End?

Efforts

“I really don’t think love is based on effort. Don’t you think so?” Wendy looks at the ground with a sad smile on her face, but quickly covers it with a poker face.

 

“Wendy what do you mean?”

 

Irene observes Wendy’s expression. But to her dismay, Wendy put on her unreadable expression.

 

“You want cold water. I fan the cup a million times, then someone else walks by with ice, and you go to the person instead, not even glancing or thinking about how ing hard I tried, isn’t it?”

 

Wendy’s spiteful words pierced through Irene right in the heart. She doesn’t want to admit that because of her ego but deep inside her heart, she knows what Wendy stating is true, and it’s all because of her. Bogum walked into her life, offering her expensive things, presents, ride to school just because he is rich while Wendy worked her very hard, taking part time job in the ty restaurant who is treating Wendy as if she’s some kinda useless animal. But Wendy doesn’t care although working there killed her joyful self, day by day, as time goes by. She doesn’t care because she’s doing it so that Irene and her can have a stable, happy life. Well Irene? While Wendy is working hard in the ty restaurant, she is ‘secretly’ spending time with the rich heartthrob named Park Bogum. Irene didn’t even think for a second how hard Wendy work every day just for the sake of her. Call her nice but she is acting like to Wendy.

 

Irene keep mum, trying to hold back the tears from falling down her cheeks, while Wendy is already sobbing, thinking back how much it hurts seeing her girlfriend being kissed by the bogus guy right in front of her very own eyes.

 

“You want something from a person. Maybe you have expectations. I work with blood sweat and tears to reach to your expectations. You don’t even know how horrible it is to work at that ing restaurant but I have to because that’s the only way I can get money so that I can meet your expectation. But you don’t even care, right? Then suddenly that Bogum guy just came by and has the thing you’ve been looking for. So, you go with him instead.”

 

“Wendy, I-“

 

“I don’t know what had happened to you, Joohyun. You’ve changed. You’re not the old Irene that I fell in love with anymore. It feels like I don’t even know you anymore. It felt as if we are strangers.”

 

Irene flinched hearing Wendy calling her by her real name The only time Wendy had called her with that name is when Wendy is angry at her, and also when they were strangers.

 

“Wendy please-“ Irene tried to explain herself and take a grip her girlfriend’s wrist firmly. But, just after a few seconds of doing so, Wendy jolts her hand away from Irene.

 

“Don’t touch me!” Wendy vociferate, startling Irene. Wendy is snivelling, her eyes are bloodshot red but Irene know she is not crying of sadness, Wendy is crying of anger, disappointment, frustration and fiery.

 

“Let’s just end this.”

 

Irene immediately cries hearing that Wendy’s word. Wendy really want to break up with her, much to Irene’s fear. Irene cheated on Wendy but she knows that she still loves Wendy, very much.

 

“Wendy please don’t-“

 

“No. Stop. You look happy with Bogum to care about us, to care about me anyway.” Wendy spits her very last words to Irene before slamming the front door. Just like that, Irene let go of the girl she loves with all her heart. And that’s the last time Irene had ever heard of Wendy again. Two years of relationship, end, just like that. And it’s all her fault.

 


 

Seconds turn to minutes, minutes turn to hours, hours turn to days, days turn to weeks and weeks turn to months. Irene is still waiting for the day that Wendy would be hers back. But Irene know that it’ll probably not come true since she knows how strong and stubborn Wendy is. All these time, Irene could only stare at Wendy’s back at class. She tried talking to Wendy but the shorter would only ignore or talking to Seulgi all the time. She tried talking to Wendy right after class end but stubborn Wendy would shove her belongings into her bag and quickly walked outside of the class. Rumours spread like wildfire of the two breaking up since the two lovebirds are acting like strangers. People would ask either Irene or Wendy and Irene would just shrug the question off, confusing people.

 

Wendy? Well, she’s just saying that they’re on their break. People would look at her pitifully since they know, couples who are on their break time, would ended breaking up anyway.

 

 

“Hey Wen, I got you your favourite!” Seulgi chirps while holding a tray of Wendy’s favourite food, French fries. “Don’t you want it Wannie?” The bear coos and force Wendy to open with the said French fries.

 

“I’m not hungry Seul.” Wendy groans and shove the latter’s hand away softly.

 

“Aww c’mon Wen. You said that for months already. I know you’re hungry.” Seulgi put on the cutest pout she could ever make, which doesn’t fail to make Wendy smile a little.

 

“Thanks.” The hamster says shortly and hold Seulgi’s wrist firmly, guiding it to her hand and took a bite of the French fries from her bestfriend’s hand.

 

“That’s my girl.” Seulgi says gleefully and messes Wendy’s hair, which made Wendy whine and fixes her hair. “Stop frowning and always smile Wan. You look the most pretty when you smile.” Seulgi lectures Wendy and poke her friend’s cute nose.

 

“I have no reason to smile anymore Seul.”

 

“Of course you do! You can smile of a lot of things! French fries, Mr. Kim’s cringy jokes, Mark’s attempt to flirt girls. You can even smile because of me!”

 

Seulgi rants while shoving French fries into , making her bear feature more define as she does so. In the end, Wendy’s lips curved up, and she only realize that she is in fact, smiling.

 

“Fine, I’ll smile. Only because of you.”

 

Little did they know, there’s someone who’s secretly hearing their whole conversation, and she is on the verge of tears. Wendy now has a reason to smile after a few months, and Irene is not the reason of Wendy’s happiness. Not anymore.

 


 

Closing the door of her apartment after saying goodbye to Seulgi, Wendy can finally let her walls down. Sliding down the door, she hugged her knees and cried silently, remembering every details, every memories of Irene and her. She misses the purple haired girl so bad but there’s nothing she can do right now, not after what Irene have done to her. Wendy tried to be strong, be the girl who’s unaffected to anything that had happened, the rumours that she heard. People’s words are hurting her, especially when it’s about Irene. Someone found out about what actually had happened between those two. They found out that Irene was caught cheating on Wendy with a rich guy from another school. They started calling Irene gold-digger. Words travelled and in no time, the whole school knows about it and they started calling Irene bad words. , gold-digger, and whatever close to that. When Wendy found out about her ex-girlfriend’s new nickname after she heard a guy muttering, calling Irene a , she almost punched the guy straight in the face but she knows she can’t do that. She is still healing from her wounds, and the last thing she need to do is creating another unwanted rumours.

 

Wendy tries so hard to heal her wound but everytime she remembers about Irene, the memories, and especially Irene’s new nickname, her wounds are unfolding every seconds that passed. So, Wendy just cry. Cry till her wound would seal up again. She kept on doing that for months, and she failed. But Wendy doesn’t give up. Wendy never gives up.

 


 

Ironically, Wendy still works at the ty restaurant a few blocks away from her apartment. She thought that that’s the only way she could distract her mind away from Irene, eventhough she’s treated like amongst her co-workers. Sometimes, Wendy even covers for someone although the said person is right there, playing with her phone almost all the time. The only one who treat her well is the manager, but he is too busy to even take care of his workers. People around her making her as the victim since she has a very nice heart. She couldn’t even say no to anyone.

 

“Wendy, order at table 3!” Her co-worker, Peter, shouts from the cashier before he walks to the back door, going god-knows where. Maybe he’s going to smoke with his friends, Wendy thought.

 

Wiping her hands dry (since she was washing the dirty dishes just now. Her co-workers? Don’t even mention about them), Wendy takes out her notebook and pen from her cute blue apron and walk towards table 3, not forgetting to put on her fake smile.

 

“Welcome to Big Buckets. What can I get for you today?” Wendy fakes a smile while looking at her customers, and her face immediately fall after seeing the person who she misses this whole time.

 

It is Irene, and in front of her is her sister, Yerim.

 

“W-wendy? You still work here?” Irene’s face was white as a paper, she herself is shocked to see Wendy here, since she thought the blue haired girl had stopped working in the ty restaurant.

 

“What can I get for you today.” Wendy masks her face with a poker face. Thank god she’s wearing a cap or else everyone in the restaurant could see how she is sweating bullets eventhough the place is air conditioned.

 

“Wendy-“

 

“I asked you what can I get for you today.” Wendy cuts Irene’s words and raised her tone every word that she spits, earning some warning look from her co-workers.

 

But Wendy didn’t care, since she knows her co-workers are all behind this. They know about what had happened between those two since half of them are from her school. There are a lot of waiters available to serve but they especially choose Wendy instead after realizing the girl in table no.3 is in fact, Irene.

 

“Wendy tone down your voice. Respect the customer.” One of her co-worker says while glaring at her.

 

“Oh you.” Wendy snapped. “I bet you don’t even know what respect means. All you do here is just playing with your goddamn phone asking me to do all the work. When manager Lim’s here that’s the only time you’re doing your work properly, you ing two-faced .”

 

Gasps could be heard inside the restaurant and Irene herself gasped, since this is the first time she had seen Wendy snapped in public.

 

“You .” Her co-worker says and slaps Wendy hard on her left cheek. Feeling shocked, Wendy hold her left cheek and run away from the restaurant, leaving everyone, especially Irene shocked at what had just happened.

 

“Unnie, chase her, she needs you the most right now.” Yerim urges Irene while holding her hand firmly. Irene nods and quickly chases Wendy, who is walking quickly to her apartment while crying silently. She didn’t forget to shove the two-faced harshly before chasing the love of her life.

 

“Wendy wait!” Irene shouts as soon as she sees the petite figure of Wendy. She fastens her steps until she reaches Wendy and quickly grabs the latter’s wrist, turning her around and quickly engulfs Wendy in a tight, warm hug.

 

Wendy tried to get away from Irene’s hug but the harder Wendy tries, the tighter Irene hug is.

 

“L-let go of me Joohyun!” Wendy is in a sobbing mess; she couldn’t hold back her tears which keep falling down harder as seconds pass.

 

“No Wendy! No. Not again.” Irene could hear her own voice cracks at her last word, she knows she can’t let go of Wendy again after she broke Wendy piece by piece few months ago.

 

So, Wendy cried harder and punches Irene in the shoulder. It hurts, Irene thought but she knows Wendy is hurting way worse than her right now. Irene let Wendy hit her as much as she likes.

 

“I” Hit. “Hate.” Hit. “You.” Hit.

 

Wendy keeps on punching Irene’s shoulder while the latter just winches at Wendy’s hit. She swears it’ll leave bruises on her shoulder. But again, Irene didn’t mind. While Wendy was throwing her anger at Irene, the latter just keeps quiet while hugging the enraged hamster.

 

“Wendy I-I’m sorry. I really am.” Irene says after a few minutes of getting punched.

 

“I ing hate you.” Wendy cries harder, and finally stop punching the poor girl. She just let her tears flow and let Irene hug her as if it’s her last chance to do so.

 

Oh, how she misses Irene’s warm hug.

 

“I love you, Wan. I still do. Please give me one more chance, I swear to god that I’ll make this right, I swear to god that I’ll never ever ever gonna cheat on you again. I swear to god to love you with all my heart. You the only person that could make my life happier than ever before. Without you, I don’t even know how to live properly. Eversince you left, I cut connections with all people. I broke up with Bogum and I can’t even sleep properly without you beside me.” Irene tries to hold back her tears as she rants about her life without Wendy.

 

“Joohyun stop.”

 

And there it is again, the cold Wendy that Irene once knew.

 

“Wan-ah, please-“

 

“Stop…” Wendy sounds broken. Really broken. Irene is sobbing because she knows the reason why Wendy is broken is because of her and her all along. “I- you-…” Wendy didn’t know what to say. She takes a deep breath to compose herself before continuing. “You know how much I love you but… you still broke my heart by choosing someone else. You cheating is not an accident, it is an option. You know that cheating is wrong but you still do it anyway. T-the moment I found out about Bogum and you, the moment I caught you guys kissing in your room, that’s the moment I lost all my trust in you.”

 

Wendy is starting to cry again, her eyes are goddamn puffy and Irene is more than broken after hearing what’s actually inside Wendy’s heart.

 

“W-Wendy i-if there’s anything that I can do to make you trust me again-“

 

“Give me time, Joohyun. Give me time to heal so that I can trust you again.” Wendy gives Irene a sad smile, the smile which made Irene hate herself for what she had done couple of months ago.

 

Wendy releases herself away from Irene’s hug and walks away from the girl.

 


 

Isn’t Irene supposed to be happy? Wendy is probably giving her another chance. Isn’t that great? If that’s great, then why is Irene crying alone in her room? Is she crying of happiness? Or is she crying because maybe the time when Wendy is fully healed, she already belongs to someone else? Maybe Seulgi helps Wendy in her healing? Maybe at the end, Wendy belongs to Seulgi?

 

Irene shrugs her negative feelings away and continue sobbing. If Wendy need time to heal, then Irene will give her all the time and space she needs to heal.

 

And Irene secretly hopes that Wendy wouldn’t fall for anyone else, especially Seulgi. Call her selfish, but she just loves the girl too much.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Don't worry this is not the end hehe... since this story is too long so i decided to split it into few chapters ^^ but idk when will i update tho since i'm going back to my dorm tomorrow (which i hate the most. Wanna know why? read my rants on twitter then hahahaha)

 

Btw, pls do comment bcs you know how comments will make me happy hehehe and dont forget to subscribe so that you'll get noti when i posted the next chapter(s). Also, upvote if you enjoy this story xoxo

 

That's all from me. Byeee! *peace out*

 

ps: follow me @ twitter @quivernoldsaff heheheheh