Chapter 5 (Taeyong)

The Outsiders

Her wide eyes stared back into mine, "What do you mean?" she gazed at me skeptically, finally giving up on trying to get me to let go of her. She waited for me to answer, but all I could really do was look at her eyes. I haven't seen them from this close... chocolate oceans that seemed to resemble that of a cat's, long lashes and the slightest hint of makeup. I continued to stare, almost swearing that I could see stars in them. I wish I could just get lost in the deep chocolate pools she called, 'eyes', "Taeyong!" her voice dragged me out of my thoughts but my stare didn't waver, "what did you mean by that?" I shut my eyes for a second, opening them to slowly raising my gaze up from her feet to her face.

"I meant what I said, Jen," I glanced at her friends who looked surprised and just about ready to fight, "I pay attention and I notice everything. Like, how that necklace is important to you," she brought her hand up to the pendant that hung loosely around her neck, staring down at it from the palm of her tiny hands, "you wear it everyday, play with it unconsciously and tend to kiss it if you feel like you need the good luck." She furrowed her eyebrows, causing tiny lines to appear on her forehead. Her free hand dropped to her side as she kept her eyes on me.

"Are you stalking me?" her friends burst out into a fit of laughter yet she paid no mind to it. I chuckled at her reaction as well; for a girl who always seemed so cold, she was very cute.

I leaned closer to her face, a small smirk finding its way to my lips, "you ever realize how many classes we have together? How many times on a daily bases we pass by each other? Jen, just because you don't pay attention to the world doesn't mean the world doesn't pay attention to you." I could see her eye twitch a bit at my statement. One of my observations of our dear Jennie Kim was that she enjoys either solitude or the company of her very close friends and family; that was it. Never tried to socialize or anything. It seemed like she built her own little world and blocked out ours.  She trailed her gaze along my face, down my arm and finally to my hand that gripped hers. With a huff, she yanked her arm free, the other hand pushing me slightly to add some space between us.

"I'd rather have not known that they do," she signaled her friends to start cleaning up so they could go soon. She stepped closer to me, arms crossed, "I know you think that you like me, but trust me, you don't... you don't want to like a person like me." she scowled at me as I stared down at her. Hah, shorty.

"I don't think, I know," I lowered my face to meet her height, "despite all the gossip and rumors, I still wanted to get close to you; hear your side. There's always more to a person and I want to know your person fully."

She scoffed, "you're weird, you know that?" I could tell she was running out of witty remarks to answer back.

"I don't know, wanna talk about it over coffee?" I stood straight as one of her perfectly groomed brows shot up while her lips curled into a smirk.

"Are you asking me out on a date?" she asked, her voice slightly teasing (but why'd I find it y?). I nodded my head frantically, words struggling to form from my mouth. She hasn't acted like this in front of me, but it's not like I'm complaining. She stepped just a bit closer and stood on her tippy toes, barely getting up to the bottom of my nose gosh she's so cute, "In your dreams." she whispered. Even though I received an outright rejection, I've actually never been happier. Jennie was close enough for me to smell the slight, sweet scent of her perfume mingled with her natural scent that seemed so comforting; I resisted the urge to just hug her. I might not let go if I did. With a click of her tongue, she her heel and stormed off, followed by her three friends who didn't even spare me a glance.

Running a hand through my hair, I kept my eyes on her retreating back. How many years have I been liking this girl? Heck, when did I even start to become interested? I sat down on the grass, leaning back onto the tree. I looked up to the leaves, dancing to the slight breeze. The sun was hidden behind the green curtain yet it still found a way to kiss my skin. Come to think about it, this tree was where it started. Where I first laid my eyes on her. It was maybe a year-- or almost two years ago when I first moved here. Driving around, the neighborhoods seemed bland: all of the houses were either painted shades of cream, white or gray. That day was gloomy and the lawns of nearly each house screamed, 'dead' or 'water me'.

Our SUV stopped and I stepped out of the vehicle, my hand wrapped tightly around the strap of my backpack. Maybe this time it won't be SO bad. I shook my head to try and get any negative thoughts out. I stared up at the new house (also very bland), noting the differences between here and Japan. Before we came here, we lived on a base somewhere in Japan (Osaka I think) for a few years. We were constantly moving due to my father who was in the military. Moving always meant a new life for me; kinda like a fresh start, if that's what you wanna call it. I tapped my fingers on the strap of my backpack, deciding whether I should take a walk around the new neighborhood or help out. I glanced at the five, big  men carrying boxes into our new home, weighing my choices. I shrugged, arguing that the workers are working to be paid anyway AND my parents would call me if they needed me for anything anyway.

After our arrival, my mom had informed me that my new high school  would just be walking distance from our house. We had passed by it on the way here, so I knew my way to it. I hummed a random tune I made up, placing both hands in my jean pockets. I took my time, trying to admire whatever scenery I could try to find beauty in. The gray skies didn't really help try and make anything seem less dull. I walked a path with a short, brick wall beside me. The wall led to a gate with the name, in huge white letters, Sooran High. My eyes scanned the letters lazily before I walked on to the campus. The building was big, but it wasn't anything special. School hours have already passed so I walked around the building to find a huge field, still busy with athletes practicing. Right beside it was a big, oak tree that stood mightily, watching the athletes below it. At the foot of the tree sat a girl, peacefully reading her book. Long, black hair covered her face as it swept down due to gravity.

Peaking my interest, I started a stride towards the tree, maybe to start up a conversation with the girl sitting underneath it. My footsteps slowed to a halt in front of the girl as I squatted down to look at her face. I realize now that she had fallen asleep whilst reading and her head was dangling off of her neck. Knowing the pain that comes with sleeping in that position, I tried my best to push her head up to lean on the trunk without waking her up. With a full view of her face, I couldn't help but to admire her breath taking features. Someone like her lives in a dull place like this, huh? ping my bag, I took out a jacket and placed it on the sleeping girl. She snuggled closer to material and my heart actually melted. Hmm... so it isn't so bad after all.