Pretty

The Stories They Tell

It’s a Tuesday. Wonshik has a class in 45 minutes and not one minute to spare because when Wonshik doesn’t feel like going to class, which was every day, he moves a lot slower. After his alarm goes off, he lays in bed for another fifteen minutes before even moving. He almost falls asleep again, but there’s a bang from the floor above him that makes him jolt from under the covers. He rubs his eyes and begins the same routine he’d lived for years now.

By the time Wonshik got out the door, he had exactly fourteen minutes to get to class. He was much more awake now but that didn’t stop the euphoric feeling as he looked back at his bed, all soft and inviting. He groaned as he pulled the door shut behind him and started his walk to the humanities building.

It wasn’t far from the dorm building but no one questioned him as he raced through crowds of people standing around or making their own way to class. He made it with only a minute to spare. He glanced over his shoulder and could see down the corridor into the office sweet, that his professor hadn’t even made his way to the room yet.

Class seemed to lag and it was only made worse by the content of that day’s lesson plan. Two hours later when class was over, Hakyeon found Wonshik sitting at his desk with his head hidden by his arms. Hakyeon still hadn’t told him what had happened at the club and he had tried his best to act like nothing happened, but Wonshik knew him and he noticed when something was wrong. But still, Hakyeon hadn’t said anything, so neither would Wonshik.

“Hey.” Hakyeon tapped Wonshik’s shoulder.

“Class is over. Come get lunch with me.”

“I don’t want to.” He grumbled into his arm.

“Please?” Hakyeon asked quietly. Wonshik lifted his head and eyed him. He searched Hakyeon’s face for some ulterior motive, but Hakyeon just looked back at him, tired. Wonshik hesitated a moment but agreed.

“Where do you want to go?” He asked as he stood and pulled his backpack over his shoulder.

“I didn’t have anything in mind. You pick this time.” Hakyeon shrugged.

“How about the café over by the bookstore? You like their scones and I need a coffee.”

“Whatever you want to do.” Hakyeon sighed as they made their way out the door.

Their walk was silent other than the chatter of other students on campus and the sound of birds flying overhead. The weather was starting to change as fall drew closer. The green leaves of the trees were just beginning their seasonal shift to bright oranges and yellows. There wasn’t a chill in the air just yet, but the campus was filled with an electric kind of energy as the crisp smell of the season gusted through the maze of buildings.

In the middle of campus was a courtyard where Wonshik normally only passed through when he had to in instances such as these, where he and Hakyeon were going to the café. Hakyeon always gagged at the couples that huddled around the large fountain in the middle of the courtyard. Wonshik always laughed because he knew Hakyeon would kill to be in their position. Preferably with a certain Tegumi back in the dorms.

Hakyeon didn’t say a thing as they got closer to the café and Wonshik was worried, sure. But it took time with Hakyeon. He wore his heart on his sleeve but he needed time to reflect before he said anything about how he felt.

“Ravi!” a voice yelled to their left, pulling Wonshik from his thoughts.

Looking up, Wonshik was greeted with a smirk and shining eyes. The sun filtering through the trees gleamed off of the silver ball above the man’s left eyebrow. Wonshik immediately recognized him.

“Jaehwan.” He called, stopping and turning slightly towards him. He felt Hakyeon pause beside him.

“Are you a student here too?” Wonshik asked as he stepped closer to the pair. The lighting in the club had left him blind to the small details that now seemed so blatant and in his face. Not only was Jaehwan’s eyebrow pierced, there were studs and bars lining both of his ears from tip to lobe. And with the shirt Jaehwan was wearing, he could see a small sliver of black ink on his chest. Looking back up at Jaehwan’s eyes, he could tell he had been caught analyzing what Jaehwan looked like in natural light. He felt his cheeks begin to heat slightly and coughed before looking over at Hakyeon who was just staring at him.

“No. I’m not a student. I just came to see someone. How lucky I ran into you.” He said cheerfully.

When Wonshik didn’t say anything, Hakyeon elbowed him in the side.

“Oh, right. Jaehwan, this is my best friend Hakyeon. You saw him briefly at the club the other day.” He felt Hakyeon tense at the mention of the club and made a mental note to buy him an extra scone later.

“Ah, yes. The one that came and pulled you away before we could get to know each other.” Jaehwan said as he stuffed his hands in his pocket. Before they disappeared, Wonshik noticed his fingers were covered in ink as well.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Jaehwan said, smiling over at Hakyeon. Wonshik watched Hakyeon try to compose himself.

“Yeah, nice to meet you too. Sorry I pulled him away so suddenly. I’m sure you guys were getting along quite well.”

Jaehwan laughed.

“I guess you could say that. We hadn’t really talked much yet.” Jaehwan looked back at Wonshik and Wonshik was at a loss for words until he remembered something.

“Oh yeah. I owe you, don’t I? For the drink?”

Jaehwan hummed.

Wonshik considered something for a moment before speaking again.

“Well uh, do you want to come with us to the café?” He asked before realizing he should have asked Hakyeon too. Being in a mood, Hakyeon probably didn’t want to be around too many people he didn’t feel comfortable with.

“That is, if it’s okay with you?” He watched as Hakyeon stared back at him, his eyes searching for some kind of message, before he spoke.

“Sure. I don’t mind. My next class starts soon anyway.” Hakyeon shrugged and turned to walk off towards the café. Wonshik watched him for a moment before turning back to Jaehwan.

“Only if you want to. I could buy you whatever you want.” Wonshik offered.

“I said you could repay me one day. I didn’t know one day would mean the following week.”

“I got lucky I guess.” Wonshik smiled. Jaehwan seemed to like his response.

“Okay then, Ravi. Lead on.” He gestured in the direction Hakyeon had walked off in.

“So,” Jaehwan asked after a quiet moment.

“Is your friend dealing with trouble in paradise? He looks like he could sleep for the next ten years and the way he drug you off the other day, something seemed to have happened. Not that it’s any of my business.”

They had fallen into step with each other, café in sight.

“Well, yes and no. The guy he likes doesn’t know he likes him and he refuses to tell him. Whatever happened at the club put him in this mood. He won’t tell me and I’m not going to ask. He might main me.”

Jaehwan hummed.

“Poor thing. It’s always the pure ones that hurt the most.” Jaehwan said. Before Wonshik could ask what he meant, they had made it to the café and Jaehwan was pulling the door open for him.

“Thank you.” He mumbled as he passed over the threshold.

They ordered and Wonshik turned to search for Hakyeon. Hakyeon noticed him and waved his arm to grab his attention. Wonshik shot him a thumbs up and turned back towards the counter.

Wonshik paid for his coffee and Jaehwan’s muffin and they made their way to the table.

“So, how long have you two known each other?” Jaehwan asked as they sat, Wonshik settling into the booth across from Hakyeon and Jaehwan sliding next to him.

“Well, we met on move-in day during our freshman year so, four years ago? Five?”

Hakyeon kicked him under the table.

“I can’t believe you don’t even know how long you’ve known your own best friend.” He chided.

“You know I can barely remember my own birthday.” He hissed as he rubbed his shin.

Jaehwan watched their banter for a while, asking questions here and there before Hakyeon finished his scone and made to get up.

“My class is across campus and starts in 20 minutes. I’ve got to go.” He smiled at Jaehwan.

“It really was nice meeting you. If this one causes you any trouble, find me and let me know.” He gestured to Wonshik.

Wonshik stuck his tongue out at him and Hakyeon returned the gesture. Jaehwan shook his head, smile still on his face.

“Text me if you need me.” Wonshik called and Hakyeon waved over his shoulder.

“Okay, mom.” He hollered behind him.

When Hakyeon stepped through the door, out into the sunlight, Jaehwan moved to the other side of the table so that he sat facing Wonshik.

