The Fall of Alertesia

Fallen Kingdom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the country of Alertesia, everyone loved the royal family. Queen Jessica was known for making frequent trips to the market, if for no other reason than to interact with the merchants there and show that she cared who they were personally. She always had a smile to offer the children, and she always found a way to brighten any and every situation, even in the darkest of times. To the people of Alertesia, she was the most beautiful queen in the world.

 

King Hyungmoon was less social than his wife, but he was also loved and respectd by the citizens of the country. He was always happy to lend a hand to anyone in need, and was a just ruler who won over the hearts of all he came into contact with.

 

As a show of good faith and a repayment for loyalty, he had named his former General's youngest son, Hyunseung, his royal adviser, giving him the power to oversee many important matters and causing him to rise in power and popularity. All of the women loved him, and he was highly sought after, finally marrying the niece of the king himself.

 

All was well, and King Hyungmoon continued to bestow more and more confidence in Advisor Hyunseung, causing the young man to feel very important. However, the people still didn't respect him as much as he would like, as he still looked down on the lower class people and viewed them as less than human. Needless to say, he was not nearly as well-liked, and he had noticed that, causing him to become angry and bitter. His bitterness grew, and as this matter, among others, led to more and more fights with King Hyungmoon, he withdrew more and more, becoming nothing more than a bitter shell of a man. King Hyungmoon tried all he could to draw the young man out, and it worked, once he was offered the position of chief magistrate, on top of remaining the royal advisor. This position raised his spirits immensely, like a child that had just recieved the best candy in the world. He used this newfound power to the highest of his ability, even when he did not agree with King Hyungmoon's views.

 

Everything seemed to be running smoothly, until one day. This day began as any other, even though it was dark and stormy outside. Advisor Hyunseung approached King Hyungmoon and Queen Jessica, offering them delicious candy from the market. They readily accepted this candy, sharing it with their children, as well. All of the children loved the chewy candy, devouring it in minutes. All except for the youngest, who was just a baby. He was a newborn, still too young to have been christened. No one outside of the palace knew of his birth yet, since the king and queen were waiting until the perfect time to announce his birth. This would be a special time, since he was the last child the king and queen were planning to bring into the world.

 

No one thought anything of the candy, having been given to the royal family in secret and advisor Hyungseung slipped away, retiring early to his quarters that evening. By the next morning, King Hyungmoon and Queen Jessica, along with their children, had all perished in their sleep, never awakening.

 

As word of their deaths spread throughout the castle, one of the servants slipped out the secret door, making her way out into the storm with a basket covered in a blanket. Placing her hand on top of the blanket, she said a prayer before setting it down next to a tavern and walking quietly back to the ill-fated castle.

 

*

 

Yoseob Yang, the owner of the most popular, but humble taverns in the town, walked outside, ready to go pick up his usual milk and cheese from the dairy. As he walked around the side of his tavern, he noticed a strange basket. It was a light brown wooden basket, the top covered with a black blanket. Smiling, he reached down to find out what was in the basket. He was shocked when he discovered a sleeping newborn baby, his skin cold to the touch, but still alive. Forgetting all about his milk and cheese, he took the basket inside to care for the child, taking him in to raise as his own. He didn't know where the boy had come from, until he heard the news of the assassinations of the royal family. It was then that he made the decision to remain quiet about the baby, following his gut feeling. This baby would not know of his original home or his royal blood. All he would know was that he was loved and cared for by a loving father, brought up to be a good person. That was all Yoseob could offer him, and he would give the child all he had.

 

 

*

 

After the funerals of the royal family, Advisor Hyunseung rose to power, taking control of the kingdom. No one defied him, which made him even more powerful. They looked to him as a saviour in their grief and dismay, hoping he could help them to flourish again. Despite all of their high hopes, Ruler Hyunseung raised the taxes and made life very difficult for anyone who was middle class or lower. With the high taxes and harsh living, Alertesia fell into hard times, with many lower class people starving to death in the first Winter that h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter