Final

Witch

Hyoyeon, Yoona, and Seohyun are three loudest children of the orphanage. The three are known as the pranksters, jesters, and whatever which represents ones that spread merriment. Whereas Seohyun is the quietest and the youngest among the three, she is the one who is responsible for the innate pranks Hyoyeon and Yoona executed.

Sooyoung and Yuri literally throw their hands up regarding the trio, but the three are the most obedient (albeit very mischievous) children around. That’s why the two caretakers love the three most.

Every night, the two will always read a story. Sometimes it’s about dragons, talking fruit, and sometimes a story the children made themselves by drawings. And one day, the trio hands them a story, which characters are themselves.

Sooyoung can’t believe what they drew. Seohyun explains it that the girl with fancy clothing is her, the girl in commoner clothes is Yoona, and the nun is Hyoyeon. Yoona then begins her tale about how the Princess fell in love with the commoner (much to Seohyun disgust), but was interrupted by the nun. Hyoyeon then explains the little details of the story, much to Sooyoung’s awe.

And so Sooyoung gives the drawing to Yuri, whom eagerly starts to write a story worth reading. She replaces the trio’s names with names she randomly searched in internet, for fear the children teasing Yoona about crushing on Seohyun; which she knows it’s true.

Nevertheless, the story is done and they will read it tonight.


“Today I will tell you a story Seohyun, Yoona, and Hyoyeon made a bit while ago. It’s a good story, a little sad but good.” The children clap their hand as the three bows with grin on their face.

Yuri takes a deep breath. “Now, please take a look, at this sad story. Don't forget to have your handkerchief ready.” The children all share a confused look at the grave tone Yuri is using.

Yuri sends a look to Sooyoung, and Sooyoung begins her story. “In a faraway place, there was a witch. She fell in love with a princess… So as the princess”


Princess Jessica strode silently on a busy street. Her bodyguards weren’t in sight and she was wearing commoner’s clothes, as she deemed it unnecessary for a casual stroll a Princess does to her kingdom’s town.

Men and women, no matter what age find themselves smitten by her beauty and politeness. She would give kind eyes to everyone in sight, she herself happy for they don’t recognize her as their Princess. Her father thought her to blend well with their people and blend she did.

So Princess Jessica continued to walk through the market, secretly hoping to meet someone interesting to talk. Men and women seemed to be shy around her, and chose to gawk at her rather than talk to her. It was quite disappointing for her.

While Princess Jessica was distracted by her thought, she didn’t see a figure running at her direction carelessly. The figure, having noticed the Princess, side stepped only to be tripped, once again heading to Princess Jessica’s direction.

“WATCH OUT!” The stranger screamed. But Princess Jessica was too late to notice the scream and they both crashed.


Princess Jessica groaned below the weight of the stranger, and struggled to sit. The stranger quickly stood and helped the Princess to her feet. Princess Jessica mumbled a thanks while dusting her now dirty clothes, not noticing how the stranger looked at her.

“Aren’t you the Princess?” The stranger murmured uncertainly.

Princess Jessica snapped her head to the stranger, and suddenly he felt a heat rushing to her cheeks. The stranger was a young, looked slightly younger than herself, perhaps on her early twenties.

Princess Jessica was at loss of words as soon as she looked at her eyes. Instead of natural brown like most of her kingdom’s citizen, the stranger eyes were blue. A curious hue of blue which reminded her of the sky when the night is nigh. And it made Princess Jessica wonder, why did she feel at peace?

“Why yes, I am.” Princess Jessica coughed her reply softly. “May I know your name? You’re not from this town, aren’t you?”

The stranger gasped and nodded fervently. “I’m- my apologize Your Royal Highness!” She hastily bowed, much to Jessica’s discomfort. She never liked how her people saw her as some upper-class. She’s a human, respected greatly yes, but human. “A-And Stephanie is the name…” She continued shyly, now standing tall. Jessica noticed Stephanie was slightly taller than her. “But people call me Tiffany… And yes, I’m not.” Tiffany chuckled shyly, tucking her stubborn hair to her ear. “It’s nice to meet you Your Majesty, but I have to go home. I need to go back to work.” She said urgently, and began to collect the now dirty vegetables and fruits spilled upon impact.

Jessica wanted to help her, but Tiffany was quick. She was already done when Jessica crouched to pick up an apple rolling to her feet. “I’m very sorry,” Jessica apologized, feeling bad at how Tiffany was forced to buy another groceries. “Perhaps I could buy you-“

“It’s not necessary Your Highness,” Tiffany waved dismissively, her lips were quirked upwards in amusement, so as her eyes. “My feet are clumsy, it’s my fault!”

“Ah, but if I took notice of your warning you wouldn’t be forced to buy another,” Jessica shook her head. “At least, let me accompany you?” Her request was timid and uncertain, as if she feared her not to accept.

To her relief, Tiffany smiled. “I would be honoured, Your Royal Highness.”

The Crown Princess forced a smile. She never liked her title. “Please,” She said softly. “Address me as Jessica.”


Watching from the corner of the street, a young nun watched their interaction with jealousy clouded her eyes. The Nun recognized the gaze portrayed on the Princess’s eyes. If love on the first sight is real, then the Princess definitely fell in love with the commoner. An outsider, nonetheless.

The Nun tightened her grip around her crux, her lips silently chanting prayer. She prayed for the God to forgive her sin she about to commit.

Erika was the nun’s name. She loved Princess Jessica since the first time they met, but Princess Jessica deemed her as a mere Servant of God which she respected.

And so after the prayer, Erika began to plot.


As the days passed, Tiffany find herself fell for the Princess while the Princess fell for her even deeper.

And as the couple fell in deeper, the deeper the hatred Erika felt for Tiffany.

When the time is right, she would be killed by her own love. Erika made sure of it. She wields power now, and her words matters not no longer to the Crown Princess’ ears.

And surely Tiffany did a little black magic to make a Princess love a commoner from outside. If not, how could someone be that perfect?


Tiffany stared hopelessly at the burning red sky, her blue eyes were filled with remorse. Betrayal, sadness, anger, all swirled in one cloud on her eyes. She was being tied up in the stake, for the High Nun’s accusation of her being a Witch.

“If you're going this far as to call my love ‘witchcraft’, then I will envelop everything in my flames of hatred!” Tiffany shouted in anger, for the foolishness of the people. How could they easily trust her without proof?

Erika paid her no heed. “Cast judgement upon her sinful witchcraft!” the High Nun yelled, pointing her staff of authority to the woman at tied on the stake. “Envelop her in the sacred flames of righteousness!” She yelled, and the crowds cheered.

Princess Jessica was hesitant to follow at first, but royal family is the loyal follower of the church. She had no choice but to listen and follow the High Nun’s sayings.

With her eyes blurred in tears, she cut some few strands of Tiffany’s hair. “Witch…” Princess Jessica whispered to her ear. She tried to hide away her sadness, but her voice was trembling as he whispered. It was full of betrayal, sadness, and disbelief.

“Repent your sin, Witch!” Erika yelled. “Repent! Repent!” The crowds roared. The crowds roared even louder when Princess Jessica reluctantly took a torch and light it on fire.

“Say your final words, Witch!” Erika spat, her voice was filled in hatred. Hidden under her hatred was a victorious laughter.

The witch hung her head low. “May death weighs upon!” Tiffany screamed to the sky.

Thunders roared as she screamed. The screams of the people became louder as they cowered in fear of the roaring thunders.

Erika began to chant her prayers, and instructed Princess Jessica to burn the stake. The Princess hesitated, but made her move towards the stake. She couldn’t forgive herself for killing her love, but she couldn’t forgive herself for falling for a witch.

Tiffany stared at the woman she loved desperately. The sadness and anguish on Jessica’s eyes mirrored her own perfectly. Jessica mouthed an apology to her, her tears were threatening to spill as Erika continued to encourage the princess to light the stake.

Tiffany screamed again. A pair of black wings spurted from her back.

The crowds gasped in as the wings flapped, causing a gust of wind strong enough to make them fell on their back, thus breaking her free from the bind. The witch soared to the sky, not looking back.

When Princess Jessica recovered from her surprise, there was no sign of her love, but rather black feathers falling from the sky.

Despite Tiffany was no longer near, she could feel the ache on her heart.

If Tiffany is a real witch like how Erika accused her to be, why would her heart ached upon her leave?