“Was your muffin good?” he asked.

“I think the company was better.” Jaehwan winked. Wonshik looked down at the cup between his hands, feeling flustered.

“You’re cute. You blush at just about everything.” Wonshik’s head snapped up.

“I what?”

Jaehwan laughed.

“You do. You blush when you’re flustered. It’s cute.” Jaehwan shrugged.

“Uh, thanks.” He said as he picked at the lid on top of his cappuccino.

Trying to divert the conversation from himself, Wonshik said the first thing that came to mind.

“Your hands.” He said, Jaehwan looked at him, clearly puzzled.

“What about them?” he asked as he held one out to examine.

“Your tattoos. I meant, your tattoos. What do they mean? If you don’t mind me asking, of course.”

Jaehwan smiled at him and looked like he was thinking about something before he answered.

“Well you see, this one here,” he pointed to an arrow tattooed on the outside of his index finger.

“I got this one when I was in Scotland.” He eyed Wonshik, hand still stretched in front of him.

“I got into a fight with some guys after they stole my friend’s bike and to get the bike back, I had to win against one of them in an arrow shooting contest. We played at least twenty rounds. The guy was pretty good. I got this tattoo to remember it.” Jaehwan stared at it like it held all the answers to the universe.

“Did you win?” Wonshik asked, wide eyed.

Jaehwan laughed at his response.

“Yeah. I won.” He said between laughs.

“That’s crazy. And so cool! I’ve never been out of the country.” Wonshik watched as Jaehwan played with a ring on his right middle finger.

“I travel a lot. Part of my job.”

“Oh yeah? What is it that you do?” Wonshik asked and Jaehwan’s earlier smile softened.

“I work in a network that pushes products in lot of different areas. Sometimes in the city limits, sometimes across the country.” Jaehwan shrugged as he looked out of the window behind Wonshik’s head. He seemed to see something as Wonshik noticed he began frowning.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, making to turn and see what was happening outside.

“Don’t turn around!” Jaehwan hollered, earning a few stares as the tables nearby stopped their conversations to gawk at them.

Wonshik sat frozen in the booth. He saw Jaehwan look over his shoulder again and nod slightly before turning his attention back to Wonshik.

“I have to go now. The friend I was meeting seems to need to talk again. Thanks for the muffin. Tell Hakyeon again that it was nice meeting him. I’ll see you later.” Jaehwan rushed as he scooted to the end of the booth to hop out.

“Wait!”

Jaehwan paused, turning to meet Wonshik’s gaze.

“Uhm, could I have your number? We could meet up again sometime?” He asked, heart still racing a little from Jaehwan startling him a moment ago.

Jaehwan gave him one more smile, this time looking a little sad.

“I can’t. Not right now. But I’ll see you around.”

“Right. Yeah. Okay. See ya.” He muttered as Jaehwan stood.

“Hey, Ravi?” He said.

“Yeah?”

“Whatever you do, do not look out that window for a few minutes, okay? My friend gets a little jealous when I’m around other people. If he sees your pretty face, he might try to bash it in. All right?” And with that, Jaehwan took off, leaving Wonshik confused and more than a little terrified at the prospect of getting his face bashed in.

It wasn’t until he was laying on Hakyeon’s bed later that night, relaying what had happened after he left, that he realized Jaehwan had called him pretty.


"Tegumi" is a traditional Okinawan form of wrestling. Yes, I'm keeping the running joke of Taekwoon's name being mispronounced as different types of martial arts.

Surprise!

My gift for not updating for almost a month, two updates in less than 24 hours!

I sat down and forced myself to write this so I am not as satisfied with it as I am with the first couple chapters.

I hope you enjoy and PLEASE leave feedback. I really want to give you guys quality content and I can't do that if you guys don't tell me what needs working on.

By the way, what'd you guy think of Leo & Ravi's song, "Whisper?"