Chapter 11 (Querencia)

Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul, October 25th

Mimi was working in her office, her eyes focused on the laptop screen in front of her as she checked every folder while some sketches littered on her desk when her phone rang beside her. She picked up the device and heard familiar voice greets her ears.

“Hey, Baby Sis, what’s up?”

Mimi smiled, but her eyes still lingered at the file she was reading. “I’m okay, Oppa, busy as usual but I’m okay. Did Bora call you? You are the first person she calls if anything happened to me.”

“No, I’m just checking on you. You should at least call me once a week, you know, don’t you miss me?” Mimi heard the whining tone on her brother’s voice and she rolled eyes.

“Yeah, yeah, I miss you, Oppa? Happy?” Mimi replied with unenthusiastic tone.

“Yah! Can’t you at least sound excited and sincere?!”

Mimi laughed at the protest across the phone. “Oppa, jinjja... You’re so noisy and full of demands.”

“I really miss you, Jung Mimi. You’re the only one I have right now.”

The sentimental tone from her brother made Mimi sighed. Her gaze shifted from her laptop to one of the frames on her desk. She felt the familiar sting in her heart as a single tear rolling down her left cheek. She quickly wiped it off and focusing back to her brother on the phone.

“I’m sorry, Oppa… I miss you too but we are too busy here that I can’t contact you often. I hope you understand,” she said as her fingers playing the pen she’s holding. Her old habit since she was a little kid.

“Yeah, I know, and now I’m calling you to make you busier.”

Mimi hissed at the statement, “Don’t tell me I have to go another banquet event, please?”

“Exactly! Our Mimi is really smart!”

She groaned out loud and makes her brother laughed over the phone. She can imagine the annoying grin on her brother’s face right now.

“Why do you always make me go to that boring event? It’s your job, Oppa. Why do I have to meet some old people and smiling and discussing those endless business things all the time while you’re away in London, having fun and all?” Mimi began to protest.

“Yah! You think I’m in London just to have fun, huh?”

“You are free to roaming around to Stamford Bridge and enjoy your favorite club match.”

“I told you so many times, my favorite club is based in Old Trafford, Mimi-ya, and it’s not in London! It’s in Manchester!”

Mimi rolled eyes at the unimportant information. “Whatever, I’m still pissed you can enjoy your life and your favorite club match anytime you want while I’m stuck here with work,” she replied stubbornly, remembering the photos her brother sent when he was travelling around Europe and watching his favorite soccer team match.

“I know you are having fun too in Seoul. Honestly I don’t mind if you want to exchange our position but I’m sure you don’t want to be separated with Bora.”

Mimi rolled her eyes again as the image of her brother grinning came to her mind, but didn’t deny the truth on her brother’s words.

Since her accident four years ago, Mimi and Hana are almost inseparable. Even with their busy works, traveling abroad and all, they never separated for more than two weeks. One of them would visit the others if they have to be away from each other for a bit too long.

After long and hard eight years they had to be separated to pursue their dreams, along with too many things that happened to them, now they really appreciated and enjoyed the time they have to be with each other to the most. No more taking any risk that could endanger their lives and ruin the peaceful routines they’ve been in for the last four years.

“So, what should I do in the event?” she asked seriously, her hand moved to rub her chin. She doesn’t like the banquet dinner thing and the other boring meeting, but those events are the opportunities to establish many new colleagues that could help her to get the project from the Government and other big companies. Other than that, it is undeniable that Mimi always gets the latest information on issues that are happening among businessmen every time she came to the banquet. It certainly became one of the reasons that Mimi never missed the event.

“It’s just a regular banquet. Your presence is merely a formality. Well, I don’t know if there might be something else you want to do there.”

Mimi frowned at the last sentences, but soon she realized her brother was trying to make her talk about something she has been keeping. Her ‘personal mission’ that has nothing do with her works as the CEO of The Arrows.

“There’s nothing interesting in any banquet they hold, Oppa. If I could, I would go home as soon as I finished greeting all the guests,” Mimi responded casually, back to her uninterested tone.

“Really? If that so, why did you ask Hongbin to go back to Seoul?”

Mimi’s smile fade instantly. Her fist clenched in anxiety, trying to figure out what made her brother ask about Hongbin’s moving back to Seoul. Her mind went into quick conclusion, that although they live separately, her brother probably still keep an eye on her and it began to upset Mimi.

“Who are you paying to spy on me?” Mimi asked to the point.

“I don’t need a spy to recognize my own sister’s behavior.” She heard a long sigh from the phone, along with worried tone from her brother’s voice, and she knows her brother didn’t lie.

Not much different from her and their past oldest sister, the second born of Jung family is also known as one of the cold but an inspiring leader in running a company. In the past 15 years, the Jung siblings has never failed and made The Arrow grow rapidly to expand into Europe and America. The different is Mimi’s older siblings are rarely got exposed by the media, unlike Mimi who is known as a troublemaker who often appears in the media with her scandal. Their private lives are so closed and the public sees them as cold and distant person, hard to reach. But unknown to them, behind those cold and distant behavior, her brother is someone who really loves and cares about his family, never once forget to contact the youngest Jung once in a while between his works. And Mimi won’t deny that she also missed her brother.

“I understand if you still feel disappointed for your failure on the project a few years ago, but I don’t want you get involved with something like that again. I only have you right now and I can’t lose you too…”

That immediately brought tears to Mimi’s eyes again, as she remembered their oldest sister’s accident ten years ago. She hurts, so does her brother, but he never showed his feeling about it and Mimi knows he did it for her. Mimi knows he tried to be strong for the both of them.

“Don’t you want to know who-”

“Sooyeon Noona doesn’t want that.” Her brother’s voice interrupted Mimi’s words. “If she wanted us to finish what she can’t accomplish, she would have leave any clues to you or me… But she didn’t. She didn’t tell us anything, Mimi. Her accident…is just an accident.”

“Oppa...”

“I almost lost control when I heard about your accident four years ago. I prayed every day for you to wake up and come back to us. If He saved you, I promise I’ll let go of what happened to you and Sooyeon Noona, and He heard my prayers, so I let it go.”

“That’s your own deal with God, but I didn’t make any promise like that.”

“Please don’t be stubborn. You have Bora, don’t you remember? Do you want to see her getting hurt again if the same thing happened to you again?”

The mention of Hana’s name made Mimi bit her lips. Hana has been, is, and will always be her priority. Hana has always been her reason for not being careless. And now, her brother also uses her name to stop her madness.

“Think of Hana when you start to get carried away about your past. Keep your emotions and consider Hana’s feelings. She hurts the most over what happened to you four years ago. Don’t hurt her again in the same way. She really loves you, Jung Mimi.”

 

***

 

Seoul, October 26th

Mimi gasped from her sleep. For a moment she closed her eyes, trying to catch her breath and soothe her pounding heart from the nightmare that haunted her. Mimi tried to calm herself before opening her eyes again. The sight of her fiancée sitting back against the arm of the couch with her gaze staring out the window welcoming Mimi. In Hana’s hand, a steaming cup of coffee accompanied her as she enjoyed the view from their 17th floor apartment. Hana’s body wrapped in kimono. Her bare legs and messy hair giving the impression of iness though Hana didn’t wear any make-up. Her figure looks like a beautiful silhouette and Mimi can’t take her eyes off Hana.

Mimi grabbed the pillow and rested her head. Her gaze stayed at Hana’s beautiful figure, enjoying and feeling grateful to have her by her side. She didn’t know how long she stared at Hana, but she didn’t care.

Feeling Mimi’s stare at her, Hana turned and her eyes met Mimi’s.

“Good morning, Babe,” Hana sipped her coffee. Mimi smiled at the gesture, but soon her smile turned into a frown as she saw Hana’s unusual gaze.

“Wae?” Mimi rubbed her watery eyes and put her head back on the pillow.

“Wae?” Hana asked back, but the smile on her face remained widely.

“Why are you staring at me like that? As if you want to eat me.”

Hana propped her head with one hand. Still with her intense gaze to Mimi and the mysterious wide smile.

“I’m admiring my work.” Hana pointed at Mimi with her chin. “Your hickeys.”

Hana laughed at Mimi’s blushing face because of her words. And of course Mimi won’t let Hana enjoy her victory for granted. She rolled over and removed the blanket over her body and get out of bed. Her smile appeared at Hana’s change of expression as she saw Mimi’s body. Her eyes followed Mimi’s movement as the oldest took the kimono that lying on the floor, and Mimi laughed at the dissatisfied look that Hana showed when her body was now clad in a kimono.

“Like what you saw earlier, Shin Bora?” Mimi stood before Hana with her arms crossed. She tilted her head to Hana with a smirk that made Hana’s heart beating fast. Mimi always managed to give Hana an effect like this every time she started to show her dominant side.

“Of course I like it, there’s nothing to be ashamed to admit it,” Hana replied with her chin raised, not wanting to lose. “You belong to me, Jung Mimi, and your y body is mine.” She shifted her legs and showed her bare legs at Mimi. She smiled in victory as she saw Mimi’s eyes follow her movements and her lips.

“Then can you tell me what you’re wearing behind the kimono? I’m curious. Is that lingerie? Bullet? Demi? Or strapless?”

“Guess what?” Hana smiled seductively. “Which one do you prefer?”

“Let me undresses you then. I’d rather if you’re not wearing anything, Babe.”

Hana can feel her cheeks turning red as she heard Mimi laughed. She came closer and met her lips with Hana’s. Her laughing stifled as her lips sensed the aroma of coffee that she normally would avoided. But this is Hana. Hana and coffee are inseparable and Mimi had accepted that fact for many years ago. To her, only the smell of coffee around Hana that makes her addicted. It makes her wanting to touch Hana with her lips and fingers. And Hana always gave her the best response that made Mimi hard to stop.

Now, with Hana’s lips so easy to blend with hers, Mimi’s hand moves to hold Hana’s head. The other hand moves mischievously touching Hana’s abs from behind the kimono she wore. Mimi could not help but smile as she realized that Hana was wearing only her demi and without any other cloth covering her body. Gently, she’s Hana’s bottom lip before giving her a full mouth kisses. She deepened her kiss and began to explore the inside of Hana’s mouth with her tongue. Mimi smirked when she heard Hana’s groan as her lips began to explore Hana’s jaw and neck. Hana giggled as she can feel Mimi’s breath touched her skin and Hana’s laughter made Mimi even more dexterous to make a new work in Hana’s smooth neck. Adding another hickey to the beautiful body of her lover.

Hana’s breath caught as Mimi’s hand tugged at the kimono that covered her body and began to her collarbone. Without wasting time, Mimi took the kimono off of Hana’s body. Hana can feel the cold air hitting her skin before the warm sensation hugged her body as Mimi’s fingers traced her back. Mimi pulled Hana’s body closer to her and buried her face in Hana’s chest. She gave kisses around her lover’s and whispering ‘I love you’ between the kisses and moved her hand around Hana’s waist. Hana moaned as Mimi’s hand began to touch the –still– sensitive part of her body. Rubbing and squeezing slowly and making Hana squirm under Mimi’s domination. What they did last night still left a tremendous effect on the touch of Mimi’s fingers. She feel aroused when Mimi touch every inch of her body.

“You want to continue our activities last night, huh?” Hana panted breathlessly and wrapped her arms around Mimi’s neck until Mimi’s lips caught her lips again. She groaned in satisfaction when Mimi nibbled her lips. Still in slowly and gentle moves.

“I’m still , so, why not?” Mimi laughed and gave a brief kiss on Hana’s lips. Once again, the kisses travel from all over her face down to her neck, and Hana is trying to stop Mimi’s kiss by cupping her palms on Mimi’s face, asked the girl to look back at her.

“But I have taken a bath, Hon.” Hana smiled seductively and made Mimi no longer restrain herself.

“There’s nothing wrong with you doing it again later,” Mimi moved down to Hana’s with her lips. “With me. Now shut up and let me do my work, Babe.”

 

***

 

“Do you have any event today?” Hana asked as she finished washing the dishes and now tidying up the cutlery and drying her hands. Behind her, Mimi looked up from the mug of hot chocolate in front of her. She looked at Hana’s back that covered by a white shirt that overshadowed her tiny body without wearing any pant. They had just finished a very late breakfast after continuing their ‘activities’ in the bedroom.

“Ani. Wae?” Mimi answered and sipped her hot chocolate, before she remembered something and reached out for her phone, looking for her schedule. “Wait, I almost forgot, I have to attend the banquet event tonight. Can you accompany me?”

“Okay.” Hana looked over her shoulder. “But we can have a date before that event. Want to visit Nayoung with me this afternoon?”

“Good idea.” Mimi winked as she sipped her chocolate again.

Hana chuckled at Mimi gestured. She grabbed the kettle and filled it with water before putting it on the stove. After that, she turned to face Mimi.

“Nayoung didn’t stop whining and keep asking to get out of the hospital out of boredom, but we all know what she is actually worried about.”

Mimi nodded in agreement. “I thought she would stop being a workaholic after getting engaged but it doesn’t seem so. She’s really stubborn. As usual.” Her fingers moved to play the spoon inside her mug.

“She even asked Doyeon to bring her laptop to the hospital.” Hana sighed as she walked to Mimi and cupped Mimi’s cheeks with her palm, making Mimi automatically leaned on Hana’s touch. Hana smiled and gently rubbed the cheeks and gave a peck on Mimi’s forehead. “She is just like you.”

“Hey, I’m better than her, Babe,” Mimi protested right away, and Hana laughed. “When will Nayoung discharged from the hospital?”

“If today and tomorrow she doesn’t have a fever and throw up I think she can go home in a week.” Hana went back to the stove and opened the closet that hung over to look for her mug.

“It would be much better if you held her longer in the hospital.” Mimi blurted out. Hana turned to Mimi to see her grinning, making her confused. “She needs rest. Works will stress her out and it won’t do any good to her recovery.”

Hana nodded as she focusing back to making her own coffee. She agreed with what Mimi just said, she wants Nayoung to recover quickly too so the younger girl really should stay away from her works for a while.

“Bora-ya...” Mimi called Hana.

“Hmm?”

“What if I get back to driving?” Mimi asked carefully, and Hana dropped the spoon she’s holding, making Mimi surprised.

Hana turned around fully, staring at Mimi with shock.

“…What?” she asked slowly. Mimi bit her lips as she noticed Hana’s trembling hands.

“I mean, I want to take my driving license back,” Mimi repeated her words slowly, clearly, and carefully. Seeing Hana’s reaction made her anxious too.

“Andwe...” Hana said, her voice was shaking and she tearing up, immediately making Mimi left her chair and went to hug her. Hana hugged her back, she started to sob in her shoulder, “Andwe, Mimi-ya… Why? What happened? Why, out of sudden–”

Mimi rubbed her back in attempt to calm her down. “Nothing, I’m fine, nothing happened,” she said. She looked at Hana and kissed her, “I’m fine, really… I’m just thinking about it. It’s been years, I think I can handle sitting behind the wheel again. Don’t you think it would be nice if we could go on date comfortably without accompanied by our driver?”

“I can drive for you if you don’t want to be with the driver,” Hana replied quickly. She hugged Mimi again and buried her face in the curve of Mimi’s neck, her tears falling down to her cheeks. “I don’t like seeing you driving. I don’t want to see you driving anymore. Please?”

Hana knew it was a bad idea to watch the CCTV video of Mimi’s accident but her curiosity won over her fears as she tried to find out what really happened four years ago. It is still clear in her mind how Mimi’s car had a successive collision and made the girl’s body squeezed between the car wrecks. It is still clear in her mind how difficult the evacuation process was done by the police and firefighters to get Mimi out of the car. Hana also remembers clearly how bad Mimi’s condition when the paramedics took her to the hospital. Mimi was dying and almost died of a head injury and hemorrhage.

Mimi bit her lower lip. She didn’t expect Hana would react like this, realizing that her accident gave more impact and trauma to Hana. Hana really scared with her idea and Mimi can’t see her like this. She sighed.

“Fine, I won’t drive, please stop crying, hmm?” she gave in and kissed the side of Hana’s head. They hugged for a long time, she kept saying some comforting words to Hana, until Hana finally stopped crying and calmed down.

If Hana doesn’t want her to drive, she will obey Hana and tell her that she will not drive, but Mimi also knows that she probably can’t keep her words till the end.

 

***

 

“Careful.” Sejeong held Nayoung’s hand and lead her to walk slowly. These days, every afternoon Sejeong always help Nayoung doing her post-surgery exercise. Although Nayoung was still weak to walk, at least she was able to walk with the help of crutches.

“Argh... Why is it so hard to balance my body while stepping with my left foot?” Nayoung hissed as her legs wobbled and nearly fell. Sejeong quickly grabbed Nayoung’s body and put her arm around Nayoung’s waist. She could hear Nayoung’s gasping in her ear. She knew there had not been much progress going on with her lover yet she didn’t want to make Nayoung discouraged.

“That’s because you avoid pain. You can walk, it’s just that you’re afraid to feel pain if you do that.” Sejeong stood before Nayoung with one hand on her waist, while her other hand moved to Nayoung’s stomach. Nayoung flinched when she felt Sejeong her wound.

“Hey, calm down, I won’t hurt you,” Sejeong said gently and kissed the older girl’s cheek.

“You are touching my wound, I can’t help but afraid, okay?” Nayoung hissed, and Sejeong felt bad at how scared she sounded.

“I’m just checking,” Sejeong pressed the area around Nayoung’s wound. “Appo?” Sejeong asked intently.

Nayoung winced in pain and nodded. Sejeong understand and helped her walking slowly to the couch on the corner. Nayoung sat carefully and pulled Sejeong to sit with her, automatically leaning on her arms as Sejeong chuckled at Nayoung’s clingy mode.

“I hate being weak like this,” Nayoung muttered softly to Sejeong’s chest.

“It’s okay, I’m sure you can walk normally again in a few days. Be patient, Unnie,” Sejeong Nayoung’s back. She understands Nayoung’s irritation at her condition, not being able to move as freely as she used to be. Even so, Sejeong doesn’t want Nayoung to force herself and make her condition worse. Also, Nayoung’s condition still fragile and any fatigue can worsen her current state.

“When can I get discharged from the hospital?” Nayoung grabbed Sejeong’s hand in her grasp and squeezed it gently. Eyes forming into the cute one, repeating the same question every day as if she would get a different answer.

But after considering Nayoung’s current condition, Sejeong only has one answer for her.

“In two weeks.”

“But Hana Unnie said I can go home after a week,” Nayoung protested.

“Hana Unnie said you can go home after one or two weeks depends on your condition.” Sejeong chuckled and wiped the sweat on Nayoung’s forehead. She noticed Nayoung still have fever although she never forget her medicine and had enough rest. More reason for Sejeong to keep Nayoung in the hospital. “You still have fever. I can’t let you go home in this state,” she said worriedly.

“But I have to go to Cali next week.”

Nayoung’s words made Sejeong take off her embrace.

“What? Are you kidding me?”

Nayoung shook her head. “I’ve promised to Somi and Hyeyeon that I’ll go to their graduation ceremony.”

“No,” Sejeong shook her head. “No, Unnie. You can’t go.”

The surgeon clenched her jaws, trying to hold the anger at what Nayoung just said. Nayoung, who had been unconscious last week for a stab wound in her stomach. Nayoung, who fainted and vomited blood, who almost died because lost a lot of blood. The one who’s dying on the operating table and almost made her lose her mind when Nayoung’s heartbeat went on flat-line. Nayoung who had to stay in the ICU and not waking up for days because of the internal bleeding. Nayoung who vomited and having fever for days, still having difficult in walking by her own, just told her that she’s going to California next week? Sejeong almost lost it there.

“Sejeong-ah...”

Nayoung began to whining and Sejeong had to close her eyes. She doesn’t want to explode right there.

“If I said no, then no, Unnie,” Sejeong stayed with her answer. “You aren’t in condition to go home, to go anywhere, especially not in condition to fly to some country.”

“Ong will go with me and make sure I will rest and follow all your rules. I will not force myself.”

Nayoung kissed Sejeong shoulder, then climbed up to her neck and face. She does looks adorable but Sejeong didn’t respond to her touches. Not when she knows Nayoung only tried to persuade her so she could go.

“Even if you go with Ong Oppa, or Doyeonie, or the whole The Arc members, my answer won’t change. No!”

Nayoung sighed and looked at Sejeong with her puppy eyes. Sejeong almost gave up at the adorable sight if she didn’t remember about Nayoung’s condition and another possibility that made Nayoung insist on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter