4. Hearts of Glass

13 ways to tell her
Please log in to read the full chapter

When his little sister, Sooyoung, died because of blood cancer, Kyuhyun was a very angry boy. He blamed his parents for always being away from home, although he knew they did that to collect money for Sooyoung’s medical treatment. But that left him as the only person who witnessed her changes. And for 13 years old boy, that was too much to be handled.

His parents put Kyuhyun in a boarding school to manage his anger, while  tried to manage their own problems. But at the end, they chosed to file a divorce. Both were too hurt by the lost of their little girl to stand each other.

His Appa left Seoul for a job that required travels and spent his time on road and with many women. His Umma quit from her job as a banker and opened a community house instead.

While Kyuhyun buried himself with a pile of music sheets and a stack of storyboards. He was known as one of the most talented students and received a lot of prizes and scholarships. But he stay away from having too many friends, although many girls in the school had wanted to be his.

He was never go home on summer. Until that one summer, four years after Sooyoung passed away. He finished his school early and his Umma married a man who owned a florist near her community house. A man with one daughter, two years younger than him, and few months younger than Sooyoung.

The first time he saw this girl, Seohyun, he hated her. With a reason that he did not know what. Maybe because she was so healthy and lively. Maybe because his Umma was staying at home now and took care of her like she was her own daughter. Things that he wished Sooyoung could have when she was alive.

So he became a mean step-brother. While he was fine with his Step-Father because he was really a kindhearted man, he always avoided Seohyun. He never talked to her unless his Umma asked him too. And always shifted his gaze when he noticed her wanted to open conversation with him. Basically showed her that he did not want to know her.

Everybody found him strange, because Seohyun was truly a nice and gentle girl. And she was beautiful. A treat for sore eyes. Not that he did not notice that. If he was honest with himself, he would admit that he was also thought her as nice and beautiful. But he felt like he was cheating on Sooyoung if he did like Seohyun.

Everybody could also see how hard Seohyun had tried to approach him. An only child, she lost her Umma at the age of twelve. Then she became the lady of the house. Take care her Appa and her house like a real housekeeper. But the truth was she still a child at heart. So when she met his Umma, she knew she once again found a mother, a rock for her fragile heart. She knew how precious Kyuhyun was to her new Umma, so she tried her best to love him too. Even though he seemed to hate her, for a reason that she did not know why.

A year passed. For a naive eye, their relationship was not very much improved. But inside his heart, Kyuhyun was actually start to admit that he could not hate her, no matter hard he tried. However, he stubbornly avoided to show this changing heart to anyone, especially to her. But he started to fetch her home from school when she had a late extracurricular and none of their parents could pick her up.

He still won't let her to be close to any of Sooyoung's possession, though. And she was never tried to. Until that one gloomy day, when she went to the abandoned attic to help their Umma, and found a music box with the dancing nutcracker soldier and the ballet girl. She was watching it with excited eyes, when he came to the attic and saw the scene.

The music box was Sooyoung's favorite toy, the one she held during her last day in the hospital. Kyuhyun was suddenly in rage. "Put that down! Who give you the right to take and play that! I hate you! I wish you were never came to this house!" He took the music box harshly, throwing the scary and teary girl aside.

She tried hard to supress her sobs. His gaze met hers and he saw a reflection of broken glass in her eyes. Yet his brain was not there at the moment. So instead of remorse, his rage was increased. He shook the girl hard and screamed at her ears, "Why are you crying? You don't know what she felt! Don't you dare crying!"

Seohyun slapped him hard, in an effort to break herself from his tight grip. She was on the edge of breaking down and her arms were hurt. Kyuhyun held his red cheek and glanced at the girl. Liked he was waking up from a trance.

Then he saw her teary eyes, red cheeks and a clear evidence of his grip at her arms. At the girl that he secretly started to care. He was ashamed of himself.

He ran out of the attic, out of the house and into the forest behind their house. He heard her soft voice called him, "Oppa! Oppa! I am sorry! Oppa, where are you going?" but he ran even faster. Full of shame of what he had done to Seohyun.

Then he arrived at the makeshift swing that he made Sooyoung once. And he cried his heart out. Never been able to cry when his little sister died, that day he cried for two reasons: for the hurt of losing Sooyoung and for the fear of losing Seohyun.

Kept repeating in his head on Seohyun’s scary but concern eyes had made him realized how much he actually care of her. How much he afraid of losing her like he lost Sooyoung.

A few hours passed when he stayed at the forest. The sun would be set soon and he could feel raindrops falling at his face.  Created a trail of drops that was mixed with his own trace of tears.  Then  a resolution came, which he swore to himself and to Sooyoung, that from the day on, he would take a good care of Seohyun, the only dongsaeng he had.

He was back at home to apologise to Seohyun, but he was greeted by his frantic Umma, from who he learned that Seohyun had been following him to the forest and had not coming back to the house  yet. “She said you were running to the forest, and that she has to find you because she afraid you would be hurt.”

Kyuhyun cursed himself. If something happened to her, he knew that he could not live. He had lost one dongsaeng and he certainly not want to lose another one. He told his Umma that he would find her. So he ran back to the forest while understood that he was racing against time as the rain had started to pour hard. But he promised himself that he will not come home if he could not find her. Even if that means he could catch a sickness.

He ran and ran until he hears a soft voice who sounded like Sooyoung’s which guided him to a soaking wet Seohyun who cradled herself under a tree. He ran to her and tucked her into his arms. He could only feel more shame when Seohyun put her hand to his cheek and asked, “Oppa, you’re here. Are you ok? I am sorry for hitting you.” He hugged her tightly then, while whispering soothing words, “Shh... Seohyunnie... I am glad you are alright. Don’t do that anymore ok? Don’t run into a forest because of your stupid Oppa.” Seohyun’s gaze met him and her eyes are wet, “But Oppa, you’re hurt. If not me, who else would look for you?”

Kyuhyun’s tears flowing freely. He had been a very bad Oppa to this girl, but she still care for him unconditionally. He brushed

Please log in to read the full chapter