Chapter 5

A Lonesome Fragrance Waiting to be Appreciated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Outside the window, a cat meowed and Donghae stirred. She opened her shining, energetic black eyes and faced the window, chuckling softly. “You’re an annoying cat, tomorrow I’ll definitely find a way to get back at you.” Suddenly she remembered that the House of Choi was still in danger, and her dimples disappeared.

“What should I do?” It was still dark and most of the inhabitants are still asleep, when she got up and fumbled for the table. She drank a cup of cold tea and continued to worry.

If I hadn’t been caught by human traffickers, I would still be by Master’s side and I wouldn’t have to worry about him. Minho is too cheeky and energetic, I hope he doesn’t annoy Master too much.

If I leave tomorrow, where should I go to find Master?

 

Though she was extremely clever, she was still quite young and couldn’t help feeling weak without the support of others. Suddenly, Lee Hyukjae’s face popped into her thoughts, his eyes seemingly able to see into one’s soul.

“Should I invite that fake Mister Kim here and demand the latest news?” But she knew that deep down, ‘Kim Hyunbin’ was highly likely to be Lee Hyukjae, and therefore being around him makes her feel uneasy inside. “If I mess up…”

She thought of when she first received the Phoenix Paulownia-Guqin – it was the same uneasy feeling. But whenever she thought of ‘Kim Hyunbin’ and the way he spoke of his experiences, his proud attitude… her face suddenly began to feel very hot.

The vivid image of him in mind and her memory of receiving the Phoenix Paulownia-Guqin caused her heart to speed up. She thought of her conversations with Kim Hyunbin, his experiences, his bold and extravagant actions…and her face for some reason, began to feel very hot.

Donghae kicked herself, her cheeks she said, “Donghae, what are you thinking about? Finding Master is the most important thing at the moment.”
As she tend to her random thoughts or daydreams, the sun is already up.

After washing, she went inside to serve her Lady. When Lady Im saw her, she clapped her hands, giggling. “You fell asleep before you could even eat dinner, so why are there dark circles under your eyes? I’m sure you were thinking about your lover all night, am I right?”

Donghae turned and looked at the mirror. As expected, there were dark violet smudges under her eyes. She blushed slightly, “What is My Lady joking about? Say that again and I won’t serve My Lady anymore.”

She had always talked to her Master like that back in the Choi Ducal Residence, and didn’t think she was being rude. Fortunately Lady Im had been flattered throughout her life and liked her temper. Trying to hold back her laughter, she said, “Don’t be angry, I totally understand. When I first saw the guy of my dream, I couldn’t sleep for the first couple of nights too.”

Donghae wasn’t originally thinking that, but Lady Im’s words made her heart thump and she lowered her eyes. “Let me help wash My Lady, the water is getting cold.”

“I don’t need you, clumsy girl, I can wash myself.” She grabbed the dry towel off Donghae, “You were never suited to serve others in the first place.”

“I’m not suited to serve others?” Donghae eyes widened. She had always been serving others, especially her mischievous master and no one had ever said she was doing a bad job. She could play qin and chess equally well, she was talented in both literature and art, while also being known for her entertaining wit and conversations, and she wasconsidered to be extremely gentle. How is she not suited to serve others? Donghae had to protest back, “But in the previous days when I washed you, I only broke a few strands of your hair.”

“Of course, because you have never helped people wash their hair before.”

Lady Im was right. Back in the Choi Ducal Residence, she had her own maid to help wash herself. She had hardly washed her own hair, never mind helping others wash theirs. Once or twice, she had tried to wash her Master’s hair, but Siwon had shrieked in pain after a few seconds and she gave up on that idea.

After Lady Im had washed, she continued to work on her sewing. Unfortunately, she had jabbed herself several times and was crying in pain after a while.

Donghae tried to hide her boredom. “I said it would take hard work, so why does My Lady still want to learn it? Everyday My Lady gets me to help and then gets hurt… What’s the point in doing this?”

Lady Im sighed and stared blankly at her sewing. “What can I do? I miss him, so I sew for him, but then I get jabbed and so I hate him because it’s his fault I’m doing this. Then I remember he can’t see me, he doesn’t know what I’m doing. Oh God, I’m so annoyed!”

Donghae wanted to laugh but seeing her Lady being so depressed, she couldn’t bring herself to do it. The image of ‘Kim Hyunbin’ once again came back into her thoughts, her vision blurred and her needle began to twist dangerously.

“Ouch!”

Lady Im clapped, eyes sparkling. “You finally got jabbed. I say this needle is biased, it only likes to jab my thumb.”

The two people continued to talk on, though Donghae appeared to be fully engaged in the conversation, she felt anxious. She had secretly hoped that ‘Kim Hyunbin’ would come so she could learn more of her master. Her eyes flicked from East to West and the day was rapidly ending, but no one came to visit them.

Lady Im saw Donghae’s tight lips and she broke into a sweet smile. “Don’t worry, he said he will come in three days. If he doesn’t, we will just ignore him.”

Towards evening, the two girls were sitting inside and eating dinner when the Housekeeper hurried in. “My Lady, someone wants to see you.”

Donghae abruptly lifted her head, eager. Lady Im turned and said, “Let him in.”

The blinds came down and Donghae’s heart began to beat faster. She stared at the door with anticipation.

Soon, they heard footsteps approaching the door and a huge moving silhouette appeared. He entered the room and bowed respectfully towards the Lady on the other side of the blinds. “Good evening My Lady, my name is Cho Inwook, and I am here to pass on a gift.”

Oh, so it wasn’t ‘Kim Hyunbin’, but the person who had passed the qin to her previously. She thought in disdain. It felt as if someone just coldly splashed a bucket of icy water onto her fiery energy. She was utterly disappointed.

 

Cho Inwook politely laughed, “This is one of GuiLe’s many bronze ornaments. It’s not that expensive, but the detail is rather impressive.”

Donghae looked out through the blinds, and she could tell at one glance that the ornament which Cho Inwook has presented was in no way at all lacking. Not only was it expensive but it was carved by the famous Gui Le bronze master.

The ornament was of a girl playing qin on the mountains, her expression realistic and serene. It was so lovely that many people wouldn’t mind having a painting of it. This ‘Kim Hyunbin’ had probably given her this gift to compare its magnificence to her qin skills.

Donghae decided that ‘Kim Hyunbin’ spent money extravagantly and admired his tactics. “Such an expensive gift is hard to accept. Please take it back.” Her voice was notably cold.

Cho Inwook protested, “Lady Im, this is the Master’s gift, especially for you.”

“Last time it was a guqin, this time around it’s a bronze ornament, so what will it be tomorrow?” Donghae paused a moment before saying, “If his business meant for a barter of objects, I have nothing to give in return as I am a woman. However, if your Master wants something else, it probably won’t be as easy to get it.”

Lady Im was clever and added another sentence from aside, “And he even gets someone else to give a gift on his behalf? How insincere, no wonder My Lady is angry.” She was smiling though. “send him off.”

“My Lady, please listen to me, actua

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter