A Sly Snake

The Case of Babysitting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Upon hearing Chenle's question, Daebin almost spitted her ice cream out. Thankfully, she could restain herself so that the person in front of her could be saved. Speaking about the person in front, Taeyong who heard his son's question was stiffened in his seat. His eyes automatically turned to Daebin's who did just the same. He saw Daebin's cheeks pinked a few seconds after their eyes met. To be honest, he was flustered himself. Luckily, he had a good control of keeping his face stoiced.

 

Daebin shifted her gaze to a kid who's in turn looking at her with gleaming pools of brown. He anticipated whatever words would be coming out of his teacher's mouth. It makes her uncomfortable to wake this kid up to the reality. But, it's the truth and she didn't gave a heart to give him dream only to crush it later.

 

"Chenle--"

 

Those eyes which were starring at her were so beautiful. They reminded Daebin of chocolate milk. It was warm, sweet, and making you happy. Meanwhile, his father's eyes were a few shade darker than his, just like a dark chocolate. It was dark, mysterious, and inviting--what was she thinking about just now?

 

Daebin mentally hit herself. How could she think inappropriatly about her student's parent? Her stress obviously doing funny things to her head. She needed to calm down. Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath--

 

"Teacher?"

 

Chenle was looking at his teacher questioningly. Every eye was on her as they waited what she would say to the youngest Lee. From the corner of her eye, she could saw Mark's round eyes on her. He looked innocent, yet somehow amused.

 

Turning her head to look at her student properly, Daebin spoke to him as soft as she could, "Teacher Daebin is Chenle's teacher. She can't be Chenle's mother, okay?"

 

A few seconds past before a pout was formed on Chenle's lips. She thought he was going to cry, but a crest appeared on his forehead as his little hands grabbed Daebin's arm.

 

"Then stop being my teacher and just be my mommy!"

 

Before she thought what to answer him, a low voice beat her to it, "Chenle, don't speak like that to your teacher!"

 

It was Taeyong's. He didn't like to hear his son speak disrespectfully to his teacher. He also hoped Chenle got to stop this nonsense of Daebin being his mom. It made something fluttered in his stomach; and he didn't like it.

 

Chenle looked down at his bowl of ice cream. He clearly disappointed by his father's answer. The thought of having a mother made him happy. He would give anything to know the feeling of those kids at his school who get kissed before their mother sent them to class or how it was like to eat together with a mommy and a daddy. Furthermore, Miss Daebin was nice and beautiful. She is the perfect mommy, he thought. But his daddy though ... ugh just why, Daddy!

 

"I'm sorry, Daddy," he said with his head still hung down and continued, "I'm sorry, Teacher Daebin."

"But--"

 

The adults thought he was stopped. However, Taeyong didn't call him spawn of satan for no reason.

 

"I am not sorry for asking Teacher to be my mommy. I will work hard so Teacher agree to it. Right, Hyung?"

 

Three heads turned to Mark's direction at once. Mark looked at both adults with amused expression. His little brother clearly knew how to make people embarassed with his innocent question. To think about it, Mark definitely didn't like the idea of another woman replacing his mother. That's why he never like Taeyong's past girlfriends. On the other side, Chenle always jumped at any opportunity to have a new mother. He understand that it's hard for Chenle to never knew a woman who gave birth to him. Although Mark himself only be with her for two years, he got photo as the reminisence of them. Chenle got none.

 

However, he realized that Teacher Daebin seems ... different? Her affection to him and his brother felt genuine. It's not only the way she helped them, but also the look she gave while looking at Chenle's dirty face and the way she sincerely asked about his difficulty of understanding Korean at his new school. Never once his father's exes had this motherly aura around them. Is it because she's a teacher? He's not as gullible as his brother to want someone to be their mom at their first meeting though.

 

"It depends."

 

Taeyong and Daebin silently heaved a sigh of relife as they realized they only have to deal with one. A Chenle is more than enough to make Taeyong's head near to explode. He didn't need two spawns of satan working together in planning to get a mother. It would be hell, he knew.

 

"Enough with this nonsense, kids. You scare Teacher Daebin. Finish your ice cream and we'll ride home."

 

Taeyong just hope Mark's depend would never mean yes.

 

 

 


Another morning came greeting little Lee family. Just like the previous mornings, it looked chaos. Today, the three of them took their bath together as their father woke up late due to staying until midnight to overlook some important documents. Because of being rushed while they were still sleepy, the kids couldn't help but to be in their grumpiest mood today. Chenle even cried out loud as Taeyong brush his hair the "wrong" way. He kept saying he had to look handsome so Teacher Daebin will be her mommy. Silly kid still with his dream.

 

Mark who couldn't stand his little brother's outbrust lost his temper as he shove his hat to the younger's mouth. Predictably, it only made Chenle crying louder. In the end, both got scolded and had to face a wall while their father was cooking breakfast. Here they were now; Chenle still with tearstained cheek, Mark trying not to snapped to him, and Taeyong focusing on frying the eggs even though his head felt like exploding right now.

 

It has been two weeks since they moved to Seoul and he didn't think it would be this hard to work outside while being a fulltime parent. In New York, he used to work at home. Hence, Taeyong has no problem in doing his job as father and mother. However, Seoul was another story as he ought to set his foot at the company to do his work.

 

The morning routine was near ended as he sent Mark and Chenle to their schools. As usual, he was walking Chenle to his class. He expected to see Teacher Daebin in front of the class since his son pled the woman to wait for him every morning there. He felt like it was a bother for her, yet Daebin kept telling him that it was not a problem at all.

 

See, he saw her stand beside the glass door to the classroom. However, instead of the usual warm smile, it was her back that was greeting them. She seemed to be in a phone call. Taeyong didn't want to evesdrop, but he could make some words such as "fine," "will fill her shift today," and "no need to thank me." She was talking in Korean and Taeyong realized it was his first time hearing her talking using the language. Her voice was so much light and airy than when she spoke English. With English, it sounded mature, but in Korean it's so much ... cuter?

 

"Teacher!"

 

Daebin was surprised as she heard her student's voice behind her. She quickly turned her head and saw the duo there. Taeyong was looking good with button up baby blue shirt fitted his body and this time without any blazer. His hair was a bit messy than usual and she could see a sign of fatigue below his eyes. Funnily, Taeyong thought the same as he saw Daebin's under eyes looked darker than before.

 

"You look tired."

 

Taeyong didn't know what come to his mind. He didn't usually say whatever thought running in his head, moreover as the very first sentence to be said on the day. This crazy morning officially messed up with his head.

 

"I could say the same, you know."

 

Taeyong knew that because he literally could feel he might pass out every minute if he didn't get his usual americano as soon as he can. He only get to steal some food from his kids as he prepared himself this morning. Those kids clearly knew nothing that his father

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter