Back to you

Back to you

To everybody, Cho Kyuhyun seemed like the ideal man. He was rich, handsome, smart and even has his own company. He has a wonderful boyfriend, a big house and everything he wanted could be gotten in a snap of a finger.

What not many people knew that behind all these things, Kyuhyun has split personalities. There were moments where he would forget things that happened, times where he couldn’t remember doing certain things.

Nobody knew that he grew up in an abusive family, nobody knew how much he had to suffer as a kid. People only saw him on the outside, the handsome and rich boy in school. Nobody, except for his boyfriend, Lee Sungmin.

Sungmin and Kyuhyun went to the same high school together, their meeting was pure coincidences. They were both the most popular people in the school, having confessions every single day. They were in the same class for their entire high school years and finally started dating after they had graduated from high school.

Sungmin had always known, he observed Kyuhyun enough to know everything about him. He knew how Kyuhyun would sometimes act like a completely different person, he knew when he would be back to normal and when he wasn’t. He stayed by Kyuhyun’s side every single day. Everywhere the latter went, Sungmin was there.

This is the story of how they got together. A story of an unrequited love, that started back in their high school days.

 

--------

 

-In high school-

 

“Hi, is this seat beside you empty?” Kyuhyun had been staring at his book blankly, when he heard a cheerful voice beside him. When he turned his head to answer, his voice was trapped in his throat.

“Hello?” The boy had blond hair with bangs touching his eyebrows, waved his hand before Kyuhyun trying to catch his attention. Kyuhyun couldn’t help but to gape like a fish out of water. The boy before him was an adonis, he was pretty sure of it. Kyuhyun snapped back in attention when the said adnois flicked his forehead gently.

“Hmm… you were staring… Is there anybody sitting on the seat beside you?” The boy asked again, this time flashing a pretty smile to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun shook his head, when he couldn’t find his voice again. He felt his face growing hotter, when the boy pulled out the seat and sat down beside him.

“I’m Sungmin, Lee Sungmin. Whats your name?” The boy, Sungmin flashed his fabulous smile and Kyuhyun’s voice was trapped once again.

“I…. I.. K-Kyuhyun.” He said softly, when he finally found his voice again. Kyuhyun could only thank God, as the teacher chose that moment to walk into the class. He could spare himself from embarrassing himself in front of Sungmin, thanks to the presence of the teacher.

During lunch break, Kyuhyun found himself heading to the canteen together with Sungmin. He couldn’t spare the boy a look as he knew that he would stare at him once again. When Sungmin grabbed his hand and pulled him into the queue, his face flushed up once again.

By the end of the day, Kyuhyun was able to talk to Sungmin properly without stammering and flushing up. He was happy, so happy, that he momentarily forgot the torment he would get when he got home.

Kyuhyun clutched his stomach, trying to will the pain away when his father had stopped hitting him. He watched as minutes later, his father would come and nurse his wounds. His father was suffering from bipolar disorder, he learnt about it one day.

When his father was stressed, he would take it out on him. He would come back to treat his wounds when he had calmed down. Kyuhyun hated his father, he also hated his mother for leaving him with his father. Kyuhyun hated his life, all he wanted was to live a life that was happy and carefree.

 

--------

 

That was where it first started, that was where his second personality had started surfacing. He could be completely happy and then suddenly like a snap, he was like a different person. The first person to notice it, was Sungmin.

Sungmin and Kyuhyun were second year students and were having lunch together in the canteen with their friends. Their friends were teasing Kyuhyun, when he turned down another girl that confessed to him.

Sungmin was comforting Kyuhyun when he noticed the change in Kyuhyun’s expressions. One moment the boy was smiling and the next moment he had a serious look on his face before smiling back. As it happened so suddenly and quickly, Sungmin wondered if his eyes were playing tricks on him.

The second time it happened, it was when Kyuhyun was watching Sungmin’s martial arts practice match in the gym. Sungmin was the upcoming martial arts team captain. He was having a practice match with the then-captain, when Kyuhyun suddenly stormed into the match.

Sungmin blinked when he saw anger morphing on Kyuhyun’s face as he punched his captain suddenly. He knew that Kyuhyun was never a physically strong person, he was shocked that he would beat up his captain so suddenly.

When he had restrained Kyuhyun and pulled him off of his captain. Kyuhyun was back to normal and was asking why he was there. Which made Sungmin even more confused, that was when Sungmin started to have his initial suspicions.

 

As time went by, the interval shortened as it occurred more frequently. Sungmin took it upon himself to take care of Kyuhyun. He learnt of the triggers after Kyuhyun’s third mania incident. Violence, it was the main trigger for the personality change. Anger, it triggers when he couldn’t express his anger normally. Stress, whenever the boy was under too much stress, it takes over him.

When Kyuhyun finally asked Sungmin to be his boyfriend, Sungmin was glad. He wanted to be Kyuhyun’s support and he wanted to help Kyuhyun. Of course, he loved Kyuhyun. He had been in love with Kyuhyun, ever since the first time he saw the latter. Even when they went to university, Sungmin took the same major as Kyuhyun so that he could be there to bring him back.

Kyuhyun’s condition turned for the worse when his father passed away due to drunk driving. He was forced to take over the company of his father. Sure, it was a booming business, but it was too much for a eighteen year old boy. He had to learn the basics of the company, was forced to withdraw from school. He had to make major decisions of the company and had to meet up with clients.

Sungmin withdrew from school together with him and became his personal assistant, helping him in every area. Sungmin eventually moved into Kyuhyun’s house, so that he could be with the latter every day.

One day, after Kyuhyun’s mania subsided, he saw a big bruise on Sungmin’s arm. Guilt immediately filled his heart, he had beaten Sungmin in his mania. When he had asked Sungmin, the boy just brushed it off and smiled at him.

 

--------

 

“Min… It happened, again didn’t it?” Kyuhyun was lying on the bed one night, with his arm under Sungmin’s neck. He watched as the man looked up at him with his doe eyes, and the gentle smile that Kyuhyun loved.

“It’s okay Kyu, don’t blame yourself. You will get better. I’ll always be here for you.” Kyuhyun sighed, he really didn’t want to hurt anybody, especially Sungmin. How could a man be so perfect, for Sungmin to love him even when he hurt him.

“I love you, Min. I’m sorry for hurting you.”

“I love you too Kyu. I know you are trying your best, Kyu. So, don’t give up, I’ll always be here for you.” Kyuhyun closed his eyes when a warm lip pressed against his, as he ran his free hand to wrap around the waist of the other man.

“Kyu, let’s go on a holiday!” Kyuhyun opened his eyes and peered into the eyes that were looking into his. Kyuhyun nodded and smiled. Yea, a holiday was probably what he needed the most.

 

They went on a trip to Japan, the place that the both of them had always wanted to go. It was a simple holiday, with them stuffing themselves with food and wandering around. His mania didn’t occur at all, throughout their holiday because Kyuhyun was happy. For once, Kyuhyun felt as though he was liberated, he had no worries.

When they returned to back to Korea, the stress soon took over Kyuhyun once again. The number of bruises that appeared on Sungmin’s body increased as well, but the man never stopped smiling, not even once. Sungmin also never went outside wearing anything, that revealed his skin anymore. Kyuhyun never stopped apologising, as his guilt continued to build up despite Sungmin’s smiles.

 

-------

 

 

“How long do you want to take care of him, Min?” Hyukjae, Sungmin’s twin brother asked. He had pulled his brother into their shared room, when Sungmin and Kyuhyun visited his family over the new year. His brown eyes staring into his brother’s tired and worn out ones.

“You hide behind your smiles, but I know you Min. You are tired, no, you are exhausted Min.” Hyukjae knew about Kyuhyun’s condition, he knew from the first moment Kyuhyun’s personality developed. Sungmin had told him everything. He was after all, the only person his brother could confide in.

“Hyuk, you know that I’m the only person who can help him…” Hyukjae watched his brother smile towards him. Even though the smile was real and genuine, Hyukjae could see the pain in his brother’s eyes. It would always hurt Hyukjae to see his twin brother hurt.

“Let me help you, Min. Send him to my therapy centre for treatment. Let me help you.” Hyukjae was one of Korea’s best therapist and psychologist. If anybody should help Kyuhyun, it was him.

“Let me think about it Hyuk, but please do me a favour...” Hyukjae’s eyes widen when his brother asked that favour of him. He really wanted to hit Sungmin for even asking it from him, but he loved his brother too much to hit him.

 

--------

 

“Min, what should I do? I’m starting to lose control of myself…” Sungmin wrapped his arms around Kyuhyun tightly, as they laid on the bed after work, a few months later. He held the trembling man in his arms as he rubbed his back, calming the man down. He would have winced in pain when he moved slightly, but he held it in because he knew it would add on to Kyuhyun’s guilt.

“Kyu, let’s get help before it’s too late…” Sungmin asked for the nth time that year, he was exhausted both physically and mentally. Not because of the attacks from Kyuhyun, but because Kyuhyun’s mania would act up in the middle of the night sometimes. Sungmin would wake up to calm him down and comfort him until Kyuhyun came back to normal.

“B-but Min…” Kyuhyun’s protest was cut off by Sungmin. When the latter had placed a kiss on his lips, silencing him.

“Hyukjae is the best therapist, I’m sure you will recover, Kyu.” Sungmin smiled his gorgeous smile when Kyuhyun finally nodded.

Weeks went by, as Kyuhyun visited Hyukjae’s therapy centre every day. Every day without fail, Sungmin would be there beside him when he went for his therapy. On some days, he would receive the hypnotic treatment, some days he would receive the eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) treatments. Sungmin also ensured that Kyuhyun took his prescribed medicines on time.

A year later, just when they thought that his condition had improved for the better, a crisis hit Kyuhyun’s company with full impact. Kyuhyun’s stress built up even faster than ever before. There were days that Sungmin could not get up from bed, as even the slightest movement would immobilise him. However, he never once blamed or tried to guilt-trip Kyuhyun. He just stayed as patient as ever with him.

The final turning point came when one day after his mania had subsided, Kyuhyun was looking for Sungmin but he couldn’t find him. When he had walked down the stairs of their huge house, in search of him.

He found Sungmin lying at the bottom of the stairs, blood gushing out of his head as he tried to stay conscious. He had pushed Sungmin down the stairs in his mania.

“Min…I-I’m sorry!!” Kyuhyun cried as he held the bleeding Sungmin in his arms.

“Kyu… Don’t blame yourself… I’m ok… I really do l-” Kyuhyun screamed when Sungmin lost conscious, he didn’t know what to do. He shakily took his phone out from his pocket and called for the ambulance.

 

--------

 

When Hyukjae rushed down to the hospital, after receiving Kyuhyun’s call. Kyuhyun thought the therapist would hate him, but he didn’t. Instead he just sighed and patted Kyuhyun’s back as he calmed him down.

“I won’t hate you. Sungmin once asked me to take care of you, if anything happened to him. That stupid man is so in love with you. My boyfriend and I will move into your house, we will carry out therapy sessions there.” Hyukjae said as he pat Kyuhyun’s back. He pitied the man, all the hurt and hatred for his father caused his second personality to emerge. Hyukjae was the only person who could help him right now.

 

--------

 

Five years later, Kyuhyun had stepped down as the CEO of the company and had been receiving therapy from Hyukjae regularly. As his condition improved, he would be found next to Sungmin’s hospital bed almost every day.

“Min… Hyukjae said my condition has improved tremendously. I no longer hear voices in my head and the takeover has considerably lessened… I miss you so much, Min… When will you wake up…? I really love you… I miss you smile, your warm kisses, you soft touches, I miss everything, Min. Please wake up…” Kyuhyun sobbed as he clutched on Sungmin’s hand.

For five years, Sungmin had been sleeping. The doctor said that the fall and the impact that his head took, caused him to be in comatose for a while. The doctor never told him that a while, meant that he had to wait for five years. He waited and waited, every single day for Sungmin to wake up again.

“Let’s go to Japan again when you wake up, Min.” Was the last thing Kyuhyun had said before he fell asleep, hands still clutching onto Sungmin’s.

In the middle of the night, Kyuhyun was awaken when he felt Sungmin’s hands moving. It was a twitch at first, before the fingers twitched and started to move. Kyuhyun roused from his sleep and tears rolled down his cheeks. Sungmin was staring at him, with half-laden eyes. His Sungmin was finally awake.

 

As the year went by, he went for every physiotherapy treatments with Sungmin. He continued his treatment sessions with Hyukjae as well. By the end of two years, Kyuhyun and Sungmin were both well again. Kyuhyun’s condition had improved to the point, that he only needed therapy sessions every half a year. Sungmin was able to walk and talk normally, and they finally went on their trip to Japan.  

 

---------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m so glad you woke up, Min…” Kyuhyun and Sungmin were walking down a beach in Japan, their hands clasped together tightly.

“It was thanks to you, Kyu. I woke up because of you.” Sungmin replied with a bright smile, the smile that Kyuhyun fell in love with.

-The END- 

 

 

A.N: I’m sorry it’s a super duper angsty fic…  Hope you guys liked it do let me know how you feel about the fic 😃 Love you guys 😃 I will update the chaptered fics soon! -Eli