the good? Who’s the bad?

 

The war has begun, and she who got caught into this, she who started the battle and switched the fire, she who caused the conflict is her who wasn’t visited by drowse and never got a second of sleep for the entire night she has nothing in mind but what the next day may bring her. She remained immobile curled in the couch, hugging her knees tight while fighting against the cold and staring into a space as she witnessed the sun rising out of her closed curtains.

 

It’s such a peaceful and blessed for those who aren’t involved but not for Lisa who has been endlessly reaching out for the woman she betrayed, at least she believes so, but she receives none but the busy tone after multiple rings. Jisoo’s threat finds no passage out of her mind and this scares her, so afraid that she can picture Jennie drifting away in her conscious mind.

 

“Please, don’t take Jennie away from me…” Lisa mumbled in her prayers as she shut closed her eyes.

 

The clock hit eight in the morning and as it did, an urgent knock came into her doors, later a series of quick knocks that come along with a loud shout from her friends, “Lisa! Open the door! Quick!”

 

Lisa looked back on her door and recognized the voice, “Taeyang-oppa?”

 

Hence, she opened her door in a hurry, and from there her friends hastily invaded her place. They waste no time for this urgency that gives Lisa so much apprehension. The burden is written all over their faces. The restlessness as they pace around the living room speaks of bad news. Their heaves of sighs tell so much that Lisa froze in there and could only watch them in their anxiousness.

 

“W-what’s going on?” Lisa apprehensively voice out to have her tension be cleared.  

 

Taeyang stopped from his impatient walks and faces Lisa asking directly with his arms crossed, “Have you seen the news circulating online? It’s just released minutes ago so we immediately came to check on you.”

 

“Well… not yet.” The dumbfounded Lisa answered.

 

Bam brought out his phone and shows the news to bomb Lisa’s morning as he informs straightforward, “You’re exposed. Everything about you has been released to the public. You can’t escape and later expect to see this on the television too. The media will come after chasing you everywhere you go.”

 

“Your past… your misconducts… and every single detail about you has been out.” Minzy further pronounced.

 

Lisa is shown with a full-blown article where the headline states, ‘The truth behind the heir of Manoban, Jennie Kim’s future.’ The contents aren’t as pleasant as it seems to welcome a Sunday morning for everything on it is nothing but negativity which at the same time, unfortunately for Lisa, is all true. There are old photos of her included on the article, the photos taken by the random hooker she slept with on a night club, partying hard being a certified playgirl who never settled into one.

 

“What the…” Lisa’s left stunned and speechless, with in wide.

 

The harassment doesn’t end there for it goes deeper into her personal life as she scrolls down. The article didn’t only expose of her behaviors every night, but with the fact she’s also only a high school graduate, completely far from Jennie’s standards and how she’s pursuing her selfish wants to dance, even included the fact she’s on a dance group joining a competition. And the long article goes on and on that Lisa’s starting to get dizzy from reading more of it.

 

“Not only are the netizens reacting to it. Even some business people strongly comments on this, some disagrees on the engagement.” Taeyang said as he flashed business news.

 

Bam also follows as he snatched the phone away from Lisa’s frozen hands, “Don’t read any more comments. It’s just a battlefield full of criticisms. I’m sure even you don’t want to read any of it.”

 

It’s morning but Lisa is having her worst nightmare, the worst case scenario that she thought of all throughout the night she stayed awake. It has come down to this, the war that she triggered herself. This news that blasted the whole of her cannot be stopped and cannot be unfastened. She has nothing to hide anymore. She cannot escape and run away from this mess anymore. She’s completely cornered as her mask is totally broken from the public.

 

However, despite of being in this situation, Lisa still asks foremost, “How about Jennie? What are the people saying about Jennie? Are the netizens harassing her too?”

 

“N-not really it’s only that almost everyone is saying that she should break up with you. I’m n-not totally sure though. I haven’t checked the other sites.” Minzy honestly informed and got a little staggered from those piercing looks in Lisa’s eyes.  

 

Lisa exhales in relief as she drops her strained body down the couch, “That’s great. As long as Jennie is untouched then I’m fine…”

 

“Do you have any idea who can do this? Just look at the news, it’s so well-detailed as if the source knows everything about you. This can’t be just some random paparazzi out there trying to chase Jennie and you.” Taeyang questioned as he speculated.

 

Right, the article gives too much information. Her identity that she has been trying to keep and the real her that Jennie desperately tried to cover is all exposed bare, as if she was stripped in front of the world’s eyes. These facts shown are too impossible to be known, unless it’s done by someone powerful and someone who has seen the worst in her.

 

Thinking of this, Lisa came into her conclusion. There’s only one person who came into her mind, a person manifesting that devilish grin she had just seen the night before. The image of her made Lisa groan under her shaking palms as she unveils, “There could only be one person who can do this to me, someone that has enough power to dig everything about me this quick.”

 

“Who?” Her friends asked in unison, expectantly staring into Lisa’s assured eyes darting in anger.

 

“Jisoo, the Prime Minister’s daughter who’s trying to get Jennie away from me, she’s the only one who has enough authority to do this kind of harassment and manipulate the world. She’s using her father’s right and power to bring me down.”

 

As soon as Lisa mentioned Jisoo name in so much anger, like it’s on a queue, her phone started ringing. The unknown number was registered as private, thus, impossible to know where and who it is coming from. They all just glared at the ringing phone like a horror at first, but considering of the current situation she’s on, Lisa’s mind that began working so wild and active can only doubt one person.

 

“Good morning. Did you like my morning present? I bet you’ve opened it.” That’s the greeting Lisa got the moment she answered the call from this serious woman.

 

Lisa clenched her other fist, upset, “I knew it. It’s you… Jisoo…”

 

“I told you, didn’t I? Everything is possible in my hands and I won’t hold back on you anymore. Be thankful that I spared your location though. You’re probably roasted in your condo now if I did.” Jisoo said in a victorious giggle.

 

“Damn you! Fight fair and square! If you want to get Jennie from me then face me! Don’t hide under your father’s suit! Get out there and fight alone!” Lisa roared.

 

But Jisoo claims roaring back at the phone, “Fair and square? Do you really know what you’re saying now Lisa? Who has been playing unfair the whole time, huh? For once, you’ve never been fair and just to Jennie yet you want me to be fair with you? You took Jennie for granted and how stupid are you to ask me for fairness. You played with Jennie’s feelings as if she’s a toy so expect me to treat you like a toy.”

 

“You’re wrong!” Lisa still contended.

 

“So you’re saying then are you are right? Who said so?” Jisoo quickly returned the banter.

 

Lisa was guilty and undeniably, Jisoo’s accusations are right and on point. Her mistakes, her regrets and her faults are too much to be snubbed. Even her can only zip and finds no valid argument to fight back on Jisoo. Lisa, of course, is aware of her own errors but never her small mind thought it would end to the worst possibility.

 

As Jisoo heard none from Lisa’s tight trembling mouth, she lastly gives her a warning, “Welcome to rich society’s war. Now, if you want to fight back then I’m on it. I’ll be waiting.”

 

Jisoo cut the call even before Lisa could bark more of her useless rants. She’s left so frustrated, all her rages came out faster than sound and just as destructive as volcano could be while her friends stand there watching her enraging. Her knuckles formed and she gritted her teeth tight not to bring more of her thunders that can demolish the entire condominium. Her face became red, suppressing her rage that could only get higher and higher.

 

Watching her breaking down onto the couch where she dropped down in drain, her friends who knows nothing of how fast events and happenings are unfolding, do nothing to stop her from burning. Therefore, clueless, Taeyang demands, “Did something happen last time? Jisoo won’t do all of this unless you did something foolish again Lisa.”

 

“We told you not to do anything stupid yet you really didn’t listen to us.” Bam sighed in frustration.

 

Being asked as such brings Lisa back to the day she left Jennie in the cold. She doesn’t want to recollect this picture of her fiancé all alone, perhaps crying as she imagined so. She cannot afford to waste any more time just sitting and raging to no one that does none to the situation, Lisa thought to herself. She’s on a crisis and she knows this and so sits no more as she grabbed her jacket.

 

Lisa turned her back to her friends and for the first time she answered them nothing but her remorse, “Sorry. It’s not that I don’t want to tell you about it. I just that I don’t want to talk about it and I want to settle this myself. I started it and so I have to end it. I’m the one to blame. If all these facts about me are all over the news, it’s all because of me and my stupidity. I want to solve this problem on my own. I’ll get Jennie back on my own.”

 

“Even if don’t say anything, we know. You wouldn’t be in this mess in the first place if you did nothing.” Minzy said so delicate not to damage more of Lisa’s emotions.

 

Yet Taeyang goes frank, “That’s your prize for being so defiant. We told you a lot of times. We kept on giving you warnings and now look what you’ve got.”

 

“Can you even go against your enemy? Remember, she can bring you to your lowest any second ahead of now. You can’t go careless anymore.” Bam asked.

 

“And that’s exactly why I’ll go on alone. This is my fight.” Lisa said determined.

 

Lisa left in a hurry but not as carefree as she can before as she stepped out wearing covers like how Jennie does every time. The tension is high and definitely it won’t go down until the war will come to an end, until one gives up and one has to let go. But surely, Lisa is resolute it’s not going to be her who’ll back down into this war. Or can she really fight a battle she’s in a total disadvantage.

 

Meanwhile, Jisoo enjoys the view of the unending comments and remarks flooding online. She currently checks on the status of her own doings from their mansion’s terrace, enjoying her breakfast like no other. There’s nothing that can make her morning brighter seeing Lisa slowly having her downfall. She feels superior, she’s in a greater advantage and this she thinks she’s about to win the race. Jisoo has turned this mad, all for the love she has for Jennie, the love she believes she can have.

 

And to witness Jisoo’s hatred is her father who eventually caught her doings; accordingly, he takes his daughter off guard, disturbing her peaceful breakfast as he provokes, “So it’s you who did it. Everyone’s feasting about Lalisa Manoban because of you.”

 

“Did your men report it to you? Well, it’s no surprise.” Jisoo coldly responded with a sip of her morning tea.

 

“Do you think what you’ve done is right? You just ruined someone’s life and it can be that you’ll also ruin the life of the person you love. While you damage Lisa’s reputation, you’re also risking Jennie’s life. Did you even think of that before you made such reckless move on exposing your enemy? Have you forgotten that Jennie is in her side and not in yours yet?” The Prime Minister went on confronting his defenseless daughter.

 

Certainly, exposing Lisa does affect Jennie and Jisoo only partly realized it now that she’s being enlightened from her dark evil thoughts. As the comments from the general public goes on from them wanting Jennie to break up with the unruly heir, it soon involves Jennie alone, on how low she can get for money’s sake that she accepted the engagement with Lisa, on how disappointed they are that the decent Jennie Kim they all know was deceived by a playgirl and that Jennie can also be a rich society’s robot. All of these remarks keep on going to the point the article Jisoo released for Lisa later turned about Jennie.

 

“Now, do you see the result of your brainless acts? Don’t expect any support from me once everyone will find out about you too. I’m not going to back you up so prepare yourself.” The Prime Minister said so strict, as he observed the remorse in his daughter’s face reading further on the comments that keep on coming.

 

Still, Jisoo copes with her own beliefs, hanging onto her original purpose, “I’m not doing anything wrong! I just released the facts about Lisa and I didn’t put any falsity on it! Sooner or later, everyone will find out about her. What’s so wrong with telling everyone about her earlier?”

 

“Such a young immature mind… you’re too young to be on such war. You will never find what you’re looking for by starting this.” The Prime Ministered sighed in dismay as he couldn’t take himself to take a look at those selfish eyes of his own daughter.

 

Absolutely insulted and out of words for a dispute, Jisoo leaves her unfinished breakfast as she walks out of the terrace while she complains, “Whatever. I’m going to do what I think is right.”

 

Like what Jisoo had planned and has been wishing for, the news started to spread throughout the media, from the newspaper up to the business news which somewhat turned more into an entertainment news devouring on Lisa’s identity. And it doesn’t stop there; for even their business branching into the country is greatly affected as the sales can be felt decreasing in just a few hours upon the article’s release. It’s a huge blow, both on their business and mostly on Lisa’s personal being.

 

Hence, if there’s someone else aside from the Manoban who can be greatly affected by this issue, it’s no other than their potential partner, Jennie’s parents who have been being fed by the same news the second upon the release. As a result, they have guarded the mansion by prohibiting media to enter the subdivision they reside on. The mansion is on a total locked down from any outside sources and other possible contact while the issue is blazing on fire.

 

“How horrible this is. Who could have done this to Lisa?” Jennie’s mother gasped at the news flashed on the newspaper and some tabloids delivered by the servants they read in their living room.

 

The father reads further of the article which started with only few pages but grew larger because of the news and the people adding accounts on it, adding salt and fuel to the huge fire. Even he didn’t see this coming but at the same time, the facts aren’t surprising as anyone would feel. However, what agitates him seeing this news is the involvement of his daughter being mocked.

 

So he blames, “Because of Lisa’s carelessness, our daughter’s reputation is being damaged as well. I won’t let this pass. What is the Manoban doing that they are not shutting this news down? Why aren’t they doing anything to stop this mess?”

 

“Calm down.” His wife caressed his back as his agitation is rising every second he thinks of the worsening situation.

 

Later, a servant came informing the mad man, “Sir, Miss Lisa Manoban is here and she’s asking for Jennie. What should we do?”

 

The servant is still at the process for permission but the rash and hasty heir is already making her way in, pushing away all these servants trying to stop her from marching forward. Her eyes are burning; her strides are flaming taking huge steps approaching the couple who are watching her. The mother can see the earnestness in Lisa but the father refuses to understand determination as despise towards her is taking over his rightful mind.

 

As soon as Lisa stepped a few away from Jennie’s parents, she immediately got her head lowered down and pleads, “Please let me see and talk to Jennie. You might have heard of what happened in the past day and I know you’ve seen the news that broke out earlier. So please, let me go to Jennie and talk things out with her.”

 

“If I were to ask, I’d want to let you go and talk with her but it’s Jennie’s wish not to. We already talked to her about it last time but she seems to be still mad at you. She’s requesting for a space.” The composed mother said unfortunate to the hopeful Lisa.  

 

Lisa though keeps her head low as she asserts, “Please. I beg you. I won’t leave here unless you’ll let me see her. I really need to talk to her.”

 

The fortitude is all over Lisa and Jennie’s father can see that through her solid posture. She doesn’t waver, she doesn’t falter with her words and all are as solid and firm as rock. She holds a genuine resolve coming all the way here despite of the possibility of being tailed by the nosy media. Her perseverance is real and he can feel that. It overflows and it cannot be overlooked. Nevertheless, even though Lisa shows this much of a resolution, it didn’t move the father’s heart. It isn’t enough for him to break the ice Lisa created and caused.

 

“I won’t let you see my daughter. Do you know how much she cried the day you ditched her and left her in the cold? She never stepped out of her room and she barely talked to us about anything.” Jennie’s father decided strong.

 

Lisa went on her knees, not going anywhere and not giving up as she begs more, “I’m so sorry. Please let me redeem my mistakes. I want to pay for it.”

 

“Trouble! Trouble!” Interrupting their heating conversation is Jennie’s maid rushing down from their carpeted stairs.

 

“Why? What happened?” The parents both asked as the fear is painted all over the maid’s face.

 

The maid panted and announced promptly, “We found Miss Jennie unconscious in her room. We’re supposed to deliver her laundries but she’s down on the floor. We already called for an ambulance and Dr. Seung-hyun as well.”

 

Say no more. Upon hearing horrendous information from the cold floor, Lisa sprinted up to Jennie’s room like a hurricane, fastest among the alarmed and worried people in the mansion. Her heartbeats race with the speed of her dash and adrenaline rushed all over as her surroundings totally became a hazy and so do the sounds, with only her straight way to Jennie’s room clear.

 

“Jennie!”

 

Lisa doesn’t have time to catch all her lost breaths running from the long alley going to Jennie’s room after finding out her fiancé down looking so lifeless in the arms of the servants trying to wake her up. Emotional pain poured from every pore in her body as she quickly ran towards Jennie and replaced the servants to have her in her arms. Jennie became so much lighter and Lisa can determine that after all this time she has been with her. She looks so pale, the worst state she had seen so far. Watching Jennie like this, Lisa is starting to lose her mind.

 

Lisa gently pats her fiancé’s cheeks, trying to make her conscious in a cry coming out of her shaking mouth, “Hey, wake up. Don’t be like this. Please…”

 

“Oh my God!” Jennie’s mother wailed at the sight of her unconscious daughter.

 

“Jennie!” The father howled.

 

They tried to take Jennie out of Lisa’s arms but the breaking latter refused, wanting to keep her fiancé around her arms. Lisa’s sure she had seen this once or twice in her dreams, specifically in her nightmares where she had to wake up to it. She’s screaming on the top of her lungs while embracing onto her fiancé. Her shoulder wrack at every sob she takes with her chest pumping unevenly to chase her breaths. And with her eyes shut closed, it squeezes tears streaming down to her cheeks and let it drop onto Jennie’s cold face.

 

The aids didn’t take long as they arrived, invading Jennie’s room with a stretcher. And not long, Seung-hyun came on the scene witnessing the worst case that he can think of from that emergency call he received. Everyone’s in tears but all gave the team a space to check on Jennie but struggled to detach Lisa from holding on to the patient.

 

Seung-hyun needed force to release Lisa from the hold and tells to compose her rumbled mind, “Lisa, snap out of it. We’ll save Jennie, okay? She’ll be fine. Trust me.”

 

Seung-hyun signaled the others to keep Lisa far for him to properly check onto Jennie’s condition on the floor. She’s breathing but it’s faint. Her heart can be heard beating but it’s too weak to be recognized as normal. “How long has she been unconscious? Does anyone know?” He asked everyone while checking more of her vital signs but no one answered as no one really knows for how long it has been.     

 

“Seung-hyun, what’s happening to my daughter? Make it quick!” Jennie’s father thundered.

 

“Jennie just had her major heart attack but I’ll explain more about it in the hospital. For now, let’s quickly rush her to the nearest hospital. She needs an emergency treatment.” Seung-hyun said in a hurry and so the aids do their job.

 

The parents followed as fast as the ambulance upon the takeoff whereas Lisa stayed frozen in Jennie’s room, weak on the floor while pouring more of her tears. The war has gotten this extreme. Her idiocy has reached to this point and all she can think of is to blame herself. And the blame can only get greater seeing the newspaper on her table which she believes Jennie was reading alone and triggered her.

 

“You should go to the hospital. Miss Jennie would surely get a lot better if she sees you beside her when she wakes up.” A concerned maid approached Lisa with a towel to wipe her face from all the wasted tears and sweat dripping.

 

“Will she really be glad to see me though?” Lisa questioned herself with her deep hard sobs endlessly making her breathless.

 

Thus, the kind maid comforts in a gentle smile, “You won’t know unless you try. Well, you just have to face her father’s wrath. He’s been complaining since a while ago about you but this is war. You have to face it.”

 

“Thanks…” Lisa simply nodded but never returned a smile as she took off, belatedly following the ambulance that has long gone from the area.

 

Various articles online and on newspapers, even on the business news on local televisions have reached all throughout the nation, may it be on the countryside or especially at the urban where gossips and false statements are continuously spreading. It’s like a virus that has blown out, like every single citizen was infected by this news and feasts on Jennie and Lisa as if they are a controversial celebrity couple.

 

Even popular and well-known people are also into it, including the real celebrities whose spotlights are being taken away by the business heirs. The entertainment industry felt they are being forgotten for today that even the recent juicy news about Chaeyoung’s possible hiatus in modelling and that the wedding if off isn’t being so perceptible, all because and all thanks to Lisa’s unexpected exposure.

 

“Rose, have you heard?” The manager walked towards Chaeyoung who arrived wrecked into the company building, like her mind is out of the world with her eyes bulging brought by a sleepless night.

 

Chaeyoung responds impassive going up from the elevator, “What is it?”     

 

“What? You haven’t seen the hottest news for today? It’s like everyone’s talking about it anywhere.” Her manager glared at her in disbelief then shows her the newspaper and updates, “Lalisa Manoban, Jennie Kim’s fiancé, has been exposed to the public. It’s a full-blown article. Everything about her was revealed. You’re also hot amongst the comments, saying that Lisa disguised as your personal assistant before too.”

 

What a way to start her day. Chaeyoung was awakened by the stirring news of her ex-lover. She snatched the newspaper from her manger to have it a close read by her own. The article leaves nothing about Lisa. Everything’s stated and perfectly written. Everything is true and Chaeyoung herself cannot disagree to it, from Lisa’s misbehaviors way back then down to passion. At some point her name is also mentioned by the people but that didn’t trouble her.

 

Confused and distressed, Chaeyoung hysterically questions, “What’s going on? Why is this happening? Who did this?”

 

“No idea but perhaps someone who happens to be closed with her who eventually formed hatred against her. You know, that kind of scenario often happens in entertainment so it’s probably the same in the rich society, only that they are more brutal and cruel at it.” Her manager remarked.

 

“This is too much…” Chaeyoung scowled.

 

“And just some reports coming in, Jennie Kim was seen rushed to the hospital emergency room. Well, it’s expected though. She has a weak heart and of course, with all these things happening, there’s no chance she can handle it.” The manager further informed with another comment.

 

“No way…” Chaeyoung can only frown lower.

 

“Anyway, thanks to that your own issue isn’t that of a huge deal anymore.” Her manager said so positive, unaware of how much Lisa’s publicity affects Chaeyoung who partly blames herself deep inside.

 

Simultaneously, Jennie was successfully brought to the hospital where the doctors and other staffs turn into on full alert upon the body’s arrival at the emergency room. They can recognize the high class family on wait and the gorgeous yet unconscious heir on the bed they rolled inside which adds to the tension around the hospital. With the doors closed for the restriction, the people concerned can only stay out; waiting full of anxiety, waiting whatever kind of news will come out behind that closed door.

 

It was then as well that Lisa managed to catch up and saw everyone standing by so impatient and intolerant in front of the emergency room. She can hear some patients, the nurses on the reception area and even some bystanders she passed by gossiping but she cared none of it. What she cares the most is her fiancé whose condition is still being checked.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

The cold voice came from a side Lisa hasn’t turned at to, only to see the angry Jisoo with Nayeon holding her back questioning her existence. Indeed, meeting her once again after a short while is the breaking point of her patience, but Lisa is considerate enough not to make fuss and commotion in the midst of Jennie’s critical life and respects her enough.

 

For that reason, Lisa breaks their flaming eye contact and grouses to constr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter