Hana-what-ki?

Hana-what-ki?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoongi was well aware that to some people, his hobby might be a little weird.

 

(He was also well aware that to most people, his hobby was a lot weird. And that possibly, perhaps, just maybe, his hobby was more an obsession...)

 

Reading fanfiction in and of itself is not that uncommon these days. After all, the internet makes it very easy to find all the fanfiction your heart could crave, almost regardless of what kind of fanfiction you are into. The weird part was not so much in the fact that he read fanfiction, it was in the fact that he read fanfiction about himself and his band mates.

 

“Oh god, who died now?” Namjoon asked immediately, eyes rolling when he entered their studio again and saw the state his best friend was in. The smell of the takeout he had brought with him filled the air of the room quickly, making Yoongi’s stomach growl loudly.

 

“Jiminnie,” Yoongi replied, sniffling with all the quiet of a snoring bear and trying to rub the tears off his cheeks.

 

“I was only gone half an hour, how could someone kill him off in such a short time?” Namjoon asked, a hint of impatience in his tone. It wasn’t the first time this week he had found Yoongi in a similar state. He sighed and shook his head. “So, what killed him this time?”

 

“You did! He was so in love with you that he caught the hanahaki disease and even though you knew it, you didn’t love him back... He died because he refused the surgery, he was unwilling to give up his love for you,” Yoongi told him, reaching for one of the takeout boxes. His voice was still suspiciously choked up and not even a second later there was another loud sniffle. “It was so beautiful but also so heart breaking. You had your eyes set on Seokjin, because of course you had, so you couldn’t return his feelings and he died in your arms, suffocated by the petals.”

 

Namjoon levelled him with a very unimpressed look when a fresh round of tears started spilling from the older’s eyes. “Forgive me, but I fail to see how dying from vomiting flowers is any kind of beautiful,” he commented dryly.

 

“That’s because you won’t give the stories a chance! It really was beautiful, Namjoon. Heartbreaking and sad and oh God...” he choked, shielding his eyes with a hand when the emotions overcame him again.

 

Namjoon rolled his eyes again and opened his own box to start eating; the conversation about whether or not Namjoon should give fanfiction a chance was one he had had with Yoongi more times than he could count and he really couldn’t be bothered to go through it again.

 

It took a full minute before Yoongi regained his composure and looked up again, inhaling deeply and fanning his read face with his hands. “Some of our fans are really skilled writers.”

 

Namjoon just hummed, not looking to start a discussion or, even worse, somehow prompt Yoongi to give him yet another list of recommended stories he thought Namjoon absolutely needed to read.

 

*
 

One of the things that amused Yoongi the most when reading fanfiction was the characterisation of his band mates. Some stories created complex, developed personalities for each member while some were mere caricatures of them, one-dimensional representations of a few aspects of their personalities. Namjoon was not as socially clueless as many people made him out to be, nor was he such a pushover as a leader. In fact, they all saw daily proof of why Namjoon was the leader; he did a damn good job keeping track of all of them and taking care of all of them in his own way. Taehyung was indeed quirky, but his quirkiness was usually turned up when cameras were around. Jimin was the flower boy he was so often made out to be, but he had several layers beneath that, layers that most people forgot to look for because they were so enamoured by the flower boy on top. Hoseok was for the most time the ball of sunshine he was always described as, however not even the worst thunderstorm stood a chance against his anger when his mood turned sour for whatever reason.

 

Yoongi supposed he liked reading fanfiction because most of them gave him a feeling of I know these people better than you. It was petty, but endlessly satisfying.

 

*

 

“What is it this time?” Namjoon asked in exasperation when Yoongi peeked down at his phone once again, his screen full of text which indicated he was reading a story he apparently couldn’t let go of, even when they were supposed to be finishing this damn song.

 

Yoongi looked up, eyes wide like he had been caught red-handed (which he had). He coughed and cleared his throat before replying, “Uhm... It’s about me and Hoseok and Taehyung. I love Hoseok, he loves Taehyung, Taehyung loves me and we all have the hanahaki disease. I think I am very close to dying!” he hurriedly added, as if that was explanation enough for his inability to turn the phone off and focus on their work.

 

“If it’s another flower puking story, then yes, you are most likely dying. Don’t we always die when we catch that damn disease?” Namjoon asked, fighting the urge to plant his face on the desk, hard.

 

“Well, yes, but I want to see if they send me off nicely. I swear, I will find the author and kick them if they kill me off and then have Taehyung reciprocate Hoseok’s feelings just so they can get a happy ending without me! That would be so ing unfair!”

 

Namjoon just looked at him for several long seconds like he couldn’t believe this idiot was his best friend. “You are such a ing dweeb. Ten minutes, that’s all you get. I’m leaving, I don’t want to see your face when you cry, it’s ugly.”

 

“You are the best friend ever!” Yoongi called after him, going right back to his story before the door had even closed behind Namjoon.

 

When Namjoon came back ten minutes later with a cup of coffee, he was slightly surprised to see Yoongi’s angry pout. “So? Did you get killed while Hobi and Taehyung lived happily ever after?”

 

“No!” Yoongi replied angrily, earning him a raised eyebrow from Namjoon. “We all fell in love with each other and no one died! Seriously, how can that be a hanahaki story? People are supposed to die in them!”

 

“You know, I am starting to get a little worried about your desire to read about your band mates’ deaths. You’ve been on the flower shower wave for so long now, you’d usually have moved on to your next kink by now.”

 

“This isn’t a kink, Namjoon,” Yoongi huffed with a scowl. “This isn’t like tentacle or a plug obsession or werewolves! Okay, maybe it’s a little like werewolves, there are some seriously great werewolf stories out there... But it’s not a kink! It’s a concept and it invites to great poetic expression! Kinks are usually stories, you know, in hole, in and out, all over, happy cuddling. Throw in a or tentacles or two ,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter