V. RAINBOW

Colour me bright

 

Two things happen after his identity is exposed. Taehyun, for one, can be more honest with himself and Chaeyoung, too. He tells her more about himself, as Taehyun and not Nam, he even sings when she asks for it and music becomes something he can pour his feeling into again. On a different note, the villagers suddenly grow to hate him. He supposes Chaeyoung’s parents told everyone who he is, so it's nothing he didn't expect. He gets stared at, ignored, snapped at, depending on how people dealt with their hate. He could have left, he has always been good at running away anyway. It would have been easier to go back to the capital and lock himself in the darkness of his room. But no, it's time to face the consequences. It's time to make things right.

On the first days of the hate parade there are almost no customers in the bistro but Minho isn't disheartened.

"They will come back. They won't survive without my awesome bulgogi," he says without the slightest hint of doubt and he's right. Within a week the regulars return one by one, especially when the word spreads that the pianist is taking requests now.

Taehyun doesn't do this for nothing, of course, and the villagers wouldn't care either otherwise but it's about the lovely Chaeyoung who is loved by anyone. It's for her. There's a big poster on the wall behind the piano and there's a written line on it: Every tip is used to make Chaeyoung's dream come true: to make her exhibition happen. P.S. Once you tip, you can request a song and please keep in mind, it's a surprise, Chaeyoung shouldn't know about it.

And she really doesn't know.

"Wow, your songs changed and it looks like everyone loves them," she tells him one day, taken aback by the crowd in the bistro and the happy trot song he's playing.

It looks like the people of Jangdo love the florist girl more than they hate him because they support his plan wholeheartedly. The town hall counselor helps him choose a place, others offer help with the opening ceremony but it's Taehyun who spends half of his days with renovating an old building, so it can look like a gallery. It takes some time but a teenager guy joins him and with his hidden graffiti skills, the walls of the place look so much better than only with plain paint. He asks someone to order a bunch of flowers in Rainbow under a false name and then with a smile, he listens to Chaeyoung chattering his ears off about how happy she is about this.

However, Taehyun’s grand plan doesn't end here. When almost everything is ready, he sends invitations to art critics and journalists in Seoul with a short summary of Chaeyoung's life and photos about a few of her paintings. Only one of them replies though that he's coming but it's enough. Then with the help of the tourist office, they advertise the gallery's opening as one of the biggest events in Jangdo this summer.

"Today they came for the flowers. They liked it very much," Chaeyoung tells him the day before, beaming at him. She still thinks the order is for a fancy wedding.

"I was sure of it. You worked hard with those roses..."

"They were hydrangea and baby's breath, you silly," the florist giggles happily and continues to work on another bouquet.

Silence settles between them but there’s nothing uncomfortable about it. Still, Taehyun fidgets in his seat as he knows it's time. He clears his throat and takes a deep breath.

"Chaeyoung... are you free tomorrow afternoon? I would like to take you somewhere."

The reply comes immediately.

"Sure," the girl smiles at him like she always does when he suggests to do something together. Still, he's relieved.

"I will come for you a little before five. Is it okay? And maybe you could wear something pretty... I mean you are always pretty but..."

"Taehyun," she stops his nervous rambling firmly and the look on her face is nothing but curious. "Is it a date?"

The question catches the musician off guard but then he realizes that it really did sound like asking out. Then it leaves him wondering, would he want this to be a date?

"No... But it can be. If you want," he answers gently with no pressure but she’s just as sneaky as he is.

"Do you want it to be?"

Maybe. Ah no, definitely yes! Yes but I don't deserve you, he thinks but all he can breath out is a shuddering yes.

"Then it's a date," Chaeyoung exclaims loudly and cheerfully, pink blush dusting on her pale cheeks. "I will make sure to be extra pretty just for you."

It makes Taehyun’s heart beat irregularly.

There's only one thing left and it includes Taehyun's most dreaded nightmares: facing Chaeyoung's parents. Like everyone in the village except Chaeyoung, they also know about the exhibition but Taehyun wants to make a proper apology. He's surprised that the girl’s father even agrees to meet and talk with him but he can tell that they only want the best for their daughter and that's something they have in common. They will probably never forgive him but at least they can tolerate him since he has good intentions in his heart. It's Chaeyoung's father in the end who brings the paintings from the wooden cabin to the exhibition venue while her mother helps the not-knowing girl to do her hair.

And when she opens the door 30 minutes before the opening ceremony, she takes his breath away. She wears a light pink dress with rosy lace pattern and a bright flower crown that complements her dark hair really well. But the most beautiful thing on her is her wide smile that she just can’t hold back no matter how hard she tries.

"Wow you... you are beautiful!" Taehyun stumbles upon his words in awe but he doesn’t say more because he can see her mother in the back keeping an eye on them. Without another word, he reaches out when Chaeyoung takes a step closer to get a hold of him.

"Thank you," she mumbles shyly and her hands are absentmindedly mapping out his arm and chest, tugging a little on his only tie, fingers running up his neck into the soft lock of his freshly cut hair in. "Oh you're wearing a smoking and you combed your hair. You must look handsome. Where are we going? Is it a fancy place?"

"You will figure it out," he promises since he knows Chaeyoung memorised the little town’s map by heart, so she’ll know where they are heading soon enough. She just won’t know what’s there.

"Did you rent out the bistro just for us?" she jokes lightheartedly and her laugh’s melody is carried by the sweet summer-scented air.

"Not telling."

Chaeyoung pouts but hooks an arm around his nonetheless as they walk side by side. It’s nice, really nice actually. Taehyun thinks he could get used to this as they talk about such nonsense as the weather or the songs he has played recently.

Adruptly, he stops at one point. "We are here."

"Where?" the girl raises an eyebrow in question and plays with the end of her wavy hair.

"Here. You tell me," he takes her hand in his gently and puts her index finger on the Braille writing at the entrance’s board that says: Park Chaeyoung’s Art Gallery. The girl slides her finger against the caption once, then again and again.

"I... I don't understand."

“Let’s go in,” Taehyun urges her with a soft smile and an even softer hand as he leads her inside of the big hall decorated with her art and her favourite flowers. There are guests already, half of the little village or even more. They are smiling proudly as they look at the beloved girl but nobody says a word like they weren’t even there. It’s all part of the surprise.

"Wait here a little," the pianist instructs the confused artist and he steps ahead, onto the little podium and looks around. For the past three years, he has dealt with severe panic attacks every time many people’s attention was directed at him but now, he only feels calmness as he looks at the girl who made him want to live.

"Ladies and gentlemen, firstly, I would like to thank all of you for coming to this event and helping me create it beforehand. Without you it couldn't have happen. As you already know we are here because of one really talented girl who didn't give up her dreams no matter what happened. She believes in people, she’s capable of forgiveness and she trusts with her whole heart. She’s genuine and she always looks at the bright side of life. She gave my life a new meaning, so I decided to make her dream come too, so she can have the exhibition she deserves. A talent like hers shouldn’t go to waste, it was made to be admired by hundreds. She taught me that there's no such thing that can stop you from dreaming. I was in a dark place before our paths crossed again and she showed me the light. Now I know there's no rainbow without rain, after all and because of her I can finally see the world in colours again. Because of this wonderful, selfless, full of life girl, Park Chaeyoung!"

There's clapping and everyone goes to the girl standing in the middle of the room, speechless and crying as the villagers congratulate her one by one. There are tourists, too, the local news and probably one of the invited art critics. Everyone is so supporting and it makes Taehyun touched. He gets a pat on his back by Minho and Chaeyoung parent’s look so proud while she’s so happy and it’s everything that he has wanted.

It’s just a bonus that when he joins the brand-new gallery owner again, a stranger currently introduces himself to Chaeyoung as an art critic with collector friends.

"Miss Park, my name is Lee Junhong and I sincerely believe that my clients would be interested in buying your art especially since your style is so unique. Your friend knows my contact already but please send me a list of the paintings you are willing to sell and name a price," he leaves his business card in her hand and moves along to take a proper look around.

"Oh my god, I can't believe it. Is this really happening?" Chaeyoung whisper-screams as she grabs his hands. “Am I really not dreaming?”

“No, it’s real. How do you like our date so far?” he asks a little playfully but she only beams at him.

“I love it. Can’t wait for the second one,” she giggles and doesn’t let go of his hand for the rest of the evening. He isn’t perfect. Not at all. But she doesn’t want perfect. She wants him.

Just like she can see colours without opening her eyes, it's the same for the kindness in his heart. Because broken things can be beautiful, too.

 

 


A big thank you for everyone who read this story till the end. I'm really grateful because it had a really different atmophere than most of my stories. If you have constructive criticism, do not hesitate to tell me. Any kind of feedback means a lot. Though, I hope you liked it and thank you again! ♥