1/1

Subway Ride

“Yah, are you awake?”

You felt yourself jolt in your seat as a particular sharp elbow met your rib for the 4th time that hour. It is always the Thursday evening classes that the most - when you know you have the next day off but you have to make it through this last 3 hour lecture from 6 pm to 9 pm, the one that makes you question if education is really necessary.

Himchan sighed at your clearly overtired state, wishing that you would just go to sleep on time and not exhaust yourself, but he didn’t want you to miss another class or you would have to borrow his notes again. Plus, who is going to help him when studying for the exam? He kept his eye on you for a couple seconds longer, making sure you were really awake before turning back to the professor before him.

After an hour and a half of listening to the professor’s voice talk about god knows what, that happened god knows where, to god knows who, the sleepiness from before started to return. With every passing second, you felt the exhaustion of the Netflix marathon from the last night take over and without another word you were out like a light.

“Alright guys, we have 5 minutes left so I’m going leave off here. Next week I will introduce you guys to the Flavian dynasty”

With a large grin on his face, Himchan collected his things along with the rest of the lecture hall to finally get the hell out of there and get home.

As he was about to get up he noticed a weight on his shoulder and he turned his head to find you passed out, leaning against him, with your mouth wide open letting out light snores. He chuckled at your twisted face and let you be for another minute until he realized you two were the only ones left in the hall.

He gently shook his shoulder trying to wake you up, but all that did was shake your head and vibrate your snore a bit.

“Y/N… Hey… You gotta wake up…”

His shoulder wiggle began to get more violent - doing nothing to wake you up, but everything to make him laugh.

Eventually, you managed to open eye and saw Himchan staring at you merely a few inches away from your drooling face.

You quickly shot up, almost hitting Himchan in the face with your head, as you wipe away the drool from the corner of your mouth and quickly rush to pack your stuff. You hear him laughing next to you as you throw your notebook into your bag and lightly hit him with your textbook before throwing it in your bag too.

“Was that really necessary now? If it weren’t for me, you would be here overnight sleeping like the princess you are for tomorrow’s class to find you here in your own puddle of drool.”

Annoyed of his teasing, you scoffed at him and picked up your stuff and left, but you still waited for him next to the doors of the building since you commuted together. Both of you can’t afford to live in the dorms on campus so you take the subway back up north to the neighborhood you grew up in.

Leaving the warmth of the building you were abruptly met with a wall of cold coming from the night air as you opened the door. You covered your head with your hood and grabbed Himchan’s arm for as much warmth as you can get.

You walked down the stairs leading to the road together as Himchan took your hand in his and shoved it into his pocket. Together you comfortably walked in silence to the subway station taking in the scenery of the city at night. The lights of the office buildings still illuminating the skyline as the flashes of light coming from the passing cars and traffic lights dotted the scene.

Silently admiring the scenery while being guided by Himchan to the station, you finally made your way to the underground and step onto the subway car. It was pretty late so the subway wasn’t crowded, but the seats still seemed to fill up so you were forced to stand next to the doors.

Himchan stood against the glass wall that stood next to the doors and pulled you along with him to lean you against him. You rested your head against his chest and loosely wrapped your arms around him as he protectively wrapped his around you. In the comfortable silence of the subway and the warmth of Himchan, you slowly began to doze off as he rested his head on top of yours.

You stood there together as the stations passed, waiting for your station to arrive so you could finally crawl into your bed and have a good night’s sleep.

Finally, your station arrived and you slowly lifted yourself from Himchan and looked at your hands, slightly too flustered to look at Himchan who you knew was looking at you as you left the subway car together.

He took your hand again as you left the station and walked towards your neighborhood under the light of street lamps.

Since your class ended late on Thursdays, he would always walk you home to make sure you would get home safe and then walk to his own house. You used to fight him all the time, complaining that he was making extra work for himself, but once you realized it was pointless you let him do whatever he wanted, as long as he was happy.

The walk over to your house is thankfully very short as the night got colder with every passing second. You slowly walked over to your house together and stopped right before the door. He slipped his hand out of yours and quickly gave you a ‘good night’ hug before he turned around to leave.

Before you could even think about what you were doing, you quickly reached out your hand and grabbed his wrist stopping him from leaving.

“Hey… um… I know you don’t have class tomorrow and I don’t either… do you wanna… maybe… come inside for a bit? We can chill?”

You looked down at your feet while holding on to his wrist, afraid of his response. After a couple of seconds, you felt your hand drop as he pulled his wrist away. Your heart sank a little, but before you could react, he tilted your head up to look into your eyes and planted a soft kiss on your forehead.

“Of course.”