A Promise is a Promise - part II

1 Week with Vkook

 

After a successful dinner, with Taehyung being assigned to cutting the vegetables and nearly chopping his finger off, making him dismissed to the couch and just watch some TV, Taehyung and Jungkook made their way to Taehyung’s bedroom to start getting ready for the party.

“So, here’s a problem that I only thought about now.” Jungkook says.

“What?” Taehyung asks throwing himself on his bed.

“I don’t have anything good to wear for the party.” Jungkook sits next to Taehyung. “I didn’t expect to go to a party, so the only clothes I brought were the stuff I was wearing and a couple of white t-shirts.”

“And?” Taehyung asks, looking at Jungkook, lifting one of his eyebrows. “You look good in those.”

Jungkook scoffs. “Obviously. But I’m not going to a party like that.”

“I actually don’t see the problem. But you can check my wardrobe and see if there’s anything that you like, if you want.”

“Really?” Jungkook beams, getting up from the bed.

“Sure, why not? That’s what friends are supposed to do.” Taehyung laughs. “You can wear anything you want, except the large black pants and the grey shirt with the cuts. Those are mine.” He says seriously. “I’m going to take a shower. Bye bye!” He waves, grinning.

Jungkook takes Taehyung’s selection of clothes off the wardrobe and places them on the bed for him. He observes Taehyung’s choice of clothes and laughs. “You didn’t change at all.”

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

Taehyung finishes his shower and goes to his bedroom. He closes the door and throws the towel wrapped around his head to the floor, eyeing his clothes laid perfectly on the bed.

“I told you not to choose those!” He exclaims, turning to Jungkook.

Jungkook laughs. “As if I was going to wear those.”

Taehyung stares at Jungkook for a full minute, eyeing up and down. He’s wearing a close-fitted black dress shirt tucked into some black tight trousers. “Why not? What’s wrong with my choice of clothes?” He finally asks. “And why are my clothes so tight on you? It looks like you’re going to rip them apart.”

“I look hot, right?” Jungkook asks in a teasing tone, smug smile on his face. “And it’s not my fault that you’re so skinny.”

Taehyung looks at Jungkook almost offended. “First of all, I’m not a fan of this cocky side of yours Jungkookie. And second of all, I’m not skinny. You’re the one who looks like a bunny on steroids.”

“You still didn’t answer my question.” Jungkook says, crouching to lace his shoes.

“What question?” Taehyung asks, putting his shirt on.

“If I look hot in these clothes.” Jungkook asks serious.

“Jesus Christ, what happened to the shy Jungkook I used to know?” Taehyung sighs. “Yes, you look hot, fine, like a handsome bunny on steroids. Happy?”

 “Very much so, yes.” Jungkook grins. “And don’t worry about what I said before. I was just joking with you. You’re not that skinny. You’re perfect.” He finishes with an exaggerated wink, mouth slightly open.

“As if I was worrying about that.” Taehyung scoffs. “And don’t say that kind of things. It’s embarrassing.” He throws his body towel to Jungkook’s head, blinding him for a second.

“Why can’t I?” Jungkook asks laughing, removing Taehyung’s towel off of his face. “It’s the truth.”

At that moment, Taehyung’s phone starts ringing, showing Jimin’s name on the screen.

“Oh ! Jimin’s already here.” Taehyung starts panicking.

“Do you want me to answer that?” Jungkook asks, while Taehyung goes looking for the perfect shoes for his outfit.

“Yeah, thanks.”

Jungkook grabs Taehyung’s phone and slides his finger on the screen to answer the call.

“Taehyung, my friend. Stop eye ing your supposedly childhood friend and come downstairs. We’re already here, and Suga is already counting the minutes you’re going to take.” Jimin says in one go.

“Taehyung’s supposedly childhood friend speaking.” Jungkook says. “We’re still going to take a minute or two.” He hears Taehyung groan in the bathroom. “Taehyung’s currently in a fight with his hair.”

“Oh. Haha. Right.” Jimin laughs awkwardly. “Sorry ‘bout that. Pretend you didn’t hear that first part, for my sake. And don’t worry about it. You have all the time you need. Byeee!” Jimin says before hanging up, but not before Jungkook hears a ‘All the time you need my !’ coming from the other end of the call.

“That was something.” Jungkook says looking at Taehyung’s phone still in his hand.

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

Eight minutes later, not that anyone was counting, except for Suga, Jimin’s boyfriend, and they all get to their party. They get lucky and find a parking spot near the party’s house. They walk to the house and quickly make their way inside.

Jungkook is completely awestruck. The only parties he had ever attended were birthday parties when he was like ten. He was in the first year of college, but spending all his free time either studying or gaming, didn’t really help him socialize and get invited to a party.

The house was packed with young people, probably half of them already drunk, dancing, talking, making out or just passed out on the couch. The windows were vibrating with the loud music resonating through the whole house, and Jungkook wasn’t sure how the neighbors hadn’t already called the police, complaining about all that noise.

“The neighbors are all friends with Namjoon, the host of the party. They must be here as well. That’s why he can have parties any time he wants.” Taehyung informs Jungkook, laughing, like he had heard his inner thoughts. “Let’s dance!” He exclaims, grabbing Jungkook by his arm, leading him to a space in the main room full of other people dancing.

Jungkook isn’t really fond of dancing, nor is he good at it, so he just opts to try to mimic Taehyung’s moves and don’t look too awkward.

“Jungkook.” Taehyung calls, laughing. “You need to loosen up, dude. Even Namjoon can move better than you. Even though I think that he’s problem is that he moves too much.” He says, pointing at a random guy, probably Namjoon, dancing like a maniac.

“Drinks?” Jimin asks, holding two red plastic cups on his hands.

“You read my mind.” Taehyung thanks him, grabbing one of the cups.

“Thanks.” Jungkook says as well, reaching for the other.

Taehyung taps on his hand. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Umm… Grabbing the drink?” Jungkook says, unsure. “Weren’t you the one who said that I should loosen up?”

“Well, yeah. But not like that.” Taehyung says, drinking from his cup. “Let’s go mingle. Maybe then you’ll feel less shy and we can continue dancing.”

“Sure. Why not?” Jungkook asks to the air, getting, once again, dragged by Taehyung somewhere else.

“Good chat. Good chat.” Jimin repeats.

Taehyung introduces Jungkook to a few people. And just like Taehyung had said, Jungkook starts feeling less and less shy, being surrounded with open minded people, who are there to just enjoy their time and not to judge others.

But, even though, as the night passes, Jungkook gets happier, Taehyung feels more impatient and irritated. All he wants is to have a good time with Jungkook and he’s other friends, but every five minutes someone offers alcohol to him and Jungkook. He’s tired of rejecting the drinks for Jungkook, and irritated of having to argue with Jungkook every time he does so. One of those times, before Taehyung has the time to decline the drinks, Jungkook grabs one of them and drinks the whole thing in one go. Taehyung stares at him shocked.

“What the , Jungkook?” He shouts.

“What? Why can’t I drink?” Jungkook shouts back. “You can. So why can’t I?”

“Because I can and you’re not old enough!”

“Oh, that again.” Jungkook scoffs. “I’m not old enough to date you, I’m not old enough to drink,… Nothing’s ever good enough for you!” He leaves Taehyung standing there with his friends who don’t really know how to act at that moment.

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

Taehyung still thinks that he’s the one who’s right, not Jungkook. And, so, he leaves the other boy alone for a few minutes, probably cussing at a random wall in the house. He gets another drink and goes to the living room dance his mind off.

When he starts getting too hot from all the dancing and all the heat coming from the people surrounding him, he decides to cool off for a minute and look for Jungkook. “Maybe he’s not pissed at me anymore.”

A whole fifteen minutes pass with Taehyung walking everywhere trying to find Jungkook, and it doesn’t help that Namjoon’s house is so big. “Why are there so many rooms, anyways?”

He goes back to the main living room and notices Jimin and Suga in one of the couches. Suga probably dozing off and Jimin making him company, being the perfect boyfriend he is.

“Yo guys!” Taehyung greets, sitting next to Jimin. “How’s the party?”

“Too loud.” Suga grumps.

“I told you, you didn’t have to come.” Jimin says.

“I know. But do you really think that I would let you come here, knowing how this house is full of drunk and stupid guys?” Suga asks. “Just one look at you and they would make a line trying to get a kiss out of you.”

Jimin blushes hearing that. “Stop exaggerating everything.” He mumbles shyly. “What about you? Why aren’t you with your lover boy?” He asks Taehyung.

“Because he’s not my lover boy.” Taehyung says matter-of-factly. “And because I supposedly pissed him off and now I can’t find him.”

Jimin lifts an eyebrow but doesn’t make any questions.

“How couldn’t you find him?” Suga asks, arching his eyebrows. “He’s right there, talking to Jin, for like a half an hour now.” He says, pointing his finger.

Taehyung follows Suga’s finger and in that direction he watches Jungkook leaning on the wall laughing at something that Jin must had said.

“What’s the deal with him, laughing like that?” Taehyung asks, scrunching his eyebrows. “Since when was Jin that funny?”

“I’m pretty sure that he’s not laughing because he finds him funny.” Suga says, chuckling. Jimin smacks him on the arm.

“Huh?” Taehyung asks. “Then why?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Suga asks back, gaining a sigh from Jimin. “Because he’s flirting with him.”

“Yeah, right. Jungkook?” Taehyung asks, laughing.

None of them says anything else, and Taehyung’s gaze drifts to Jungkook and his new friend, Jin. The two boys seem to be getting along just fine, not passing more than 20 seconds without at least one of them laughing at the other. Taehyung just rolls his eyes and keeps watching.

Jungkook rests one of his hands on Jin’s shoulders and leans on him, saying something to his ear, making the other boy laugh. Taehyung’s leg starts shaking up and down like crazy and both Jimin and Suga look at him, watching his face retort in frustration, teeth biting his own lip.

Jin’s the one who leans on Jungkook this time, and in a matter of seconds, he closes their distance and kisses him. Taehyung doesn’t even have time to think. He jumps out of the couch and practically flies to them, grabbing Jin by the shoulders, turning him around and punching him right in the face.

Taehyung’s not really that strong, but Jin still fell onto the floor, not expecting that blow at all, scrunching with pain.

“What the ?!” Jungkook shouts at Taehyung. “Are you crazy?” He asks, crouching trying to help Jin.

“Leave him there!” Taehyung shout back.

“I think you broke my nose, dude.” Jin whines.

Jungkook stares angrily at Taehyung, ignoring the other. “Why the did you do that?”

“Oh, I don’t know.” Taehyung barks, rolling his eyes. “Just let me ask you this. Do you really like me to be kissing other guys? Or is Jin the one you like now?” He asks, laughing in frustration. “Enlighten me. I would love to know!”

“Are you seriously asking me that, Taehyung?” Jungkook asks. “You’re the one who rejected me. So why do you even care?”

“Because-”

“I’m confused. Are you two dating? ” Jin asks, getting up from the floor, hand covering his nose. “Sorry Taehyung. I didn’t know. It was just that Jungkook was-”

Taehyung grabs Jungkook’s arm and practically drags him out of the house.

“Stop dragging me around. You’re hurting me.” Jungkook whines when they leave the house.

Taehyung lets go of Jungkook’s arm right away. “Sorry.” He apologizes softly.

“It- It’s okay.” Jungkook mumbles, looking away. “Where the hell are we going?”

“Home.” He starts walking again. “I think that it was time for us to leave.”

“What about Jimin and Suga? We came with them.” Jungkook walks with him.

“I’m sure they don’t mind. They may even prefer to drive home alone, without us.”

Jungkook hums and they keep walking in silence.

They walk for about fifteen minutes, none of them saying a word. Jungkook’s feeling physically and mentally tired. He takes out of his jacket’s inner pocket a cigarette and a cigar.

Taehyung, noticing the small flame coming from his side, glances at Jungkook shocked at seeing him smoking. Before Jungkook can even put the cigarette in his mouth, Taehyung smacks the object to the floor, not wasting any second, stepping on it to put it out.

“Humm… What was that?” Jungkook asks in a calm but confused tone.

“I’m the one who should be asking you that.” Taehyung says, a little sternly.

“Why? I’m not old enough for that either?” Jungkook asks, rolling his eyes. “I don’t know if you already know, Taehyung, but I’m already eighteen.”*

“Don’t be like this, Jungkook. You’re being immature and you know it.” Taehyungs sighs. “I perfectly know that you’re eighteen, but age doesn’t have anything to do with smoking. Being eighteen or fifty doesn’t change the fact that smoking is awful for you. I always thought that you were smart enough to know not to do that. This disappointed me.”

Jungkook looks to the ground, feeling a little shy and conscious of his actions. “Sorry.” He says, softly. “But you also smoke.” He looks carefully at Taehyung.

Taehyung sighs. “I know. But I’m stupid.” He gives Jungkook a small smile. “Tell you what, if you stop smoking, I promise I will stop smoking as well.”

Jungkook stays quiet for a couple of seconds, sinking Taehyung’s words in. “You promise you’ll stop or you promise that maybe you’ll stop?”

Taehyung quietly laughs. “I promise I will stop, for real.”

Jungkook happily smiles at Taehyung. “Deal. Now, let’s go home quickly, ‘cause I’m freezing.”

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

They get home and get ready to go sleep. They make a little chit chat, avoiding the theme of the party and part their ways to bed. Taehyung goes to his bedroom and Jungkook goes to the living room with Taehyung’s dog, to the couch.

Taehyung feels completely exhausted and soon starts drifting off to sleep. That is until he hears a knock on his door. He decided to ignore it, thinking that it’s is dog trying to open the door, to sleep with Taehyung, like he sometimes do. There’s a second knock and the door opens, Jungkook’s head popping out.

“Tae?” He whispers. “Are you sleeping?”

“I was trying to. Why?” He asks, half asleep.

“Can I sleep with you?”

Taehyung turns his bedside table lamp on, sits on his bed and looks at Jungkook suspicious.

“Oh, no! It’s nothing like that!” Jungkook quickly amends, waving his hand in the air. “It’s just that I’m completely sore from sleeping on your couch. It’s too small for me. And Soonshim doesn’t stop trying to climb in, and I’m completely tired from today and just want a good night of sleep.” He whines.

Taehyung gives him another suspicious look but soon falls into his words, like always. “Fine.” He sighs.

Jungkook beams and quickly closes the door of the bedroom and runs to Taehyung’s bed, getting comfortable.

Taehyung turns the light off and closes his eyes, trying to fall asleep.

“Tae?” Jungkook whispers.

“Nng?” He groans.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Nng.”

“Promise you won’t get mad?”

“What is it Jungkook?” He asks.

“Why did you get that upset when Jin kissed me?”

Taehyung doesn’t really know how to respond to that. He actually didn’t thought about since then.

“Is it because you like me?” Jungkook asks softly.

“Obviously not.” He replies. “We only saw each other not even two days ago.”

“Yes, but I don’t think that that really matters.” Jungkook says. “We’ve known each other for years now. And even then, there are people who fall in love at first sight every day.”

Taehyung sighs. “Just forget about that idea, of you and me dating each other. Even if I liked you, we couldn’t date. That wouldn’t work out.”

Jungkook sits on the bed and turns on the lamp of his bedside table. “Why?” He asks, looking straight at Taehyung.

Taehyung scratches his head, sitting as well on the bed. “How can I start?” He asks to himself, half smiling. “Do you remember when we were talking and I told you that I wasn’t studying anymore?”

Jungkook silently nods.

“I omitted the fact that I had quit studying in my second year of college. I was still hanged up on the idea of becoming a famous singer, so I joined a band. Obviously, my parents didn’t like my life choices, and for once, caring about what I did or didn’t do, they stopped paying my bills and sending me money.” He looks at Jungkook to see if he’s still paying attention. “Me and my band used to play and sing at some random places all over the city at night. During the day, we practically just smoked and drank. I started getting into this cycle, the small amount of money that I gained was spent on booze and cigarettes instead of food and bills. When one of my band mates got into an alcoholic coma, that’s when I realized just how ed up my life had become, so I left the band, stopped drinking and smoking that much.”

Jungkook opens his mouth but Taehyung is quicker.

“When I told you that I had had one or two jobs before but I had quit them because they weren’t for me. That’s not really true. After leaving the band I applied for several jobs, but without even having finished college, none of the jobs accepted me. The only thing that I could get was part-time jobs at convenience stores and fast food restaurants.” He sighs loudly, not wanting to say all this things, especially for Jungkook, but knowing that he should. “When you asked me if I had dated before, I said that I had, with two different people, but nothing too serious, that it didn’t work out because relationships just weren’t for me. Well, that’s completely true. In both of those relationships I got dumped because they wanted to have something serious, and with me that couldn’t ever happen.” He looks at Jungkook. “That’s why even if I wanted I couldn’t date you, Jungkook. It wouldn’t work out, and I would just ruin your future.”

“That’s not true.”

Taehyung raises one of his eyebrows. “Didn’t you hear all of what I just said?”

“I heard everything.” Jungkook says in a serious tone.

“None of my past relationships ever worked.”

“I’m different and I don’t really care about that.” He shakes his shoulders.

“I don’t even have a job. I can’t even give you a stable future.”

“I’m in college just for that. You don’t have to worry about that.” He continues.

“I live in a T1 in an old apartment. My house is just as messy and disorganized as his life.”

“That’s not a problem. I don’t even live here, I live in a dormitory. And even if I did, we wouldn’t need any more rooms than this one.” Jungkook gives him a small smile. “And the first thing that we’re going to do tomorrow is buying a vacuum cleaner and some good detergents.”

“I can’t even cook a decent meal.”

“Then you’re in luck, because I love cooking and, modesty aside, I’m actually very good at it.”

Taehyung goes quiet for a few seconds before talking again. “I’m much older that you. We’re going to get strange glares and rude comments from people judging us.”

“Four years is not that much. And since when did you care about what other people thought of you?” He asks with a small chuckle.

“I wouldn’t care, but you would.” Taehyung answers truthfully.

“Impossible.” Jungkook says simply. “As long as you were the one with me, I would never care about what any other people had to say or think about us.”

Taehyung averts Jungkook’s gaze and stares at his own crossed legs on the bed.

“Are you still trying to come up with reasons for us not to date?” Jungkook laughs sweetly. “Just don’t, Taehyung. Don’t think too much about this. No matter the amount of reasons you come up with, I will find a solution to every single one of them.”

Jungkook gets closer to Taehyung and wipes a few tears that are starting to fall from Taehyung’s eyes.

Taehyung quietly laughs. “For a person who passed his life with no problems, not caring about the uncertainty of the future… look at me now.” He says, covering his face with his hands.

Jungkook hold his hands and takes them off of his face. “If I’m being honest, I actually prefer this new you. Worrying about your future… I think that that’s very mature. It looks good on you, for a change.” He says, jokingly, making Taehyung laugh.

“Tae.” He calls, softly.

“Hm?” Taehyung asks, looking at him.

“Can I kiss you?”

Taehyung doesn’t say anything, averting Jungkook’s eyes.

“I told you to stop thinking too much!” Jungkook says, gently smacking Taehyung’s side of the head.

Taehyung gives him a heartwarming smile and leans closer, kissing him, slowly and sweetly.

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

“Tae?” Jungkook calls softly.

“Nng?” He grunts, trying to sleep.

“Tomorrow, after we buy the vacuum cleaner, what are we going to do?” Jungkook asks.

“I’m going to take you on a date.” He whispers.

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

A.N.: *In my country you’re an adult with eighteen years old, so Jungkook wasn’t underage when he drank alcohol and smoked.

This is the end of the first story, hope you liked it. Tomorrow I'll write and post another one.

:)