Chapter 2

Efforts

“Irene and I talked yesterday.” Wendy says to Seulgi as both of them are eating their lunch in the cafeteria quietly. The incident that happened yesterday replayed in Wendy’s mind again and again the whole day, like a broken record and it doesn’t fail to make the poor girl feel worse about herself.

 

“Really? What did you guys talked about?” The bear sounds genuinely shocked at the blue haired girl’s confession. She immediately stops munching on her salad and focuses on Wendy’s facial expression instead.

 

“She asked for a second chance…” Wendy trails her words and is now playing with her lunch, suddenly feeling uninterested to eat again.

 

“So what did you say?”

 

“Seul…” Wendy sighs and lays her head on the table, closing her eyes. “You know how I feel about people cheating in a relationship…”

 

“Yeah but… don’t you still love her?”

 

“I don’t know…”

 

Seulgi sighs and pat Wendy’s head softly, looking at her best friend sympathetically. “It’s okay Wan-ah… you deserve someone better than her.” Wendy really don’t deserve to be hurt at all Seulgi thought. The girl in front of her is nothing but nice towards everyone and seeing her getting hurt as a return for her kindness just, makes Seulgi feel hurt too.

 

“Why aren’t people as nice as you…” Wendy smiles sadly and sit straight, staring Seulgi right in the eyes.

 

The bear just scoffs and laughs playfully, poking Wendy’s nose. “Stop staring at me like that, Wan-ah. I’m not Irene.”

 

“Yeah you’re not. You’re better than her.” Wendy curves her lip up a little while keep staring at her bestfriend.

 

If only you realized sooner…

 


 

Irene and Wendy’s relationship aren’t going any better nor any worse. Both of them still didn’t talk after the incident at the restaurant the other day. Wendy finally quits her job there and instead spend her spare time studying or hanging out with Seulgi, much to Irene’s dismay. After a few weeks, Irene finally decides to confront Wendy. She couldn’t and she wouldn’t let Seulgi having Wendy all the time anyway.

 

“Wan-ah…” Irene says just before Wendy was about to stand up from her chair.

 

“Y-yes?” Wendy stutters, never in a million years she would expect Irene to talk to her again, especially in the class in front of their whole classmates. Shock and confusion are written all over her face but Wendy feigned ignorance, looking at her with a poker face.

 

Irene fidgets her fingers, which does not fail to make the shorter of the two notice. Wendy secretly find the situation amusing. She remembers the first time Irene had done that was when the latter was making a move on her few years ago. “A-Are you free tomorrow? Can we like… hang out or something?” Irene tries to smile warmly but she failed, since she is now very nervous to talk to Wendy again. She’s looking at everywhere except Wendy’s face.

 

“Sorry Joohyun, I’m hanging out with Seulgi tomorrow.” Wendy fakes a smile while quickly shoving her things inside her bag. The blue haired girl feels like leaving that place this instance.

 

“H-how about the day after tomorrow then?” Irene is still not giving up easily, not after she heard the name she despises a little.

 

“Ah… sorry, Seulgi invited me to go to her family’s dinner that day. I can’t really cancel and leave her alone that day. Sorry.” Wendy is starting to stand up but Irene is preventing her to do so, which made her a little uncomfortable.

 

“How about this Fr-“

 

“Wannie I’m here~”

 

Both of them hear a familiar voice just outside of their class. Wendy secretly heave a sigh of relieve before standing up, wanting to go away from Irene as soon as possible. She quickly zips her bag before looking at Irene for the last time.

 

“T-That’s Seulgi, I should probably go now. Thanks for the offer anyway, Joohyun. Bye.” Wendy smiles apologetically and quickly walks out of the class, towards Seulgi.

 

Irene internally groans and starting to hate Seulgi a little since Irene know Seulgi is the reason why Wendy is uncomfortable with her. She clenches her fist tightly, gritting her teeth as she’s thing of a thousand things to do someday.

 


 

“What did Irene talked to you about?” Seulgi asks as soon as both of them walks away from the latter’s class. Even after dashing out of her class, Wendy’s heartbeat still thumping furiously and she can’t decipher why is she feeling like that. Feeling like escaping every time she sees Irene.

 

“She said that she wants to hang out with me.” Wendy says monotonously while casting her gaze at the floor, uninterested in everything that’s happening around her. The floor is suddenly more interesting than everything around her.

 

“Then why did you reject her?”

 

“How do you even know that I reject her?” Wendy looks at Seulgi while furrowing her eyebrows, which made Seulgi smiles at her.

 

“Are you dumb? I’ve known you since we were toddlers Wendy. I know just by watching your facial expression.” Seulgi laughs a little and poke Wendy at the head, which made the latter shove her at the shoulder playfully.

 

“Sorry… forgot about that hehe…” The blue haired girl giggles and continue looking at the floor, feeling a little bit better.

 

“Tsk.” Seulgi tsk-s before continuing, “So now, tell me why did you reject her.”

 

“Aren’t we hanging out tomorrow? I can’t just cancel our plan for tomorrow just so I can hang out with her, Seul.”

 

“Hey, of course you can! We can always hang out anytime we want to, right? Unlike Irene, you know how busy she is. You should be glad that she is willing to clear her schedule just so that she can win your heart back.”

 

Seulgi’s words made Wendy think hard. Should she just accept Irene’s offer?

 


 

Wendy ended up not accepting Irene’s offer because she is still weeping on the floor, she really can’t move on after being cheated on. This is the second time she had been cheated on. The first time was this boy, who cheated on her just because Wendy refused to have with him. After a few months of rejecting the offer, the boy decided to cheat on Wendy with another girl, who’s willing to have with him anytime he want to. That incident made Wendy heart broke to a million pieces. Irene is the second one. Irene know about what happened to Wendy before and Irene herself promised to never let that happened to Wendy again. But, dumb Irene broke her promise by cheating on Wendy with the rich bogus guy.

 

“Stupid Irene…” Wendy mutters tons of time while keep weeping on the floor at the middle of the night.

 

After all, that’s her secret daily routine that no one knows, not even Seulgi.

 

Pathetic, she thought.

 


 

SUMMER BALL DANCE!

EVERYONE IS INVITED AND ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO BRING THEIR OWN DATE!

DATE: 13 AUGUST

TIME: 4 PM – 12 AM

 

Wendy stares at the poster on the notice board soullessly. She has been going to prom and ball dance for this past two years with Irene and she is always excited about it. But now? She isn’t even interested as she reads the neatly printed words on the poster. She looks around and most of the students, especially girls are squealing so hard, showing their excitement while the boys are already planning on giving their crush or girlfriend a promposal. Sighing internally, Wendy grips her bag straps hardly and continue walking to her locker, acting as if she never read the poster just now.

 

“Hey Wan.” Seulgi says as she jogs towards Wendy. Her cute teddy bear best friend slash soulmate slash locker mate looks a little bit excited that day, much to the blue haired girl’s confusion.

 

“Oh. Hey Seul.” Wendy fake a smile while side-eyeing the bear, opening her locker as soon as she arrives there. Seulgi looks at Wendy who is shoving her thick Chemistry book inside her bag before saying something to the visibly irritated girl.

 

“Lemme guess, you’re not interested in going to the dance.”

 

“No Sherlock.”

 

“Just go Wan-ah. It’s the best way to release your stress. You don’t even need to bring a date with you. I don’t saw any word that says ‘compulsory’ on the poster!”

 

“Why do you sound so excited? Do you have anyone in mind that you want to ask?”

 

“Naah. No one wants me.”

 

Wendy just snickers and poke Seulgi’s nose playfully, “You’re pretty Seul. Someone would want you.”

 

“One could only pray…” Seulgi says hopelessly and smiled widely at Wendy, who was smiling back at her cute dumb bestfriend.

 

And they fall into silence again. A good kinda silence.

 

As the blue haired girl was about to close her locker, Seulgi then breaks the silence again.

 

“But Wan…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“What if she asks you to go with her?”

 

Oh stupid Wendy. Why didn’t she think about that before?

 

“I… would reject her.”

 

“Why do you sound hesitated?”

 

“Oh shut up Seul.” Wendy groans and hit Seulgi playfully on her shoulder to which the latter giggles and rub her aching shoulder.

 

“Sorry heheh. Gotta go Wan. History’s starting and I don’t want to get scolded, again.” Seulgi pouts as she finishes her sentence and quickly move her cute legs towards her class.

 

Wendy smiles and closes her locker, immediately walking towards her class. Her smile immediately fades as she thought of something.

 

Seulgi’s right. What if Irene asks her to go to the dance with her?

 


 

Fortunately, Irene and her didn’t talk at all that day. Wendy is feeling better and better the longer she and Irene didn’t talk or see each other. It’s a good thing right? Wendy could only think.

 

However, sooner or later Wendy would have to face her ex-girlfriend again, she knows that. But the girl wouldn’t even think of it to be this soon, and it’s definitely not nice way of facing her ex-girlfriend. Scratch that, this is the worst possible way for her to face Irene.

 

It is just a normal day for Wendy, finishing her class, walk to her locker, place her books there and go back home. But, no not today it isn’t.

 

As she is walking quietly, the girl could hear a commotion near her locker, a loud, scary and familiar voices that are booming loudly. Students, lots of them, are already crowding the place as they are looking in amusement at the commotion. Fastening her steps, Wendy pushes the students out of her way to make it to the front of the crowd and she could only confirm her horror as she is looking at a horrible scene in front of her. It is Irene, and Seulgi, who was pinned against the locker by Wendy’s ex-girlfriend.

 

Irene is putting her arm on Seulgi’s neck, almost choking the bear who was looking at her with her face full of shock and fright at the same time.

 

“I hate you! Stop stealing Wendy away from me!” Irene screams and pins Seulgi on the locker harder.

 

“What are you talking abo-“

 

“Stop pretending! You just want her all by yourself! She is mine and I still love her! You might love her but I love her more!” The visibly angry girl keeps shouting and the students around there are whispering to each other. A new gossip for them.

 

Wendy, who cannot bear to watch this any longer steps into the two girls to stop them from fighting. But Irene being Irene, who’s a girl that doesn’t care about her surrounding when she’s mad, doesn’t realize that Wendy is there.

 

“Joohyun stop!” She shouts as she is trying to pull Irene away from Seulgi who was feeling vulnerable at that time.

 

“No!” The dark haired girl raises her voice, feeling very very angry. “Let this pay for what she has done!” Irene adds before slamming Seulgi’s body towards the locker hardly. The latter flinches in pain and close her eyes tightly.

 

“Joohyun please sto-“

 

Wendy’s words are cut short as she feels a hard, painful and sharp object plants on her right cheek, making her fall onto the ground. Irene backslaps her.

 

“Ah !” She curses in English and touches her painful cheek, and her eyes widens as she could feel blood oozing out from her cheek. The ring Irene is wearing manage to cut Wendy’s cheek.

 

She’s bleeding. Because of Irene. This is the first time Irene hurt someone physically, and Wendy is the first one.

 

“Wendy!” Seulgi shouts and pushes Irene away from her and quickly squatted beside the bleeding girl. Irene who just realized what she had done looked utterly in shock and feel like crying as she sees Wendy who has a bleeding cheek kneeling on the floor with a painful expression.

 

“W-Wan…” Irene mutters and quickly walks towards the girl that she physically hurt but only to be stopped by her.

 

“D-Don’t touch me.” Wendy looks at Irene in horror and the latter could only look at her regretfully. “G-Get the hell out of here.”

 

What have she done?

 

“Wendy you’re bleeding.” Seulgi says worriedly and takes out her handkerchief, placing it on the blue haired girl’s cheek. “Let’s go.” Seulgi says and forcefully made Wendy stand up, wrapping her hands around her best friend’s body securely.

 


 

“I’m sorry you have to go through this.”

 

“What do you mean? It’s okay Seungwan. That’s what best friends are for, right?”
 

“Ironic isn’t it?” Wendy chuckles sadly and stares at Seulgi straight in the eyes.

 

“What?” The bear girl stares at Wendy back.

 

“That Irene hurt me emotionally and physically.”

 

Seulgi sighs before bandaging Wendy’s cheek, “She’s just angry, it’s common for people to hurt someone they don’t intent to when they’re angry. Especially when they’re angry.”

 

“Why are you so nice Seul? You should’ve hate her; you should’ve hate me for having to go through that.”

 

Instead of saying anything, Seulgi just continue treating her best friend’s wound quietly. After a few minutes, she’s done, but Seulgi keep her hand on Wendy’s bandaged cheek, looking at Wendy straight in the eye.

 

“I can’t hate you even if I want to.” The taller of the two smiles genuinely before continuing, “You have a special place in my heart. Always.” Seulgi caress Wendy’s cheek softly and keep staring at her straight in the eye for almost a minute.

 

Seulgi could feel Wendy’s intent stare back and she swear she could feel the latter’s face inching closer and closer to hers.

 

Closer.

 

Closer.

 

Their lips are just a few centimetres away from each other.

 

Closer.

 

Seulgi could feel Wendy’s hot, shaky breaths against her lips.

 

So close.

 

Almost there.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Blinking her eyes away from the intent staring, the monolid girl fakes a few coughs and backs away quickly.

 

“I-I should go. It’s late.” Seulgi says and quickly stand up, walking towards the front door.

 

“Y-Yeah you should.” Wendy too, fakes a few coughs and walks Seulgi to the door.

 

“T-Thank you for treating my wounds.” Wendy says, looking at the floor, face full of embarrassment.

 

“Anytime, Wannie.” Seulgi smiles and messes her best friend’s hair playfully. “Goodnight. See you tomorrow.”

 

“You too.” Wendy smiles nervously before closing the door.

 

She immediately slides herself against the door, hugging her knee tightly while burying her blushing face on her knee.

 

Stupid Wendy. Why did you even think of doing that to your best friend?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I have no idea what the I have wrote. *hides in the corner*