Chapter 21:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun sat across from the smug man with immaculately parted and swept back hair, high-end jacket and animal skin boots that the officer never stood a chance at buying on his salary. Neptune sat with his hands casually folded in his lap as he looked far too relaxed in his chair while Officer Byun drummed his fingers across the top of his manilla file eyeing the other man with narrowed unamused eyes. They had been there for nearly twenty minutes just staring at one another, Baekhyun trying to figure out where to start his questioning, especially since they had no real evidence to hold him for any actual crime, only suspicion.

Taking a deep breath Baekhyun leaned forward linking his hands together on top of the file with narrowing eyes. “Why are you here?” he questioned.

“Because I heard you guys were looking for me, so I thought I would save you the trouble and pop by,” Neptune said with a wicked half smile. Baekhyun wanted to smack the look off his face, but he was a police officer, he didn't have that gangster's luxury.

“Is that so? Do you know why we wanted to see you?” he inquired calmly.

Neptune slid his chair closer to the table mimicking the officer's posture as his smile slowly turned into a line. “From what I hear it's about my friend's passing, about his murder.”

“You're well informed for a hard to find man,” Baekhyun commented drily.

“I run in talkative circles,” he shrugged.

“What do you know of Yoon Seokjin's death?” Baekhyun challenged. “If he was such a dear friend of yours then you must know something about his untimely passing.”

Neptune's expression brightened for a moment, it was only a nanosecond, but Baekhyun caught it. His eyes lighting up with an arrogant joy that told the officer yes I do know. Controlling that smug flame Neptune forced his face to frown and turn dark as if hurt and in mourning for the name that was spoken to him. He unclasped his hands and moved to grab something from an inside pocket of his charcoal gray jacket. Baekhyun shifted uncomfortably, though he knew the man had been patted down for weapons before being thrown in the interrogation room.

“Poseidon, or Yoon Seokjin as you call him,” Neptune began slowly. Removing something from his pocket he held a piece of paper between his fore and middle fingers that he didn't immediately pass across to the cop. “wasn't busy the night that he died, from what I heard he only had one meeting. I did some digging of my own, he was like a father to me after all so I owed it to him, and I came across a face that shouldn't have been around his office that day.”

Neptune gave the paper he was holding a little wave, like he was flaunting the evidence he had that the police currently didn't. Biting his tongue to keep from snatching the picture impatiently Baekhyun watched the man slowly lowered the index card size paper onto the table between them before pushing it across the surface so Baekhyun could get a proper look at the black and white picture.

Baekhyun lifted the picture up, studying the frozen image with a critical eye, though the moment he saw the face in the photo his brows furrowed and his stomach knotted. He was in for a rough week after he was done with this smug and gutsy man.

In the photograph was just one girl, fairly pretty though her features were twisted with concern and worry. She was sneaking out of a room that was obscured by the giant door she was pushing aside. Her eyes alone told him that she was guilty of something, but of what exactly Baekhyun wasn't sure yet.

“Kwon Yejin,” Neptune said breaking Baekhyun's trance on the picture. Glancing over at the gangster who looked proud to be in control of the interrogation. “I've seen her a few times around Poseidon, but that's all I really know about her.”

“Huh,” Baekhyun muttered under his breath. He slid the photo into his file then stood from his chair, Neptune looked slightly surprised by this action, which made the officer pleased. He had one more piece of info to turn the arrogant traitor on his as he moved across the room towards the door, and he was going to use it.

“Done already? So glad I could help,” Neptune said standing.

Holding up a hand to stop the man Baekhyun gave him a half smirk. “I'm done, but my partner will be coming in with his own round of questions. You didn't think we only wanted you for the Yoon Seokjin case did you? You're a very popular man Suho, even the police want to have your audience.” Waving his file mockingly at the man Baekhyun watched in victory as the smug gleam on his face vanished and Neptune stood there taken off guard at the authorities having his name – granted not his real name, but close to it.

“How,” Neptune began flabbergasted.

“Good evening,” Baekhyun hummed as he left the room.

Once outside he stepped over to the room where the other officers gathered to watch the interrogation through the one-way mirror. Chanyeol was waiting by the door for Baekhyun who removed the photo from the file before handing the stuffed folder over to the tall man. Jongin, still bitter, was hovering around his superiors gaze firmly fixed on the picture in Baekhyun's hand, eyes narrowing as he opened his mouth to speak.

“Finish the questioning, while I start on this lead,” Baekhyun said to Chanyeol.

“That girl was involved in that B-and-E you had us work on a few weeks ago,” Jongin said.

Chanyeol paused his leave to peer down at the picture too. “Yeah, but her name wasn'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter