II. Twix

Afternoon Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

II. Twix

 

 

We didn’t go far for a drink that night. We stopped at the first pub and just poured the drinks into us, remarkably silent. Since I mentioned Eubin earlier, Taemin was sorrowfully silent. I regretted to even say a word. I hated when someone had a bad day because of me, even if it wasn’t my intention what I had done.

 

“Talk about something!” I’d broken the silence when a bunch of glasses were empty in front of us. “How was Indonesia?”

 

“Indonesia is a wonderful place,” he said shortly. “Despite the models,” he in a deep breath and I waited patiently for the story. “I couldn’t find one vendible face, do you understand? There're pretty, nice-looking ones, there’re doll faced ones, Instagram stars but I couldn’t find one whose face could be vendible.”

 

“What kind of face is vendible, anyway?”

 

“Like my sister’s. It has to be neutral but spotless, almost beautiful, regular and symmetric,” Taemin defined immediately. I just nodded. In this point of view, Hyomin’s face almost seemed artificial. Even though I’ve thought she’s the most beautiful girl in the world. Except when she’s crying… No one is pretty while crying.

 

“And what kind of face is unmarketable?”

 

“Who should I bring up for you to know? You know way too few women, bro,” he mumbled after a short time of thinking.

 

“Then, let’s say--” I started thinking too. He’s right. I know just a few women. “What about Eubin’s face?”

 

If he liked her, as I believe he did, then he was going to fall right into the trap. Even Taemin couldn’t lie that well.

 

“Bini’s face?” he jutted out his lower lip. “She has an especially pretty face. But Bini is rather cute. She has huge, round eyes. Even her iris is big. Ulzzangs would kill for contact lenses which could make their eyes like hers. Straight nose, small, round lips. Eubin looks like a doll. But the beauty industry isn’t looking for doll-like beauties.”

 

“You’re making me confused,” I shook my head. “According to your description, Eubin is beautiful.”

 

“She is. But when someone has a dainty face like hers, which could be improved or messed up with makeup, who would believe it?” I nodded because I was catching up, “The beauty industry needs a mature, beautiful face. It doesn’t have to be lovely or cute.”

 

“Then how about men, when we’re still on this topic.”

 

“You surely can’t be a beauty industry model. I know you, I know what you aim for.”

 

“You got me,” I laughed. “But tell me, I’m not handsome?”

 

“You have a really unique face. You would fit to be a model. If you went to to the gym more--”

 

“I have no intention,” I protested hurriedly. To train even more? No way.

 

“But Hyomin would love it,” I continued shaking my head for what I earned a laughter from him. He rolled his eyes and drank his shot.

 

It was nice spending time with him, finally. I almost forgot the feeling when you can talk about anything with someone. If I asked my girlfriend the same question, she’d most probably answer I’m perfectly capable of anything. If I asked my girlfriend’s friend, I’d have gotten a grimace and a cold look. Not like I’d have asked her.

 

My relationship with Eubin was good like this. We weren’t seeking for the other’s company.

 

I started going to Hyomin’s really late, Taemin left before referring to tiredness because of the travelling plus his whole family-- but I stayed behind a bit to think alone. For example, how I’m supposed to propose to Hyomin. I suddenly remembered my years at the school because of yesterday when Hyomin asked Eubin about how we met for the first time.

 

It just came suddenly into my mind how I liked that doll-like face. I’ve grown up. But Eubin stayed the same. I’ve still failed to see any emotion on her face except happiness. It was utterly weird. Otherwise, I’ve had the perfect life so I didn’t want to waste my time thinking about changing it. I stopped daydreaming about the past and started going home around eleven.

 

I had to talk about Park Eubin.

 

I just got on the bus but I could already see her in the crowd. She looked sleepy as she turned her head to the open window and let the wind caress it. I was too deep in my thoughts to notice I was staring at her, I was numb of the alcohol and the tiredness. I just got to my senses when she got off the bus in a slightly busy part of the city. Confusedly, I watched her walking in a gate looking at the Boulevard.

 

“If she takes this bus, why does she walk from Hyomin’s? Doesn’t she live here?” I thought loudly. Nevertheless, it wasn’t my business where this utterly weird girl was going on a Saturday night. Must be a part-time job… Or her girlfriend.

 

***

 

“I’m home, mum!” I hurried through the garden. Twix greeted me with an enthusiastic bark, even in this late hour. My visit first priority was to see this nine-month-old Doberman. But it was polite to welcome my mother who was waiting for me in her nightgown with a smile.

 

“How was the play?”

 

“It went excellently,” I smiled brightly, letting Twix off my face whatever he liked so much.

 

“He was waiting for you all day. He knows exactly when you’re coming home,” she caressed my not-so small dog’s head lovingly. “When will you bring him back? Just so your father won’t get a heart attack if he jumps into his neck when he comes home from work.”

 

“Hyomin takes us to a vacation in one and a half week. Then Twix will come here,” I buckled his leash to his collar in a rare moment when he stayed calm.

 

“I packed you food. I’ll bring it,” my mother hurried inside and I waited patiently. It didn’t take too long for her to take the mount of Tupperware out of the small house.

 

“You went overboard again. I can’t eat that much!”

 

“Then give it to Twix.”

 

“I’d rather eat it. He can’t eat those,” I took the bag which was handed to me by my cackling mother. She pecked my forehead and I got to go with my overly excited pet. Then we went where the bus had come, a few kilometres from the city centre.

 

I was really tired when we arrived home and packed everything. I let Twix roam the huge apartment and I hadn’t stopped until I reached my bed and I fell on it. A squeak brought me back to this world.

 

“Sorry, big boy but you’re not clean. You can’t sleep in the bed,” I buried my face into my pillow. “Tomorrow, I’ll bathe you.”

 

The sound of his claws hitting the ground signalled that he went to sleep between his blankets, for my biggest relief. I couldn’t bear hearing him whining all night.

 

***

 

In the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter