The Sinister

Gemstone Masters (Hiatus)

Magic users - again, both good and bad - are all rejects at one point because words has it that they were frankly narcissists. And it was well-known among the common person that magicians and criminals were regular selfish and self-absorbed beings.

However, as a sorceress in Escaty, life was not so vile as the valley was known to bore and housed only merit magicians. Besides, Eunji could never tell if she was ostracized or others were just too dilly-dallying about approaching her first - though she never cared for either one because she had Naeun.

Just outside the back exit, a rocky half-wall barely hid the seated Eunji and Naeun.

In her unsealed palm, Eunji revealed to Naeun a blinding sapphire. When the observer tried to touch it, the stone would bypass any connection with her with brief fades, “Aunty said that when I was nearly three months old, I had this azure stone grasped in my hand. They were apprehensive I would injure myself and tried to take it away, but,” Eunji twinkled blissfully, “they could never obtain a firm hold on it. So they invited a great warlock into their dwelling and acquired answers from him,”  

Naeun, who has stopped trying to make any contact with the stone and has been nothing but a great listener, inched closer to her, “And? What did he say?”

When Eunji secured her hand into a ball, the blue stone, too, vanished. “He said that I am an epilog of Ehecatl and Xiuhcoatl’s amorousness story and that my magical powers sprung from it,”  

Her belle friend frowned, puzzled as she did not suspect those appellations to leave Eunji’s lips, “You’re convinced? Ehecatl and Xiuhcoatl? But everyone knows them to be fictional characters,”

Eunji could only shake her head with a sigh. “The warlock moreover relayed a message to my aunty and uncle,” she halted shortly before quoting, “beware the man with a wicked accessory, she must not be curious and must not follow him,”

Naeun scoffed, “Sorry? A wicked accessory? What even is that?” She chuckled, “You sure you can trust what that warlock said?”

Eunji chose not to answer because she herself was not sure what any of it meant. However, she was certain about one thing. In her realm - those of her kind - were gifted their craft for a reason: they had a purpose to exist and unless they find that out for themselves their powers will dwindle. It was the only explanation behind every notable and powerful mage to ever breathed.   

Presuming that her purpose lied in the story of Ehecatl and Xiuhcoatl, growing up Eunji read and studied their tale through hardcovers. Aside from their affair with another man named Ophiuchus, nothing seemed out of place. At least, nothing that hinted the reason and origin of her abilities.

“I’ll take your silence as an agreement then,” Naeun spoke to lure Eunji back in, “so what if your powers were given to you because of Ehecatl and Xiuhcoatl? Ehecatl and Xiuhcoatl were average people before a sorcerer came in between and trapped them. Sure, in the end, they turned into dragons - which are magical creatures - but it was never written that they had magical powers. So what does your ability to teleport has anything to do with them?”

Eunji wished she had all the answers because it was the only way to look cool in front of Naeun.

“I,” she stopped.

“Well?”  

“...I do not know,”  

• • • • •

The double-trouble-pair - on the backs of hogs - studied the sign that hung from the high stone archway. Ken smirked. He was more than eager to explore their destination and cannot wait to see what awaited them on the other side, “So this is Escaty, home to sunflower eaters,”

It has always been adamant that Ken had a thing for collecting mounts, particularly the kind he and Leo were riding on. Though Leo knew it was not the kind of devotion and adoration one would expect between a man and his pet best friend. Ken’s foster family managed a boar house; where hogs they raised, brought in and even stole were prepped for bets.

Observing him from behind, Leo watched as Ken tugged the rein of his mount and with a mean grunt, the large animal advanced forward.

As they expected from a rich, dragon-free valley. It was rundown with playing children, well-behaved adolescents, working adults, and domestic animals on the loose. Well, all except boars.

Unlike the homes where they came from, the housings before them ranged from the ground to four floors tall and in the shade of white, old gold and or olive brown. An eyesore to the fashionista Ken.

The sound of blacksmiths at work and vendors competing to gain the most attention played through the busy three ways like broken records - none of which bothered Ken or Leo. Instead, they stopped in front of an elder’s stall and dismounted just milliseconds apart.

Glancing over the goods on sale and after ignoring the woman’s ‘what can I do for you today young man?’ Ken eyed a particular red fruit. He hated apples. The sight of them exasperate him to no end and he would brag about how he has chopped down countless of its trees in his twenty-odd years of living.

Aware of what he would do, Leo made little to no effort to stop him. Without warning, Ken flipped the table with one hand and strength alone - startling and paralyzing the public around them. In an instant, edible fruits and vegetables rolled and cascade surrounding them. Cold-heartedly, Ken stomped on a full apple and proudly grin at the woman wearing a horror expression. “Oops, my hand slipped,”

Before they could witness the woman’s sorrow, a deep voice captured their focus.

“Gentlemen,” looking over, they studied an elderly male with white hair and a long white beard. From his appearance to his posture alone, one could see he conducted himself impeccably - he surfaced as a reliable, wise elder with heavy shoulders. “I, Sukjae Ko, welcome you to Escaty. However, before either one of you is allowed to proceed farther, I must warn you that disturbance committed in the public’s eye is forbidden here,”

Ken, once again verifying himself to be dismissive, changed the topic, “Are you the head of this place?”

“I’m afraid I am. What services may I provide you, Takers?”

The male with the bow pocketed his hands before humming, “I’m afraid we’re on a scavenger hunt for a witch,”

A kind smile was plastered on the elder’s face, “We have many sorceresses here. Does this sorceress you seek for owns a name?”

“A name? Maybe you will know since I clearly do not. The witch we’re searching for is one of the seven gemstone masters,”

“...a gemstone master?”

Ken folded his arms across his chest, “The master of Ophiuchus’ stone,”

The elder blinked, his mouth slightly gaped, “You mean...the Ophiuchus? The infamous Serpent Bearer?”

“If it this is news to you then do me a favor and round up all the witches for us. My partner here, Leo, has the ability to detect which witch is a master,”

The elder laid his eyes on the lone male with a sinister eyepatch over his right eye.

• • • • •

A/N: Shorter chapter but feel free to share your thoughts!