fin.

Ending Scene
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Maybe in time, there would be us.

Not now but in the future, in another life, I would definitely find you.

 

I’ve known her since we were little. I was there every step of the way until university came and as if by destiny, we fell apart. Gradually and slowly until all contact disappeared. It happened so naturally that when I think about it now, I wonder how? How did I let her slip through my fingers just like that? I could have done something; I should have been there with her. Every step of the way.

 

“No! Don’t hurt him, stop it!”

I could distinctly remember the reverberating squeal that belonged to a small girl, barely at the age of seven, huffing and puffing evident from all the running she has just done. She stood in front of my fallen state using her own body to defend me from the said offenders. I was only seven then and recently moved in to a new town and a new school. I wasn’t much of a social butterfly, and as a new kid, I was usually picked on by the other boys in the class who was jealous of the attention I get from the girls within the class and our teacher.

“And what are you gonna do about it Yoona? Get away from him, he doesn’t belong here.”

The little girl refused and firmly stood her ground with arms crossed over her chest. The two little boys, evidently taller than her, inched closer as if challenging her. She remained still until one of the kids pushed her aside and she fell just beside me on the floor. Tears began streaming in her eyes as she wailed loudly. Shock filled both kids’ faces as they remained quiet and still for a moment before retreating back slowly and scattering to run out of the classroom and escape. Her wailing gradually ceased down into a stop as she wipes her tears away, turning to me and smiling before holding a peace sign with her dainty fingers. I couldn’t help but feel lost at that moment. What has just happened?

“Worked like a charm,” She grinned before getting up to her feet and holding a hand to offer me help. “You know, you should cry out loudly too the next time they go chasing for you, or if you get into troubles.”

I scowled, slapping her offered hand lightly to stand up by myself.

“A man should only cry three times in his life; when he is born, when his mother dies and when his father dies.”

She shrugged while grinning to herself from ear to ear, hands clasped together. “I’ve never heard of such saying but okay. Instead I’ll cry for you then.”

 

I was never the type who would fight back to protect myself. I usually would rather take it all in and endure because bullies would gradually get tired and stop after a while. It was not until I met her, Yoona. She stood by me and chased the bullies away. She was strong and selfless; she would think of others before herself. When we entered high school, I decided that I will be strong too. I will stand by her side and protect her, may they be bullies or not. I’m not gonna let her get hurt nor cry. I will be there, every step of the way.

Every ing step of the way.

What happened?

I used to be able to watch how the corners of her lips lift into a grin, playfully and mischievously. Listen to her boisterous laughter while her jaw hangs in an un-lady manner. Pair of dark doe eyes twinkling every time she sees food.

Oh how time flies.

 

“Our Jiyong sure have a lot of secret admirers.” the dark haired grinned while unfolding a card after slipping it out of its envelope.

I quickly snatched it out of her hands to put it aside. I got confessed on by one of the girls in our class which I had to politely decline. Again. Romance was not really in my plans at that moment of time, I was far too occupied with other things.

“You should really get a girlfriend soon, someone who can take care of you.” she spoke. There was a smile plastered across her face although concealed within her voice was a hint of what seemed to be, sadness?

“Why would I need someone else when I’ve already got you to take care of me?” I laughed.

“I swear you weren’t like this before, how did you become such a playboy all of the sudden?” she quipped.

“Call it whatever you want but it’s not like I jump from woman to woman with my irresistible charm, I’m a one-man woman.”

She paused for a second and stared at me. It went on for a good few seconds to almost a minute before she turned to look away with a sigh. “I got accepted in Dongguk University.”

My heart dropped from hearing the news. The thought of suddenly being apart was nothing I ever even thought of. “I thought we were both going to Sungkyunkwan? That has been our plan since we entered high school wasn’t it?”

“Dongguk offered me a scholarship an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter