Auto-Pilot

Fallen Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After Lizzy's death, JR felt as if he was running on auto-pilot. He found it very hard to concentrate on anything for long, his mind wandering and a tight pain in his chest constantly. Even his favorite foods and conversations with Aron didn't cheer him up. The customers at the tavern had begun to notice that he wasn't himself, as well.

 

One day, he carried a tray to a new customer, smiling at him out of habit and impulse alone.

 

The new customer, a middle aged nobleman, glanced at the tray, irritated. "This is clearly not what I ordered. I don't eat oatmeal," he spat the word out like it had just poisoned him, glancing at JR in disgust.

 

The young man pursed his lips, his patience running much thinner than usual. He tried his best to be polite, though, and it was a struggle. "I'm sorry, sir. I'll have your corrected order out soon!" He grinned at the man, the gesture feeling just as fake as his mood.

 

"Do you even remember what it was? You're the one who took my damn order," the man stared at him again, his eyes flashing.

 

JR opened his mouth, intending to reply politely, then his lips, nodding. "You know, sir. I'm pretty sure you have never even attempted a job like this...or anything, for that matter. I'm sorry that I'm human and got your order mixed up. I'll be right back with your sunny side up eggs and garlic toast...and bacon. Is that correct enough for you, sir?" He left out the choice words that were at the tip of his tongue, turning to walk to the kitchen. On his way, he noticed Aron watching him, having heard the entire conversation. JR ignored him, making his way to the safety of the cooking area.

 

Once there, he was caught by his father, the shorter man staring at him with concern. Taking a deep breath, Yoseob smiled at JR gently. "Son, I just saw what happened out there, and that man had no right to treat you like that."

 

JR nodded curtly, swallowing the emotions that were threatening to eat him alive. "I know. That ing rich noble was really rude. I should have..."

 

Yoseob shook his head, realizing how torn up his son truly was. He still wouldn't stand for JR's part in the altercation. "I know. he was very rude, but you should have treated him better, as well. Some of the words you said could have been kept back, even though I do understand," he stared into JR's eyes, just to have his son break the contact. "You've done enough today. We've got it covered, so you should go home and take some time off. You haven't taken a day off in a while," Yoseob frowned, touching his shoulder lightly. "Get some rest."

 

JR opened his mouth to protest, but thought better of it. He knew an argument wouldn't do any good, and his father was right. He needed to get away. Far away. Nodding, he found himself unable to form words for a moment. Taking a deep breath, he cleared his mind as much as possible. "Okay." That single word was all he felt could manage, at the moment.

 

His father didn't push any more out of him simply patting him on the back and smiling again. "Now, I will go take care of the stuffy nobleman myself, and if he's rude again, I guess he can take his business elsewhere, right?"

 

JR laughed, feeling genuinely amused for a short moment. No one wanted to make his father angry. No one won against Yoseob Yang. "Right. Well, I guess I'll see you later, then. Bye, Dad."

 

"Bye, JR," Without another word, his father went back to stirring the simmering pot on the stove.

 

As he was on his way out the door, JR noticed Ren sitting at the same table he had used a few days earlier. He also saw that Baekho was already taking his order...and enjoying his company. Smiling dryly, he was beyond caring about something like a lost opportunity with a good looking man. It didn't matter. Nothing did, at the moment, except getting some air. He didn't look back as he rushed out the door. The blast of cool air on his skin felt good, chilling his body to match his frozen heart.

 

For the rest of the day, JR practiced his archery, shooting pine cones out of the trees. That was something that took a lot of precision and skill, and it was also something that he knew Aron was very impressed with. The concentrated actions took his mind off of his trouble most of the time, but this time, his heart was too heavy to be soothed, so it didn't work for as long as he had intended.

 

Setting his bow down, he sat down against a tree, leaning his head back. While he was si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter