A hug...?

니가 제일 싫어 I hate you the most

For the past few days, Junhyung has been visiting Hyunseung at the hospital, updating him on the latest homework and just engaging in coversation. Things that they never did when they were in elementary to middle school. It was new to them -- this friendship. But at least there are smiles being shared instead of punches being thrown.

Junhyung sits on a chair beside Hyunseung's bed. Hyunseung was staying in a shared 4-bed room. A TV stationed right at the corner nearest Hyunseung. No other patients were in except for the two young men.

"Did you watch yesterday's MuBank*?" Hyunseung asks.

 "No, I didn't. Why?" 

"The TV in this room isn't working and I wasn't able to catch the show. I heard a new girl group from CUBE debuted yesterday"

"What's the name?"

"A-- A-something. I forgot. I heard they're cute."

Cute? Junhyung had a sudden realization. Hyunseung is not gay. Junhyung didn't ever admit to being gay himself. He's just in love with Hyunseung. It wasn't as though his body reacted towards men... his heart reacted towards Jang Hyunseung and only him. There was no explanation for it. But hearing that Hyunseung liked girls, went out with girls, dated girls - Junhyung's heart sank deep. No chance of his feelings being recipocated was gonna come to him.

"Did the doctor tell you when you'd be released from the hospital?" Junhyung tries to avert Hyunseung's attention from the former.

"He said that by Monday I can go back to class."

"That's good."

"Yeah..." Hyunseung's tone isn't as cheery as Junhyung expects.

"What's wrong?"

"The doctor told me that I'd have to refrain from dancing. It ! Dancing is what I love to do. Plus, we have our practical music project presntation coming up at the end of the semester. Who knows how long it'll take before I can actually use my feet?" Hyunseung is downcasted.

Junhyung thinks for a moment. There is one other person who knows how to dance. "What if I dance?"

Hyunseung looks up, wide-eyed. "What?" 

Junhyung shrugs his shoulders, "I mean... if you can't do it, I'll have to step in anyways." trying to sound as distached from the fact that he wants to do it to get Hyunseung's attention. Hyunseung beams with excitement and unconsciously pulls Junhyung for a hug. The latter is in a panic. This is their first close contact. Junhyung's sweating beads and his heart's racing. 

Hyunseung realizes his action and breaks the hug, dazed and stupefied. What did I just do? A hug...? I have to think of a way to explain--

"I remembered. I-I have to be somewhere. Get better, Hyunseung," and Junhyung's out the door like wildfire.

When Junhyung was out the door, Hyunseung plants his hands on his head and tugs on his hair, "Jang Hyunseung, a hug? You give your guy friend a hug?! Idiot!" He didn't know how to explain it. The moment Junhyung said he'd dance, Hyunseung brought himself back to their middle school days when the two battled it out in the streets with their dancing skills. If there is one thing Hyunseung actually liked about Junhyung during their school days is that he's an awesome dancer. It's undeniable.

Get it together. You just like his dancing. Yeah. Just tell Junhyung you're a fan. That'll explain the hug. 

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

"A hug?"

"Yes, Doo, he hugged me." Junhyung is mixed with uncontained joy and bewilderment.

"I can't explain this friendship you guys have going on here," Doojoon says as he motions his hand in a circle, "His hug probably means nothing."

"You think so?" Junhyung is disppointed.

Doojoon shrugs, "It's either he likes you or is just happy about you choosing to do something he can't. I vote for the second hypothesis."

Junhyung sighs, "You're right. I'm reading too much into it."

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Monday.

Hyunseung asks Junhyung to meet up with him at the practice room. Both of them are nervous.

Junhyung enters the room and sees Hyunseung sitting on a chair with his leg stretched out. His ankle still wrapped in a bandage. The latter is staring at it, a lot going through his mind. Junhyung sees a crutch leaning on the wall.

"Hey, Yong Junhyung!" Hyunseung greets cheerfully.

Junhyung smiles and waves his hand.

"Can you walk properly?"

'Yeah, I can. I just need to be careful."

"Okay then."

Awkward silence. It's now or never for the two.

"Hey listen, I--" "Hey about yest--" the two say at the same time.

"You first," Hyunseung insists.

"No, you. It's okay. Go ahead."

Hyunseung bites his lip. He starts, "The hug yesterday... did it make you feel uncomfortable?"

"...Uh..." unsure on how to respond.

"...okay, I'll just explain. I did it because I like you."

Junhyung's ears start hearing things, thinking he had heard 'I like you'. "Excuse me?"

"You're a really cool dude, Junhyung--" the word 'dude' and Junhyung already knows where the conversation is leading up to. "I've always admired your dancing and I guess you choosing to dance brought me back to our middle school days. How cool you are when dancing, even though I hated your guts that time. So... I hope we're still friends."

Junhyung takes it all in. It's true. Hyunseung is never going to like him more than just a friend and Junhyung has to accept it.

"We're friends."

The two shake each other's hands as a sign of their mutual understanding.

"How about you help me up and we can talk about the choreography you're gonna do," Hyunseung has his arm out, waiting for Junhyung to take it and help him. Hyunseung grabs the crutch and tucks it under his armpit, to balance himself. Junhyung has his arm around Hyunseungs waist and the two set off to probably grab a bite to eat before their classes start. 

Junhyung being so close to Hyunseung and yet so far. How long can his heart handle the pressure?

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

MuBank - Music Bank, a music show on the Korean channel KBS

I'm sorry this took so long! ;_; I have no other excuse except that I'm a very lazy writer with lots of passion but little action. Hehe;; I'll be on hiatus for 2 weeks because I'll be going to Japan! Not for vacation but for an International Seminar at Fukuoka University. I'm excited, also nervous. So I hope you don't mind waiting. I'm sorry you'll have to wait again D: Bad author is bad.

NOTE: The tense form for the story has been changed from past/past-progressive to present/present-progressive. If I use past, it's like I'm telling the story. I want you guys to immerse yourself in the story, not read it from the outside. ^^~ I hope the feel changes :>