Part 2

Where You Are

      Junmyeon woke slowly the following day. It was like no matter how much he slept, he still felt exhausted. There was a constant, dull ache in his chest as well. The curse was really starting to affect him. He didn't even know how much time he had left because everything seemed to blend together under the sea. All he knew was he was running out of time, and he didn't know if Baekhyun felt even the slightest bit of affection for him. Even though he agreed to this fate himself, he was still terrified of what would happen if the curse took him for good.

 

      Someone gently shook Junmyeon's shoulder and he opened his eyes to find Baekhyun smiling softly at him. He felt Baekhyun brush his fingers through his hair, which didn't accomplish much since it still floated in the water. Junmyeon loved the physical contact though. He sighed and snuggled closer to Baekhyun, earning a laugh from the other.

      “Come on, Junmyeon! You've already slept in so late!”

      “I'm still tired,” Junmyeon whined. “Just a little longer?”

      “I went and got you breakfast already, so you can't go back to sleep! I want to bring you somewhere today,” Baekhyun pouted.

      “Really?” Junmyeon asked, forcing himself to sit up. His body was so sluggish, he was sure Baekhyun noticed. “Where did you want to take me?”

      “It's a secret. You've got to eat first, then I'll take you there. It's a bit of a swim, so don't spend too much time eating.”

 

      Junmyeon hummed in agreement and Baekhyun passed him a generous amount of seaweed. The pain in his chest would get worse for brief moments, and Junmyeon tried his best to play off the pain, but he still had to stop and hold his chest. Baekhyun would give him concerned looks, but Junmyeon would always lie and say he swallowed too big a bite of seaweed. He wasn't sure if Baekhyun bought his lie, but he thankfully didn't press the subject further.

 

      Following breakfast, Baekhyun hurriedly ushered Junmyeon out of the grotto and began leading him to the mystery place. No matter how hard Junmyeon swam, he couldn't seem to keep up with Baekhyun. It felt like his strength had completely left his body. Baekhyun must have noticed him lagging behind, because he slowed down and grabbed Junmyeon's hand, intertwining their fingers, and began to pull him along. Even while he was struggling to swim, Junmyeon found himself feeling flustered just by Baekhyun's touch. After spending so much time with Baekhyun, he would have thought he'd be able to keep his cool even just a bit better. Instead, he'd fallen so much harder for Baekhyun.

 

      Finally, Baekhyun began swimming towards the surface of the water. When they met with air, Junmyeon's eyes widened as he was faced with a very familiar looking sight. Standing before him a short distance away was the massive castle wall. If Junmyeon's mental map served him correctly, they were on the other side of the wall beside the small garden. Why had Baekhyun taken him here of all places?

 

      Baekhyun led him over to a small hole at the base of the wall where it met the water, then crawled inside, motioning for Junmyeon to follow him. He knew where this hole led. It led to the grate in the garden that allowed a small amount of sea water to pool. Had Baekhyun figured out his identity after all and was going to confront him about it? When Baekhyun got to the grate, he relaxed against the wall and turned to smile at Junmyeon.

      “Cool little spot, isn't it?” He asked. Junmyeon nodded dazedly. “Look over there, at that hole in the wall.”

      “The window?” Junmyeon asked.

      “Is that what they're called?”

      “Mhm. What about the window?”

      “There was a guy that I met...Just once. He used to live in that place there.”

      “I see...”

      “He was a human,” Baekhyun said softly. “I guess you could say I was really fond of him...Do you think I'm a freak?”

      “No, why would I?”

      “Because I pined after a human. If Jongdae and Chanyeol knew, I'd never hear the end of it from them. It's not very wise to like a human.”

      “I'm not Jongdae or Chanyeol though.”

      “I know...That's why I'm telling you this. It's my big secret, I guess.”

      “So, you said you met this guy once. How?” Junmyeon asked, feigning ignorance.

 

      He wanted to know what Baekhyun thought of him, or who he used to be at least. It didn't seem like Baekhyun realized that Junmyeon was that very human, understandably so.

      “He was on a ship,” Baekhyun continued. “It was sinking, and he was rushing around trying to save all the other humans. He was really brave, Junmyeon. I couldn't stop watching him...Then he spotted me.”

      “What did you do?”

      “I froze. I was really scared because he was motioning to me like he was going to come over...But then he got hurt and fell into the water. Before I knew it, I'd swam over to him to bring him to shore.”

      “You were really brave too. Were you scared?”

      “Not really. It's weird, isn't it? Merfolk fear humans, but when I saw him, all I could feel was admiration and comfort. There was nothing to fear. At least that's what I told myself. Maybe I was being naive.”

      “No, I don't think so. You understand your feelings best, right?”

      “Yeah, I guess...”

      “What happened next?”

      “I stayed with him until he woke up. He reached out to touch me, but I heard other humans coming, so I fled. Just because I didn't fear him, didn't mean I didn't fear the others.”

      “That was probably for the best,” Junmyeon sighed, remembering well how alone he felt when Baekhyun quickly rushed back into the sea.

      “I wanted to see him more though...I was worried about him, but I also just wanted to see him. I wanted to talk to him so badly, but I would always get too nervous and hide. I would watch him from this spot. He always seemed so troubled and sad when he stared out the window. I'd never wanted to be able to go to someone as badly as I did when I saw him. Does that make me strange?”

      “No. It just means you had feelings for him. There's nothing strange about that.”

      “For a while, I thought it might be mutual,” Baekhyun whispered, twiddling his thumbs. “He saw me one time and looked like he was going to come down to me. I was scared to finally confront him though, so I ran...That was all I ever did. After that, he'd come to the shore in the evenings. I like to think it was because he was looking for me. Stupid, huh?”

      “No...I think he was looking for you,” Junmyeon soothed. “It sounds like he really wanted to see you too. Did you see him often on the beach?”

      “Yes. Every day. I would sit in a small alcove and watch him. He was so beautiful, Junmyeon. I'd never felt so mesmerized by a person before, let alone a human.”

      “He sounds amazing...”

 

      They'd been so close to each other, so many times. It was agonizing for Junmyeon to realize. All this time, Baekhyun had been pining after him for what he used to be, and he'd been so eager to meet Baekhyun, he'd given up the only thing that Baekhyun had probably been attracted to. Junmyeon liked to think he was still the same person on the inside, but looking as hideous as he did now, it was a wonder Baekhyun let him get close at all. Junmyeon knew Baekhyun wasn't that shallow, but he couldn't help but feel the boy would never love him as he was. If he'd admired Junmyeon's old self so much, Junmyeon couldn't see Baekhyun giving that up for the current him. He couldn't win against himself. It was a little pitiful to think about.

 

      Junmyeon wanted so badly to tell Baekhyun that he was the human he'd pined after, but the curse would take him instantly. Even the thought of spilling everything was making the pain in Junmyeon's chest flare up. He would just have to make himself appear just as noble and goodhearted in Baekhyun's eyes as he had as a human. Was that even possible to do? What if Baekhyun just never felt attracted to him in any way, too hung up on the beautiful prince he pined after? Perhaps this would be how Junmyeon met his end after all.

      “I should have talked to him when I had the chance,” Baekhyun sighed. “Now he's gone and I don't know if he'll ever come back.”

      “Gone?” Junmyeon repeated.

      “Yes. He hasn't been in the window for a long time. Do you think I scared him away? I just wanted to see him. That was all...”

      “No, I doubt you scared him away,” Junmyeon comforted. “This place that he lives is a castle.”

      “I was wondering if it was. We have a castle under the sea, but only the king of the merfolk lives there with his family.”

      “It's similar with human royalty.”

      “You even know about human royalty?” Baekhyun asked in awe. Junmyeon nodded slowly.

      “I don't think he went away because he was avoiding you. He was a prince, Baekhyun. They have a lot of responsibilities to the kingdom and the king. Maybe he just went to a distant land for something...or maybe the king decided to marry him off.” Junmyeon couldn't help the hint of bitterness in his voice.

      “Marry him off?” Baekhyun asked sadly. “I don't want him to be married though...”

      “I'm sure he didn't either,” Junmyeon sighed. “But with royal blood, comes great responsibilities. Your life isn't yours to govern.”

      “That's cruel,” Baekhyun mumbled. “But I guess it happens in our kingdom as well. I don't really go to the grand city, so I don't see much of the royalty, but I don't really think they get to choose who they have relationships with. Only what offspring results from it.”

      “Do merfolk get married?” Junmyeon asked, curious if it was only a human thing.

      “Sometimes. Marriage is a lot less permanent than in the human world from what I understand of it. It's more like an agreement to be together for a period of time in our culture. If things go sour or they go their separate ways, that's that.”

      “I think that might be simpler in the long run. Marriage in the human world is fairly permanent, especially if you're royalty. That relationship becomes like a binding contract between two different countries or towns. Of course, for less important couples, it can be a wonderful thing, but when things go bad, it's a lot harder to escape the marriage.”

      “Then why do humans do it?”

      “I don't know,” Junmyeon said softly. “I've tried to figure that out myself for some time, but it just seems like a trap. Perhaps it would be different if you met the person of your dreams. Then I guess you'd never want to be apart from them.”

      “I want the prince to come back,” Baekhyun sighed. “Just one last time, so I could talk to him...”

      “Maybe he will,” Junmyeon encouraged.

      “You're really not at all disturbed that I'm so hung up on a human?”

      “No. Like I said, feelings and love are things that come naturally. It's far more painful to deny those feelings than it is to acknowledge them.”

      “Why are you so understanding?”

      “I...” Junmyeon paused, trying to think of the right words. “I fell in love with someone who was different from me as well.”

      “Really!? You mean like a human?”

      “Yeah, something like that.”

      “Then...Did you ever talk to that person? Did things go well?” Junmyeon said nothing, simply smiled sadly, wishing he could tell Baekhyun the full truth. “Oh...They didn't?” Baekhyun asked, noting Junmyeon's expression.

      “Maybe I'll have better luck in the future,” Junmyeon said, trying to bring the mood back up just a bit. “And maybe you'll find your prince someday.”

      “That would be nice,” Baekhyun muttered. He leaned closer to Junmyeon and nudged his shoulder. “Thank you for listening to me.”

      “Of course. Any time.”

      “I'm lucky you found us,” Baekhyun said, laughing a bit at the end.

      “I'm glad I found you too.”

 

      Junmyeon exhaled, the pain in his chest spiking suddenly. It took all of his self control not to bend over in pain, but he didn't want to worry Baekhyun. It wouldn't do him any good since Junmyeon couldn't tell him the truth, so it was for the best to hide it. If Baekhyun didn't fall in love with him, then it just wasn't meant to be. At least he would die knowing Baekhyun was in love with him once.

 

      Baekhyun leaned his head on Junmyeon's shoulder, and the pain in his chest subsided just a bit. Other than gentle nudges on his shoulder, Baekhyun wasn't a particularly affectionate person, though he was still more so than the average merfolk. Junmyeon had learned that through his interactions with Jongdae and Chanyeol. Having him leaning on Junmyeon's shoulder like this was a blessing, and Junmyeon didn't want it to end. Unfortunately, shortly after, Baekhyun decided it was time they go home. The swim back to Baekhyun's grotto was almost too much for Junmyeon to handle, and he was grateful that Baekhyun held his hand the entire way back. Perhaps he'd caught on that Junmyeon wasn't doing so well after all.

 

      They spent the rest of the day talking within Baekhyun's grotto. Junmyeon was too tired to go out and do much else, so Baekhyun ended up bringing seaweed back to the grotto. There was no way he didn't have at least a little suspicion that something was wrong with Junmyeon, but he didn't ask. Junmyeon gave him reassuring smiles and did his best to act like nothing was wrong other than being exhausted. Would Baekhyun be sad if the curse killed him? Would he miss him? Would he cry? Junmyeon wasn't sure whether he wanted Baekhyun to mourn for him or not. He wanted to be loved and missed, but he didn't want Baekhyun to be hurting alone.

 

      He just wanted to live happily with Baekhyun. He knew he'd gotten a lot closer to him, but it still felt so hopeless as his time became shorter and shorter and he learned more about Baekhyun's feelings. Still, he didn't regret signing the contract and meeting Baekhyun. He would never regret this.

 

~*~

      Junmyeon's exhaustion only grew as the days went on. The pain in his chest became constant, but he still hid it from Baekhyun. His body felt like it would give out soon, and no matter how much he slept, his energy never came back. Baekhyun had gotten used to getting up on his own to get breakfast and bring it to Junmyeon. He would let Junmyeon sleep as long as it took for him to wake up naturally, which Junmyeon appreciated. He felt bad for leaving Baekhyun to entertain himself during those times though. Even their trips and daily activities had been toned down and kept close to the grotto. Baekhyun had been worried about Junmyeon being too tired to make it back if they went too far. He still hadn't said anything about Junmyeon's sudden downward turn, but he'd gotten fairly overprotective as a result of it. Junmyeon felt bad for putting Baekhyun out like this, but he also couldn't deny how happy the attention and care made him. It made him hope that perhaps there was something more between them after all.

 

      Junmyeon woke up one morning to find Baekhyun staring at a small shell, tilting it different ways to try and get different colors to appear. Junmyeon pushed himself into a sitting position slowly, greeting Baekhyun with a gentle smile.

      “You're awake,” Baekhyun said softly. “Good morning.”

      “Morning,” Junmyeon sighed, scooting closer so he could see the shell.

      “I found this when I got our breakfast this morning,” Baekhyun explained showing the shell to Junmyeon. “It's pretty, isn't it?”

      “Mhm. It is.”

      “I'm going to put it with the rest of my shells.”

 

      Baekhyun got off his bed shell and lowered himself to the ground, placing his new shell beside one of the many others decorating the floor. Junmyeon reached for a piece of seaweed that Baekhyun had set aside for him and nibbled on it. He glanced around the grotto at all the shells on the ground.

      “Did you find every single one of these shells?” He asked.

      “Of course! I've always had a bit of a liking for pretty colored things. If they shine, it's even better. Jongdae and Chanyeol like them too, but they don't decorate their homes with them like I do...Is it weird to do that?”

      “No, I think it's pretty natural. I mean, it makes the place feel more comfortable for you to live in, right? It's your own personal touch.”

      “I'm glad you get it,” Baekhyun said with a wide smile. He swam back to Junmyeon's side, nestling beside him closer than before. “I wish I could have showed you the pretty stones I found on a sunken ship,” he sighed.

      “Pretty stones?”

      “Yes. They sparkled a lot and were all different colors. They were in a chest kinda like mine, but it was much smaller.”

      “I wonder if it was jewelry,” Junmyeon commented.

      “What's that?”

      “They're usually pretty gems and beads on some sort of string or chain. They can be worn around the neck, wrist, or finger. Sometimes they even hang from ears.”

      “Do they have a purpose?”

      “Sometimes they have special meanings, kinda like flowers, but their main purpose is just to be pretty.”

      “They were definitely pretty,” Baekhyun sighed. “But stupid Jongdae has slippery fingers and dropped it in a trench on the way back.”

      “Have you tried to get them?”

      “No. That trench is really scary. It's pitch black and a really strong current flows through it. For all I know, the chest is long gone.”

      “Why don't we look for it then?”

      “Junmyeon, are you serious?”

      “Of course I am. You want them back, right? So let's try.”

      “Junmyeon...Are you sure you're even up for this? The trench is kinda far and it's going to be a rough swim through it, even for me...”

      “I'll be fine. I want to do this, Baekhyun.”

      “Alright...Finish eating and we'll leave. I'm going to go pick some more seaweed so we have some to eat later on. We're going to be at the trench for most of the day cuz it's pretty big.”

 

      Baekhyun swam out of the grotto and Junmyeon ate his breakfast as quickly as possible. Truthfully, he didn't know if he was up for such a journey today, but he wanted to do something nice for Baekhyun before it was too late. If Baekhyun loved beautiful stones, Junmyeon would probably search the entire trench for them. It wasn't even a matter of wooing Baekhyun anymore. Junmyeon just wanted to do anything and everything he could for him. He loved Baekhyun more than he'd ever loved anyone.

 

      When Junmyeon had finished, he met Baekhyun outside the grotto and they set off for the trench. Baekhyun hadn't been kidding when he said it was a long swim. Junmyeon was exhausted by the time they got to the trench, so Baekhyun pulled out their lunch and they ate together, looking down into the dark rift. When Junmyeon had rested enough to feel like he could continue, he leaned over the edge, trying to make out any kind of terrain in the darkness.

      “I told you it was dark,” Baekhyun sighed. “Do you still want to go in there? You don't know what kind of fish live down there...”

      “I'm guessing bioluminescent fish,” Junmyeon said simply.

      “What...?”

      “Ah, fish that create their own light. That's the only way they could live down there, right?”

      “Yeah, I guess...But we can't create our own light Junmyeon, so how are we supposed to see?”

      “Look down there, on that ledge,” Junmyeon stated, pointing to an illuminated ledge of the trench wall. “There's a plant growing over there that glows. Why don't we take it with us?”

      “That could work,” Baekhyun agreed. “That still doesn't stop the really strong current that flows through the trench though...”

      “We're just going to have to fight our way through that.”

      “Are you going to be ok?” Baekhyun asked nervously.

      “I'll be fine. And you'll help me if I'm not, right?”

      “Yeah...” Baekhyun muttered, looking like he wanted to protest more.

      “Let's just see how far we get, ok?”

 

      Baekhyun nodded in agreement and Junmyeon swam into the trench over to the ledge with the glowing plant. He carefully plucked it and held it up to Baekhyun. The plant had a blue glow to it, and the blue hue it cast on Baekhyun was beautiful. Every single instance of Baekhyun was beautiful to Junmyeon. He had to enjoy every second with him until the end. It would be hard to let it all go.

 

      Thankfully, Baekhyun's expectant gaze jolted Junmyeon out of his thoughts, and he turned his attention back to the trench. He held his free hand out and Baekhyun took it, gripping it tightly. Slowly, they descended into the trench together. Looking around for anything interesting. The light from the plant wasn't strong, but it was enough for them to see in front of them.

 

      About halfway down the trench, they encountered the strong current. It had hit them suddenly, pulling them both apart and towards opposite walls of the trench. They both grabbed onto small, protruding ledges along the rough wall in order to not be carried away by the current. Junmyeon struggled to hold on to both the plant and the wall, since he had no clue where he would end up if the current carried him away. He had to stay strong.

      “Junmyeon!” Baekhyun called out, voice panicked.

      “I'm ok! Are you?”

      “I'm fine, but what now? Should we climb back up the trench wall away from the current?”

      “Climb down!”

      “Are you serious!? What if the current doesn't let up even at the bottom!?”

      “Then we'll figure it out when we get there!”

      “Junmyeon!”

      “Trust me.”

 

      Baekhyun sighed, but nodded. Slowly, they carefully climbed down the wall, their tails being pushed and pulled in the current. It took a lot of time and energy, and Baekhyun was almost certain Junmyeon would collapse from exhaustion and be carried off by the current, but to his surprise, he kept holding on. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the current lifted up, and Baekhyun felt soft sand underneath his tail as they reached the bottom of the trench. Instantly, Baekhyun rushed over to Junmyeon and inspected him in the light of the plant, noting a few scratches on his arms and torso.

      “Are you ok?”

      “I'm fine,” Junmyeon answered softly, a smile making its way onto his face.

      “You got scratched. Was it from the trench wall?”

