A Promise is a Promise - part I

1 Week with Vkook

 

Jungkook was twelve years old when he moved to a new place. Living just at the other side of the street was a young boy named Taehyung of sixteen years old. Right after Jungkook and his family finished moving all of their stuff to their new house, Taehyung knocked on the door. Jungkook answered the door and let Taehyung in. They introduced themselfes, Taehyung offered the cake that he was holding, orders of his mom, and soon they became friends.

A few months passed by and they became really close friends. Only one year after Jungkook moved, and him and Taehyung were now bestfriends. It was really an unlikely but interesting friendship. People would usually get a little surprised at first when they’d find out, but with time, watching them together, they would get how they got along so well. Jungkook and Taehyung were two completely different people. Jungkook was a kid who passed his time studying or helping his mother out with house chores. Taehyung, instead of worring about tests, passed his days enjoying life. He stayed most of his time outside his house than inside, only going there to eat, sleep when he was about to pass out or to practice with his band. But, even though they had different personalities, even though Jungkook was the shyiest kid in town and Taehyung was just the opposite, they got along just fine. Taehyung was always talking and nagging Jungkook, always coming to his house to play videogames and read comics, and little by little, Jungkook started opening up to him and being less and less shy with Taehyung. Now, it was Jungkook who would usually go where Taehyung was at the moment.

Jungkook had a great admiration for Taehyung. He loved how Taehyung could easily start a conversation with someone and talk to them as if they knew eachother for years. He loved how Taehyung was so artistic and free. He loved how Taehyung couldn’t care less about what other people would think about him or his sometimes strange choices of clothes. He loved Taehyung’s voice and how he could easily change his low tone to a high-pitched voice when singing with his band. Jungkook loved Taehyung. At least that’s what he thought and said to Taehyung.

It was a late afternoon. Jungkook was laying on Taehyung’s garage couch and Taehyung was smoking by a small window. His other three friends and band mates had just left, going to their separate houses. On one of their endless talks, Taehyung told Jungkook about his band and how his biggest dream was to be a famous singer, loved by millions.

“I love you.” Jungkook said then. He was really nervous, but he tried not to show it. Taehyung stopped smoking and looked at him. If he noticed his nervousness he didn’t show it, but he stayed there, looking at Jungkook, at a loss of words. “Do- Do you want to date me?” The words came out of his mouth without too much thought.

Taehyung smiled sweetly at Jungkook, put his cigarette out, and sat at a giant beanbag next to him. “Jungkookie.” He started. “I like you. I really do. But not in that way.” He hated seeing Jungkook’s disconsolate face, but he couldn’t lie to him. “And I’m sure you don’t love me in that way either. Sure, you really like me. But you’re just a kid. You admire me Jungkook, not love me.”

Jungkook started getting irritated at Taehyung’s words. “Why are you saying that? Sure, I admire you. Everyone jokes about me being your number one fan. But I really love you, I’m sure of it.” He crossed his arms and pouted. “I’m just a kid but I can perfectly know what it’s like to be in love. Age doesn’t matter.”

Taehyung smiles one more time at Jungkook and ruffles his hair. He doesn’t like seeing Jungkook look so down, but he can’t deny that it’s funny to see him like this as well. Pouty Jungkook equals cute Jungkook. “You can’t already know what being in love is like.” He laughs. “Not even I know that, and I’m almost an adult.”

“Please.” Jungkook scoffs. “You’re more of a child than I am sometimes.” Jungkook gets up from the couch and prepares to leave. “I should go. It’s almost dinner time.”

“Jungkoooook!” Taehyung whines, one arm raised in his direction.

Jungkook turns around and looks at Taehyung. “What?”

“Are you angry at me? Don’t be like that.” Taehyung says. “It’s just that we’re both so young now. You should only think about dating until you were at least, I don’t know, eighteen.”

“But that’s so far away!” He complains.

Taehyung’s gets up and puts one of his arms around Jungkook’s shoulder. “You’re saying that now, Jungkook, but time runs too fast.” He watches Jungkook’s expressions. “Tell you what, you can ask me if I want to date you again when you’re eighteen. Maybe I’ll have a different answer then.”

Jungkook’s face lightens up and he smiles. “Really?!”

“Sure.” Taehyung laughs. “Now, you were saying that it was almost dinner time? Let’s see if your mom wants to place another plate at the table. I’m starving!”

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

Jungkook and Taehyung return to their normal lifes as if Jungkook had never confessed his love to Taehyung. But Jungkook never forgot his bestfriend's words. “Tell you what, you can ask me if I want to date you again when you’re eighteen. Maybe I’ll have a different answer then.”

One year passed, and Taehyung, now eighteen years old, went to college. Unfortunately the college was too far away for him to return home every weekend or every month. And because of that, Jungkook didn’t see Taehyung all that much. But as soon as Taehyung entered vacations and as soon as he dropped his bags at his place, he would go straight away to Jungkook’s house and make up for lost time.

In his second year of college, Taehyung’s family had to move away. Something about Taehyung’s father wanting to go somewhere closer to his workplace and with a cheaper rent.

Taehyung stopped coming to Jungkook’s place, even during vacation. Even though they called and texted eachother, with time they did that less and less until they stopped talking at all.

Jungkook was sad that he didn’t talk with Taehyung anymore, but he understood that those things happened all the time, especially with Taehyung living so far away from him and being busy with college life.

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

Taehyung, now with a 22 year old body and a whole 17/18 year old mind, is coming back to his place from a quick walk around a nearby park with his dog. He found the dog last year near the door of his apartment. He thought he was just waiting for his owner, but the days passed and every day Taehyung left his apartment, the dog was still there, getting skinnier and skinnier. One day, Taehyung took it home, bathed and fed it. He took a photo of the dog and placed fliers with the photo and his contact info all over town. There was never a response, so Taehyung decided to adopt him.

He was already near his apartment and his dog, Soonshim, even though tired from chasing other animals in the park, was already jumping everywhere, excited to be arriving home. Taehyung went up the small steps and started taking out of his pocket the keychain cointaing the keys for the main door of the apartment. He glanced sideways, watching a young boy, probably his age, near the door. The said boy was walking from one place to another until he saw Taehyung. Then, he stopped and waited for Taehyung to open the door.

Taehyung opened the door and let the boy enter as well. “Forgot the key?” He asked laughing. “Don’t worry. Happens to me all the time.”

The other boy stays still, only smiling slightly at Taehyung’s small chit chat.

“Umm… are you going to come in?” He asks, getting a little flustered at the silent response.

The boy litfs his arm, holding a small bouquet of flowers, in the direction of Taehyung. “Date me.”

Taehyung opens his mouth, no sound coming out, looking at the bouquet of flowers and then at his face. “Excuse me? Is this a joke?” He asks slightly laughing.

“No.” The other one simply answers. “Is just that I turned eighteen, so I thought that you would say yes.” He lowers his arm.

Taehyung, feeling a little taken aback with this stranger's behaviour, starts thinking if he should close the door of the apartment before letting him in. In fact, he doesn’t remember ever seeing him here.

“Taehyung?” The boy asks, watching Taehyung take one step back.

“How do you k-” And then Taehyung really looks into this stranger’s eyes and makes sense of his words. “J-Jungkook?” He calls, unsure.

He watches a timid smile creep onto the other guy’s face as a response. “Jungkook!” He shouts, jumping onto the the other boy’s arms involving him into a tight hug.

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

Taehyung opens the door to his house and lets Jungkook come in. He asks for Jungkook’s coat and puts it on top of his bed together with his own. He returns to the front door/ living room/kitchen where Jungkook still is waiting for him and goes to the couch, asking him to join him.

“No wonder I didn’t recongnize you right away. Did you look at yourself in the mirror recently?” Taehyung asks. “You look so different. You look like you have my age.”

“And you look like you have mine. Funny things.” Jungkook says, grinning and gaining a smack on his arm.

“No, but seriously, you look so different. But in a good way, don’t worry.” Taehyung laughs. He glances over to Jungkook’s hand still holding the bouquet of flowers. “Hum… Give me that.”

“Thanks.” Jungkook smiles. “You look good youself. As always.” He continues, handing Taehyung the flowers.

Taehyung lets out a small laugh and grabs the bouquet. He walks to the small kitchen area, grabbing a tall glass with water and puts the flowers there. “Sorry about the mess.” He says returning to the couch and grabbing some papers laying on the floor on his way over. “If I knew you were coming over I would’ve cleaned the place a bit.”

“That or pretend no one was home.” He says glancing over to Taehyung.

Taehyung feels a little sorry. “I’m so sorry, Jungkookie. You know it wasn’t my intention to stop talking to you. It was just… life.” He concluded, feeling like a ty friend.

“It’s okay, Taehyung. I was just joking.” Jungkook laughs.

“But still!”

“Taehyung, I came here to know how you were doing, not for you to get all depressed on me.” He jokes.

“Of course. Of course!” Taehyung exclaims, regaining his happy face. “Those things aside, how are you doing?”

“I’m good. Got into college, not too far from here. My room is a mess as well but not to this extent.” They both laugh and Jungkook hears another small apology.

“I see that you got a dog.” Jungkook continues, when Taehyung doesn’t say anything except stare at Jungkook.

“Huh?” He gets his attention back. “Oh, yeah. Soonshim!” He calls.

The dog, who was laying on the floor near his water bowl, goes to Taehyung, who starts petting him.

“He’s the best. I got him last year. Someone must have abandoned him.” He informs, with a sad face. “I took him to the vet, he’s three years old.”

“He’s adorable.” Jungkook tells him.

“Yes, he is.” Taehyung smiles at Jungkook. “Hey, I just realized something.”

“What?”

“How did you know where I lived? I never told you.”

Jungkook lets out a sheepish laugh. “I actually asked my mom to ask you’re mom to give me your address. I told them that I was going to visit you and make a surprise.”

“You did! You totally did.”

They talk and laugh for a couple more minutes until Taehyung realizes what time it is.

“Damn, how time flies. Do you want to stay and have dinner?” He asks. “We can talk a little more.”

“Sure.” Jungkook accepts happily. “Wanna eat out?”

“Yes, that’s actually for the better.” Taehyung says, hand rubbing his neck. “I live alone for some years now, but that doesn’t mean I can make a decent meal now.”

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

They make a quick walk of fifteen minutes and arrive at a nearby McDonald’s. They get their orders and sit face to face in a booth.

If there’s anything that Taehyung likes better than not having to cook, is eating cheap, delicious and fried food.

“So…” Jungkook starts just before Taehyung takes his first bite. “Do you usually take all your dates to a fast food restaurant?”

Taehyung chokes on a piece of his hamburguer. “W-What?” Taehyung asks, coffing.

“Are you okay?” Jungkook asks back, slightly amused, leaning forward to tap Taehyung’s back, trying to help him with his cough.

“I’m okay. I’m okay.” He repeats. “Jungkook.” He calls, sighing. “I’m sorry if I misunderstood something, but this is not a date.”

“Oh, sorry. I guess you forgot.” Jungkook says, still smiling. “Do you remember our talk when I confessed to you, years ago?”

“Kind of, yeah.” Taehyung answers.

“Well, you said if I was at least eighteen and still liked you, that we could date.”

“I’m sorry, Jungkook, but I don’t think that that’s what I said.” Taehyung says, making Jungkook lift his eyebrows. “I said that I might have a different answer to your confession. Emphasis on the word might.”

Jungkook leans back and slouches his shoulders, visibly sulkying. “Saying it like that then it’s obvious that you’re still going to reject me.” He stuffs his mouth with a handfull of fries and crosses his arms.

Taehyung is completely amused seeing Jungkook get all sulky and pouty over him, just like a child. He opts to not saying that, thinking that Jungkook won’t be very happy to hear Taehyung call him a kid. “Don’t be like that, Jungkookie. Think positive.” He says, gaining, once again, Jungkook’s attention. “You just got a free meal.” He finishes off laughing and gaining an eye roll coming from Jungkook.

A few minutes pass with Jungkook trying and failing to ignore Taehyung and with Taehyung trying to cheer the other up. It gets to a point where Jungkook decides to stop ignoring Taehyung and just enjoy the moment, and so he joins in on the conversation.

“Are you still studying?” Jungkook asks.

“I’m twenty-two.” Taehyung says, laughing, as if that would answer the question. “Nope, not anymore.” He ends up saying, after watching Jungkook’s face still waiting for a concrete answer.

“Oh, so you’re working now?” Jungkook asks, slowly gaining a smile. “What are you doing?”

“I had one or two jobs before, but they just weren’t my thing.”

“They just weren’t your thing.” Jungkook repeats, smile on his face.

“Yeah. They weren’t what I had in mind for me.” Taehyung smiles back. “So, I decided to take a small break from the torturous pain in the coming from trying to find the right the job, and just enjoy life for a few days.”

“You’re still the same.” Jungkook claims, feeling a little proud of Taehyung for not changing his way of thinking even after all this years.

Taehyung notices the glint on Jungkook’s eyes, the adoration on his face. He scrunhes his nose as well as his eyebrows, but opts to not say anything.

“By the way…” Jungkook starts asking in a more serious tone. “Are you seeing someone?”

“I’m not.”

“Did you date anyone in this years?”

“Yeah, I did.” Taehyung answers truthfully. “Two people, actually. But nothing too serious. I guess relationships aren’t my thing either.” He laughs.

Jungkook doesn’t laugh, just stares at Taehyung.

“What about you?” Taehyung asks.

“What about me?” Jungkook asks back. “I think it’s obvious that I didn’t date anyone. I wouldn’t date someone knowing that it’s you the one I like.”

Even though Taehyung claimed he didn’t like Jungkook in that way, he couldn’t help but feel happy hearing that, a little proud, even, for being the one on Jungkook’s mind and heart all of this years, even when they stopped talking.

When they finished eating and left the fast food restaurant, Taehyung asked Jungkook how was he going to go back to his dormitory, and if he needed money for a taxi.

“Tomorrow’s Saturday.” Jungkook says a little shyly. “I was thinking that because it’s the weekend that I could stay at your place for a couple of days, to make up for the lost time. If you don’t mind.”

“Of course I don’t mind!” Taehyung shows a huge smile. “I think it’s a great idea, as long as you don’t mind sleeping on the couch.”

Jungkook laughs. “I don’t mind at all.”

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

The next day, Taehyung decides to make pancakes for lunch. Just because that’s one of the only things that he knows how to make without burning his whole place. Jungkook finds that funny and they happily eat all the pancakes in record time, like a couple of hungry beasts.

Taehyung suggests that they play some videogames just like the old times and Jungkook thinks that it’s an excellent idea.

“Since you’re the guest you can choose which game to play. I will crush you either way.” Taehyung says smuggly.

“Yeah, right. We’ll see about that.” Jungkook scoffs. “Mario karts?”

“Good choice.” Taehyung raises a thumbs up, getting up from the couch, ready to put the game in. “…if you want to spend all day crying because you play like a little kid.”

“Oh, it’s on.” Jungkook throws himself on the couch with an evil smile. “It’s so on!”

Just as predicted, Taehyung wins the first game, as well the second, and thrid… “What can I say? I’ve always been good at videogames.” He compliments himself after every win.

On their fourth game, however, Taehyung wins just for a fraction of time, gaining a smug look from Jungkook. And that’s it. After that game, all Taehyung could see were losses and more losses, Jungkook’s laugh and an occasional “Tae, weren’t you supposed to be good?”.

After Taehyung’s six losses in a row, he was preparing to suggest playing a different game and to handle all of Jungkook’s dumb retorts in consequence of his suggestions, when someone rings the doorbell.

“Now?!” Taehyung asks, getting up from his couch. “Who is i- Oh!” He stops for a second, turning to Jungkook. “I forgot that I had invited a friend over a couple of day ago. Is it okay if I let him in?”

“Of course.” Jungkook responds with a small smile. “I’m the one who came here without warning you beforehand.”

“Great. You’ll love him, he’s the best!” Taehyung exclaims, quickly going towards the door.

“I’m sure he is.” Jungkook says softly.

“Jimin!” Taehyung opens the door with open arms.

“Taehyung!” Jimin quickly engulfs him in a hug.

“Jungkook.”

“Uh?” Jimin lets go of Taehyung and looks behind the boy.

Jungkook’s right behind Taehyung, looking straight at Jimin with a serious expression. He raises his arm, hand stretched out in Jimin’s the direction. “I’m Jungkook. Nice to meet you.”

“Oh!” Jimin beams and shakes his hand. “I’m Jimin. Nice to meet you too.”

Jungkook smiles and nods before walking to his previous spot on the couch.

Jimin gives Taehyung a look. “Don’t mind him, he’s just a little shy with new people.” Taehyung says, laughing.

“He looked more pissed than shy. Was I interrupting something?” Jimin smirks at him.

“W-What? Of course not.” Taehyung blurts out. “He’s my childhood friend. That’s all.”

“Taetae you don’t have to get all shy with me.” Jimin cups his hands on Taehyung’s face. “I’m just admired that I’m not your only friend.”

“What about all our other friends? Don’t they exist?” Taehyung asks smiling. “Either way, we were playing some videogames before you came. Why don’t you join us?” He asks, walking towards the television and the couch.

“Fine by me. What were you playing?” Jimin asks, sitting on the floor in front of the TV.

“Mario karts.” Jungkook simply responds.

Jimin retorts his face. “That? I’m horrible at that. I always lose.” He pouts.

“It’s okay.” Taehyung laughs. “We can play something else.”

Jungkook sighs. Jimin looks at him and then to Taehyung. “No, no. We can play Mario karts.” He waves his hands in the air. “You just have to remind me the controls. I don’t play this game in months.”

“Yeah, yeah. No problem.” Taehyung sits next to Jimin with a remothe control, giving him a quick lesson on how to play.

Jungkook just rolls his eyes, stretching his legs on the couch.

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

“Oh, .” Jimin says, after checking the time on his phone. “We’ve been playing for hours.”

“Sounds like us.” Taehyung laughs.

“I should go. It’s almost dinner time.” Jimin says, stretching his arms.

“And?” Taehyung asks.

“And someone has to feed the giant baby living in my house.”

“Do you have a younger brother?” Jungkook asks.

Taehyung and Jimin laugh at the same time. “No, not at all.” Jimin answers.

Jungkook waits for a more elaborate explanation but doesn’t get any.

“Well, I’m not going to take any more of your bonding time.” He says, getting up from his spot. “You should bond without me. I can have you any other time anyways.” He sticks his tongue out.

Taehyung catches Jungkook eyes practically doing somersaults, and can’t even count the number of times he caught the other boy doing that that afternoon.

“Do you want me to walk you to the door?” He asks.

“Nah, I’ll walk myself out. It’s just like five steps either way.” Jimin says. “Oh, right. I almost forgot. Are you still going to tonight’s party?”

“Nope. Jungkook’s here.” He says, grabbing a surprised Jungkook and squishes him. “Bonding time, you know?”

“It’s okay.” Jungkook says, getting out of Taehyung’s tight grip. “We could go. That actually sounds fun.”

“Are you sure?” Taehyung asks. “I don’t mind not going at all, Jungkookie.”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” Jungkook softly laughs.

Taehyung studies Jungkook’s face to see if he really means that. “Okay, we’ll go.” He says happily.

Jimin beams at that and leaves Taehyung apartment after saying goodbye.

When Taehyung’s apartment door closes, Jungkook returns to Taehyung. “Do you like him?”

“Uh?” Taehyung gets caught in surprise. “Of course I do.” He says, smiling, watching Jungkook’s face amused. “But just in a friendly way.” He finally says, thinking that he was making Jungkook suffer for too long. Not even three seconds.

“That’s not what it looked like.” Jungkook says. “You were always hugging him and helping him out with the game.”

“I hug you all the time too.”

“I thought that you only hugged me.” Jungkook shyly confesses.

Taehyung remembers all the times where he caught Jungkook roll his eyes at Jimin or sigh at something he had said, and now it all made sense. “Are you jealous, Kookie?” Taehyung coos at Jungkook, hugging him once again. “Don’t worry, even if I liked Jimin, he already has a boyfriend. A short but scary boyfriend.”

“Oh, so you just don’t date Jimin, because he is already dating?” Jungkook pouts.

“Of course.” He simply answers.

Jungkook gets up from the couch and walks away, peeved.

“…Not! Of course not! I was kidding Jungkook.” He chases him, laughing.

Jungkook stops walking and turns to Taehyung. “Are you making fun of me? Do you enjoy seeing me get all frustrated?”

“Wha-?” Taehyung doesn’t quite know how to respond to him, hearing Jungkook talk like that to him.

“Unless you like me too, I think that this joke of yours isn’t really funny, Taehyung.” He continues, taking one step forward, getting a little too close for Taehyung. “Is that so? Do you like me, Taehyung?”

Taehyung stands still, looking straight at Jungkook’s eyes. “Hum… I…” He stutters.

Jungkook starts laughing and tapping Taehyung’s head. “Tae, I’m just kidding. I already know that you don’t.”

“Yes, haha.” Taehyung laughs.

“Just don’t blush like that too often, or else I will seriously think otherwise.” He says smiling, before walking to the kitchen. “Do you want me to make something for dinner? I don’t feel like eating pancakes again.”

Taehyung walks behind him. “The kitchen is all yours.” He says, sitting on a nearby chair. “Now, make me a buffet!”