Chapter 31:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was only a week to the anti-Circle meeting and Minseok was getting antsy because GD still hadn't contacted them about the location of the gathering, but Yejin assured her boyfriend it was because GD hadn't been told yet either. It was bound to be a last minute detail so Suho could keep control over what was to happen and no one had the chance to prematurely stab him in the back. Minseok understood that, but that didn't mean he liked it and was going to be hush about his concerns.

As for Yejin her training was exhausting, but she was making progress and Yixing had several positive and nice things to say about her improvement. She was in Chen's office after eating her late lunch in Minseok's office and dropping by to check on Tao who was having what she assumed was a “lunch date” with Baekhee. They were giggling and talking very closely with the redhead sitting on the bed with him. In the hacker's lair Yejin was in her usual chair one leg tucked under her and her other foot on the corner of his desk swiveling the chair as she boredly watched Chen's main screen that was flipping between facial scanning software and something with so many numbers and letters and symbols that it gave her a headache.

Sighing Yejin kicked off the desk sending herself spinning rapidly in the office chair as she turned her gaze to the ceiling. She made three full rotations before Chen grabbed the arm of the chair stopping her so she didn't get horribly dizzy. Lolling her head onto her shoulder Yejin looked to Chen who was smirking at her with a brow raised.

“Bored?” he inquired sarcastically.

“Tired mostly,” she corrected with a drawl to her words.

“Then why are you here? Go take a nap,” he remarked turning back to his screens.

“Tao and Baekhee are flirting like lovesick puppies. “She crinkled her nose as she muttered, “It's kind of gross.”

Chen snorted in amusement as he gave her a sideways glance. “Seriously? Did not see that one coming.”

“Yeah,” she sighed. “So it's too noisy in the dorm to nap.”

“Boss's office?” Chen suggested.

“Kicked me out to have a confidential meeting with D.O.,” she huffed.

“Now we're back at the beginning. Then why are you here? You're not napping, I can't leave my office and I'm terrible company right now.” His tone wasn't unkind, Chen just sounded curious as to why she was there.

“'Cause,” she shrugged like a child.

“Oh Jinjin,” he chortled shaking his head.

They fell back into a non-talking silence as Chen's fingers tapped across his keyboard and his computers gave off the occasional beep or ping of some sort of progress they achieved or failed at. Yejin went back to her swiveling as a random thought came to her. It was stupid, but Yejin was so out of it with exhaustion and boredom that she decided to entertain the idea for a moment.

“Hey Chen,” she spoke up.

He hummed to show he was listening as he continued working at the screen just to his left.

“Gd is going to contact you first about the meeting location right?” she asked.

He absently nodded. “Xiumin sent an underling to BB Loans with a number GD can text the location to that Suho won't be able to trace no matter how good his tech may be.”

“Okay,” she murmured in thought. Her fingers picking at the strings of her ripped jeans along her bent knee as she clicked her tongue a few times while carefully choosing her next words. “How much to keep you from telling Xiumin until after we've left?”

Chen froze for a moment, hands hovering over his keyboard, before his head whipped around to stare at her with incredulous eyes. When he saw her serious expression his brows rose higher disappearing beneath his disheveled fringe. He spun his chair to face her as he kept staring with his month opened, but no words were leaving him.

“Well it wouldn't be right after we leave. I want GD to send a message to you then you can tell Xiumin,” she explained vaguely.

He continued to stare at her stunned.

“So is there anyway you can do that for me Chen?” she asked in a businesslike tone.

Shaking himself out of his stupor Chen turned serious, a rare side of him that Yejin only ever saw during exam season in university. “Why would you ask that of me? You're requesting that I purposely keep important information from my boss, your boyfriend,” he said, finally composing himself.

“Because what I'm asking you to do will benefit Xiumin in the long run, but I know he won't consider it. Especially not lately, he's too on edge about this anti meeting,” she replied still rather vaguely and she knew that.

“You want me to lie to Xiumin to help him?” he questioned perplexed.

“No, not lie,” she shook her head. “Just stall. If you run into trouble you can blame me, I'll take the blame, after all.”

Chen stared at her for several long minutes before he flopped back in his chair with a groan and his hands dragging down his face. When they fell into his lap he gazed at Yejin with a half lidded look that showed his hesitation but that he was also considering her request. “At least tell me why you're doing this whatever-it-is you're planning. It better be good for me to risk this job and maybe my life,” he demanded with a grumble.

“This world is all about give and take, and I've taken a lot from Xiumin and should give him something in return. I'm not even paying him for this contract we have, but he's already gone above the call the contract he owed, so it's only fair. If you help me with this then I'll feel like I've finally paid him back in full,” she explained honestly.

Chen scoffed as he turned back to his computers, Yejin offended by his reaction. She stretched out and kicked his chair as she glared at the guy.

“You're answers are too good sometimes,” he muttered. “I hate it. I can't decide if it's you or Xiumin that makes my job unnecessarily difficult.”

“I'll pretend I didn't hear that.”

Chen and Yejin spun around in the chairs to see Minseok and D.O. standing just inside the room. The auburn haired man with his arms crossed like a strict headmaster, while the info runner next to him was smirking in amusement. The tense atmosphere Yejin was kicked out of was gone around them and seemed to be settled.

“I'm starting to believe you have the worse timing in the the world,” Yejin commented to the towering man in charge of the building they were in.

Minseok's gaze moved form the startled Chen and over to her as she brought her other leg up onto her chair, crossing them as she sat up a little straighter. His brow raised as he said, “Oh, how so?”

“Block B raid, the condo break-in, yesterday while I was in the shower,” she listed off only halfheartedly serious.

A devilish smirk contoured his face as he spoke. “Yesterday was perfectly timed,” he winked at her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter