Relief

Safe and sound

Tonight is a freezing night. I felt my toes curling from the sudden exposure to the cold marble tiles as I trudged towards the kitchen.

I grabbed my favorite cup that has a cute bunny sitting on a patch of grass by the cupboard and heated the kettle while humming a tune. I didn't remember where I heard it, but it sounded pleasant to my ears. 

I took a spoonful of the choco powder by the jar located near the stove and some powdered milk. 

My feet was freezing. I ignored the sensation and continued making the hot cocoa. 

The kettle screeches, a sign that the water has heated to a hundred degrees. I turned off the stove.

I poured the steaming water into my cup. I placed the kettle down and stirred the liquid in my cup; I watched the slightly gray water mixed with the sugary powder turn into a brownish and thicker fluid. 

I can smell the chocolate from the steam, and I felt my chapped lips smile from the fragrance.

I snatched some cookies by the plastic Tupperware that Sojung's mom gave and put it on a plate.

My feet still feels unbearably cold. I should buy those heating socks I saw on Lotte tomorrow, or else my toes might freeze and turn blue. 

I don't feel the cold marble tiles anymore, but a softer and warmer surface. I'm glad we bought that carpet by the thrift shop.

Yewon or we would affectionally call as Umji, my lover's little sister was drawing by the coffee table. A dozen of crayons scattered through the glass surface, and a thin stack of papers sitting on the carpet. I worried if the crayons would leave stains, but I figure glass doesn't get stains. 

The six years old child was drawing with much concentration, that her brows creased and the tip of her tongue slightly poking through her lips. She reminded me of her sister when she was working on a document, or simply decorating cakes.

"What are you drawing there, hon?" 

"Eunha! I drew a picture!" Little Yewon exclaimed loudly.

"But you can only see it when it's done!" She quickly covers the paper with her crayon smudged tiny hands. I chuckled at her antiques, "Okay, okay. Promise you'll show me after it's done, all right?"

Yewon nodded excitedly, thrilled to show me her ongoing masterpiece. I put the cup and cookies down next to a yellow crayon, and Yewon reached for the cup, her other hand still on top of her drawing. 

I smiled as Yewon squealed in delight. Sojung would always compliment me for my talent in blending beverages, though I would just tell her that a bartender should at least know how to make hot chocolate, and it is not some hidden skill I got since birth.

I grabbed the TV remote that would always get stuck in between the cracks of the sofa and pressed the power button. Yewon was now happily munching cookies. Some crumbs fell into the carpet and stuck on her chubby cheeks.

A cooking channel came on. I plopped onto the sofa and started my hunt for something entertaining that I could watch.

I settled for a soap drama and hugged my knees close to my chest. The soft sound of drama BGM lulled me into a daze, and my head suddenly felt light, and my eyelids were heavy, the only thing that kept me from sleeping on the spot is the lingering cold on the palm of my feet. I really should've bought those socks.

When I was just a few seconds away from closing my eyes, Yewon's cheerful voice snapped me away from dreamland.

"Eunha! Eunha! I'm done!" Some of the drowsiness still lingered, but I forced my eyes to remain open. I tried to match my voice with her enthusiasm, "Really? Show me!"

"Close your eyes!" I obeyed her request and waited patiently. I heard some rustles and crinkles, and I sensed that she had lifted the paper. 

"Okay, you can open your eyes now."

I froze in shock.

The paper was too big for her tiny hands to hold upright, so the paper bent a little, but the drawing was evident to my eyes. The drawing was that of a plane broken in half; a stickman seemed to be falling from the airplane, and it has two Xs for its eyes.

My eyes blurred and i felt a bubbling anger from looking at it. 

"Go back to your room." 

"B-but-" 

"Now!" I snapped. My fingers were cold as ice now, but sweats wouldn't stop trailing down my temples. 

Yewon cowered in fear and quickly ran to the hallway, leaving the cursed drawing behind. I didn't know why i snapped, but it struck a chord. It's like something possessed me.

I let out a ragged breath and leaned back on the sofa. My temple is still wet with cold sweat as I change the channel. I settled for a music channel, but I felt my blood run cold when an emergency headline news suddenly appeared.

"Breaking news! It is confirmed that a plane that departed from Seoul to Jeju crashed approximately forty minutes ago what was informed to be from a mechanical malfunction-

There's only one airplane that was scheduled to Jeju tonight. 

Everything hit me like tons of bricks, and everything suddenly felt so cold. 

I quickly stood up from the sofa and ran towards the hallway. Everything around me was a blur. I couldn't think straight.

I just need to know-

I just-

I halted in front of our shared bedroom and felt relief washes down my body. There you were, sleeping soundly under the thick blanket on our queen-sized bed with Yewon curled on your side.

You must be tired from work. 

Your soft breathing calmed my erratic heart; your chest rose slowly from each breath you took.

Your body shuffled a bit. You laid on your side as you pulled Yewon close to your chest. I smiled.

You must be tired from driving me to the airport so late at night. 

I turned my gaze away from your sleeping form and felt the cold crawling to every surface on my body; my eyelids were now as heavy as lead.

I looked down at my hands and saw the white and gray tiles through them. I felt my entire being evaporate into the wind and I smiled at you for the very last time.

-need to know that you're safe.


A/N:

:(