Move & Stop

Philuviophile

Philuviophile, yes he called himself that.

Rain lover, someone who find happiness and peace when rain falls.

That man who just turned to 27 years old believe in the miracle of rain since he was 5 years old, he knew the beauty of rain since then. Rain with big howling wind and lightning or just a mere light shower rain in the middle of summer, all of that are beautiful and meaningful for him.

“Yongguk, Yongguk” that sweet voice calling him “Yongguk!” the source of that voice snapping her fingers in front of the man who’s staring blankly at the window. Waking up from his daydream, he turned his head towards that girl in front of him with confused look.
“and you didn’t pay attention to me again…” she glared at him really hard
“sorry, I’m sorry. What are you saying again?” Yongguk apologize almost panic, he knows that if he keeps ignoring that girl he will receive a splash of cold water on his face. Yes, that girl really hate being ignored.
The girl sighed, “I’m asking you, why do you love rain so much?”
“Rain is happiness…” Yongguk smiled while turning his attention to the outside of the window again. It’s raining outside, not that heavy but enough to make those trees wet.
That girl followed his vision line but Yongguk turned his gaze onto her. Her straight brown hair falls perfectly on her shoulder. Her skin that was slightly tan made her looks contrast to another girls in town. And his favorite was her brown eyes that could hypnotized anyone who stared at her.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

They met not more than 4 weeks ago in the middle of the first November rain. Yongguk was walking aimlessly in the town park with umbrella in his hand. That’s his habit since he lived in this town. This town has a quite wide park with trees in every corner and when the rain falls not that heavy he would walk around this park with or without an umbrella.

The girl with ponytail woke him up from his daydream. She sat under the shelter in the center of the park while listening to her iPod. After staring at her for a while, Yongguk decided to approach her. He started to walk to her direction, but right after he sat on her left side, her phone rang.
“Ok, I’ll be right there. Wait for me… I’ll be there in 10minutes” she talked to someone in her phone while walking away from the shelter.

Yongguk stared at her back which slowly faded. That ponytail swaying from left to right following her footstep.
“Maybe tomorrow”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The next day, Yongguk came back to the park. He goes straight to the shelter, in hope he’ll met that mysterious girl from yesterday. But, much to his disappointment he didn’t find her in that shelter.

Rain started to pouring down. From afar he could see a girl with white blouse and navy flare skirt running towards the shelter. When she came, she started to fixing her messy hair that slightly wet because of the rain. Yongguk stared at her in awe, and that beauty beside him turned her head while sending him a sweet smile.

Thump…. His heart beat stopped for a second. That smile, super sweet like honey but deadly like a poison. Her smile seems like a thunder that struck his heart. Yongguk believe that rain is the only thing that could give him such a gorgeous angel like her.

After gazing at her for a while, Yongguk came to his sense and building up a courage to introduce himself to that pretty lady beside him “Yongguk. Bang Yongguk” Yongguk offered his hand which she gladly accept. Her hand feels so soft but firm and it sends electrifying effect to his body.
“Lee Joah. But I prefer Joey” she smiled with her eyes now, and his heart now was on somersault but he still maintain that cool smile he always had on his face.
Silence fill the air and awkwardness slowly creeping between them. There are too much words flying inside Yongguk’s brain, he couldn’t find the right words to say to her. He was someone who could easily socializing with someone new, but this girl made him lost for words.

“Are you new here?” Yongguk finally found his tongue that break the silence between them.
“Yes. I just got here for about 36 hours ago” that girl, Joey answered his question while turning her head slightly towards him.
“Ah- so you just got here yesterday then? What brings you here?” he tried as hard as possible to be relax but the girl gave him a curious gaze.
“sorry for being nosy” Yongguk waving his hand in front of his face, he didn’t want to give her a bad impression. She laughed looking at his awkward behavior “no, it’s no problem”
“I’m a new coach in De’March Academy, transferred… ah- I mean transferring myself” she continue.

Academy De’March was the only dance academy in this town and you could say that it was one of the famous academy in the country.

“so, you’re a dancer? What did you dance?” Yongguk ask with interest, that academy reminds him of his twin cousin who love to dance and they were the alumni of that academy.
“you mean what genre?” Joey snorted and looked at him with an amused glance.
“that’s what I mean” Yongguk rub his nape, even if it doesn’t feel itchy at all.
“I was a hiphop dancer back then, but I tried to do salsa, tango and ballet. Now, I fall in love with contemporary dance even if sometimes I mixed it all together in my choreo” she answered with that soft looks on her face.
“I have cousin, un-identical twin cousin actually. They attend that academy and graduated last year” he’s trying so hard not to become so obvious. He wanted this conversation to last long. “oh really? What’s their name? I probably know it” her eyes sparked in interest. “Jongup and Junhong, I don’t know their genre though since I’m not paying that much attention on it. All I know is they look really passionate every time they dance” Yongguk ended his ramble with that signature gummy smile of his. Talking about his beloved cousins always bring up this brotherly side of him because they always made him proud as hell even though they’re annoying and a pain in the sometimes.
She looked at him with stunned expression, didn’t expect this dark and mysterious man could talked about his cousin proudly like a mother do “I know them anyway, they are the talked of the academy all over the country. With their talent, style and not to mention their good looks. I heard they got accepted in art performing school in State?” she tilted her head slightly, her lips tugged upside.
“Yeah they’re in State now, can’t believe that two brats could become that popular.” He chuckled.

Their conversation goes as smooth as silk, after talking for a while they never running out of topic. It seems like when one topic finished, another one will come up. She smile a lot and none of them are fake, her eyes told so.
Yongguk didn’t realize then, that since that day he has another favorite thing beside rain. Her smile.

 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

That was the start of his meeting with this girl that currently sitting comfortably in front of him. Joey succeed on dampen his heart with the drops of joy that she brings every time they met. A day with her was never boring, indeed she made his almost dull life become colorful. Ever since that meeting, they decided to exchanged their phone number. Since then, they met almost every day whether it’s a coincidence or not.

This morning, Yongguk receive a message from Joey that said she’s craving for macchiato today and asked him where are the best coffee shop in town. He offered his company gladly. This is the first time they visit a coffee shop together. Yongguk knew that she love coffee so much from all of the stories that she told him and caramel macchiato from her neighborhood coffee shop near her former high school is her favorite.

Joey calmly sipping her coffee and Yongguk can’t help but stare at that fluffy pair of lip. Unconsciously, he bit his lip imagining that cup was his lips.
“Mr. Bang, do you believe in miracle?” her eyes were on him
 Yongguk chuckled, still found her mischief behavior cute and calling him Mr. Bang was something that she does just to annoy him. “You sounds like my coworkers you know, calling me Mr. Bang” she shrugged her shoulder “answer my question already” she said, a little bit impatient.

“Of course I believe in miracle. I think every drops of rain contain a miracle, don’t you think so too?” he answered, igniting a stunned expression from her face even if it’s only for a second.
“You rain maniac. Why did you always answer my question with something I can’t predict?” Joey pouted, Yongguk always succeed on making her astounded with his answer every time she asked him about something.
He laughed, “that was the only answer I could give you though. What are you expecting? Do you expect me to answer it with some ridiculous answer? That’s really unlike me my dear Joey” Yongguk stretch out his hand to pated her head lightly.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A few months past since Yongguk and Joey’s first meeting. They become closer as days goes by. Joey wondering why, almost every time they meet it’s always raining. Yongguk always had this same answer every time Joey asked him that question “You are rain girl and we’re soulmate that the rain god bring together to produce rainbows” he said and that answer always succeed on making her lips forming a wide grin, that was the only ridiculous answer that he gave her after all this months.

That day, rain was falling heavily outside. Joey sat on the couch while watching her favorite drama with full concentration. They decided to spend that day in Yongguk’s flat. It was the second time Joey visit his flat yet she still mesmerized by the design of his flat. His flat was minimalist but cozy at the same time, it gives you the warm feeling of home. The wall was covered in white with some black accent on it, and the room mostly filled with black furniture. Plain and simple, that was so him. He love silence, so he move out from his parent house. Being an architect, he couldn’t work with commotion around him.

Yongguk’s watching Joey in silence while continue on working his new project. Her eyes fixed on the tv, the sight makes his lips tugged upside unknowingly. He just couldn’t believe that he met this girl. She was so sweet yet poisonous, firm but soft and so unpredictable. Not everybody’s typical sweetheart, but his heart melted slow but surely with her presence.

That girl with 1000 volt smile turned her head towards him “Mr. Bang, what are you doing?” she stand then walk over his table not too far from the sofa. He glanced at the TV, wondering why this girl that-cannot-be-disturbed-while-watching-drama is talking to him. His feeling was right, it’s a commercial break.
“This is my new project, what do you think?” he respond her question while tilting his laptop a little to show her his design.
“It’s magnificent. I want one” she said with all serious expression on her face.
“Of course, I will make you one. A castle only for you and me, your highness” he bow mockingly. Red tint stain Joey’s cheeks. For the umpteenth times she blushed when he said those ridiculous things about their future.

“Mr. Bang, I like you” Joey said while staring closely at Yongguk’s orbs. That confession startled him
“Jo… what do you mean?” after regain his consciousness, he stuttering in shock.

“I like you as my best friend, thanks for accompanying me for this past 5 months. You’re the best talking partner ever. Thank you Yongguk” Joey said it with that sweet smile of her and that makes Yongguk feel at ease.
He like her, but he doesn’t want her to make the first move of their relationship, that’s his job to do it. Yongguk stared at her with gummy smile plastered on his face while he patted her head.
“You are very welcome rain girl, I’m glad to meet you too. You are one of the miracle that falls with the rain” Joey laughed at his statement, but his eyes didn’t catch that slight sadness showing in her eyes.

She sat back on the couch to continue watching the TV. Suddenly, silence envelope them.
“Yongguk, really thanks for everything” Joey say it again without shifting her eyes from the TV. Confused by her words, Yongguk decided to stop working and sat beside Joey.
“Is there something you wanted to tell me? Why did you keep thanking me, you sounds like someone who will go to somewhere far away” Yongguk pull her chin so she could stare at him.
“Say it Lee Joah, what’s wrong?”
“It’s nothing, I just can’t believe that I can meet someone like you in this foreign town” She let go of his hand and turning back her eyes to the TV. Yongguk watched her from the side, that girl wasn’t concentrating on what’s playing on the TV. Her eyes were on it, but he knows that her mind was flying to somewhere unknown.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

They ended that day when Joey got a call from the head academy. That middle aged woman called Joey exactly when they’re in the middle of enjoying their coffee. Joey rushed to leave and Yongguk insisted to take her there because it’s raining heavily outside.

All the way from his flat to the academy Joey’s attention was on the droplets stuck on the car window. Once in a while she stole glance at Yongguk but when he turned his head she turned her eyes as well pretending not doing anything.

Yongguk’s car come to a stop in front of the academy. Joey who had her own world all along the way didn’t realize that they’ve arrived. “Joey we’re here” Yongguk nudged her shoulder and she halt from her seat “ah- thank you for the ride. I…” Joey wanted to say something but then she changed her mind.
“I’m going in. Goodbye Mr. Bang” She hugged him briefly but tight.
“Okay, see you rain girl” Yongguk smiled in her embrace while her hair.

When she get off his car, Yongguk grabbed her hand.
“Wait, do you have any class tomorrow? I want you to come with me to the new coffee shop that just open a few days ago, I heard they got a killer macchiato” he said with enthusiastic expression on his face. Joey’s face was unreadable, but it was clear that she didn’t have the same enthusiastic expression like him. And that was weird enough because every time they talked about coffee usually she will jump in joy, but not this time. “I don’t know, I haven’t checked my schedule”
“Okay then, if you’re free just give me a call” Yongguk’s face fell

Joey smiled, but not her signature smile. This is another smile he never saw on her face, or she never showed it in front of him. It’s different from her 1000volt smile she had. This smile feels like a trafo that lost its energy. Just like a cable that couldn’t conduct electricity. Her smile feels flat.
“Goodbye, Yongguk” Joey started to run to the academy’s lobby.

Yongguk watched her back until she disappear behind that huge door. He feels something weird. Not because of Joey who said goodbye. She always said that every time they separate and when Yongguk asked why did she choose to use goodbye instead of see you, she said that she didn’t know whether she still lived tomorrow or not, that’s why she preferred to use goodbye. He hate that answer more than anything, it was as if she already know when will she died.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Yongguk turned his car and decided to spent the day at the park. The rain was already stop falling and the sky become clear without any clouds covering it.
“Spring is coming” a middle aged woman sat beside him who’s drinking the soda in his hand.
He bowed slightly and his lips tugged in a sincere smile. “Yes, the sky look so clean after rain washed it”

“But unfortunately, what’s come with the rain sometimes gone with the sun and will be a memory that will revive when the smell of damp soil appear because of the first drop of rain after a dry summer” that lady said.

The first thing that come to Yongguk’s mind was Joey. She was the rain girl, the girl that rain bring to accompany him. Will she be gone too? Will she gone when the spring came? No, that was only his insecurity speaking. She’ll stay.

Yonngguk spoke with that lady until her grandson show up to pick her up. After saying goodbye, Yongguk choose to come back home because the sky was getting darker and the sun almost drowning itself.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The next morning when he woke up the first thing that came to his mind was Joey. He’s going to ask her to have a breakfast with him. He tried to call her but she’s not picking up, worry started to spread in his body. After his fourth tries and she still not picking up, a message show up.

Sorry Yongguk, today I can’t accompany you for breakfast and we can’t try that new coffee shop you tell me. Suddenly, Mrs. Harriet want me to attend an important recital out of town. Maybe next time^^
Ah- don’t forget to take your lunch and dinner or you’ll look like a walking bones!”

That text makes Yongguk smiled. She knows that he really often forget about his lunch because of work and besides his mom, Joey is the only one that makes him remembered about lunch.

‘Aye captain! I won’t forget my meal. Take care Joey, just remember your leg just healed don’t force it to work hard. Call me if you need something, you know what I’m capable of.
Don’t leave me for too long, this oppa will miss you so badly’

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Four days past since the last time Yongguk communicate with Joey. After the message she sent four days ago, her phone’s dead and Yongguk can’t reach her. He started to become unsettled, he’s afraid that something happen to her. He already tried to come to her apartment but no one’s there. He came to the academy but that front desk girl told him that she still out of the town with the other coach. When he asked her for a number he could call to communicate with Joey, she said that she couldn’t give any information without the head academy’s permission. That day, Yongguk come home empty handed.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Today was the 15th day and Yongguk hasn’t get any news from Joey yet. After going to the academy a few days ago, he stopped trying to look for her and choose to wait for news from her.

Yongguk was sitting on his studio’s chair when he saw Joey’s favorite drama was airing on the TV. Memories suddenly slap him. Memory when Joey said that she like him, that she was thankful for his company and for him being a good friend for her. His brain replayed every words that she often saying. He remembered that Joey once asked him what will he did if she was really the rain girl he always call her, a girl that fall when the rain falls and then disappeared. She once said that she didn’t want to be like a dark cloud that makes people feel gloomy and sad. Yongguk remembered the reason why she always said goodbye every time they separating.
“No… no it can’t be… no no no…” He goes panic, grab his car key in rush and run to the parking lot.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

When he stepped to the academy, he run to the lobby and force the front desk girl to answer his question. “Answer me! Where is Joey?!” he yell while smacking his palm on to the desk.

“So- sorry, I don’t have any rights to tell you” that girl answered while stuttering, fear was clear on her face with the sight of raging Yongguk in front of her.
“I don’t care who’s right it is but…” Yongguk almost pulling her collar if there’s no hand on his shoulder stopping him from doing it. He turned his body in force and met eyes with Mrs. Harriet the head academy.

“You are Mr. Bang right? Come with me to my office, let me explain everything” that middle aged woman said with motherly smile on her face.
‘Mr. Bang… Joey’ he remembered hearing that name being said.

Without objection, he followed her to her office. The office looked so unique and ancient, her working desk facing the door and there are four glass cabinet that’s full with medals and trophy behind it, and on the right and left cabinet there stand bookshelf with hundreds of thick different books lined up neatly. But Yongguk didn’t realize any of his surrounding, how could he did it when his mind was full of Joey’s whereabouts now.

“Please have a seat, I’ll make you tea. Calm yourself first” Mrs. Harriet pointed at the sofa under the wide window.

While Mrs. Harriet making his tea, Yongguk sat on the sofa and diverting his eyes around the office. Just then he realized how antique that room is. That room was full with photo and certificate. He could see Mrs. Harriet’s face almost in every picture. He found one photo with her and his twin cousin beside her. His eyes stopped when he spotted one big frame that seems has being taken a few years ago. What makes his breath hitched was someone that standing proudly beside Mrs. Harriet.
Joey.
She looked so pretty in that ballet suit. Moreover with her signature smile that she showed to the camera. Her hair that tied on a bun like what ballerina do makes her long beautiful neck showing. Yongguk staring at that photo longer than he thinks until Mrs. Harriet come with two cups of tea in her hand.

“She is one of my best dancer. I’ve never saw someone dance as astonishing as her. She has her own style on pouring her message in her song or her choreo” Their eyes now staring at that photo.
“What happen? Where did she go? Please tell me. At least to make me feel a little bit at ease and not thinking that something bad happen to her. She’s all right, right?” hearing Yongguk’s question, Mrs. Harriet could only showed him a sad smile.

“Joey is in New York now. She’s ill, but I don’t know what disease she had because she never told me. She said that if she’s not coming back, someone will call me” That woman said while looking at the window behind Yongguk dreamily.

“Sick…” Yongguk feels his bloodstream stop flowing. Everything feels cold… his hand that held the tea cup frozen.

“Why did she never told me anything… why did she still dancing even though she’s ill??!” Yongguk hit his head. He opened his phone to check his schedule for the week and stand up in hurry.
“Where are you going?” Mrs. Harriet gives him a confused look

“I’m going to New York, there are some unfinished business between me and that stupid girl”

“No, Mr. Bang calm down. Joey said that she won’t be staying for long in New York.  She doesn’t know and doesn’t tell me her next destination and following her there won’t be a good idea”

Yongguk falls back onto the sofa. He thinks that if he go after her it will take more than a week and he already had an appointment with an investor that will use his service to build a big hall for performing arts. He remembered that Joey is the one who convince him to take that project and she promise if that hall is done, she will be the first dancer that perform on that stage.

When Mrs. Harriet gave him a blue envelope with a letter in it, Yongguk come back to his sense.

“Read this. Joey gave it to me. She said someday there will be someone looking for her in panic and I shall give it to him. And I’m sure you’re the one she’s talking about. Trust me, since the first day that you met, she never stop mentioning your name in each of her story. She said that you are her guardian”
Mrs. Harriet laugh softly and Yongguk take the envelope.
“I’m sure that you’re not taking your meal regularly because you look so much thinner since the last time we met last December” Mrs. Harriet said while patting his shoulder.

“Thank you so much Mrs. Harriet, thank you for everything. Please let me know if you got any message from Joey” Yongguk stand up and bow slightly before he feels Mrs. Harriet’s hug enveloping his body. “She’s going to be alright Yongguk, don’t worry about her too much. Look after yourself so when she comes back she won’t be disappointed looking at you” He hug her back and nodded.

His hand feels heavy with that letter in it. He walked straight to his car and enter the driver seat. After hesitating for a while he finally has the courage to open that envelope.

Hello Yongguk my rain prince
Do you still remember me? I don’t know how long it’s been until you got this letter. I hope you still remember me because I will never forget you.
While you read this letter maybe I’m in the middle of heading to somewhere, longing for you.

Sorry for my sudden departure…
Something that I can’t avoid happened. And thanks to Mrs. Harriet that helped me overcoming it. I want to sincerely be thankful to you for all of the things that we've done in those unforgettable few months. Everything’s happen like a blink of an eye, it feels like only yesterday I met you under that shelter and now I’m already leaving you.

I want you to know that I love you Bang Yongguk
And I want you to know that leaving you is hard
I hope I have another choice than leaving you behind

Thank you for everything that you give to me
Thank you for the time that we spend together
Thank you for everything

If you believe in miracle, don’t ever look or wait for me.

You have to believe in time Yongguk, time heals all wounds.
I wish that time will heals my wounds too.

See you later

With love, Lee Joah your rain girl

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Yongguk read that letter over and over again and without his knowing, tears starting to fall. That beautiful handwriting makes his tears can’t stop flowing. His breath is irregular, just like something is stuck on his throat. And something inside his chest felt heavy. He didn’t want Joey to go like this, without a proper goodbye and proper preparation for him. He haven’t said that how much he wanted that girl to be with him, being his partner for life.

Suddenly each and every memories that he shared with Joey replaying in his head automatically like a DVD player. The first time they met, knowing each other, go on a walk, strolling the park together and visit her favorite coffee shop together. That first time he watched Joey dancing at her academy charity event last December. That memory warms his heart. And tears started to fall on his cheeks unknowingly. With that letter she gave him, he won’t wait for her. He believe that miracle will come and bring back that girl he love.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sooooooo how is it??

Let me know what are you guys thinking! Leave comment please!!

Thank you for enjoying this story!