Chapter 7 (Enlightenment)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seoul, September 14th

Nayoung opened the door only to found Heehyun standing outside her door, with one hand holding a paper bag filled with foods and the other hand holding her purse, wearing casual clothes and jeans and sneakers. Nayoung frowned at the unexpected appearance.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

Heehyun scoffed.

“What, I can’t come here without telling you first? I’m bored at my apartment and the others are busy.”

“So?” Nayoung asked with flat voice.

“So? Duh, I know Doyeon isn’t in Seoul right now so I’m volunteered to entertain your boring weekend and-”

“For your information, I’m not having a boring weekend right now, you are the one who just said you are bored,” Nayoung rolled eyes. Heehyun narrowed her eyes, asking for explanation at her best friend. “Sejeong is sick and-”

“So you gonna go to her place?”

“No, I-”

“Heehyun Unnie?”

Both Nayoung and Heehyun turned around to see Chaeyeon standing not too far from them.

“Chaeyeon? What are you doing here?” Heehyun asked.

“Sejeong Unnie called me and asked me to bring her clothes here,” said Chaeyeon as she lifted the bag she carried.

“Ooooo~” Heehyun grinned widely at Nayoung, completely understand the situation. But Nayoung ignored her best friend.

“Thank you, Chaeyeon-ah,” Nayoung opened her door wider. “Come in, Sejeong is in inside,” she said as she opened her door to let Chaeyeon in.

Heehyun frowned. “Yah, aren’t you going to let me in too?”

“Please, you will let yourself in even if I said no to you.” For the second time, Nayoung rolled her eyes at Heehyun who just scoffed and went inside Nayoung’s apartment, leaving Chaeyeon watching them in amuse.

Heehyun’s steps stopped when she saw Sejeong sleeping in the couch in the living room. She turned to look at Nayoung.

“She’s sick. Don’t you dare thinking anything dirty,” said Nayoung who went to the pantry.

Heehyun chuckled. Then she looked at Chaeyeon who’s standing awkwardly not too far from the couch.

“You can sit anywhere you want. Just make yourself at home, okay?” she said to Chaeyeon before following Nayoung to the pantry.

Chaeyeon nodded and sat beside Sejeong. It amazed herhow Heehyun seems so comfortable around at Nayoung’s apartment, showing how close these two.

“‘Make yourself at home’? For your information, this is my home, not yours.” Chaeyeon can hear Nayoung said in the pantry.

“I’m just being nice to your guest, what’s wrong with that?” and that Heehyun’s voice. Chaeyeon smiled again at the cute bickers.

“Because sometimes you forgot this is my home and not yours.”

“Dude, we are best friends since God knows when. Your home is my home too.”

“No it is not. I just reminded you that this is not your home.”

Chaeyeon can’t hold her giggle this time. They keep fighting over little things that do not fit with their age and for Chaeyeon, it looks adorable.

Later Nayoung brought a glass of orange juice for Chaeyeon.

“Are you busy today?” She asked as she handed the glass to Chaeyeon. “Heehyun is lonely and might be needs some company today. Can you-”

“Yah! Kim Nayoung, watch your mouth!” With a yell from Heehyun, a spoon flying across the room and hit right to Nayoung’s head, making her hissed in pain and Chaeyeon in surprised. Holding the spot where the spoon just hit her head, Nayoung gritted her teeth to not yelling any inappropriate words to her so-called best friend.

Heehyun came out from the pantry later with a plate of cake and put it on the table. She looked confusedly at Nayoung who still rubbing her head. Besides Nayoung, Chaeyeon seemed doing her best not to laugh.

“Wae?”

Nayoung glared at her so Chaeyeon took the initiative to answer the innocent question. “Your spoon hit her, Unnie.”

Heehyun gasped.

“Ow, sorry, Nayoung-ah… I didn’t expect it to hit you for real,” she said (half) guiltily (but Chaeyeon saw her grin) and hurriedly approached Nayoung.

“Is it hurt?” Heehyun asked. Nayoung pouted, making Heehyun just chuckled as she rubbed Nayoung’s head gently. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hit you.”

Chaeyeon looked at them confusedly. The two just bickering till no end and now Heehyun rubbing Nayoung’s head, eyes all concerned at the spot she just hit with Nayoung pouted like a child. It was cute and she can’t hold her smile but she needs time to adjust the sudden changes.

“If Sejeong wasn’t sleeping right now, I swear I’d hit you back.” Nayoung snorted, but Chaeyeon can see she actually enjoyed Heehyun’s touches.

“You acted as if you care about her,” the gentle Heehyun just changed to the usual Heehyun. “How can you let her sleep on the couch when she’s sick like this huh?”

“Lower your voice, Stupid!” Nayoung hissed. “And she just fell asleep after we watched movie, okay? She doesn’t want to sleep on the bedroom and only asked me to wake her up when dinner time.”

Chaeyeon decided to interrupt the two before they continue arguing. “Nayoung Unnie, what happened to Sejeong Unnie actually? Is she having fever?”

Nayoung nodded.

“Yeah, her fever was pretty bad last night and she got headache too,” she sighed. “She was getting better this morning but her fever just came back in the evening so I told her to rest and spend another night here. I can’t just let her alone at her apartment like this.”

Chaeyeon nodded. “I see. Sejeong Unnie tends to get sick easily whenever she’s too tired.”

Chaeyeon put her palm on her best friend’s forehead to check her condition. It’s slightly warm so she assumed Sejeong’s condition is not really bad. She turned to see Nayoung who looking at Sejeong worriedly. It brought smile to her face to see the nice progress of their relationship.

“Do you live near her apartment?” Nayoung asked curiously.

“Yes, we live in the same apartment actually,” Chaeyeon nodded as she back to sit. “I live on the 12th floor meanwhile Sejeong unnie on the 8th floor.”

“Ng... Chaeyeon-ah?” Sejeong stirred in her sleep and slowly opened her eyes.

“Hey, Unnie, you okay?” Chaeyeon asked as she and Nayoung helped Sejeong to sit. “I brought your clothes.”

“Thank you, sorry for troubling you,” Sejeong said as she leaned on Chaeyeon’s shoulder.

“It’s fine, are you feeling better?” Chaeyeon started massaging the side of Sejeong’s head. “I told you not to work too much.”

Sejeong just nodded and closed her eyes again, enjoying the gentle massage from Chaeyeon.

Heehyun watched them with interest, especially at how Chaeyeon looks so worried about Sejeong and treat her gently. The young lawyer looks so mature when she’s the younger one between the two. It’s a new thing for Heehyun to see Chaeyeon like this, because Chaeyeon rarely speak, even on their meeting, unless it’s necessary. From the first time they met on Heehyun’s studio, Chaeyeon always looks serious and focus on the case only. The sweet and caring Chaeyeon to Sejeong she is looking right now is the side of the younger girl she never saw before and it makes her curious about this girl.

“You guys are cute,” Heehyun said.

“Huh?” Both Sejeong and Chaeyeon looked at her confusedly.

“I said, you guys are so cute,” she repeated. “Cute and sweet. Were you two used to be a couple? Chaeyeon seems taking care of Sejeong better than Nayoung,” she said, resulting a hit in her arms from the girl beside her.

Chaeyeon giggled.

“We are, or were, not a couple, Unnie. I can assure you that.” Chaeyeon looked at Nayoung and Heehyun alternately. “At first I thought you two were lovers remembering how Nayoung Unnie was always on Heehyun Unnie side when you had a heatstroke in Okinawa. But today, I think what the media said about you guys is true. Kim Nayoung and Ki Heehyun are Tom & Jerry in real life.”

Heehyun snorted. “I hope you did not forget that Nayoung chooses surfing rather than accompany me when my heat get worse.” Heehyun looked upset at Nayoung before turning her gaze to Sejeong. “That morning, when you came to our room to check my condition before you went to the conference, you did not see her, right?”

Sejeong nodded.

“She chose to surf while I was sick and she came back with sprained hand. You did a good job, Kim Nayoung.”

Nayoung scoffed at Heehyun's words. “We went to Okinawa for holiday. Why would I spend all my time watching you sleep, huh?”

Sejeong quickly interrupted before Heehyun could reply. “But Nayoung Unnie took a great care of me. She hugged me all night,” Sejeong smiled at her memories of very good sleep last night.

Heehyun let out an “ew” voice.

“Yah! What’s with your reaction?!” Nayoung hit her arm again. “See? I’m a good girlfriend here!”

Heehyun did not reply to Nayoung’s words because yeah, what Nayoung said was true. Nayoung was (is) always serious in relationships and Heehyun really knows what Nayoung is like. When she acknowledge Nayoung’s engagement, the first thing she wants to make sure is who Nayoung’s fiancée is. She did not want Nayoung to get hurt. Seeing what kind of relationship Nayoung and Sejeong right now made her relieved.

Nayoung was a great lover. Was. Before something happened and turn her into one night stander. Her engagement with Sejeong really restored the old Nayoung and Heehyun smiled when she aware that Sejeong managed to return her old friend.

“Hey,” Heehyun turned to feel a tap on her shoulder.

“Hmm?” Heehyun raised an eyebrow.

“You..” Nayoung stared concernly at Heehyun and sighed. “Are you okay?”

“I’m hungry,” Heehyun replied flatly. “As a good host you have to feed me.”

Nayoung frowned. She knows Heehyun is hiding something but chooses not to extend it. Not in the presence of Chaeyeon and Sejeong.

“Okay, help me cook, Ki.” Nayoung stood up and walked to the pantry.

“Hey! Do not call me Ki, you Kim!!” Heehyun followed Nayoung to the pantry.

“Whatever,” Nayoung rolled her eyes. The thing she has been doing a lot with Heehyun. “Get your up here and help me with the vegetables.” She orders on Heehyun while checking the food supply in the refrigerator.

Not far from her, Heehyun continued to grumble, but stayed in the pantry to help Nayoung. She started taking a knife and-

“Yah! Wash the vegetables before you cut them off!” Nayoung hissed at the sight of Heehyun preparing to cut the vegetables she had just removed from the fridge.

“Hiiissssshhh... Why do I have to help you?!”

“Because Sejeong is sick and how could I ask Chaeyeon to help, she’s a guest and you said that my home is your home so Chaeyeon is your guest too and you should treat her well, you dimwit?”

“Who are you calling dimwit??” Heehyun looks annoyed for real.

“Unnies, I can help you, what can I do for you?” Chaeyeon entered the pantry with an anxious look at the knife in Heehyun’s and Nayoung’s hands.

“No, you are the guest, Chaeyeon-ah,” Nayoung said, still glaring at Heehyun. “You can just talk comfortably with Sejeong in the living room while Heehyun helped me here, don’t worry.”

“Watch your mouth, Kim. I’m holding knife here.” Heehyun stirred a knife in her hand and makes Chaeyeon look frightened at her.

“So am I, and we are in my home

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter