maple tree.

Night Friend

"What do you think about this idea? You down for it?"
"Yeah,.. let's promise to complete each other this way"
"Then I swear to never leave you alone and act as the perfect substitute"
"Same goes.. Haha!"


Red Haired, boxy smile, puppy-like personality. Yes, that's Kim Taehyung. A very close friend of Jeon Jungkook. Honestly, no one would feel weird if they were to start dating. But, they never did start dating. The younger boy never took a love interest in the older one. 

"Jeon Jungkook, everyone's talking about us.."
"Again? Hahaha will the ever get tired? We're just friends, right?"
"Yeah, true..."

A pained smile the red haired boy wore. He knew very well Jungkook will never see him as a lover. Only as a friend and never will be more never will be less. But deep in his heart he had hopes. Even if it was just a bit he had it. He believed one day Jungkook will view him as something else instead of a friend. A lover. But, those were all in his heart and those thoughts were never let out and were never shown. For he knew very well he knew it too well who Jungkook likes. Yes, an upperclassman who bears the name Min Yoongi. Known as the school's good-looking genius. Rolex on his left wrist americano on his right hand. Always like that. Whenever they run into each other Jungkook would either hide behind Taehyung or wouldn't even dare to look at Yoongi. But he would always steal a glance at Yoongi, a glance that tells that he desperately wants Yoongi. He needs him. 

Park Jimin, crow-feather-like black hair, abs, y yet soft, yeah, he's Yoongi's best friend. Everyone knows him, like literally everyone at school. Be it underclassmen be it upperclassmen, teachers, workers, EVERYONE. He often says to Yoongi, "you wanna date?" as a joke but was it really? was it a practice or was it for real? Yoongi never really minded him saying that because there was one certain person that he wanted to hear those words from. And yes you got me, the person is Jeon Jungkook, the bunny-like talented underclassman. Whenever they come across each other Yoongi notices Jungkook would never look at him and he often sulks for it but he often thinks about how it would be like if Jungkook looks at him in the eye. Face to face. If they start to talk what would it be like? and for those thoughts that he often grins randomly.

Taehyung never wanted that to happen actually. He realized Yoongi had something going on for Jungkook so if he were to tell Jungkook about this wouldn't that mean they would start dating? Wouldn't that mean all his hopes would be thrown away and shattered into pieces? He doesn't want that. He really doesn't at all. 

But today, his fear came true. It was lunch time. You know those cliche shoujo manga scene where the main character drops something and the other party collects it for them and they have this awesome background with frills and flowers? Yes, that was what happened. But heck the stuff Jungkook dropped wasn't a book or anything...it was...french fries. Yes! French Fries! 

"Kook, please why did you have to drop it" Taehyung sighed
He then bowed down to help his friend gather his fries to throw them away neatly but unfortunately, he was too late.

Yes, Mr.Rolex had bowed down and gathered the fries before he even touched the ground. 
"M-M-Min Yoongi-sunbaenim?" Jungkook staggered as his face shows the expression of disbelieve at the fact that his crush was helping him.
"Yes. me! Jeon Jungkook, right?" Yoongi acted as if he didn't quite remember Jungkook's name when he actually knows his name very very well.
"Uh,yes!" 
"Would you like to maybe...I don't know, chat around with me?"
"Of course! Taehyung i'm sorry could you eat with Seokjin and Namjoon today? Please?" Jungkook gave him puppy eyes and he knew too well that no matter how hard he tries to reject that offer he'd never be able to reject it because Jungkook had used his puppy eyes on him.
With a pained smile and fists clenching, Taehyung replied, "Oh yeah sure! You two have fun and Jungkook come here!"
"Yes?"
"Good luck!" he whispered
Jungkook's face turned red as he smiled and shouted "Thanks I need that!!!"

"I really am an idiot" Taehyung mumbled to himself

"Yeah, you are"

Taehyung turned around, in shock there was someone near him and that person heard him.

"Why are you so shocked? It's me! Your favorite, no, more like everyone's favorite sunbaenim, Park Jimin!"

Taehyung sighs, "What do you want from me?"

"Well question should be... What do you wanna do? You wanna go stalk them? I know where they're heading and knowing Yoongi, he probably wouldn't waste any time and confess today."

With a shocked expression, Taehyung rose up and grabbed Jimin by his collar, "Tell me where they are"

"Woah, chill man, I also wanna see them so let's go together!"

The two boys then strolled their way out of the cafetaria and arrived in front of the school's maple tree. And there they saw them. Blushing, smiling, and there Taehyung stood. Witnessing the scene he never wanted to see the most. Yoongi confessing to Jungkook.

"Told ya this was going to happen"

"Shut up just shut up"

The newly formed couple then went down and disappeared into the old building. Taehyung walked towards the tree, head not facing straight but down, he caresses the tree and mumbled to himself, "You knew it was going to happen sooner or later, Taehyung. You knew."

"Then why are you crying"

"Shut up, Jimin. Shut up. You can't possibly understand what I'm feeling right now so just shut up!"

"I understand you way too well. Because I, too, have an unrequited love."

"What? Y-You like Yoongi"

"Uh... Yeah, you can say it's like that...So that's why, i have a proposal."

"What kind of proposal"

"Would you like to be nightfriends with me?"

"Excuse me???"

"Well we're both empty and you can always think of me as a replacement of Kook so you would feel less empty.. win-win solution, eh?"

"I don't know..."

"Then do you want to be alone? Without no one to let those feelings out to?"

"I...I don't want to be alone... But, is it really alright? You do realize you're asking me to be your nightfriend, right? ME. Are you sure you're okay with that?"

"As long as i can fill in the hole in my heart i'm okay. It has to be you anyway."

"What?"

"Nevermind. So how about it? You down for it?"

"Yeah,.. let's promise to complete each other this way"

"Then I swear to never leave you alone and act as the perfect substitute"

"Same goes.. Haha!"

The two boys laugh as they sealed their promise with a kiss. 

"I'll see you tonight then.." the black haired boy said as he smirked and left.

And so by that, two promises were made under the same maple tree. One for love and one for the need to not feel empty.