Chapter 3

A Lonesome Fragrance Waiting to be Appreciated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ever since the visit to the shrine with Donghae, Lady Im became very attached to Donghae and had an everlasting supply of subjects to talk about with her. She was closer to Donghae even more than the other girls who had been with her for the last few years. Coincidentally, Lady Im’s maid was very sick and had to go back home so her parents could look after her. Lady Im then requested Donghae to become her personal attendant.

Just like that, Donghaerose from a manual-work maid to a wedding seamstress to the Lady’s Maid. She had skipped several stages, which surprised everyone.

September was just out of summer, but the autumn tiger was quite fierce.

The laughter of two girls was often heard behind the trees of the Lady’s main room.

“Like this?”

“Nope.”

“Then… is it like this?”

“Nope.”

Lady Im had tried to sew for the whole day, but she still didn’t get it. She threw away her sewing and sighed dramatically. “I refuse to learn, it’s no fun and my fingers are full of wounds.”

Donghae laughed, “I already warned My Lady that sewing wasn’t fun. When I first learned it, all ten of my fingers were swollen. My Lady’s wounds are very small anyway.” Donghae’s plan dictated that she was supposed to escape earlier, but since she hadn’t had any news of her Master, she decided to extend her stay.

That guqin was really good. Though Donghae liked it, she’d have to ask to use it, as it was displayed in Lady Im’s room. After all, that qin was namely given to the Lady of Im Residence.

“I wanted to sew something myself for him…” Lady Im meant her secret lover.

“My Lady,” Mrs Im seemed to be looking for her. Her face broke into a smile when she saw them and hurriedly smiled, “Oh, so My Lady was here, I had a difficult time finding you. Someone wants to see you.”

“Who wants to see me?”

“A handsome young man and the person who delivered you the qin is also there. He claims his name is Kim Hyunbin.”

Donghae’s expression darkened. “He really came.”

 

“Bring him inside,” Lady Im told the housekeeper before turning around and grabbed Donghae’s hands. Her eyes were bright when she said, “See? I guessed right, didn’t I? He really did want to see you.”

Donghae laughed, “He’s looking for My Lady, not me.”

Lady Im answered back, “Geez, why are we still idling around? Come with me.”

She pulled Donghae into a guest house and sat down behind a blind. Soon the housekeeper led the guests inside

“My Lady, Mr Kim is here.”

“Okay. you may leave.”

Lady Im and Donghae peeped at the man.

The housekeeper had left. There was only a young man left in the room. His clothes were expensive yet not flashy, the fabric being silk. His eyebrows were black and a graceful royal air surrounded him thus making him an extremely handsome young man.

Lady Im stared and then whispered into Donghae’s ear. “Your qin skills must be really good, to have attracted such a good looking guy.”

Donghae was just as shocked as Lady Im, though her thoughts were different.

She had been in Choi Ducal Residence for many years so she knew immediately that he was not just an average rich man.

Could he be an official of Dong Lin?

No, could he even be a member of the royal family?

It wasn’t entirely impossible to meet them, as this was Dong Lin’s capital. His manners and the formal way he gave the qin was even more suspicious.

“I, Kim Hyunbin, have selfishly come to see you, Lady.” Kim Hyunbin entered the room. When he saw the blinds, he knew immediately that she was quietly observing. He was extremely confident and laughed a little.

His family name wasn’t actually ‘Kim’ and his name certainly wasn’t ‘Hyunbin’. He was the current ruler of Dong Lin’s very own brother, the Duke of Lee, Hyukjae. He was often out on the battlefield and used to figuring out enemy plans. He had just been strolling around an outside of a shrine, feeling very bored when he heard a mystical qin music that soothed his heart.

Who would miss the opportunity to meet a beauty?

As the brother of the King of Dong Lin and as the most important duke, Duke of Lee, he had planned everything meticulously. First wait and listen, ask to see at a later time, give a qin and research the Hua family before going to their Residence.

Lady Im saw how Donghae stared at the man without a word and assumed that she is fond of the good looking gentleman behind the blinds separating them. Not quite knowing what to say, she rolled her eyes, “Since you already know how inconvenient this is, why you still came to see My Lady? My Lady doesn’t usually see outsiders.”

Donghae raised an eyebrow, but Lady Im was clearly pleased with herself.

“The sound of qin was memorable and I have come here to ask for another piece,” Lee Hyukjae replied breezily, giving a radiant smile.

Donghae began to analyse Kim Hyunbin, but she could not recall a “Kim” family in Dong Lin. This man is using a fake name, which is extremely suspicious. If he finds out who I am, I might get into a lot of trouble. Seeing that Lady Im was about to speak, she cut in, “Are you really here for a piece?”

 

“Yes.”

“So you gave me the expensive Phoenix Paulownia-Guqin just to hear me play it?”

“That’s right.”

Donghae put the qin in front of her and plucked a string.

A soft qin melody drifted from within the blinds; it was like a small stream running through a mountain of fresh spring grass. Spellbinding.

Even people outside were listening, breathing in perfect unison.

The melody started strong and powerful, gradually fading to a slow, gentle and sweet section, finally finishing with a high-pitched trill.

After playing one piece, Donghae said, “This qin’s sound indeed seems to fly in the wind, disappearing yet ever present. I’m guessing that Mister would like another piece?”

The so called Kim Hyunbin smiled, “My Lady is very understanding, yes, I would like to hear another piece.”

“I have already returned your favour with the piece I just played.” Donghae’s voice was suddenly cold, “Playing the qin is fine with me but playing for someone who is using a fake name does not make me feel comfortable.”

Lee Hyukjae seemed to be a little stunned. “When did My Lady realise I was using a fake name?”

“Mister does not need to know when.” Donghae knew that her suspicions were right and a sly smile crossed her face. “Mister only needs to tell me whether I guessed right or not.”

Lee Hyukjae’s eyes brightened and stared intently into the blinds. He had heard that the Lady of Im Residence was a beauty with one-of-a-kind qin skills. It seemed that her skills lived up to her name, and it would be universally hard to find someone with similar skills. “My Lady is right. Kim Hyunbin is one of my pseudonyms, though I didn’t imagine My Lady to see through that.”

“Why does Mister use a fake name?”

Lee Hyukjae thought that the girl in the blinds was very clever. Their conversation resembled the excitement of overthrowing an enemy, yet it was all hidden. Instead, he laughed and asked back, “Then why is Lady hiding behind the blinds?”

“Is my face that important?”

“Then are names that important?”

“How can Mister compare those two? You wanted a piece from me so I did you a favour. Of course you should use your real name.”

Lee Hyukjae sat by the table, sipping his cool tea, “Does My Lady not want anything?”

“Eh?” Donghae raised an eyebrow, “What do I want?”

“What My Lady wants is naturally music critic.” He simply laughed, his voice deep.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter