Chapter 1

Breathless

 

The year of 2026. The year where all country declare that this year is where all future will arise. Indeed, the year of 2026 is where the year where all technology is now booming in every market worldwide. Invention is now dominate the population of open working through every cities. The wanting of Man power to work for their company is so hot that competition will always set fire among employees. 

Business and a growing building for an evolve country to fit the future. Even though the future did arrive, but some citizen still embrace their old ways. The modern classic years. Flying cars, flying busses, hologram billboards is now every where. The evolve year where country will compete with other country to shows who's better among high tech in which who could design a massive creation will be adore and will be well respected. 

So does the employees  hierarchy. There are 4 stages. First would be the boss. Second is the highest position. The third would be the medium position and the forth is the worker.

The worker will have to work their off to reach the highest point where they could manage to reach. Also, need to remember. There's a lot of people you would have to compete with. This is not a place where all " peace with you and me because we're work at the same place and position ". NO!. 

This is the place where you could show how high spirit you are to be at where you wanted to be. Money is the goal and position is the goal. 

Whoever manage to reach the second stage, the paid is high than the forth stage. Basically, every workers will have to start from scratch. Presents them self to empress and to be promoted. 

But for the 6 years of working person named Mark Tuan, never in his life he could archive what his other colleagues had archieve. He work and pour his energy towards something for the highest rank to judge but never a single look would turn their face to him. 

Mark Tuan position as a scientist is the main role in every technology company. Because scientist is where resources could be discover. Matchmaking, discovering, revolving is what scientist do. They had to study a pacific resources to make a brand new items for daily needs. 

Seems the competion is so hot that Mark could easily lose his chances. Every resources he could discover, other scientist would discover it too. Mark once felt he had lost all hope in him. 6 years is not a short time. He started to chasing, he researching, he try to think a new way to make something new but everytime, 99% his ideas would be somehow been stolen or been step over by the others greatest invention. 

now, he is stuck on the forth stage. Forever he will felt that he will be stuck on the forth stage where monthly gross would be not much than 500 dollars. It's enough, but not enough for his spending on his daily needs plus with his renting. 

The owner where he rents was kind enough to reduce the price from 1 thousand plus down to below 5 hundreds. Since his permanent home was been bulldoze a few weeks ago. But Mark will always tried his very best. " Fighting" is his moto everyday when the sun arises. 

 

-*-

 

" Oii! Wake up Markie-pooh!!! " 

Mark eyebrows knitted together hearing Jackson voices calling him that named. As much as he hated that name, he already heard to it for 6 years. With a closing eyes his face showed a clearly frustrating facial emotion. His head is resting on the glass window. Mark is so tired every single days. Since his new invention is on the go. He hoped this new invention he made would change everything. 

But right now he would have to wait for the bus to arrive at their destination and also need to deal with the person who's sitting beside him. Mark had to sigh and shook his head and keep on covering his body with the jacket he used and closed his eyes tightly as he could master and push any distraction around him. Including the person's who's sitting beside him. 

Jackson is a definition of a human sun!!  You could see the bright side clouded around his body. Just a few words coming out from that pretty mouth of his could easily turn a gloomy person to cheery and bloom.. 

But for Mark, he would rather to have his sleeps that talking to him.. 

" Hey Mark!!  Aren't you excited??? "

" Presentation today's is gonna be lit.... "

" Hey Mark!!! "

" Mark? "

" Mark Tuan.... "

And there's how the first morning begins.. 

 

" Welcome to Los Soulangeles..  Where future is made. Latest technology that helps every human daily needs.  Not only just for humans but for non-humans as well.  The nature. Hexagon machinery builds any specific helpers with an echo friendly machinery that could save the earth..  "

 

Mark had to rolled his eyes when he heard the AI (artificial intelligent)  voice coming from the bus intercom so does the hologram of the advertised of the hexagon company. He believe that 100% of that AI words is not true. Since he work there, there is far more darker secret in hexagon machinery. Despised of the great invention. The company is on an undergo for something far more than " helping ".

Mark and Jackson felt the bus becoming slowly in speed. Mark turn his head to his left and look outside the window. He saw the bus is stop on the familiar places. A few seconds when the bus stops, the bus slowly floating down and soon the foot touches reach the ground, a soft shaken been produce inside the vehicle upon touching the grounds. 

Mark and Jackson queue up with the other passenger to go out from the bus. Once their feet safely on the grounds, they took a few minutes to walk towards their working places. 

 

-*-

 

In front of them, where they are standing. The huge, tall building with the logo of a hexagon on the middle of the building. Mark and Jackson walk pass through other pair of body that coming out from the building. They had to rush their feet to go inside because the place is too hectic. People are everywhere rushing towards their working place. Through the crowded hall they manage to fit and on time to get close to the elevator. Both of them had to squeeze in with other people not going up but down under. There are already standing on the ground floor but there is another floor that buried deep under the earth. 5000 feet below ground. The elevator will stop on a 10 floor going down and there's a station for train. In there, the workers will have to onboard the train and the rail will lead them to some place secret the company hidden from the surface to discover. 

Hexagon is a large company. Tall building, amazing invention. Giving evolution to the people like what the AI said it's echo friendly. There is something more then just echo friendly. Something far more dangerously.

Mark and Jackson didn't know what they up against. The job is an open job. When the recruitment began, there is no contract only life devotion towards the company. You can't resign, you can't transfer and you can't spoke any words about issues connected with the company. Every one who works there will always been monitored 24/7. Not just inside but the outside. Their agent will always have their eyes on the worker like a hawk. 

Once they reach the another place where the workers had to work at, the place that been built under the ground for and illegal invention and researching, Weapon. Hexagon didn't just event stuff for any daily needs. The company itself undergo a forbidden weaponry without any permission from the government. It's not just any weapon. It's far more worst. The worker didn't know what is the purpose but all they know is to work and not ask any further question.

Mark slip in his white robe and correct the tie around his neck. He look at himself on the mirror hanging inside his open locker. Once he satisfied with his attire, he closed his locker door and when outside. From the outside he had to walk for another seconds, to go to his station where his invention been kept. Inside his lab he spotted Jackson already there waiting for him to began. Mark didn't waste another time as he tossed open the white sheets that been cover the undone machine he design. 

" what we had to do next? " 

Jackson ask Mark about their next duty. Mark respond back and said 

" the bullet is not done yet. I'll go get the blueprint for you " 

Mark spun in his feet and walk a few table to where he kept his blueprint. Once he found it he pull it and gave it to Jackson. Jackson immediately began the building and Mark turn to his position toward the Microscope where he needs to do something else. 

Mark and Jackson are a team. Graduate from medical and engineer. They stick to each other from university years. Until now they are always by their own side to complete any possible challenges together. 

A few hours gone by, Jackson manage to complete the bullet. It's just a small like calibre bullet but more dangerous than the normal gun. 

" I think i'm done right now.. " 

Said Jackson noticing Mark about his work is already complete. Mark heard what Jackson said and push himself away from the microscope and stood on his feet and walk towards Jackson. He approach where Jackson was standing and look at the design machine he ask the latter to build just now is finally done.Mark sigh out a satisfied breathe and nodded his head. Mark grasp the tiny bullet that been put on the table and  gently lower the small bullet in between his finger and set it on the center of his palm. Mark squinted his eyes closedly to look what inside that small bullet contain. Mark saw a blue water insde that small bullets. Mark pulled away from his gaze with the item and turn his head towards Jackson. Mark push his hand that holds the small thing towards Jackson to hold. Jackson gladly took it from Mark and set it back on the table.

As for today, presentation will always been organize by the buyers, high-ranked scientist and the ceo itself twice a years for all the workers to show what had they done in that cyle of one years for the high-ranked to judge their work.If they like it, the buyers will bought it and you will be promoted. If they don't like it then your position to be promoted will be delayed for another chance. Mark and Jackson had waiting for their time to been called and when the other scientist went out from one room that for demostration, they push the cart that been weight by the machine inside the room. Once they were inside the huge room that been build special for any demonstration as deadly as a bomb. Mark and Jackson stood on the center of the room and Mark turned his body to face the back position. He loft his head up and look at the only glassed been build on the wall. Behind that glass was where Tue Judges would see and judge their workers work. 

" I made this gun! "

Mark pointed as his eyes stare the tinted glass as Jackson flip the white sheet of the Machine. Mark continued his presentation 

" Shotgun, M16 and this 44magnum. It does look like a normal gun but the inside of this gun contain this. "

Mark raise his other hand pointing at the bullet he design for the judges to see. 

" The bullet for each weapon that contain titanium inside of it. Jackson here will be the one who demonstrate it for you to see. "

Mark turn to Jackson and signals the younger to start the demonstration to began. Jackson picked up the shotgun and aim at the only victim that been provided. A dummy is where is Jackson victim for now. When the trigger is finally been release a loud bang echo  inside the huge room and before anyone expect something to happen, the dummy exploded in just one bullet. It doesn't give damages, it give an instant wipe of the face of the earth. When it ends Mark took his time to explains. 

" A titanium that I manage to transform from a powder into a liquid. When the bullet that contain that liquid titanium hit at any of it's victim. Anything that produce liquid that touch the bullet will ignites the flammable metal in the world. Which means, explosion! For what Jackson demonstrate to you just now is what will happen towards the victims of this extreme rare firepower.Even bullet proof vest can't even stop this impact! "

 

_*_

 

 

After their presentation they had a minuted ago, both Jackson and Mark went back to their lab where they had to wait for the result of the decision for the judges to made. Mark stick back his eyes with the Microscope while Jackson sit back at his chair eating chips. Mark makes a research about a shield that could camouflage like a tree frog or a chameleon. He had this idea when he first discover that the Military had a partnership with the company. So Mark had an idea of giving something that allowes the troops to camouflage themselves from the enemy. But,  no matter how much he tried. There is something missing. The special ingredients for the suit to complete. Mark doesn't want the suit to be controlled by technology. For example a transparent suit that could projectile the surrounding area.  It means that you could camouflage with the surrounding area by the projectile itself. Mark wants it to be as natural at it can be. Like how chameleon done it as what it wanted to be.  But, there is something missing that Mark couldn't know what is it. 

The decision period came to an end when the assistant of the judges inform all the participant the result through the connected computer which is the standing computer. Like an iPad, but this one were design to be build in. Can be big as what the person desire and it's transparent.  

Mark didn't have to lift his head up when he knows what the result will be. But, Jackson stood up and walk towards the computer and touch the screen to look at the detail. Jacksons hand was flying everywhere sliding through the file to see their result but their presentation were been rejected. The chosen person was the one who design a bomb that not produce explosion but produce a supersonic blast mix with an electron magnetic field. 

" WHAT!!! OUR GUN IS FAR MORE COOLER THAN THEIRS..." 

Jackson voice booming the silent room almost making Mark jump in shock. 

" Just shake it off Jackson. It's the usual. Not the end of the world. "

" But, this is our 12th attempt!! You can't be serious. "

Jackson still can't shaken off the feels he got about the result. He felt mad and frustrated at the same time. For the first time him and Mark made something cooler yet dangerous. Unlike what they did years back was a toaster. But not the normal toaster. The design was to burn the bread using a waffle maker. Immediately been rejected to get out from the testing room. Jackson still getting mad over that idea that he doesn't know who's idea that came from. Not Mark but the person name Jackson Wang. 

" You know what, I'm going out from this room and confront the judges about how cool our Machine is. I'm going out now.. "

Mark only heard what Jackson said but didn't divert his eyes away from his research. He sense that Jackson stomping out from the room. Just a few minutes his presence gone, suddenly Jackson return back walking quickly inside their lab and sit on his chair while writing something on his table. 

" Wow that was quick! How did it goes? "

" I don't want to talk about it... " 

Mark only raise both his eyebrows and breathe out " okay.. " as his understanding. 

4 hours gone by, Mark and Jackson were busy designing and making the suit that Mark researching about when one of their use to be colleagues came by their lab. 

" wow! It's chaotic around here.. "

Im Jaebum voices out his opinion when he look at the busy room. Jackson who's the one first to loft his head to look at the person bit when his eyes landed on Jaebum he turn away quickly with his pouting lips. Mark soon notice and walk toward Jaebum. 

" Congratulation on your promoting. " Mark patted Jaebum on the back and continued saying " now, should I call you Mr. Im? Since you are going to be our Upper class so what is it going to be? " Mark smile at Jaebum. 

" NO no please don't call me Mr.  Just Jaebum is enough. Weather I've been ranked upper that you guys or not I'm still Jaebum with you guys. " said Jaebum being kind and honest to them both. But some people just can't get over with it and still hold grudge against Jaebum. 

Jackson heard what the older said. He side glance Jaebum and turn away as quick like the lighting. Jackson doesn't takes that honesty very good. He believes soon or later Jaebum will started to brag like what others had done. Jaebum notice the heating sensation coming from one particular person. He run his head towards the busy person and said. 

" Jackson, are you mad? "

" No I'm fine. Why would I be mad for? " 

Jackson said like there's nothing going own between the situation. Then Jaebum began to say " I saw you stomping down the hallways 4 hours ago towards the green room. But when the judges came out with the military Jeneral you turn 360 degree and went back where you came from. I know what is going own. So I'm going to tell you this straight from my mouth. Even though that I've been ranked upper that you guys, I'm still Jaebum to you. Because were friend no matter what! "

Jackson kg nodded his head while his eyes is rolling around it's socket. 

" wait! "

Mark broke the tension

" Jackson turn around when he saw the Judges? " said Mark disbelief " Yeah,  he didn't even said a thing to them but just turning around.. " Jaebum respond back to Mark question. 

" So thats why you doesn't want to talk about it aren't you. Because you scared? "Mark teased the younger. 

Jackson felt embarrass but he quickly push everything away and hold his defence " Shut Up Mark Tuan..." 

Both Mark and Jaebum burst out laughing leaving the embarrassing latter went to the corner of shame. " You know what! I'm going to get myself a coffee.. " said Jackson and walk away from the two. Both Jaebum and Mark can't stop them self from grinning ear to ear when Mark the one who first to change the subject 

" Hey, can you tell Mr Gomez about something! "

" Mr Gomez, the high ranked scientist? Yeah sure what is it. "

Jaebum reply ready to lend a hand to a friend of his. Mark turn around and walk towards the table where he made his researching earlier and snatch a paper on the gable and gave it to Jaebum. " I need him to see this and approve this so that I could have a few resources to build it. " said Mark showing the design suit towards Jaebum. Jaebum look at the designing and nodded his head and said " Okay.. I'll tell him when I get back. "

 

-*-

 

The working time soon come to an end. Both Jackson and Mark tidying their work space and ready to get home. Both of them had to stop by the locker room to drop their uniform back at their locker. Jackson was there sitting beside of Mark pulling out the boots and replacing them with the sneaker he used to come to work. Mark was going to do the same with the white robe he used when Jaebum return and talk with Mark and Jackson. 

" Mark I'm sorry but Mr Gomez rejected your request. "

Hearing that word coming from Jaebum mouth was like a slap in the face. Mark blinked his eyes multiple times trying to digest the words out from his system. But Jackson the one who respond back 

" what! That's the first. How come? "

" That's what I thought. When I tried to talked to him, he was like trying to avoiding any conversation. He was too deeply in discussion with the Military Jeneral about a crashing sight that I don't understand about! But when I could manage to get his attention about your request, he immediately said it's impossible.  Mark look at it,  your asking a request for something that impossible to make. If it's a projectile suit that could be arrange but this is something beyond a high tech could reach. This is something natural. You asking about a transformation with in the human skin. It is like you are  trying to blending the chameleon cell with the human. This he what he said to me " Jaebum explained to Mark.  

But Mark knew what he is doing. He is not that cruel to nature though. He doesn't even plan on making a human hybrid or something. He wants to lake the suit as special as high tech can't even reach. He know it's impossible. He need the acceptance from the high ranked scientist for him to began his expedition to find a new resource but suddenly been rejected.