Final

playing to the base
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Jaemin, wake up!"

 

Jaemin opened his eyes, slowly looking up to see Jisung standing in front of him. Jisung was one of the former freshmen he used to guide last year when he was part of NCT Leadership, but not anymore since he got kicked out. Although Jisung was 2 years younger, his voice was something else. It surprises everyone. "Sup?"

 

"Class is over. You've been sleeping in here for awhile now."

 

Jaemin suddenly looked up to check on the clock. It was past 2:30 in the afternoon and he had baseball practice. Baseball practice. "Oh ! I'm late. I need to go right now." Jaemin quickly got up and grabbed his duffle bag from the ground. "Thank you for waking me up Jisung," he said, running out of the library. He had ditched 4th and 5th period to sleep in the library because he had spent his night playing league and a little bit of overwatch. He's a gamer so nothing can hold him back from spending hours on his desktop unless he had to deal with baseball, which was supposed to be his first priority, but it's really not.

 

He couldn't believe he was late again and he was a starter for his team.

 

He hurriedly changed out of his clothes and put on his practice uniform. They all had a different set of uniform when they play during real games. Practice started at 2 sharp every single day and looking back at his phone, he was 40 minutes late. He bit his lips as he ran to the baseball field, carrying his water jug and putting on his hat. He was so busted.

 

"Jaemin! What happened?" His coach yelled once he made it to the field.

 

"Sleeping again?" Jeno asked, after catching the ball that was thrown at him. Jeno is the team captain and Jaemin could never really care for that. They aren't really friends, but it didn't really matter because he could beat his anytime on the field. Everyone knew Jaemin was the best player on the team.

 

"Na Jaemin, you have got to stop being late. We need you because you're one the starters for this season. You can't keep being late every other day."

 

"I know," Jaemin said. "I won't be late anymore."

 

"You said that last time. Now go run two laps," his coach ordered. "We'll talk later." He looked at everyone on the team. "Come on guys, back to practice."

 

 

 

It was 5 when practice ended and Jaemin had to stay back to practice some more since he was late. Which tends to happen like all the time. His coach made him hit 10 homeruns, running from each base until he ended up back home. Afterwards, he had to do 6 set of leg exercises and 40 push ups. It wasn't as intense as his previous ones, but he was never the one to complain about how hard it was.

 

"You know Jaemin, you need to stop slacking off. We need you just as much as we need Jeno. You two are what makes the team."

 

Jaemin wiped off his sweat, looking up at his coach from the ground. He was done with his push ups so he sat down on the grass. His arm was becoming sore again. "We aren't what makes the team, coach. The team is what makes us."

 

"Then why is it that the team makes you, but you can't make the team? The reason is your lack of responsibilities as a teammate. Your team has to work harder just because you're not here, yet they still it up. Why can't you be a good teammate and actually pay your duties? They aren't going to do it for you."

 

Jaemin continued to listen to what his coach says without interrupting. 

 

"Jeno's role was to keep you on track, but you don't give a damn about this. If you don't want to keep playing, then tell us. Tell the team."

 

"Coach Hwang, I do still want to play. I'm sorry for slacking off and I will work harder." His intention was to never quit baseball. He grew up with baseball as his main sport and he couldn't possibly just quit. His parents would kill him if he ever quit or even got kicked off the team.

 

"Jaemin, you are irresponsible and you should know your duties just a like everyone else, you just choose not to and spend your time doing who knows what. Right now, I want you to keep on track and I will have Jeno make sure you are and that means you are to listen to what he says."

 

Jaemin sighed, shifting his weight to his left side. He really didn't need Jeno to keep him on track. He was the least of his worries. After coach finished scolding him, he went back to the lockers to change, but Jeno was there. Everyone else had finished changing and left. Jeno threw him the towel, hair wet and roses everywhere. That was his shampoo smell and he scrunched his face. Jeno was using his stuff again.

 

"Stop using my stuff Jeno," he said, opening his locker to get his things. "How did you even get my combination?"

 

"Well, come on, you're my teammate and I pretty much know everything about you."

 

Jaemin made a face at him. "Oh right. After what 4 years of being on the same team?" He quickly changed and grabbed his stuff. "Next time, when you want to borrow my things, tell me."

 

Jeno and he have known each other for years and they are in fact neighbors too, but they really don't get along well. Jaemin had never liked Jeno as a friend or anything more, but they are teammates so he had to it up. For four years. Being teammates wasn't the bad part, but it was the fact that they sometimes can't stand each other and Jeno was snob. The biggest player and jerk in school. Well at least that's what he thinks. They're sometimes always at each other’s throats during practice.

 

"I don't even know you like roses smell. It's really girly."

 

"Shut up. Don't use it then."

 

Jeno opened up his locker. "You know, you can't game today," Jeno said, putting on his shirt.

 

Jaemin glanced at him after he finished putting his stuff in the duffel bag. "I can game if I want. You really can't tell me what to do no matter what coach says."

 

Jeno turned to him. "I know all you do is league all night and Skype with your not-so boyfriend in America."

 

Jaemin was already out the door, not wanting to hear what Jeno says. "Whatever. I'm leaving."

 

 

 

 

Jaemin did in fact play league again that night. He wasn't planning to because he had some homework to do, but who could say no to gaming? Not him. He's totally gonna regret this later.

 

", I almost died," he yelled into his mic. "We are so gonna lose."

 

"Don't worry, I got you," Chenle said on the other side. They were skyping again. They always Skype when playing league; it was their thing. 

 

There was a knock on his window and Jaemin glanced at it to see Jeno. He wondered why the hell he was there. He tried to ignore to him, but Jeno was already opening the window. He cursed himself for not locking his windows.

 

"Get out Jeno," he said, without looking up. "I need to win this game."

 

Jeno suddenly unplugged his desktop. Jaemin froze, staring at the screen. "Jeno, what did you do?"

 

"League are for losers Nana."

 

Jaemin got up, looking at him, annoyed. "What do you want?" He couldn't believe he came into his room and did that. “Why are you even in my room?"

 

"We have practice tomorrow and a game this week. You need to be prepared."

 

Jaemin rolled his eyes at him, leaning down to plug in the wire. "I am prepared. If you haven't noticed from the years of being with me, I am the team's golden ace. There is no way we will lose. Besides, it's just Astro High School. We beat them all the time." Jaemin sat back down once his desktop was on.

 

"Coach told me to keep an eye on you since you keep slacking off."

 

"I'm not slacking off." Total lie but whatever. Jaemin's eyes was focused on his desktop screen. Jeno walked behind him, leaning his head over his shoulder. Jaemin was typing in his password for the desktop.

 

"Seriously? You used Johnny's birthdate?"

 

Jaemin looked up at him, unaware of how close they were. "What are you still doing here? Don't you have better things to do?"

 

"Not really. My focus is on you."

 

"Get out Jeno."

 

Jeno's eyes suddenly wondered towards Jaemin's closet and he quickly walked over. There was a poster hanging on the side. "What's this? Were you planning on asking someone to the dance-" Jeno was about to open it, but Jaemin reached for it.

 

"Wait, don't-"

 

"Ow."

 

Jaemin fell on top of Jeno and bumped his head against his chin. They looked at each other for a few seconds before grabbing onto the poster. Jaemin successfully yanked it away after a few tries. There was no way Jeno was peeking at it.

 

"Seriously, Jaemin, just let me see it."

 

"No way," Jaemin said, standing up. "Over my dead body."

 

"Why are you so secretive?"

 

Jaemin rolled his eyes. He quickly pushed Jeno towards the window. "I need to game right now. You should leave."

 

"If you're late tomorrow, you're doing 100 push ups and 10 laps around the field."

 

"Whatever." He closed the window and went back to his desktop when he could no longer hear the tree branches. There was a tree between their houses that they climb to get to each other's place. Jaemin never uses the tree, but Jeno does, only sometimes. 

 

 

 

 

 

Jaemin could not get a blink last night. It wasn't every day he gamed, but when he did, there was no stopping him. He made his way to his lockers and saw Chenle waiting for him. He sometimes wondered how Chenle looked so awake when the boy probably spends all day gaming.

 

"Hey man. You look dead."

 

"I always look dead."

 

"Yeah, that's true. Anyways, did you hear? Baekhyun is inviting all the league gamers on Friday. You have to come. It's a league tournament." Baekhyun was one of the most popular league players in his college and high school days and Jaemin had one of the biggest crush on him. Not because Baekhyun was handsome or hot, but because he could beat anyone's in the game and that is what attracted him most. Everyone wanted to play with him and Jaemin was ready to take up on that chance. When was there another opportunity?

 

"Friday? I'm down."

 

"Cool. Let's go together then."

 

"Alright. I'm excited for it."

 

During lunch, they gamed again and this time, Haechan was bothering them, like he always does. Haechan was one their close friends who don't game at all and is part of the boys' soccer team and NCT Leadership Crew. 

 

"Guys, stop gaming. You both really need a life."

 

"You too buddy, why won't you go confess to Mark while you're at it," Chenle said. 

 

"And why won't you guys go and get a boyfriend? Especially you Jaemin."

 

Jaemin barely looked up. "Why me? I don't need one since I'm so busy and besides, I have baseball and league."

 

"If you were to choose one, which one would you live with?" Haechan asked.

 

Chenle and Jaemin looked at each other. "This of course."

 

"Oh jeez."

 

"You're missing out on this Haechan. I wished you were into games."

 

Haechan shook his head. "And I wished you guys would stop. You're missing on so many other things in life."

 

“What other things?” Chenle asked. "There is nothing better than this. Face it Haechan, this is our life now."

 

 

 

Jaemin made it to practice just on time for probably the 2nd time that week. He was also one the faster changers on his team so he was out of the lockers room in 5 minutes. He put on his hat and grabbed his bat and water jug just as he went outside. The field was far from the lockers and he hated having to run there every time, but it was just something he needed to deal with.  

 

"Jaemin!" a voice called out. Jaemin turned to see Jihoon running up to him.

 

"Hey."

 

"You ready for today? We have to practice an extra hour today to get ready for the game on Friday."

 

Jaemin paused, making sure he heard correctly. He quickly snatched his phone from his pocket to check his calender. He wasn't allowed to bring his phone out on the field, but he still brought it all the time. It wasn't like his coach cared anyways. 

 

His calendar wasn't marked. "Friday? I didn't know there was a game on Friday. I thought it was changed to Monday."

 

Jihoon looked at him, arching his brows. "Where have you been? There is a game on Friday. Coach informed all of us."

 

At this point, they were already on the field, waiting for the rest of team to come. If there was a game on Friday, it means he can't go to the League Tournament. "I didn't know okay?" He was doomed because he really wants to go see Baekhyun and spent quality time with all the other gamers. He needed to attend the damn tournament. Baseball already takes so much of his life away. 

 

Jihoon was a good teammate and Jaemin liked that about him. They're both the top players and have been together since freshman year. Jihoon was also pretty popular with the girls due to his really good looks and the infamous wink. They were like partner in crime and stuck together pretty often.

 

"Well, now you know."

 

Jaemin sighed, turning his cap to the side. "I have a league tournament. You know how I can't miss that."

 

Jihoon crossed his arm. "Well what's more important? League or baseball? Or think of it this way, gaming or us?"

 

Jaemin bit his lips, seeing all his teammates running to the field. They all lined up to do their warm up stretches before doing 2 laps around the field. Once they were done with laps, coach called them up.

 

"Jaemin, I want you pitching today. Jeno and Jihoon, switch positions and Sungwoon, center field. Gualin and Samuel, first and second base. Everyone is batting today. Let's go guys."

 

They all nodded and got into position. Jaemin put on the glove and a did few practice throws while everyone else got ready. He always pitches for the games but sometimes he gets switched up. The first person up was Daehwi. Daehwi was a strong batter and Jaemin is jealous about that because he wasn't a strong batter like him. Daehwi got into position and Jaemin counted a few seconds before pitching. Daehwi never misses so when he hit the ball, it flew over their heads to the right field. Jaemin looked back to see Sungwoon chasing after the ball. Daehwi was already at 2nd base and was running to 3rd. Daehwi was also very quick on his feet. Jaemin saw Jeno catching the ball, but Daehwi was already back home.

 

"Homerun. Nice one Dae," Coach said. "Next."

 

They continued like that for awhile before they changed positions again and Jaemin was up to bat. This time Jeno was pitching. Honestly, he thinks Jeno at pitching but he had never said it to his face. Jaemin grabbed his bat, standing up straight. He looked at Jeno, making sure that Jeno was ready. Jaemin got into position and Jeno pitched the ball.

 

"Strike."

 

Jaemin sighed, getting into position again. He saw Jeno smiling at him, but he made sure to ignore it. Once he hit the ball, it was a foul. He bit his lips. He couldn't think straight ever since Jihoon told him about the game on Friday. Dammit. His teammates all looked at him, watching him carefully.

 

"Jaemin. Focus!" His coach yelled from the sidelines. "Jeno, stop playing easy. Jaemin, do not miss."

 

Jaemin didn't miss the 3rd time.

 

 

 

When practice ended, they all ran back to the lockers room. Jaemin's feet was in pain because he had almost sprained it earlier running after a ball. That was very stupid of him and he needed to be more careful.

 

"Your feet okay?" Jihoon asked, sitting down next to him.

 

Jaemin just smiled. "It's fine." He quickly got changed and usually he's always the first one to leave. When he got out the door, Jeno pushed him back by the shoulder when he walked in. Jaemin raised his brows at him, wondering what the hell he wanted.

 

"What?"

 

"Good job today."

 

Jeno never compliments him so this all seemed a bit odd. "You too," Jaemin said.

 

Jaemin watched him make his way into the locker rooms. He couldn't help but notice how sweaty Jeno was, but Jeno was always sweaty. This time Jeno looked different. Maybe his eyes were playing with, but whatever.

 

 

 

 

 

"You know, Spring Fling is coming up. You want to take anyone?"

 

Jaemin barely glanced at Chenle. He had fallen asleep last night after 3 hours of gaming and forgot to do his Calc homework so he was doing it now, during lunch. He hates math because he wasn't very good at it. Haechan and Chenle were the math nerds while he prefers writing essays and reading novels.

 

"Dude, Jaemmmmin."

 

"What?"

 

"Are you going to Spring Fling?"

 

Jaemkn finally looked up after finishing the long problem he was working on. "Spring Fling? What about it?"

 

Chenle was about to reply but he saw Renjun walk into the classroom. "Jeno just got asked out to the Spring Fling by Herin." 

 

"Damn. Did he say yes? Herin is so popular though." Herin was one the most popular cheerleaders on campus and she was pretty, with a baby face. Everyone knew her and wanted to get into her pants, except Jaemin.

 

"He rejected her."

 

"Dude, Jeno is so hot and everyone likes him. I wonder who he is taking to the dance," Chenle said.

 

Jaemin glared at them. "Jeno? Have you seen him sweating like a pig and hair messed up and ugly as ? I don't think you know."

 

"We don't see him as much as you do."

 

“I can't believe you think he’s hot Chenle!”

 

“How can I not think he’s hot? Even you can't say that he’s not hot.”

 

Jaemin just rolled his eyes. "By the way, I have a game on Friday. I don't know if I should miss it."

 

"Well, it’s your choice Jaemin. Do you really want to play or game?”

 

"Baseball is your first priority. Don't choose something as stupid as gaming Jae,” Renjun said, crossing his arms and shaking his head.

 

Jaemin looked at Renjun, hurt. "Gaming is not stupid."

 

 

 

 

 

Jaemin was laying on his bed, listening to some music. He had just showered after coming home from a long practice. He felt really tired, but he doesn't like napping right after. He felt a little pain on his left arm whenever he leans to the that side, but he never gave it much thought. He got up and looked out his window. He can see Jeno making his way up to his window. He slowly opened it up, letting the cold breeze flow in.

 

"What do you want?"

 

"I was just around."

 

Jaemin looked at him for a moment. He sometimes doesn't understand Jeno at all.

 

"I heard Herin asked you to the dance."

 

"Yeah. She did."

 

"Well yeah. Anyway, I think imma game right now."

 

"You shouldn't."

 

Jaemin didn't close the window so Jeno climbed inside. Jaemin stared at him, wondering why the Jeno was in his room again.

 

"We're not even friends."

 

"But we are teammates. Without one another, we are nothing."

 

Jeno sat on his bed and Jaemin slowly followed, throwing himself on the bed. "Baseball is everything to you Jeno. You don't look at other things besides it."

 

"I do." Jeno didn't face him. "You just don't."

 

Jaemin didn't understand. "What?"

 

"Stop gaming Jaemin. There are so many other things you don't see."

 

Jaemin got up and looked at his teammate slash neighbor. They've know each other most of their lives, but they were never close. Jaemin doesn't even know what he even means. "You should try maybe. It's really fun."

 

"No thank you. Besides, I don't want to be like you who are greatly addicted to games."

 

"Whatever."

 

Jeno had left a few moments later and Jaemin watched him leave. He could never see Jeno as anything more but just a rude teammate.

 

 

 

 

Jaemin couldn't miss the game, but he also wanted to compete and join the other league players. Baseball was something he did ever since he was young, but gaming was his hobby. But he couldn't let his team down because they needed him. His heart will always be with the team.

 

On the the day of the game, he was dreading it. Jihoon and him sat together on the bus, but all he could think about was missing the league tournament and not meeting Baekhyun. Hopefully there will be other chances. He and his teammates arrived at Astro High School and brought the things they needed for the game. Jaemin had to spend the warm up practicing his pitches while the others worked on batting and stretching. He is dexterous with both hands when he pitches, but for some reason, his left arm is a lot stronger. 

 

"Guys, you know how to roll. I expect a win today, but most of all, I want you guys to have fun." They all gathered for a team talk.

 

"Let's do it guys. Hands in," Jeno called. They did their cheer before getting ready.

 

His team was batting up first. Daehwi was up first and he was after him. He saw Jeno in the back of the line and once Jeno caught his eye, he gave a thumbs up. Jaemin watched Daehwi hit a home run and got ready to head in. Daehwi high fived him. He grabbed his bat and got into position. The pitcher was the same guy from last year, the guy who couldn't pitch properly. The one who made him lose the game.

 

"Crap," Jaemin muttered. He on his bottom lip and swung his bat, practicing his swing. He watched the pitcher for a moment, recognizing his movements. And then it happened. Jaemin swung as hard as he can, but it didn't make it as far as Daehwi's. He ended up at 3rd base. The game lasted for awhile until they got 3 outs after Samuel got tagged out. 

 

"Jeno, I want you to pitch," Coach said.

 

Jaemin was surprised. "Wait, so I take his place?" he asked. He shouldn't be upset at all, but Jeno can't pitch for .

 

"Yes, you take the captain's place."

 

Jaemin sighed. They change positions all the time, but pitching was his thing. They all ran to their position and Jaemin watched Jeno get ready to pitch. He glanced at Jihoon, giving a smile. The first batter was the pitcher. He bit his lips just as he swung the bat. The ball was far off the right field and Sungwoon ran to get it.

 

"Oh no," Jaemin whispered. He ran from his base to follow Sungwoon as fast as he can, catching the ball that was thrown to him. He threw it to 3rd base, where the baserunner was heading to, but Jeno missed it. Jaemin groaned. He couldn't believe Jeno missed tagging the player out. 

 

It happened again, but this time Jaemin was the pitcher. Jihoon had thrown him the ball but it was a bad toss. Jaemin caught it but it was too late since the runner-up was already safe. He had a feeling they were going to lose, but the game had to continue and he couldn't give up.

 

"Okay guys, we are losing by a few. Jaemin, I'm trusting you on this. You're the pitcher and you need to do good and don't up. Everyone else, please do your best and pay attention to the ball. Don't throw it to Jaemin unless it is heading to home base or 3rd."

 

Jeno bumped his shoulder. "Watch out. You almost hurt yourself up there."

 

Jaemin just nodded at him, guessing that Jeno was paying attention to him. He put on his glove and looked at the batter. It was the same guy again. Jaemin couldn't help but feel intimidated by him. He remembered the guy looking at him from afar when their teams were talking. The guy smiled at him.

 

Jaemin sighed, getting ready. He looked at him for the longest time and that was when he caught on. The guy knew his name and he can see him whispering his name. Jaemin quickly pitched the ball. His eyes were casted on the player the whole time that he almost didn't see Jeno throw him the ball.

 

 

 

 

"Jaemin, what was that?"

 

"I have no idea," Jaemin admitted. He looked at Jihoon, shrugging. "The guy gives me the feels."

 

"Jaemin!"

 

Jaemin bit his lips as he looked at his captain. "What?"

 

"From now on, I need you stop getting distracted. You almost made us lose."

 

Jaemin glared at him. "I made us win Jeno. Without me, you guys would be dirt."

 

Jeno pushed him. "Shut up Jaemin. Just because you're good doesn't mean anything. You need to start thinking about the team."

 

Jaemin stared at him, crossing his arm. Jihoon and the guys have already followed their coach to the bus. "I think about you guys so much. Especially you."

 

"What?"

 

"Stop at baseball captain," he said, bumping him on the way out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He had missed the league tournament. It wasn't something he should be upset about. His team had won, but he was sad that he missed seeing Baekhyun. Chenle had told him all about Baekhyun and what had happened. Jaemin was more focused watching Jeno and his friends from across the cafeteria. Jeno was driving him nuts and he didn't really know why, but then when was this not a thing?

 

"Hey, are you listening?"

 

"Huh? Yeah."

 

"What did I just say?"

 

"About Baekhyun beating your ."

 

"Not even. What are you even looking at?" Chenle followed Jaemin's gaze to Jeno's table. "What is wrong?"

 

"I sometimes wished he wasn't my teammate."

 

"You and Jeno don't compare."

 

"Ever since we tried out for baseball freshmen year, it's been hell. I in detest him."

 

"What did he do?"

 

"He's just an that's all." He sighed, getting up from the table to walk to his lockers. Chenle followed him and they both found a letter stuck on it. Jaemin grabbed it and looked at him.

 

"Don't tell me someone is asking me to spring fling right now," Jaemin groaned. He hated getting letters.

 

"A confession letter maybe?"

 

Jaemin opened the letter.

 

Dear Jaemin

 

I've known you since elementary school and you've always been a baseball fan. I found that's really cool about you. When you joined baseball, I was always at your home games and I love seeing you pitch the ball. Spring Fling is coming up and I hope you find someone to take.

 

I like your smile that’s brighter than the stars
This place where
we’re dreaming the same dream

 

 

Jaemin stared at the letter. There seemed to be lyrics at of a song on the bottom, but he didn't know where it came from. There was no name at the bottom either, but it sounded like a girl. "Definitely a girl."

 

Chenle just smiled. "She sounds cute. She even goes to your games."

 

Jaemin bit his lips. "I'm not looking for anyone for Spring Fling though."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because of baseball. I won't have time for it."

 

"Well that really ."

 

 

 

 

 

They had practice on the weekend and Jaemin hated waking up early on the weekdays. He usually drives himself to school and practice and but today he decided to hitch a ride with Jihoon. But Jihoon was at the gym again and would pick him after he was done. Jaemin spent his morning playing league and watching PewDiepie. Sometimes he would play on his Xbox.

 

He heard Jeno's car closing from his window. It that Jeno lived so close and he can hear everything. Jeno was probably heading to practice or getting food. He never really knows. The weird thing was they got their driver's license on the same week and it's been hectic whenever they would drive home from practice. The even almost crashed each other once because they were racing to see who would get home faster.

 

 "Jaemin!" His mom was calling him.

 

"What?" He yelled.

 

"Come down. Ms. Lee is here to see you."

 

He walked down the stairs to see Jeno's mom sitting on the couch with some stuff beside her. She smiled at him.

 

"I came here to see my favorite son."

 

Jaemin walked towards her. "What did you bring?" They are quite close since she always dotes on him ever since he was young. He doesn't even know why. She took out a new cap and some new shoes. Oh no.

 

"Yoona! You ready didn't have too," His mom said.

 

"It's okay Sooyoung. I was out buying stuff for Jeno and I thought why not. I needed to repay you for buying Jeno a new baseball bat."

 

"All he does is game though."

 

"So what? Boys should be boys. Anyways, try this on Jaemin."

 

Jaemin sat next to her and put on the hat. "Thank you."

 

"Now you and Jeno have matching hats."

 

Jaemin raised his brows. "What?"

 

"I'm kidding. You look cute with this on."

 

Jaemin smiled at her. Jeno's mom is the sweetest person he knows and he really likes her too. She always tells him how he looks like a younger version her boyfriend from high school which sometimes made him feel uncomfortable.

 

Jihoon had came over a few moments later and they headed off to practice. Jaemin had to bring extra shoes for Jihoon just in case. They got to practice and he could see Jeno and the guys talking on the bleachers. Jeno's mom had made him wear the hat she bought and was surprised to see Jeno wearing the same one. He grimaced. She did buy him the same one as Jeno. He shouldn't have trusted her.

 

"Oh so now Jeno and Jaemin are a couple?" Daehwi snickered when he saw the hat.

 

Jaemin smacked his Daehwi's back. "You wish." He grabbed his bat from his bag. "Okay, anyone wanna pitch me the ball?"

 

"I'll do it," Jeno said, putting on the glove. Jaemin didn't smile at him. "By the way, I guess we are couples for today."

 

"Your mom loves me."

 

"Of course. You were crying in her arms when I hit you during soccer."

 

Jaemin glared at him, getting into position. "You were crying when I beat you in baseball for the first time in elementary school."

 

"Face it Jaemin, you can never win. I won against you when you ran for captain."

 

"Guys," Jihoon said. "Just pitch the damn ball."

 

Coach had arrived soon after and they were running laps again and Jaemin tripped Jeno on the grass. During the real practice, there were no fun games and they all had to be serious. Baseball was a mentally game and you had to be focused. During the practice round of batting, Jeno accidently hit Jaemin while pitching to him and their coach saw.

 

"Jaemin and Jeno, go do 5 laps around the field. I'm tired of you guys playing around."

 

Jaemin hated running laps. It was his least favorite thing to do during practice. Jeno was ahead of him after they had finished 3 laps.

 

"Come on. You're slow."

 

Jaemin glared at him. "Oh I have so much to say about you." He caught up to him, tripping him once again. Jeno fell down on the grass.

 

He just sighed, turning onto his back. "Why don't we rest here? Coach wouldn't even notice since we're so far away."

 

Jaemin looked down at him for a moment. Jeno had his eyes closed and somehow it felt nice. "Okay." He laid down next to him on the grass.

 

"We have got to stop hating each other," Jeno said. "As captain, I want the best for the team."

 

"How can we stop hating each other?"

 

"Easy. We become friends."

 

Jaemkn thought it was kinda funny. They've never been friends despite being on the same team and neighbors for years. "I don't like you."

 

"I don't like you either, but this season, we have to get along." Jeno stood up, pulling him up. Jeno's hands were sweaty and so was the rest of his body. They ran another 2 laps before going back to practice. Practice lasted for a few hours and the team had decided to hang out afterwards.

 

They all went to go eat fast food and Jaemin was a big lover of anything gross and fattening. They technically have to keep their weight in check, but they all needed a day where they could eat whatever they wanted.

 

"So guys, any plans on going to the dance?" Samuel asked.

 

"Totally. It's my last year here so I want to at least make memories," Sungwoon said.

 

"Jeno, I heard Herin asked you." They all looked at Jeno.

 

Jeno nodded. "She's cute and all, but I have someone else on my mind."

 

"Who?"

 

"I'll tell you guys once she says yes."

 

Jihoon finally turned to Jaemin. Jaemin wanted to avoid the question as much as possible, but there was no way. "And you Jae?"

 

"Um I don't know yet? We have a game that week."

 

"We do but that doesn't mean we can't have fun."

 

"Well what about you Jihoon? Anyone in mind?" He asked.

 

"Yeah. I'm asking Yoojung."

 

They all chooed at him. "Nice. She's a good option."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You got a new letter," Chenle said, opening it up. "You think it's someone you know?"

 

They were in the computer room during lunch. Jaemin looked around for a bit. "It's anonymous."

 

"Who do you think it could be?"

 

"Do you think I would know? I really don't want to upset her or anything because I don't plan on going. You know that."

 

Chenle just sighed. They heard Haechan and Renjun walk in. They quickly shut away the topic and went back to facing the computer screen. Haechan suddenly grabbed onto Jaemin, pulling him up.

 

"What?" He questioned, confused.

 

"Dude I would so kill you if I could. I just found out Mark has a thing for you."

 

Jaemin blinked at him, lips parting. "Oh my god." Mark was best friends with Jeno and part of the basketball team, one of the hottest guy on campus. Haechan has the biggest crush on him but is too chicken to ever make a move.

 

"I just overheard them."

 

Jaemin sat back down. "Well, I don't like him. Maybe you should make your move."

 

Haechan sighed, sitting down next to him. "I never expected him to like you. I mean you're so mean and you don't care about the rest of the world when it's in chaos. All you care about is yourself."

 

Jaemin put his hands on Haechan's shoulder. "What do you want me to do? I don't exactly know how to deal with this. He and I don't even talk."

 

"But you talk to Jeno and that's basically the same thing."

 

"I don't even talk to Jeno unless it's at practice. Now excuse me, I have to league before the bell rings."

 

Jaemin tried to take Haechan's words to heart about Mark liking him, but it seemed so odd. It was like something just hit him across the face. He did have Mark for his calc class, but they never talk. He sometimes sees Mark glance at him from time to time, but he never really thought about it until today. Was Haechan truly not lying? He tried to focus on what the teacher was saying, but none of it seemed to go into his head. He looked over to see Mark from across the room, but Mark was to busy playing on his phone. When bell rang for class to be over, Jaemin shoved his stuff into in his duffel bag and headed to his locker, seeing something stuck on it. He looked around, checking to see if there was a girl walking away. There wasn't anyone.

 

"Oh what is this?" Haechan grabbed the letter, opening it. Jaemin quickly snatched it back. Anyone but Haechan.

 

"Hey stop it."

 

"Secret admirer?" He asked. Jaemin didn't answer him, opening his locker instead. There was a ing red rose right on top of his books.

 

They both looked at each other, eyes wide. Jaemin had so many questions, but at the same time, he had no idea how to react. "Oh god."

 

"You had a secret admirer this whole time?"

 

Jaeemin just nodded, taking the rose out. He gave it Haechan. "You can have it."

 

"No," Haechan shook his head. "Let me read the letter."

 

Jaemin shook his head. "What? No. I'm not letting you read it. If I didn't let Chenle read it, what makes you think I will let you?" That was a total lie when in fact he did let Chenle read it, but he just didn't want Haechan to poke in head into all this. 

 

Haechan grabbed the letter, but Jaemin wouldn't let him have it. It was his letter even though he had no intention to keep it. They both tugged at it and before they knew it, it was ripped. They looked at each other before Jaemin had enough. He slammed his locker and threw everything on the ground.

 

"You see Haechan? This isn't some kind of fairytale,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter