A Start

니가 제일 싫어 I hate you the most

Doojoon knocked on the door and opened it, stepping inside his best friend's dorm room. He saw Junhyung lying down on his bed with a pillow over his head.

"You called me, Junhyung-ah? You sounded like you were troubled over the phone."

Junhyung pointed at the chair, telling Doojoon to sit down. Once Doojoon sat on the chair, Junhyung removed the pillow from his head and sat upright. He was distraught, Doojoon could see and feel it.

"Junhyung-ah, is something wrong? Tell me, man."

"I'm afraid that if I tell you, you'll hate me or something."

Doojoon chuckled and placed his hand on Junhyung's shoulder for comfort, "You've been my best friend since we were kids. I'll always be here for you. So, tell me what's on your mind."

Junhyung inhaled and exhaled calmly before confessing what he's been hiding from his best friend since they were in middle school.

"I'm in love with Hyunseung," Junhyung covered his own face with his hands so he wouldn't be able to see Doojoon's reaction, whether it be disgust or not. Junhyung thought of the worst case scenario -- after his confession, Doojoon would be weired out and stop being friends with him. Junhyung was prepared to hear words like 'you homo' or 'freak! I don't want to be friends with you!' ... and every other possible outcome there could be. Junhyung was waiting for the yelling but as he looked at Doojoon, the latter was quite cool with the situation.

"I had a feeling you like him," Doojoon smirked.

"What? You knew? How? When?!"

"When we were in our first year of middle school, I guess? You and Hyunseung were total enemies but there was passion in your hatred which I couldn't understand. I thought it was because you liked him, which I don't mind, but I guess I never mentioned it because it was useless."

"Wow... so... you're not repulsed by me?"

"What? Of course, not! You're my best friend!"

Junhyung let out a sigh of relief and a smile. There was at least one person in his life that knew his secret.

"Why did you feel like telling me now?" Doojoon asked.

"It's because I have a dilemma..."

"A dilemma?"

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

"You're a friggin' idiot, Yong Junhyung."

"Yah! Don't call me an idiot!" Junhyung punched Doojoon on the arm for the insult.

"You really think that acting cold and mean will get you anywhere with Jang Hyunseung? You're dead wrong, my friend."

"He's the reason I left Dongdaemun 6 years ago, you know!"

"It's because you were too chicken to face your feelings, you . What makes you think that pushing Hyunseung away will make you feel any better?"

Junhyung was about to retaliate when he realized his best friend was right. He was right about everything. Junhyung leaving 6 years ago was because of fear -- fear of rejection, ridicule and abandonment by peers. Being in love with the same was looked down on by society. Junhyung could take society but couldn't take it if he was looked down on by Hyunseung, the one he'
s loved since he could remember.

"Junhyung-ah, you said that Hyunseung was trying his best to be friendly. Why did you push him away? He's probably trying to make up for all the bad times you had with him."

"Doojoon-ah... you don't understand... every time I'm near him, my heart feels like it's about to explode. Because we're seated next to each other, I'm constantly trying to calm my nerves while I seem like nothing is wrong. I thought I could fall out of love with him after 6 years of being away from him but seeing him again, the feelings came back in a flash. Even when he touches me..." Junhyung then remembered the incident a week earlier where Hyunseung grabbed his shoulder, his heart couldn't take it.

"Okay, okay, I get it. You can't stand to be near him because you like him too much. But you need to realize that you can't keep running away. You're in the same college. You're bound to be classmates with him. What then? Will you run away and keep avoiding him?"

"Err... If you put it like that..."

Doojoon sat beside his best friend and put his arm around his shoulder, "Listen closely. Do you want to stay afraid?"

"No..."

"Do you want to stop the heart ache?"

"Yeah..."

"All you need to do is be friends with him and confess!"

"What?!" Junhyung scooted away from Doojoon in appal, "There's no way I'm gonna do that!"

"The only reason you have the fear is because you don't know how Hyunseung feels about you."

"The chances of him even liking me the tiniest bit is a million to one, Doojoon-ah."

"Which is why being friends first is the better option. Once you're friends and you put your old rivalry aside, confessing will be the next step. At least you were able to form a better relationship with him before confessing. If worst comes to worst and he doesn't like you back, you can finally move on!"

Junhyung sighed. Was this his only shot at facing his fear of rejection? It seemed to be. Junhyung had to admit that Doojoon's plan was logical and it was the only plan so far. Junhyung had no other option. His goal was to be friends with Hyunseung.

Here's hoping it would turn out well --

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Junhyung arrived in practical music class and Hyunseung wasn't on his seat yet. The former was still mentally preparing himself as the plan to become friends with Hyunseung was closing in. What was going to be his approach? Casually asking Hyunseung how his week had been? No, that would too weird.What abut striking a conversation about last night's news? No, that would be lame. Junhyung face-palmed himself. He was going to fail at this for sure. As his eyes were looking down on his desk, a hand slipped a ticket under his elbow. Junhyung looked up and Hyunseung had sat down beside him.

Junhyung looked at the ticket and written on it was 'B-Boy and Ballerina: Two Worlds'. Junhyung was a fan of the b-boy and ballerina dance shows. He looked at Hyunseung and wondered why he gave him the ticket.

"I pulled a few strings and was able to get the best seats in the house," Hyunseung started. He faced Junhyung and said, "I know you hate me and don't want anything to do with me but I know for a fact you like dancing. Sorry if I assume you like B-Boy and Ballerina but it's one of the most awesome shows in Korea... I hope you like it, too."

Junhyung simply nodded, "Yeah, I like 'em."

"Really? That's a relief! The show is this saturday. This is me being friendly... I know you don't want me to be nice but--"

"I take back what I said."


Hyunseung's eyes widened, "What?"

"Me intending to not be friendly and me not wanting you to contact me and be nice. I take it all back."

"You do?"

"I want to start over. I'm sorry for what I said at the rooftop."

"It's no problem. So, you free this saturday, right?"

"I'm free."

"Good," Hyunseung held out his hand for a handshake, "Truce?"

Junhyung took offered hand and shook it, "Truce."

Junhyung's heart was still out of control. He amazed himself for not making himself look foolish while talking to Hyunseung. But their truce finally arrived. Not everything in their past has been resolved but it was a start.

 ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Here's another chapter I finished up! There were comments asking why Junhyung was acting so mean... I wanted to justify his actions and clear the air in this chapter. Although it looks like they're starting a friendship now, the drama will come. IT WILL COME. Ahohoho.

^o^