      “Mhm. But it's nothing huge. You've got scratches on you too.”

      “Yeah, but...” Baekhyun argued, cutting himself off. He didn't know how to explain himself being so overprotective.

      “I'm ok,” Junmyeon soothed once more. “Let's look for your chest.”

      “The current probably carried it away,” Baekhyun sighed. “Why are we even doing this Junmyeon?”

      “Let's look around this area, and if it's not here, let's follow the current, ok? It's bound to be here somewhere!”

 

      Baekhyun sighed, but he let Junmyeon lead him around all the same. He'd realized by this point that trying to convince Junmyeon otherwise was pointless. He'd just have to let Junmyeon exhaust himself and carry him home when he had the chance. Junmyeon seemed determined to keep going though. Baekhyun was actually pretty surprised for how tired he'd been lately.

 

      They searched the area only to have no luck in finding the small chest, so Junmyeon began tugging Baekhyun along, following the direction of the current above them. Baekhyun didn't even know where the trench ended. It was too dark down there to tell what time of day it was either. He had no idea how long they'd been down there or how long they'd traveled along the bottom of the trench. All he knew was he was starting to get tired, which meant Junmyeon probably wasn't holding up so well either.

 

      After another long period of time, the walls of the trench seemed to become less towering. It took a while for Baekhyun to realize the trench was becoming shallower and wider, and the strong current above them weaker. It was also becoming lighter as they got to shallower ground. Finally, the walls of the trench came to an end, letting out into a wide, basin-like area. Baekhyun stared around, taking in the new sight. Junmyeon, on the other hand, kept his eyes glued to the ground and began searching. He sifted through the sand, figuring that the current had brought a lot of it with it. The chest Baekhyun was talking about was probably buried underneath a layer of sand. As if to prove his point right then and there, his finger brushed away sand to reveal something wooden underneath. He quickly dug the sand away to reveal a small chest.

      “Baekhyun!” Junmyeon exclaimed. Baekhyun swam over to him and gasped.

      “You actually found it!? I can't believe it...”

      “Neither can I, honestly,” Junmyeon laughed tiredly. “I was getting ready to give up.”

      “I'm glad we didn't,” Baekhyun said timidly. “I don't know where we are though...”

      “We can follow the trench back.”

      “Let's swim above it though. I don't want to go through that current again and I don't think you'd be able to.”

      “Yeah, you're probably right...”

      “Hold on to the chest, alright? I'll lead us home.”

 

      Junmyeon nodded, holding the chest tightly. Baekhyun took the plant from his hand and intertwined their fingers. After that, he began to swim to the top of the trench walls. They followed the trench back for quite some time before they got to a place where Baekhyun recognized. After that, the long trek back to his small grotto began.

 

      Junmyeon started lagging behind halfway home from the trench, so Baekhyun was practically tugging him along. Baekhyun turned to check on him and instantly noticed how much trouble Junmyeon was having trying to swim at the same pace as Baekhyun. If they didn't keep this pace though, they wouldn't make it home before dark. Baekhyun pulled Junmyeon closer and wrapped the other's arm over his shoulder and placed his own hand on Junmyeon's waist.

      “Am I too slow?” Junmyeon asked tiredly. Baekhyun shook his head and smiled.

      “I want to help you. You helped me get my chest back, so let me help you, ok?”

 

      Junmyeon nodded tiredly and Baekhyun began to swim again. Junmyeon still swam as well, but Baekhyun was providing most of the power. This was the longest their bodies had been pressed together like this, and Junmyeon cursed his heart for racing. He was too tired to deal with giddy feelings. At least Baekhyun couldn't tell how hard his heart was pounding. Junmyeon was starting to think Baekhyun would assume he was having a heart problem with how lethargic and weak he'd become.

 

      Finally, Baekhyun's little grotto came into view, and they both rushed triumphantly inside. Baekhyun immediately laid Junmyeon down to rest, then swam out to get dinner for the both of them. When he came back, he wasn't at all surprised to find Junmyeon already dozing off. As soon as he sat down on his shell beside him though, Junmyeon pushed himself back up into a sitting position. As they nibbled on their seaweed, Baekhyun took various pieces of jewelry out of the chest and Junmyeon explained what type of stone it was as well as where the jewelry was worn. Baekhyun liked the necklaces the most.

 

      Eventually, Baekhyun pulled out a necklace with a sapphire set in a simple, but beautiful silver pendent. He held it up to Junmyeon like he always did, awaiting an explanation. This time, Junmyeon took the necklace from Baekhyun to observe it closer.

      “This is sapphire,” he explained. “It's a very deep blue stone.”

      “It's beautiful,” Baekhyun commented.

      “Do you want to know how to put it on?”

      “Yes!”

 

      Junmyeon showed Baekhyun how to undo the clasp, then held both ends up, positioning them on either side of Baekhyun's neck. He refastened it in the back and let his fingers slide along Baekhyun's skin as he brought them back to his side. Baekhyun gripped the floating pendent in his fingers, looking down at it.

      “I think I understand why humans wore these. They're so pretty.”

      “Mhm,” Junmyeon hummed. “Sapphire goes well with your tail.”

      “You think?” Baekhyun asked playfully.

      “You're beautiful,” was all Junmyeon replied with.

 

      Baekhyun felt his cheeks flush again, and his stomach twisted in a strange, elated sort of way. It was only when Junmyeon told him those words that he felt this happy. Baekhyun was surprisingly shy and easily flustered, however, so rather than thinking of a worthy response to Junmyeon's kind words, he went back to the chest, pulling out the last piece of jewelry inside. He held it up timidly.

      “What about this one?” He asked, his voice sounding a little shaky. Junmyeon seemed somewhat disappointed for a second, but he masked it well, focusing on the necklace instead.

      “That's a diamond. It's extremely valuable and can hold a lot of different meanings to it.”

      “Extremely valuable,” Baekhyun mumbled. “Then this one will be yours.”

      “Hm?”

 

      Baekhyun struggled a bit to undo the clasp, but finally, he got the two ends apart and wrapped the necklace around Junmyeon's neck. After a little more struggling, he got it fastened and rested his hands gently on Junmyeon's shoulders.

      “You're beautiful,” Baekhyun whispered.

 

      Junmyeon's eyes widened, never expecting to hear those words from Baekhyun's mouth. It was probably just because he was wearing the necklace, but he still wanted to savor the moment all the same. He looked down at the necklace and smiled shyly. Baekhyun's hands remained on his shoulders, making Junmyeon ache for more. He wanted to hold Baekhyun close. He wanted to kiss him. He couldn't dampen the moment by pushing too far though. This was more than enough to make him happy.

      “Thank you,” Junmyeon mumbled bashfully. Baekhyun smiled widely. He leaned closer and his smile slowly shifted to a concerned expression.

      “You must be tired after everything today, right?”

      “Yes...”

      “Then get some rest,” Baekhyun urged, gently pushing Junmyeon down so he was laying on the shell. “You were amazing today.” Junmyeon smiled at the comment.

      “Thank you...Will you lay with me?”

      “Of course!”

 

      Baekhyun swam over to his large chest and deposited the smaller one inside. After that, he lowered himself down beside Junmyeon, closer than he normally slept. They stared into each other's eyes for a moment, their necklaces hovering in the water.

      “Tomorrow, we'll brag to Jongdae and Chanyeol about the trench and the jewelry!” Baekhyun whispered with a mischievous grin. Junmyeon laughed and rolled his eyes.

      “If we must.”

      “It's definitely something to brag over~”

 

      Junmyeon's smile grew and he slowly let his eyelids droop shut. Truthfully, he'd been exhausted and pushing himself for most of the journey, but seeing Baekhyun this happy was worth all of it. His eyes shot open when he felt something nestle against his chest. He glanced down to find Baekhyun's forehead pressed against his chest. Slowly, Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Junmyeon's waist and snuggled closer. This felt like such a dream, Junmyeon almost couldn't believe it. His tired, aching body and Baekhyun's soft, warm skin against his own was enough to convince him that it wasn't though.

      “Thank you so much, Junmyeon,” Baekhyun whispered against his skin.

 

      Junmyeon smiled and sighed into the embrace, wrapping his own arms around Baekhyun and hugging him in response. Finally, he let his eyes close for a much needed sleep. He hoped Baekhyun would be this affectionate and close to him every day. Junmyeon was fairly sure there was hope for himself after all.

 

~*~

      Hyunsik had been turning up every rock in the kingdom, trying to find the prince since his disappearance. The king had sent his own men throughout the kingdom, looking for his son. He was furious, seeing this as rebellion. Hyunsik honestly prayed for Junmyeon's sake that the king's men weren't the ones that found him. His mother had been devastated by the loss, and she'd personally appointed Hyunsik to the task of finding him, giving him access to any resources he might need. It was a race to find the prince, and Hyunsik wanted to be the one to do it. He would be able to protect Junmyeon from his father's wrath long enough to reach a compromise between the two.

 

      The problem was Junmyeon had left absolutely no trail behind. It terrified Hyunsik, because it really seemed as if Junmyeon had ceased to exist all of a sudden. No one had seen anyone fitting his description around any of the surrounding towns. Junmyeon hadn't taken a horse with him, nor had anyone sold a horse to someone looking like him. If he was traveling on foot, there was no way he could have gotten further than the surrounding towns. So where was he? Hyunsik was beginning to lose hope and assume the worst. Perhaps Junmyeon hadn't run away and had instead been kidnapped or killed. Hyunsik's heart broke at the thought. He had to find him.

 

      He was walking the streets of their village, something he often did when he had spare time, scanning for Junmyeon's face in the crowded market and pubs. He never had any luck, but it felt like the only thing he could do at this point. He would often end his searches at the beach, sitting where he and Junmyeon had once sat together, wishing that Junmyeon would somehow magically appear beside him.

 

      This day, however, Hyunsik lingered in the streets just a bit longer. He passed by the old witch's place, and chills ran down his spine at the sight. He knew she was a cruel woman and was up to no good, but the king had given up on banishing her from the kingdom. Hyunsik feared that the only thing that would get rid of her was death itself. He'd heard that she lived and fed off the souls of her contracts though, so the odds of her dying seemed very unlikely.

 

      An idea struck Hyunsik suddenly. While he never wanted to come into contact with her, she might have had some sort of magic that could find Junmyeon. Hyunsik knew he would have to make some sort of deal with her, but perhaps a little request like that wouldn't demand his soul. Even if it did, Hyunsik would gladly give it up if it could bring him news of Junmyeon's whereabouts. The prince meant the world to Hyunsik, and he couldn't help but feel responsible for his disappearance. If he'd done more to dissuade the king from the marriage proposal, perhaps Junmyeon wouldn't have disappeared.

 

      Hyunsik entered the small building, calling out nervously when there was no movement or sound. The place was dark and covered in a thick layer of dust. Hyunsik called out again, but the place seemed to be abandoned. It was then that he spotted a small sign on the desk saying 'The Witch is Out.' This was probably a sign that he shouldn't be in the store and this was his opportunity to get out. When he spotted a large book on her desk beside the sign labeled 'contracts,' however, his desire to flee dwindled a bit. It would be good to know just who she's put under contract and what she demanded of them.

 

      Hyunsik flipped through the pages, grimacing as he skimmed some of the contracts. The witch certainly wasn't merciful when she made deals. Hyunsik's eyes stopped on a certain contract, and for a few seconds, his body seemed to forget how to breathe. He read the name over and over, trying to convince his eyes that they weren't reading it correctly. Junmyeon's name was on this contract. He'd made a deal with the witch. How could he? Junmyeon had never been this foolish.

 

      Hyunsik read the details of the contract, feeling more panicked with each passing second. He'd told Junmyeon not to let his fascination with the merman get the better of him. This was probably the only escape Junmyeon could think of though, and it pained Hyunsik that he hadn't been able to save Junmyeon from this fate. There was little he could do for him now that the witch had him in his clutches. Still, Hyunsik wouldn't let the woman take him. He would find a way to get rid of the witch and save Junmyeon. For now, his only option was to keep an eye on the old woman. She would no doubt lead him to Junmyeon. Sooner rather than later, given the time constraint on Junmyeon's contract. It would be ending in just a couple of days. There really wasn't much time left.

 

      Hyunsik left the building before the witch returned, not wanting to confront her now of all times. He kept his new discovery hidden from both the king and the queen. They would no doubt only agitate the witch and put Junmyeon's life at risk. He would do this alone.

 

~*~

      It had taken Junmyeon a few days of heavy resting to recover from the trip to the trench. They mostly remained inside Baekhyun's little grotto, talking to each other and snuggling together. Baekhyun had finally started asking Junmyeon if he was really alright, and each time Junmyeon would give him a smile and just tell him he was tired and would feel better if he rested more. His chest ached all the time, and he was sure Baekhyun caught him holding it and groaning quietly a couple times, but Baekhyun never pushed the subject beyond asking Junmyeon if he was alright every now and then. Junmyeon could tell he was worried and wanted to say much more though.

 

      When Junmyeon accepted that his state wouldn't be improving anymore, he decided he needed to make the most of what time he could. He still had a little time left to convey his feelings to Baekhyun. Even if Baekhyun never returned them, Junmyeon wanted to at least die with no regrets. He had a plan for where and when he wanted to confess, so now it was just a matter of time.

 

      Baekhyun brought Junmyeon breakfast as always. Junmyeon decided that he wanted to get out and swim around the coral reef with Baekhyun. It was close to his grotto and still one of the most beautiful, memorable places Junmyeon had been, so he wanted to spend just a bit more time there with Baekhyun. Said merman was glued to Junmyeon's side almost constantly, paying more attention to him than to the coral reef. Giving Baekhyun another flower seemed to liven his spirit quite a bit though.

 

      Baekhyun hadn't met Jongdae and Chanyeol for quite some time. Junmyeon had told him he would be fine with seeing them, but Baekhyun wanted to keep it just between the two of them. Jongdae and Chanyeol were really high energy and Baekhyun worried at this point that they would be too much for Junmyeon or accidentally hurt him somehow. He never explained his other reason to Junmyeon, but he'd developed a weird sense of jealousy regarding Junmyeon as well. He didn't want the others to eat up time that Junmyeon could be spending alone with Baekhyun.

 

      Junmyeon was always so much more romantic when Baekhyun was alone with him. Baekhyun had never thought he'd be one for romance, but he was especially weak when it came to Junmyeon. He loved the longing gazes, the gentle touches, the kind words and compliments. He loved the rapid beating of his heart and the weird queasiness in his stomach. He loved Junmyeon.

 

      That was why it was so hard to see him struggling as he was. Baekhyun knew that Junmyeon had been slowing down for a while, and he had a feeling he was in a lot more pain than he was letting on. Baekhyun had never taken care of or loved someone before though, so he was lost on what to do. Should he put his fin down and force Junmyeon to come with him to the nearest mercity to find a medicine man? Or should he watch and wait to see if he gets better like Junmyeon kept asking him to? Baekhyun hated feeling so anxious and like Junmyeon was teetering off the edge of a deep trench. Baekhyun wouldn't be able to bear losing him.

 

      Junmyeon seemed to pay no worry to his physical state though. All his attention was on Baekhyun, showing him corals that Baekhyun had seen almost every day of his life. Junmyeon found them beautiful though, and for that, Baekhyun gained a new appreciation. Junmyeon really had a fascination with the most mundane objects of the ocean, but Baekhyun found himself wanting to show Junmyeon more of them. He figured he could start with giving Junmyeon his own flower as well. It was the only time he left his side while in the coral reef. He found a nearby pink sea flower, and picked it. It would look beautiful with his black hair, Baekhyun thought. Junmyeon still wore his diamond as well. Baekhyun was glad he gave him a stone that matched so well with every color.

 

      When Baekhyun returned, he immediately tucked the flower behind Junmyeon's ear. The latter looked at him in surprise, his fingers running across the flower lightly. Baekhyun's smile was beaming, and Junmyeon knew his cheeks probably matched the color of that flower.

      “What's this?” He asked.

      “I'm giving you a flower,” Baekhyun stated simply. “It looks really pretty on you.”

      “Thank you...”

 

      Baekhyun had started calling Junmyeon beautiful recently, and the latter really didn't know how to interpret it. Junmyeon knew he was hideous. Baekhyun didn't need to try and make him feel better about that fact. Still, whenever Baekhyun said it, it made Junmyeon so unbelievably happy. Junmyeon grabbed Baekhyun hand, intertwining their fingers and giving his hand gentle squeezes. He looked at Baekhyun with a mixture of nervousness and determination.

      “I want to watch the sunset with you today. Can we?”

      “Of course,” Baekhyun agreed. “As long as you feel well enough.”

      “I feel fine,” Junmyeon said softly. “We should head up to the surface now. I don't want to miss it.”

 

      Baekhyun nodded. They'd idled away half the day in his grotto, and they'd been in the coral reef for some time. Junmyeon took a while to swim places now as well, so the sooner they left, the better.

 

      Baekhyun wrapped his arm around Junmyeon's waist and they swam towards the surface together. Junmyeon had been expecting to go to Baekhyun's favorite rock, but instead Baekhyun took him to a small alcove, where Junmyeon assumed he'd watched plenty of sunsets with his unknowing prince. They'd cuddled together on a large rock, making sure they both had a good view. The alcove was inside a small cave of sorts, shielded from direct view. They still had a beautiful view of the ocean and the horizon though.

 

      Junmyeon had leaned tiredly on Baekhyun, taking a few minutes to close his eyes and rest. Normally, he wouldn't be so daring with his physical affection, especially since Baekhyun still seemed a bit on and off with it, but Baekhyun had offered his shoulder and Junmyeon was too tired to argue. Baekhyun's shoulder was surprisingly comfortable, and Junmyeon could have slept there for hours. Baekhyun gently shook his shoulder a short while later though.

      “It's time, Junmyeon,” he said softly.

 

      Junmyeon groaned and lifted his head, looking at the sky to find it painted shades of orange, yellow, and pink. He would never tire of such a view, nor would he ever tire of being beside Baekhyun to witness it. As if to express the same sentiment, Baekhyun wrapped his arm loosely around the back of Junmyeon's waist and snuggled closer, leaning his head on Junmyeon's shoulder instead. Junmyeon dared to slide his arm around Baekhyun's back, resting his hand on Baekhyun's shoulder. He leaned his cheek on the top of Baekhyun's head and sighed happily. Baekhyun had been the one initiating a lot of their hugs lately, and Junmyeon treasured every second.

      “We should do this more often,” Baekhyun whispered. Junmyeon hummed in agreement.

      “We should...”

      “It's much nicer to watch it with you than by myself,” Baekhyun sighed. “You have to promise to watch it with me from now on.”

      “I will,” Junmyeon said, laughing softly. “I wouldn't forgive myself if I missed it. You mean the world to me, Baekhyun.”

      “W-What? I do?” Baekhyun stuttered, very obviously flustered.

      “Mhm. I was miserable before I met you, Baekhyun. You made my life worth living.”

      “Junmyeon...”

      “Thank you for taking me in and caring for me.”

      “You don't have to thank me,” Baekhyun mumbled, snuggling closer. “You made me really happy too. I didn't realize how lonely I was, but I've felt so much happier with you. You mean a lot to me too.”

      “Thank you...I'm happy to hear that. Do I mean more than Chanyeol and Jongdae?” Junmyeon teased. Baekhyun scrunched his nose up.

      “Way more than them!” Baekhyun paused for a second, looking up at him with a suddenly serious expression. “You really mean a lot to me, Junmyeon.”

 

      Junmyeon stared into Baekhyun's eyes, feeling drawn into them. There was a strange tension in the air surrounding them, and Junmyeon realized Baekhyun was a lot closer to him than he'd initially thought. Their sides were pressed against each other, and Junmyeon almost thought he could feel Baekhyun trembling slightly. Was he nervous? Perhaps he was just cold. Then Junmyeon realized how close Baekhyun's face was to his, and how if he just leaned forward a bit more, his lips would brush against Baekhyun's.

 

      That seemed to be just Baekhyun's intention. He leaned closer slowly, lifting his head off of Junmyeon's shoulder and angling it slightly. Junmyeon leaned forward as well, his heart beating in his chest. He hadn't even finished his confession yet, but this was more than he could ever hope for. He saw Baekhyun close his eyes and Junmyeon did the same. He could sense Baekhyun's lips centimeters away from his own. They were going to kiss, and Junmyeon was going to tell Baekhyun how much he loved him. Everything was going so well.

 

      But the curse had other plans. Right before their lips touched, an agonizing pain shot through Junmyeon's chest. He cried out and hunched forward, gripping his chest in hopes to soothe the pain. He felt Baekhyun's arms wrap around his body and hug him close instantly.

      “Junmyeon!” Baekhyun cried frantically. “Junmyeon, what's wrong? Are you in pain?”

      “My chest...It feels like it's on fire.”

      “We should go back,” Baekhyun said shakily, holding him close and rubbing his back. “You need to rest.”

 

      Junmyeon wanted to protest, but the pain was getting worse by the second. He'd never felt so robbed and disappointed before. They were finally getting somewhere, but Junmyeon had hesitated for a second too long. He had at least learned one thing though. He meant something to Baekhyun. That was worth the pain.

 

      Baekhyun carefully slipped off the rock and helped Junmyeon do the same. Junmyeon had to hold on to Baekhyun for support. The pain in his chest seemed to have sapped all the strength from his body. Baekhyun had to swim him the rest of the way back to the grotto. He immediately laid Junmyeon down on his shell, and the latter curled up on himself. Baekhyun sat beside him, holding one of his hands and rubbing his back. Seeking more comfort, Junmyeon snuggled closer, laying his head on Baekhyun's lap.

 

      Baekhyun had never felt so scared in his life. He needed to get Junmyeon to someone that could help. What if nothing could be done though? Was Junmyeon dying? He couldn't be. Baekhyun didn't know what he would do without Junmyeon. He loved him too much to let him go.

 

      Baekhyun rubbed Junmyeon's back, watching helplessly as Junmyeon fought the pain. It didn't seem to be going away, like the other times Baekhyun had noticed Junmyeon hiding pain. What if he'd wasted too much time and noticed too late? Baekhyun couldn't stop worrying.

 

      To Baekhyun's relief, the pain eventually subsided enough for Junmyeon to seemingly get some sleep. Baekhyun had to wonder if the reason Junmyeon was always so tired was because he could never get a decent night's sleep because he was in pain. How much had Baekhyun failed to pick up on all this time?

 

      He laid down beside Junmyeon when he felt the latter had calmed down enough. He kept his arm tightly hooked around his torso, rubbing comforting circles on his back. Baekhyun knew he needed to sleep, but there was very little chance of him doing that when Junmyeon was like this. He dozed every now and then, but with each sudden movement Junmyeon made, Baekhyun was wide awake again, comforting him as best as he could. It was a long, exhausting night, and Junmyeon didn't get any better as the time went on.

 

~*~

      The witch cursed, knocking over a few jars from her shelf in a rage. She could sense the deal between herself and the prince was close to being fulfilled. She couldn't afford to lose another soul. The townspeople had stopped being so easily manipulated by her words, so a deal such as this was hard to come by. Not only that, but it was the prince's soul. If she had his soul, she could use it to manipulate the king and queen. She would have all the power she needed.

 

      The prince was better at romance and flirting than she'd anticipated, however. Even with his face as hideous as she made it, she could feel her curse weakening on him. Had it not struck the hour of the last day and hurt him so, she was sure he would have broken the curse then and there. She needed to do something. He only had 1 day left. If he was so close to breaking the curse, he would no doubt succeed. She needed to stop him, or at least stall him long enough to fail.

 

      She walked over to her bookshelf, scanning the contents of the jars until she stopped on one containing a dust-like substance. She pulled the jar off the shelf and opened the lid. She began mumbling an incantation, and the dust began to swirl out of the jar, taking solid form in front of her. When her spell was finished, a man-like creature had formed in front of her. It had scaly skin, webbed fingers with sharp claws, piercing orange eyes, and a hideous, webbed face. Protruding from its rather large bottom jaw were massive fangs that could easily tear through flesh.

      “Find the prince,” she commanded. “You are not to hurt him. I need his soul as it is. But his little friend...Kill him. There isn't much time, go!”

 

      The monster grunted in response and left the building. It was the middle of the night, so the witch wasn't too worried about anyone coming into contact with her servant, and if they did, it would be their loss. She'd summoned a ruthless monster. She couldn't take any chances. She needed Junmyeon's soul in her possession and that little merman of his dead.

 

~*~

      Junmyeon awoke in the afternoon, feeling less rested than he had when he went to bed the night before. He was almost out of time. The curse was actively killing him now, and his body felt almost numb from the pain. His eyelids were heavy, and it took a great amount of effort to open them. A smile formed on his face when the first thing he saw was Baekhyun's gentle, concerned eyes.

      “You're awake?” Baekhyun asked softly, placing his hand on Junmyeon's cheek. The latter hummed in response.

      “How long did I oversleep?”

      “Not long enough,” Baekhyun said gently. “You still look so tired...It's the afternoon, Junmyeon.”

      “That's too long.”

      “No, it's not. If we leave soon, I could probably still get you to the nearest city and find a medicine man for you.”

      “A medicine man?”

      “Junmyeon, you're sick!” Baekhyun practically cried. “You were in so much pain yesterday and it hasn't stopped, right? You're still hurting...”

      “I'm ok,” Junmyeon soothed.

      “No you're not,” Baekhyun whimpered. “You need help, Junmyeon. Please! Let me take you to the city!”

      “I want to stay here, Baekhyun,” Junmyeon stated. A medicine man wouldn't be able to help him, and he didn't want to waste his last day with Baekhyun traveling in vain.

      “Junmyeon, please! I can't lose you...Let me take care of you, I'm begging you!”

 

      Baekhyun looked so genuinely worried, and Junmyeon couldn't say no to that face. Junmyeon still needed to tell Baekhyun how he felt before it was too late. He didn't want to go anywhere before he expressed those feelings. If Baekhyun rejected him though, then perhaps a medicine man could make his passing less painful. He would go with Baekhyun then.

      “We can go,” Junmyeon said tiredly. He saw Baekhyun's entire body relax in relief. “But I want to rest here for a little while longer.”

      “That's fine,” Baekhyun soothed. “Thank you, Junmyeon. I'll take care of you, I promise.”

 

      Junmyeon nodded tiredly and shifted closer. He wrapped his arm around Baekhyun and snuggled into his chest. He had nothing left to lose at this point. Baekhyun hadn't pushed him away yesterday when they were about to kiss, so he shouldn't push him away this time either, right? To his relief, Baekhyun instantly wrapped his arms around Junmyeon, pulling him even closer. Baekhyun gently ran his fingers through Junmyeon's hair, almost lulling him back to sleep.

      “Baekhyun...” Junmyeon started softly. “I need to tell you something.”

      “I have to tell you something too.”

      “What is it? You go first.”

 

      Junmyeon wanted to hear whatever it was Baekhyun wanted to tell him before he potentially made or broke their entire relationship. Baekhyun's grip on him tightened, and Junmyeon could swear Baekhyun was trembling a bit. Was he afraid to tell him whatever it was?

      “Junmyeon, I-I'm really not that experienced with these kinds of things, so I'm sorry if I don't say it well...”

      “It's ok,” Junmyeon comforted, rubbing Baekhyun's back. “Take your time. I'll listen.” Baekhyun nodded and hugged Junmyeon even closer.

      “I just wanted to let you know that I, um...I really lo-”

 

      A sudden growl from just outside Baekhyun's grotto cut him off. He stiffened, clinging to Junmyeon impossibly tighter. Something was outside, and it didn't sound even remotely friendly. Baekhyun's heart pounded, praying that whatever was outside wouldn't notice them hiding inside his grotto and would just move on. Unfortunately, the creature immediately noticed the grotto and came charging in. Baekhyun was faced with a scaly, two-legged monster with sharp claws, lunging right for them on his shell.

      “Junmyeon!” Baekhyun cried.

 

      He kept his hold tight on Junmyeon and kicked away from the shell with his tail, just barely avoiding the monster's claws. Baekhyun's back was against the wall of his small grotto almost instantly. There was nowhere for them to run in such a small place. Baekhyun had to get them both out of the grotto, but it would be impossible to do that with Junmyeon in the state he was in. This creature was far too fast for Junmyeon to even stand a chance. Baekhyun needed to protect him somehow and either lure the creature away or get rid of it, but how?

 

      The monster came charging at them again, trampling and kicking the shells decorating Baekhyun's grotto everywhere. Baekhyun pushed Junmyeon one way and quickly swam the other to avoid the blow from the monster. Junmyeon was curled onto the ground barely conscious and completely vulnerable, but the monster didn't seem to care about finishing him off at all. Its attention seemed to be solely on Baekhyun. That was for the best. Baekhyun needed to lead it away from Junmyeon.

 

      Baekhyun was about to make a break for it out of the grotto, but he remembered one of the first lessons Junmyeon ever gave him. He had a dagger. They were used to kill and to protect. This was exactly the situation Junmyeon had been explaining to Baekhyun. He needed to get his dagger so that he could hurt the monster. He had to kill it before it killed him or Junmyeon.

 

      The monster tried to attack Baekhyun again, and he quickly lunged past the creature, swimming straight for his chest. He opened it frantically and sifted through the contents inside until he found the dagger. Before he could even turn around or unsheathe the blade, the monster was upon him once more, claws ready to strike. Junmyeon had been dazedly watching the scene unfold, and as he realized Baekhyun was in trouble, he tried in vain to push himself off the ground to help.

      “Baekhyun!” He uttered weakly.

 

      Baekhyun cried out in pain as one of the monster's claws hooked into his tail, tearing across scales and leaving a deep gash behind. He quickly unsheathed the dagger and before the monster could even remove its claw from his tail, Baekhyun used all his strength and plunged the blade into the monster's neck. The monster gurgled, floating backwards away from Baekhyun. Slowly, it began to disintegrate into sand. Baekhyun watched in shock as the creature melted away completely, leaving no trace behind.

 

      As soon as the creature was no more, Baekhyun glanced down at his tail. He'd been letting himself float in the water without moving much, but even shifting his tail to look at it hurt beyond belief. He winced and whimpered quietly, fearful at how long the cut was. He'd never been hurt like this before. The water around him was tinted red as well. Any sharks in the nearby shallow waters would no doubt be able to smell the blood. He needed to get himself and Junmyeon out of the water until the bleeding stopped. He didn't want to wait around in his grotto either. There could be more of those monsters out there, and he wouldn't be able to handle anymore. He painstakingly swam over to Junmyeon and carefully lifted him into his arms.

      “Let's go, Junmyeon,” he said weakly.

 

      Junmyeon hardly made any reaction. He must have lost consciousness during the fight. Baekhyun struggled to swim while pulling Junmyeon along. Every movement of his tail stung, and he'd never been more grateful that his grotto was as close to the shore as it was. It was still too far for his liking with an injured tail and unconscious friend. His pace was slow, and he was starting to fear that he would black out from blood loss before he reached the beach. He had to keep trying. He had to at least get Junmyeon to safety.

 

~*~

      The witch cried out in anger as she felt the presence of her monster fade. That prince and his wretched little merman had done enough damage to her plan. She needed them both to pay gravely. She would have Junmyeon's soul, even if she had to claw it from his very body. She had plenty of magic to send herself under the water long enough to take care of the both of them. If she wanted her contract to be fulfilled, she would have to take matters into her own hands.

 

      She quickly left her small shop, trudging down to the beach. She didn't notice Hyunsik in the shadows of the nearby market shops, watching her like a hawk. He waited until she'd gained some distance in front of him and began trailing her down the street. He knew exactly where she was headed. Junmyeon's time would be up by the end of that day. He needed to stop the witch before she got to Junmyeon.

 

      Hyunsik had been trailing her for some time, as well as asking around in some of the shadier corners of the town about ways to kill a witch. The only way to truly get rid of them was to stab them in the heart. Who knew what magic the witch had protecting herself though. Hyunsik wasn't the best fighter, but he'd taught Junmyeon the basics, when he was little, so he could still hold his own. He would have to get the upper hand over the witch and strike when she was distracted. Otherwise, he stood no chance. His plan was risky, but he would do anything to protect Junmyeon and bring him back home safely.

 

~*~

      Baekhyun groaned as he dragged his and Junmyeon's bodies up the shore. He tried his hardest to keep the cut on his tail away from the sand. The last thing he needed was to have to wash sand out of the wound. When only their tail fins touched the waves as they came and went, Baekhyun finally collapsed onto the sand, completely exhausted. He didn't think he would be able to move either of them much more in his current condition.

 

      He glanced down at Junmyeon in his arms. The man had barely moved, and Baekhyun was terrified for him. He was supposed to be taking Junmyeon to a medicine man, not laying here beside him injured. Now they both needed help and Baekhyun was in no condition to swim them all the way to the mercity. What was he supposed to do? Junmyeon needed to be treated. Baekhyun could almost feel him slipping away in his arms.

      “Junmyeon,” he called out gently. When he received no response, he shook his shoulder. “Junmyeon!”

 

      Still, Junmyeon didn't stir. Baekhyun pulled away enough to get a good look at Junmyeon. His eyes were closed, and he looked uncomfortably pale, even for a merman. Baekhyun cautiously held his fingers in front of his nose, feeling how barely any air was coming out. Junmyeon was fading. He was dying. As panic took over, Baekhyun frantically shook his head and tried to jostle Junmyeon awake.

      “Junmyeon! Junmyeon, wake up! Please! Please don't leave me!”

 

      Tears ran down his cheeks. He'd tried so hard to keep Junmyeon safe, but it was all in vain. He couldn't even take him to a medicine man because he was hurt. Baekhyun was completely useless.

      “Junmyeon, you can't leave me,” he sobbed. “You have to stay with me. Wake up!” He paused, realizing that Junmyeon wouldn't wake up no matter how much he shook him. “I need you,” he whimpered. “Please, Junmyeon...”

 

      He bit his lip, more tears pooling in his eyes and spilling over. He should have taken Junmyeon to get help long ago. If he had, Junmyeon might not be dying now. Baekhyun couldn't bear to lose him. He was the first person that Baekhyun had ever loved. He couldn't let Junmyeon die without knowing that. He didn't want Junmyeon to die at all, but he was powerless. Baekhyun leaned forward, gently pressing his lips against Junmyeon's.

      “I love you,” he whispered. “Don't leave me...I love you!”

 

      Baekhyun broke down crying, feeling completely hopeless. He felt Junmyeon shift slightly in his arms and gasped as he suddenly began to glow. This was definitely not normal. What was happening? Was this how merfolk died? Baekhyun had never experienced someone's death firsthand, but he had never heard that they glowed.

 

      Baekhyun watched in horror as Junmyeon glowed brighter. Then suddenly, his features began to change. The rough, patchy skin of his cheeks became smooth. The wrinkles around his eyes began to disappear, and his lips shrunk into delicate, pink ones. As Junmyeon's appearance changed, a dark cloud suddenly oozed from his chest. Baekhyun backed away nervously, but he still remained within arm's reach of Junmyeon.

 

      Finally, Junmyeon's body stopped glowing, and Baekhyun heard him let out a sigh of relief, as if a great burden had been lifted from him. Baekhyun's eyes made their way from Junmyeon's tail up to his face and he gasped, sitting up and scooting away in shock. Junmyeon's face was now a complete copy of the prince that Baekhyun had pined after. Why did Junmyeon look like him now? Was Junmyeon actually the prince this entire time? But how? And why hadn't he said anything? Why was he a merman now? Baekhyun was so confused.

 

      Baekhyun cautiously reached out, wanting to try and shake Junmyeon awake again, but two, wrinkled, bony hands wrapped around his neck from behind and pulled him away. Baekhyun cried out as he was shoved to the ground and a woman in a dark robe clambered on top of him, eyes looking fierce. Despite her old age, her grip on Baekhyun's neck was strong, and it was getting harder to breathe by the second. Baekhyun glanced over at Junmyeon, who was still unconscious.

      “Junmyeon!” He gasped, finding it hard to speak.

      “His soul was mine!” The woman above him growled. “You ruined everything!” Baekhyun writhed about underneath her. His tail ached, but he needed to get away.

      “Junmyeon, help!” He called out.

      “He's not going to save you,” she hissed. “I'll kill him too when I'm done with you!”

      “Junmyeon!” Baekhyun cried.

 

      The woman put more weight on Baekhyun, pinning him to the ground and preventing him from making any more sounds. Chills went down Baekhyun's spine. He'd been fighting all morning just to keep himself and Junmyeon safe. Was he going to die here after everything? He should have kept the dagger with him so he could defend himself. He still had so much more he wanted to ask Junmyeon, so much more he wanted to do with him. He couldn't die here.

 

      As if to answer his silent pleas, a figure appeared behind the witch, arm raised and a dagger in hand. He swooped down, stabbing the blade into the witch's back up to the hilt. She cried out, letting go of Baekhyun in favor of attacking the newcomer. The man pulled his blade from her back, and right as she turned, he swiftly plunged it into her chest, striking right through her heart. She let out an ear-piercing screech as her body began to dry up and crumble. The man watched with steeled eyes.

      “You'll never take him,” he stated darkly.

 

      The witch never responded, simply turned into dust, her robe falling to the ground in front of Baekhyun. He stared up at the other man in fear, not sure how cruel he would be to an injured merman. Then Baekhyun recognized this man as the one that had rescued Junmyeon on the shore after Baekhyun had brought him there. The man didn't even bother to acknowledge Baekhyun's presence, and instead ran over to where Junmyeon was.

 

      He lifted Junmyeon off the ground, holding him in his arms and resting his head on his chest. Baekhyun dared to scoot closer to the two, still afraid of this new man, but wanting to be beside Junmyeon.

      “Junmyeon,” the man called out gently. He shook Junmyeon's shoulder slightly. “Junmyeon!”

 

      Slowly, Junmyeon's eyes opened. Baekhyun watched in nervous anticipation. He still didn't understand how or why Junmyeon had become like this, but seeing him wake up was relieving. Somehow, he seemed alright again, though he still looked really tired, which worried Baekhyun. Then again, he was tired himself. It had been an extremely stressful day.

      “Hyun...sik?” Junmyeon mumbled once his eyes had focused on the man holding him. Hyunsik let out a breath of relief.

      “Oh thank goodness! I was so worried I hadn't made it on time. The witch is dead now, Junmyeon. You're safe.”

      “Safe...” Junmyeon repeated. His eyes widened and he sat up quickly. “Baekhyun!”

 

      He glanced around and let out a relieved sigh when Baekhyun was sitting nearby. He looked terrified though. The last Junmyeon remembered, Baekhyun had been fighting against that monster. Somehow, they'd made it to shore and the witch had attacked though. It was no wonder Baekhyun looked so afraid. Junmyeon felt bad for dragging him into his mess.

 

      He scooted closer to Baekhyun, ignoring Hyunsik's concerned expression. Baekhyun moved back at the same time, as if he was afraid of Junmyeon as well. Junmyeon's face fell, and he reached out for Baekhyun slowly, trying not to scare him again. Perhaps he was just jumpy. Baekhyun didn't move, so Junmyeon took that as an opportunity to try scooting closer again. As soon as he was in arm's reach of Baekhyun, he pulled him into a hug and laid his head on Baekhyun's shoulder.

      “Thank goodness you're alright,” he whispered against Baekhyun's skin. “I'm so sorry...”

 

      Baekhyun slowly wrapped his arms around Junmyeon's back. Junmyeon was really alright. What had happened though? Why hadn't Junmyeon ever mentioned anything about a witch or this man? Baekhyun had so many questions that he wanted answered.

      “I don't understand...” Baekhyun muttered. “Why do you look like the prince, Junmyeon?”

      “What?” Junmyeon asked, pulling away.

 

      He pressed his hands to his face, feeling smooth skin and an almost unfamiliar facial structure. He'd gotten used to his new face, so it was strange being back to how he once looked. He was back. That meant the curse had been broken. Baekhyun must have done it, but that meant...

      “Baekhyun,” Junmyeon started, holding Baekhyun's hands in his own. “I'm the prince...”

      “I figured that out,” Baekhyun huffed. “Why? Why did you lie to me and keep it hidden? I told you about the prince and said so many embarrassing things...Were you playing with me and laughing at me this whole time?”

      “Of course not!”

      “Then why!?”

      “Because I would have died. Baekhyun, I was cursed. That's why I looked the way I did...And if I'd told you, I would have died that instant. I wanted to tell you so badly, but I...I didn't want to leave you either.”

      “Why were you cursed?”

      “It's such a long story, Baekhyun. I'll tell you everything, I promise. I made a deal with a witch to turn me into a merman. She put a curse on me, and my time was supposed to end today...but you broke the curse.”

      “How? I didn't do anything...”

      “You fell in love with me,” Junmyeon admitted softly.

      “You're joking, right?” Baekhyun asked. Junmyeon only frowned and shook his head at the response. “How stupid are you to make a bet like that!? What if I hadn't fallen for you!? You would have died, Junmyeon!”

      “I would have died...but I would have died happy at least.”

      “Junmyeon...” Baekhyun whimpered. He pulled him into a tight hug. “You're an idiot! How could you almost die on me? Do you know how scared I was?” Junmyeon felt tears drop onto his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around Baekhyun, rubbing comforting circles into his back.

      “I'm sorry. It's alright now. I won't leave you ever again, I promise.”

      “You better not!”

 

      Junmyeon smiled warmly, resting his head against Baekhyun's. In the corner of his vision, he saw Hyunsik walk over and kneel beside him. Hyunsik placed a hand on his back and looked at him sadly.

      “Why would you do this, Junmyeon? Was there really no other way?”

      “This was what I wanted, Hyunsik...” Junmyeon hugged Baekhyun tighter.

      “What about the kingdom? Your mother's been so worried about you, as have I.”

      “I'm sorry for worrying you. But this is the path I want, Hyusik...I love him. I want to stay with him.”

      “I understand,” Hyunsik said softly.

      “You're not going to try and bring me back?”

      “I don't quite know how the king would handle seeing you with a fish tail,” the old man chuckled. “And I just killed the only person I know of who could return you to a human. Besides...” He paused, cupping Junmyeon's cheek. “You've found your happiness. This was all I ever wanted for you. I would never tear you away from it.”

      “Thank you...What will you tell my mother?”

      “That the witch killed you,” Hyunsik sighed. “And that I killed the witch out of revenge. It will break your mother's heart, but I think it's better that she believes this lie. Otherwise, she might send knights out into the sea to look for you.”

      “I understand...Take care of her for me.”

      “I will. You must take care of yourself as well. I won't be by your side to look after you anymore.”

      “I will. And if I can't, Baekhyun will look after me.” He felt Baekhyun squeeze him tightly in response.

      “Will you still come visit this old man on the shore from time to time?”

      “I would love that. I want you in my life, Hyunsik.”

      “Thank you, my prince.”

      “Junmyeon...I'm not your prince anymore.”

      “Right, of course.”

 

      Hyunsik smiled, patting Junmyeon on the back, then stood up. He grabbed the witches cloak from the sand. He would have to present it to the king and queen instead of bringing Junmyeon home. He turned back to the two and motioned towards the sea.

      “You should probably go back. I'm sure you're both tired. And staying outside of water for too long isn't good for you, right?”

      “You're right...” Junmyeon sighed. He turned to Baekhyun and pulled away enough to see his face. “Should we go back?”

      “I-I don't know if I can,” Baekhyun muttered. “My tail...”

 

      Junmyeon's expression immediately shifted into one of concern and he scanned Baekhyun over for signs of injury. In his haste to talk to him, he'd missed the giant cut on the side of his tail. Baekhyun must have been in a lot of pain.

      “Oh God...” Junmyeon gasped. “Baekhyun, this is...”

      “It's ok! I don't think I can go into the water for a while though...”

      “How is that ok, Baekhyun!? What are we supposed to do? This needs to be treated!”

      “There's no way I'm swimming all the way to a medicine man,” Baekhyun grumbled. “I'll just rest on the shore for a little while longer.”

      “You're in plain sight, Baekhyun! Not every human is going to just see a merman and be completely passive about it!”

      “I thought you said humans weren't evil.”

      “No, but they're curious,” Junmyeon sighed. “Hyunsik, what should we do?”

 

      The man knelt beside Baekhyun. He gently placed his hand on the boy's tail, whispering soothing words when Baekhyun jumped out of fear. His eyes narrowed as he looked at the cut in greater detail. Finally he sighed and looked at Junmyeon.

      “He shouldn't return to the water with this. It won't heal well if he does. It's still bleeding.”

      “So what should we do?”

      “Is there a place where you'll be out of sight on this coast?”

      “The little alcove,” Baekhyun stated. Junmyeon nodded.

      “There's an alcove in a cave not far from here,” Junmyeon explained to Hyunsik. “I can lead you to it.”

      “Alright. He should stay there until the cut closes up.”

      “Can you bring medicine from the town?”

      “Of course. That will help him heal faster.”

      “Thank you, Hyunsik,” Junmyeon sighed in relief. “Can I ask you one more favor?”

      “Anything.”

      “Will you carry Baekhyun there? I can swim, but he can't...”

      “Yes.”

 

      Junmyeon smiled at Baekhyun and nodded at him to let him know he could trust Hyunsik. The older man wrapped his arm around Baekhyun's back and underneath his tail. Baekhyun grabbed Hyunsik's blouse, not used to being carried or lifted into the air and needing something to hold onto to feel somewhat grounded. Junmyeon pointed in the direction of the alcove, then headed into the sea. He swam along the surface of the water, keeping an eye on Hyunsik and Baekhyun and leading them to the alcove.

 

      When they got there, Hyunsik carefully laid Baekhyun down on the ground, draping the end of his tail into the water so that it wouldn't dry out. Junmyeon swam over and laid down beside Baekhyun, wrapping his arm around his waist and glancing up at Hyunsik.

      “Thank you,” he said softly. Hyunsik nodded.

      “I'll be back in a little while with some medicine and we'll take care of his tail.”

 

      The older man got to his feet and began heading out of the grotto. Baekhyun's eyes followed him, and he took a deep breath before daring to speak up.

      “Thank you,” he called out quietly. The man turned around and smiled at him.

      “I should say the same to you. Thank you for taking care of Junmyeon.”

 

      Baekhyun flushed, snuggling closer to Junmyeon. Hyunsik took that as his opportunity to leave and let them have some time alone. As soon as Hyunsik was gone, Junmyeon pressed a kiss to the top of Baekhyun's head.

      “Are you alright? Does it hurt?”

      “I'm fine,” Baekhyun sighed. “Just tired and still not sure I understand everything that just happened.”

      “I'll explain it to you now,” Junmyeon stated. Baekhyun looked up at him with expectant eyes. “You saved my life that day when the ship sank.”

      “I remember.”

      “Just like you were curious about me, I was curious about you. I read every book we had on merfolk, trying to learn more about you. But they were all just tails of old sailors who were almost drowned by vicious creatures.”

      “We haven't drowned sailors in centuries though,” huffed Baekhyun. Junmyeon laughed softly.

      “I know. I wasn't very satisfied with the books, so I started coming to the shore to look for you.”

      “For me? Really?”

      “Mhm. So that entire time you thought I was looking for you, I really was.”

      “I should have talked to you,” Baekhyun pouted.

      “It's alright,” Junmyeon soothed. “We did get to meet and talk to each other, remember?”

      “But you were cursed! Did you really do that just to meet me? I'm not worth risking your life, Junmyeon.”

      “I disagree. You've risked your life for me multiple times now. Why can't I do the same for you?”

      “I don't know...”

      “My father had wanted me to marry,” Junmyeon said softly. Baekhyun looked at him with wide eyes. “He was going to send me to a faraway kingdom to marry a woman I'd never met...I never would have come back again.”

      “That's so...cold.”

      “My father never knew that I loved men. I'm sure he would have disowned me if he knew. Hyunsik would help me negotiate out of these marriages, but this time was final. My father wouldn't listen to either of us. I couldn't condemn a woman to a life full of no love, and I couldn't bear to force myself into that same fate.”

      “So you ran away to the sea?” Baekhyun asked. Junmyeon nodded.

      “I thought of you. I brought a scale that you'd left behind to the witch and asked her to help me. I knew going to the witch was wrong, but I wanted to be able to run away from all of this and be someone completely different. Someone not bound by royalty. And I wanted to meet you.”

      “But she cursed you...”

      “The witch always makes unfair deals. I went to her knowing I would probably die, and I became a merman after agreeing to her conditions. I figured it would still be a more fulfilling life than living as my father's pawn.”

      “What were her conditions?”

      “She knew I was enthralled by you. She told me I had to get you to fall in love with me before the curse killed me. She also made me look hideous. She didn't want me to have any advantages in wooing you.”

      “I still fell in love with you. She was stupid.”

      “Yes, she was,” Junmyeon agreed.

      “What about that thing that attacked us?”

      “I'm guessing that was the witch's doing. She was trying to kill you before you could break the curse, but she failed.”

      “She still almost killed me,” Baekhyun pouted.

      “I'm sorry I couldn't protect you...”

      “You were recovering from almost dying yourself.”

      “I never wanted you to get hurt though.”

      “I'll live,” Baekhyun shrugged. “And I'll have something to brag about to Chanyeol and Jongdae.”

      “It always comes back to bragging to them, doesn't it?” Junmyeon laughed.

      “Of course! I gotta tell them all about my adventure and my gorgeous boyfriend.”

 

      Junmyeon smiled as Baekhyun snuggled closer, wrapping his arms around his torso. Junmyeon pressed soft kisses on the top of Baekhyun's head, relishing how close they were. Baekhyun must have been shaken up from the whole event, because he'd never been this attached to Junmyeon before. Or perhaps this was because they'd both admitted they loved each other. Junmyeon hoped it would be the second option. He wanted this physical affection to be frequent.

      “Hey, Junmyeon...” Baekhyun started suddenly.

      “Hm?”

      “This morning, before all of this started, you were going to tell me something...What was it?”

      “I was going to tell you that I love you. And that I'd been in love with you for a long time.”

      “Really?”

      “Mhm. What about you? What were you going to say?”

      “That I love you too. I was going to tell you that I loved you more than the prince, but I guess I love you just as much because you are him.”

      “If only we hadn't gotten interrupted. It would have been so much easier.”

      “It turned out just fine this way too,” Baekhyun said. “I get to lay with you like this. And we can watch the sunset together again.”

      “Yeah...That's nice too,” Junmyeon agreed.

 

      Baekhyun leaned forward, connecting their lips. Junmyeon sighed and closed his eyes, enjoying the feeling of Baekhyun's soft lips against his own. This was definitely worth every risk he'd taken. It was worth leaving everything behind.

 

      Hyunsik arrived a little while later, smiling as he saw the two flirting with each other. He'd never seen Junmyeon this happy before. This was the right thing. This was where he really belonged. Even if it meant hell for his kingdom, Hyunsik would protect Junmyeon's happiness.

 

      When the moment felt a little less romantic, Hyunsik entered the small cave, medicine in hand. Junmyeon sat up and helped Hyunsik clean and treat Baekhyun's wound, though for a lot of it, he was comforting Baekhyun because the medicine stung. When they were finally done, Hyunsik wrapped a bit of cloth around Baekhyun's injury to make sure it stayed clean.

 

      When it was time for him to take his leave and report to the king, he gave Junmyeon one last hug. He made Junmyeon promise to take care of himself once more, and even patted Baekhyun on his back, wishing him a swift recovery. When Hyunsik had left them alone, Junmyeon felt a brief moment of loneliness. He knew he would see Hyunsik again someday, but he was definitely the hardest thing to leave behind from his old life.

 

      He would have Baekhyun from now on though. He wouldn't be alone, and he would be happy. First he needed to nurse Baekhyun back to good health though. He'd been taking care of Junmyeon for so long, it was time to pay him back. When he was finally better, they would be able to live freely in the sea again.

 

~*~

      It took some time for Baekhyun's injury to heal. Everyday, Junmyeon would swim down and find seaweed to bring to Baekhyun. Junmyeon would then clean his wound and put more medicine on it, then spend the day with him. He would make sure to pour seawater carefully onto Baekhyun's tail throughout the day, avoiding the cut, so that his tail wouldn't completely dry up. They would watch the sunset together each night, and Junmyeon would fall asleep beside Baekhyun, despite the other's protests to go back to the grotto since it would be more comfortable.

 

      When Baekhyun's tail had finally healed enough, they carefully submerged it in the water. Junmyeon wanted to make sure it didn't hurt to put his tail in the water before they completely left the little alcove. The cut had healed, but his scales were still missing in that area and would take some time to grow back.

 

      When Baekhyun gave Junmyeon a wide smile, he knew his tail was fine and it was finally time to go home. They swam down into the water, holding each other and spinning in a circle as they swam together. Baekhyun was so happy to be back in the water. He liked bathing in the sun, but hiding in a cave being unable to move had been terrible.

 

      They stopped in the coral reef, admiring the colors and picking flowers for each other. Junmyeon was breathtaking, and Baekhyun just wanted to shower him with flowers and beautiful stones. It wasn't just because his face had gotten beautiful either. Baekhyun found he just loved to shower Junmyeon in affection. He would never tire of seeing Junmyeon's beautiful smile either.

 

      They went back to Baekhyun's grotto later that day and tidied it up a bit. Baekhyun reorganized his shells and Junmyeon added a few more to the collection that he'd found in the coral reef. They slept snuggled together on Baekhyun's shell that night. It was nice to finally be home after so much time. It was nice for Junmyeon to finally feel like this small little grotto was his home.

 

      A few days after they returned home, Jongdae and Chanyeol finally met up with them. They'd gotten irritated with how little Baekhyun had been seeing them as of late, so they were determined to get him to hang out with them that day. They didn't expect Baekhyun to be with someone new, however.

      “Where's Junmyeon?” Jongdae asked. “I wanted him to come too.”

      “He's right here,” Baekhyun stated, wrapping his arm around Junmyeon's waist. The latter just smiled, enjoying the confusion on the others' faces.

      “What are you talking about? Junmyeon didn't look anything like this guy! Where'd he go, Baekhyun? Did you get sick of him?” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun shook his head.

      “I would never get sick of him! I'm telling you! This is Junmyeon!”

      “It is me, guys...” Junmyeon finally stated. Jongdae and Chanyeol stared at him, then at each other.

      “It sounds like Junmyeon, but...he was never this attractive,” Jongdae said bluntly. Junmyeon laughed and Baekhyun glared at Jongdae.

      “Don't be mean! And stop ogling him! Get your own boyfriend! Junmyeon is mine!” He huffed, hugging Junmyeon protectively.

      “Holy !” Chanyeol gasped. “So that's really Junmyeon? And you two are in love!?”

      “Yes and yes,” Baekhyun answered.

      “How? Puberty can't even accomplish this!” Jongdae shouted.

 

      Junmyeon laughed and Baekhyun smirked, enjoying how freaked out his friends were. It was then that Chanyeol noticed the missing scales on Baekhyun's tail and he gasped, swimming over to get a closer look.

      “What the hell happened!? What did you two do while we weren't here?”

      “I fought a witch~” Baekhyun bragged.

      “Oh please,” Junmyeon grumbled, rolling his eyes. Baekhyun pouted at him and whispered for him to be quiet.

      “A witch? Is that how Junmyeon looks like this now?” Jongdae asked.

      “You're not entirely wrong,” Junmyeon said.

      “Don't you know witches are monsters?” Jongdae practically screeched. “How could you make a deal with one, Junmyeon!? Is she going to kill you? Beauty isn't worth your life!”

      “Calm down, Jongdae,” Baekhyun sighed. “Junmyeon's fine, and he's learned his lesson about witches. It won't ever happen again.”

 

      Baekhyun squeezed Junmyeon's waist to let him know that he was extremely serious about that. Junmyeon smiled softly and placed his hand on top of Baekhyun's. He wouldn't ever go to a witch again. He wouldn't have the need to go to one.

      “Can we move on to why you two are even here?” Baekhyun asked next.

      “Ouch, so cold,” Chanyeol pouted. “We found another sunken ship. We wanted to check it out with you and Junmyeon.”

      “I'm up for that,” Baekhyun agreed. “What about you, Junmyeon?”

      “I've never been to a sunken ship before. I'd love to see it.”

      “Great! Then let's go! It's far from here!” Jongdae exclaimed.

 

      He and Chanyeol swam away without listening to another thing Junmyeon or Baekhyun had to say. Junmyeon smiled and leaned closer to Baekhyun.

      “Those two could be a cute couple if you think about it,” he teased.

      “Ew. Don't even give them that idea. They're annoying enough without being boyfriends.”

      “Alright, alright,” Junmyeon laughed.

      “Let's go,” Baekhyun sighed. “I'm not up to speed on my swimming, so don't leave me behind.”

      “I would never. Besides, I've never been a fast swimmer, remember?”

      “We'll have to work on that together, I guess,” Baekhyun sighed.

 

      Junmyeon smiled and leaned forward to kiss Baekhyun. Underwater kisses were a bit saltier than kisses on the surface, but Junmyeon loved them all the same. Jongdae's obnoxious shouting for them to hurry up was what finally broke them apart. Baekhyun pouted, grumbling insults under his breath and swam forward with Junmyeon at his side.

 

      The entire day, Jongdae kept telling Junmyeon and Baekhyun not to be so gross and affectionate, but his whining fell on deaf ears. It was fun to annoy Jongdae anyway. As they explored the ship, Junmyeon couldn't help but stop and think about his life. It had changed so drastically, and he still wasn't entirely used to being a merman. He would figure everything out in time though. He was with Baekhyun now, and that was more than enough for him.