Excuse me?

Ideal Inconvenience

 

Yoongi huffed and puffed, sitting on the side of a treadmill, face flush and mouth open. His heart was beating so fast he wasn't sure if he was sitting because of the exhaustion or to reduce the fall damage in case his heart decided to bolt out of his chest. 

"Come on!" Came his instructor's voice, loud and excited, and Yoongi swore he would've told him to off if the kid didn't look fresh out of high school. "You can do one more run! Get your lazy up and let's go!" 

Yoongi cursed under his breath, not moving from where he was still slumped over the treadmill. Why the was he even here, that's not what he was paying a therapist for. He just wanted some pills, why was that woman suggesting him to improve his lifestyle? 

"Mind and body work together, if you neglect one the other suffers as well. You should try to exercise more and get decent amounts of sleep at reasonable hours, then, when you come back, in a few weeks, we can see what else we can do and work from there." Was what she had said, pen between her fingers, adjusting the thick rimmed glasses on the bridge of her nose, and notepad resting on crossed legs while she sat on an armchair; the perfect position to analyze every single move and expression her patients made when laying down on the soft velvet couch that stood against a wall. 

Yoongi raised his gaze at the instructor, Jungkook, the name tag pinned to his tank top read, "I can't do this anymore," he said, voice sounding raspier than usual—some people would call it being out of breath, but not Yoongi, Yoongi would call it "being done with this stupid and wanting to go home". 

"Of course you can! Believe in yourself! Get up, let's go!" It looked like Jungkook had gotten ten times more determined, changing from slightly reprimanding to wholeheartedly encouraging Yoongi to succeed at his training. It was kind of adorable how his eyes lit up and his arms raised above his head, hands tied into fits with the muscles in his arms flexing along with the movement. 

Yoongi murmured a "what the ", both to the cheering words and to the boy's physique, but made no indication of moving. His heart was still beating fast and his limbs were shaking. He was sure he'd fall flat on his face if he only dared to reach out to something to support himself if he decided to get up. 

"No," he said again, "not happening. That's enough for today." And by "today" he meant for the rest of the month. The year. His entire life. He was never coming back to this gym again, no, thank you. That was more than enough, even his therapist would be proud of him, he exercised until he couldn't stand on his own legs, it was more than enough. 

"What are you talking about, it's not enough! You came here to surpass your limits and now you want to flee? Nope, that is what's not happening, not on my watch. So take a deep breath and let's start with the push-ups instead, I'll count them for you." Jungkook said, stepping in front of Yoongi. 

The shorter man gave him a skeptical look. Was this kid he just met trying to tell him what to do? 

"What?" 

"I said you're not stopping until I say so, now get up and give me those push-ups!" 

Yoongi scoffed. This kid had some guts; not that it mattered, he wasn't planning on staying one more second in this place. He was going to go home, prepare himself a nice bath with one of the bath bombs he bought just last week and sleep for three days straight. Then he'd go to his therapist's appointment and demand the pills he was after since day one. 

He got up on wobbly legs, another stream of curses leaving his mouth. For a moment Jungkook's face seemed to hold the same enthusiasm and hope from before, the poor boy thinking Yoongi was about to follow his instructions, but it didn't last long since soon Yoongi was limping his way towards the gym's entrance. Jungkook raised his eyebrows, mouth gaping trying to find the right words to make the other change his mind. 

After spending more effort than necessary to drag his legs across the gym's mats, Yoongi finally reached the reception desk, plopping both arms on top of the wooden surface with a huge sigh. The girl sitting behind the counter raised her gaze from her phone and gave him a strange look. He was sweating and panting and his face was probably as red as it was when he decided to ditch his training; he didn't care, though, it wasn't like he was going to see her ever again—and even if he were, he wasn't the type of person to give a damn about people's opinions of him. 

"I want to cancel my membership." Yoongi hissed after a couple of minutes of motionlessly leaning and breathing into his forearms. 

A gasp immediately came from behind him and when looked to see who it was he was met with the sight of Jungkook, awkwardly standing a few centimeters away from him, eyes wide. 

The girl cleared and Yoongi turned back to her, Jungkook's image still in his head. What a weird kid. 

"I see you signed up for it last week," she said in a monotone voice that's typical from people with jobs like hers, "and today was your first day here?" 

Yoongi sighed and nodded. 

And now it's when she'd try to make him change his mind, he thought with a small grunt. 

"Did something happen?" She started, "Are you interested in different services? Maybe you want to change your exercises routine? We can also try to change the time you come in if it's conflicting with your work schedule?" The girl's monotone voice continued throughout all of her questions, and so did Yoongi's "no, thank you" as an answer for each one of them. 

"Listen, I just don't want to do this anymore, I should've thought more before getting this membership, it was a mistake. So can you please just cancel it for me?" Yoongi sounded nothing but exhausted now. Why was this so difficult? He made a mental note to complain about this to his therapist, and perhaps, he unhappily mused, she'd tell him that he needed to go out more and learn how to interact with workers, and hell, maybe even how to interact with people in general. 

The girl nodded once, not at all bothered that she didn't manage to convince a client to stay at the gym. 

"Wait, no!" Jungkook shouted, probably louder than he intended to, if the pink flush that covered his cheeks when everyone around them looked at him questioningly was anything to go by. 

The girl stopped typing on her computer and raised an eyebrow. She looked back and forth between Yoongi and Jungkook, waiting for some signal to either continue what she was doing or to stop it altogether. 

Yoongi stared at Jungkook, fixing him with a cold glare. "Excuse me?" 

"I just-" Jungkook tried to explain himself, but stopped, opting instead to get close to Yoongi and grip him gently by the arm, guiding him towards the gym's entrance. 

"Excuse me? What do you think you're doing?" Yoongi repeated again, incredulous, letting himself be dragged by Jungkook despite the ridiculousness of the situation. He looked behind his shoulders, seeing from the corner of his eye Jungkook telling the girl to "please, get his request on hold? Or something? Thanks!" as she rolled her eyes, closed the tab she was just typing on and went back to watching a drama on her phone. 

As they exited the place, Jungkook loosened the grip on Yoongi's arm, but still kept him in close distance, fingers only brushing the other's skin. 

"Sorry, it's just- People usually don't bail on me, you know." 

Yoongi glanced to his side, where Jungkook walked while looking at the ground, or at his shoes, or at anywhere that wasn't Yoongi's face. 

"What do you mean?" He caught himself asking and, again, he made another mental note to his therapist, "I was suddenly interested in hearing what a kid had to say, a kid that had literally dragged me out of that gym I just told you I don't want to go back to. Is that normal?" 

Startled, Jungkook came to a halt. He was taking his time to gather everything he wanted to say and put all the words in a cohesive sentence, he wasn't expecting Yoongi to be listening to him at all, let alone seem even interested in his explanation. 

When Jungkook abruptly stopped walking Yoongi's steps slowed down until he stood at arm's length in front of him. With a blank expression he waited for the struggling boy to keep talking, more curious than mad at this point. 

"Well, huh…" Jungkook started, still looking down. Then he cleared his throat, stared at Yoongi's face, swallowed, resumed, "People that come to the gym usually have some sort of agenda? They want to look good, lose weight, build muscles, and they all put so much dedication into accomplishing these things that I'm the one that has to stop them sometimes." 

Yoongi mentally scoffed. Of course people would go to crazy lengths to achieve the perfect body, working themselves out into exhaustion was probably just the tip of the iceberg and he wasn't surprised in the slightest. But what did all that have to do with him? 

"So, when I saw you slacking off—" Jungkook continued, scratching the back of his neck in a clear indication that only now he was realizing how dumb this whole thing seemed, "though 'slacking off' is probably not the right term here—the only thing on my mind was 'how does he expect to get anything done and reach his goal at this rate, I need to get him to work harder', but by the looks of it I guess I was wrong in my assumptions. I'm sorry." 

Yoongi only stared at him, confusion written all over his face. To think this buff instructor, albeit young and with the cutest bunny teeth he had ever seen, would go all the way to stop him from cancelling ship and even apologize for doing his job—though, sure, he could've been less of a prick about it, Yoongi's mind supplied, helping him remind himself he shouldn't be falling for the other's soft looks so easily—made his heart swell a little in his chest. And, Yoongi realized with a defeated grin, there it went all of his resolutions to not fall for the younger man. 

"To make it up for you I think we could go for some coffee? My treat?" Jungkook offered, careful, almost afraid, but still hopeful, and shuffled from foot to foot. Yoongi blinked. 

He had met Jungkook just today and had barely spoken to him, so shouldn't there be some rules as to when it's socially acceptable to have coffee with an almost complete stranger? Shouldn't you at least be on the "nod at each other in greeting if seen in a public space" basis? Or, even better, have at least exchanged a few words first? (In Yoongi's book, "Now run ten laps around the mat!" and "I can't ing feel my legs anymore!" don't really count as exchanging a few words, in fact, they hardly even count as human interaction to him—not that he'd be an expert on the matter). 

Immersed in his thoughts, Yoongi contemplated his options—which in the end were only two, yes or no, so it shouldn't really be that complicated to choose, but for some reason it just was

No more than a couple of minutes passed, but for Jungkook they felt like eternity and maybe, just maybe, he was starting to regret his offer. 

Jungkook has never been a forward type of person, perhaps only when he was fairly drunk or in the presence of his close friends (or both, probably both), or when he was doing his job—which didn't really count as being forward considering it was, well, his job, and he was being paid to scream at people to "stop slacking around and pull!"—, so soon his fidgeting increased, and not only were his feet incessantly tapping on the ground, he also couldn't help the wriggling of his fingers and the careless biting of his bottom lip. 

Yoongi had made no indication of having acknowledged what he had said and Jungkook did what anyone in his situation—or actually, anyone with a personality similar to his, a mix of shyness and insecurity—would, murmured a "sorry, I'm going to go back inside now" and started to walk towards the gym, head hung low. 

And that simple act seemed to do the trick and wake Yoongi from his inner debate; the elder shook his head, watching dumbfounded as Jungkook walked away from him in slow steps. 

"Wait!" Yoongi blurted, loud enough for Jungkook to hear and stop, and flashed the boy a small smile when he finally turned to look back at him, "What were you saying about that coffee…?"

 

==========

 

A/N: The second chapter is already finished and I'll post it sometime next week, see ya then!