Final

Prelude

 

 

 

❣❣❣

 

It was a rather dreary day for his liking. First day of classes must not be like this. It must not be with the sickening cries of the clouds or the heavy clap of thunder, not the unforgiving coldness of the rain. He heard the heavy pitter-patter of the rain outside his window, waking him from his dreamland of monochromatic lives. His hair was stuck in different places, and his eyelids seemed to have glued themselves, making his eyes difficult to open, creating a bit of phosphenes as he sat at the edge of his bed - in front of his gigantic windows.

Sehun sat up straight, stretching his long limbs from a surprisingly ‘good-night’ sleep, before his delicate fingers fumbled for his spectacles.

He now opened his eyes, astonishment tickling his fingertips as the sight before him caught the definition of the word ‘contrast’: a bright day for a rainy day, drear and gloom painted the skies with a strong shade of white and yellow. His fingers itched, urging him to hold his pencil dearly and capture the sight that is laid in front of him in a silver platter.

He must’ve known better. His alarm clock betrayed the aesthetic in front of him and he also knew that getting late in first day of classes would not create a good impression, and he must be excited, a famous professor giving his speech at the same day. The latter is what he actually looked forward to.

He dragged his seemingly leaden feet against the polished floor of his room as he forced himself to muster up all his energy to create motivation and courage out of the blue. He needs those badly and who knew if college professors wouldn’t like to skip the ‘Introduce Yourself’ part of every lecture today.

He’s not exactly the introvert type… but maybe he is. He doesn’t know. All he knew is that he has this fair share of friends and his status in the social hierarchy is above of an average person’s, though he felt grateful to have someone who he knew already at the university, at least he won’t fumble that much.

When he is ready, he called for his driver to pick him up from his penthouse to university, asking to wait for him at the carpark so he won’t get drenched by the cries of sky.

His driver opened the door of the car as soon as he saw Sehun, waiting for the latter to get inside before gently closing it and proceeding in his driver’s seat.

Sehun placed his chin on the palm of his hand, quietly staring at the things outside the window that is blurred by the continuous flow of rain. Each light they pass by becomes a blurry shade of orange and yellow, making them look like chistmas lights in a grayish rainy morning.

He finally get off the car, placing his backpack on his right shoulder as he adjusted his gray beanie, showing off his soft obsidian locks and smoothed fringe. He could feel his sketchpad inside his bag, taking a bit of space inside as he noticed its slight bounce for each step he takes.

He’s still has time to explore this building’s hallway, already loving the scent of the damp soil, crisped old books and coffee. He could hear the tiny squeak of his sneakers against the fancy polished floors of his school, feet unknowingly taking him somewhere, until he noticed that he’s already on the floor where his first lecture would start. He searched for his room easily, opting to take advantage of the opportunity to get acquainted in this building without many students milling around.

After finding his room for the first lecture, he easily found the rooms for his other lectures, thanking God that all his rooms are all in the same building. Chanyeol told him his horrendous experience of running off from building to building to catch some lectures with just a maximum of 10 minute breaks in between. Surprisingly though, the latter never mentioned anything about being late.

He sat on one of the benches, making sure that he sat on the dry part. It stopped raining, but the sun could be barely seen, hiding beneath the grayish fluffy clouds above. He revelled on the quietness and calmness of his surroundings, smiling at himself for the hope that maybe this isn’t such a bad day. He fished out his sketchad and pencil from his bag before hastily drawing the scenery before him awhile ago, thanking his memory for remembering the details.

He hadn’t noticed the time until someone accidentally bumped his shoulders, causing an unnecessary line on his drawing. Then suddenly, the quietness from before was washed away by the excited chatter of the people from the background. He looked at his watch and was relieved that there is still 7 minutes before the start of his lecture.

He didn’t have a difficult time of walking against the current of the crowd, inwardly thanking his height for allowing him to stick his head out without having much difficulty. Then soon, he could see his room, four minutes before the bell rings. He was so determined to step inside it already that he didn’t notice a woman is on his way. The collision caused the woman to drop her things, but Sehun immediately pick her things up, then giving it to the woman, muttering an apology before looking up.

It wasn’t the woman’s face that he first saw, but instead, the face of a man few feet away from the woman.

At that moment, Sehun swears that his heartbeat stopped, time stopped, everything around him stopped. He couldn’t hear the noise of the students on the background. Everything became so silent in his world, except for the happy chirping of the birds outside. He also stopped from his track, taking note that the sun has finally risen and did a good job of emphasizing the man’s smooth hair before him and making the man’s eyes illuminate into a light shade of brown.

He heard him laugh, eyes crinkling into perfectly shape crescents, pouty soft lips forming into the most beautiful smile he’d seen in his life so far. His laugh, almost similar to the sound of Sunday morning bells. He also noticed the delicate fingers of the man, almost like those of a woman’s, and he wondered what would it feel like to intertwine his own to the man’s.

He became aware of his surroundings again when the woman in front of him muttered a thank you before proceeding in her own way, automatically making Sehun glance at his watch again. 3 more minutes. He quickly dashed inside his classroom but not without the small smile on his lips.

❣❣❣

All his lectures went smoothly, and the professors (at least from his impression) are all … friendly? He doesn’t know, but maybe he’ll know after a few months. Sehun almost bump into someone again, but luckily, he’s more cautious now.

He walked fast, almost half running, fingers holding the straps of his backpack dearly. He noticed that his fingers are itching to hold his sketchpad. He was just thankful that his attention during their lectures was really on what the professors are talking about, but right now, he just wanted to hold his dear pencil.

He figured that he’ll just draw inside the auditorium while listening to the guest speaker, although he doesn’t know how he’ll do it since they would probably turn the lights off. But who cares? He doesn’t want to forget the beautiful man he saw earlier, call it creepy, but it’s not exactly stalking. Or is it?

He arrived at the auditorium, thanking Chanyeol earlier for giving him the directions, although he could find the venue by himself. Sehun noticed that many students are already inside, some talking, some sleeping, some doing god knows what on their phones. He sat on the seat nearest to the aisle, then glanced on his watch, few more minutes before the event starts.

He pulled out his sketchpad and pencil and, began drawing. He held his pencil expertly but not getting meticulous on the and light shades of his drawing. He could already feel the graphite forming on his palm, but Sehun could care less. He needs to draw every single detail he remembered about the boy.

Sehun was too engrossed on what he’s doing that he didn’t even notice that their guest speaker is already on the stage, probably getting ready on his speech. He looked up on the stage and was surprised that he knew who their guest speaker is: Professor Yan Su.

Everyone knew about him, but not everyone knew what he looks like. Sehun knew the professor personally since the professior’s family is a family friend of theirs. They come to the Oh’s mansion once in a while.

He knows that he’s going to talk about symbols, and Sehun doesn’t exactly know why he signed up, but he’s pretty sure he is interested.

He looked down on his work, not yet complete, but the shape of the face is already there. Sehun smiled at himself, his drawing so far is going according to the ethereal picture inside his head, and with that, he inwardly congratulated himself.

He doesn’t know how he does it but, right now, he has in this serious multitasking mode, making sure to participate mentally during the speech, drawing while the lights are dim, and adding specific details on his drawing. He could feel the adrenaline on his fingertips and he couldn’t stop it. His heart would burst if he wouldn’t be able to complete his drawing properly. He felt butterflies inside his stomach, but instead of feeling anxious, he welcomed it. It didn’t feel like he was suffocated, but rather, he felt so giddy while his hands worked wonders. He’s releasing the concoction of too many emotions on every flick of his wrist against the innocent smooth white paper, and lines not perfect, and shades are uneven. He doesn’t care, though.

While Sehun is so busy with his masterpiece, a girl near him raised her hand and asked the professor a question. He wasn’t able to catch the girl’s question, but he will never forget what the professor answered to the girl.

“When men and women are attracted to each other, lust or desire of the body is inevitable. But you don’t specifically need to engage in ual behaviors in order to be one in mind and spirit. The unity of mind and spirit is more of a self-acknowledgement, to accept each other, to accept the world, to accept and acknowledge the similarities as well as differences in each other’s identity. It is not about persuading each other for acceptance, but rather finding acceptance in each other. Your own mind and existence is independent in itself and does not need to cater to other’s needs in order for you to be acknowledged. A true union is a similarity between two souls, no persuasion or alteration needed, because it’s natural attraction.”

At that, Sehun stopped on his tracks, mind gears inside his head whirling. He didn’t know why it affected him so much. Sehun is not a romanticist, and he believes that he will never be one. He grew up thinking that love was sparked by greed, just how his parents got married, just how everyone he knew in his environment got acquainted with one another. He befriended Chanyeol not because he found out about him, but because his parents told him so, and Chanyeol’s parents said so to their son too, though he reminded himself that the taller is indeed his bestfriend. When he was in highschool he confessed his innocent feelings for their classroom president, and he was more than happy when their president said “yes” and hugged him, but only for him to find out that she dated Sehun because it’s good for their business. The same thing happened to his brother.

His thoughts distracted him so much that he almost forgot the sketchpad in his hands. Almost, but not quite. He stared at it, an unconscious smile suddenly forming on the corner of his lips. His drawing isn’t perfect. It’s not even completed yet, but the man’s face is already drawn, it just lacked some details, but that’s fine. This isn’t a masterpiece, in fact it’s not even at par with his other drawings, but Sehun will never forget the emotions he experienced while working on this. He couldn’t come up with a plausible explanation just yet, but he knows that he will, soon.

He didn’t know how many minutes have passed, but all he knew is that the speech has come to an end and their dean is already praising and thanking the professor for his time. He closed his sketchpad and threw everything in his bag in one go. He sighed softly before proceeding at the exit door, not minding that other students are still on their seats. He doesn’t really want to be squished by other people after the speech so he left a bit earlier, no one would notice him anyway.

As he opened the door, he immediately saw Chanyeol and a smaller guy beside him.

They stared at each other for a while before the taller spoke to him. “Is the speech already done?” Sehun just nodded his head, a grin settling on his perfectly shaped lips. Chanyeol did the same too, while pulling Sehun into a hug.

“Damn. I missed you, man. I haven’t seen you since forever.” He punched Sehun on his shoulder lightly and Sehun feigned hurt, face playfully scrunched.

“Oh by the way, Hun. This is Baekhyun-hyung.”

The guy finally looked up at him, and Sehun felt his breath stopped.

A sudden silence in every where and he knew this is what also happened ealier: a déjà vu. A very good déjà vu. The man was even more beautiful up close, breathtaking… stunning. His smile, a very contagious one that it will surely affect everyone if it was a virus. His world stopped for a bit,

and at that moment… he knew he was in love. Not the love that is out of greed, but a love that came from natural attraction. The professor’s answer oddly made sense even though he doesn’t know a thing about the man in front of him. He felt the feeling that absolutely defied his twisted philosophy about love.

“Hi Sehun, I’m Baekhyun. It’s nice to meet you.”

Then Sehun swore, the sun has just risen.

 

 

 

A/N: Yan Su’s speech is directly from My Dear Archimedes. I was reading it and damn, I was so touched by that speech, like I’ve read it a hundred times that I was able to memorize it at heart :3 Then while reading his very short speech, I just thought of this short fic.

I became so busy because… college. I just didn’t have the time to write anymore and whenever I try, the words aren’t coming out right, so I tried to read some of my fics and I was like: “I did this?” HAHAHA. Btw, this ship is just killing me, I don’t even know why I have this funny feeling whenever I see Sehun and Baekhyun, and it’s weird because it’s only recently that I notice the chemistry between the two… They just in’ look so good together! DON’T FIGHT ME ON THIS :D

I’ll try to make lengthy fics again, yeah? Also, BLACKPINK is <3 I was listening to ‘As if it’s you last’ while making this. But just because I’m interested in other groups, doesn’t mean I’ll neglect our kings… ABSOLUTELY NOT. I’m so hyped on their ‘soon’ comeback… let’s support them, shall we? Let’s give our kings their 5th daesang. Fighting! Lastly, sorry for my poor writing ^.^v

Anyway, this is for: redsebaeks ... My ship is indeed sailing, dear. I saw your comment on one of my fics and it just sort of motivated me to write something again haha. Hope you like this.

 

 

 

 

 

SeBaek is <3 and I imagine sehun like this