Strawberries

Velvet

 

 

 

The single tree outside of Jonghyun’s cabin was his favorite, it provided enough shade for Jonghyun to sit outside and read on a sunny day with any little friend that decided to join. He didn’t think about anything when he woke up that day, or when he trekked into town for groceries. Jonghyun hasn’t seen the deer since he got entangled into the gate, hasn’t seen any hybrid except for one.

 

A fox hybrid, a taller boy with light orange hair; his ears were short against either side of his head. “I’ve seen you around, human.” The fox said, crawling on all fours near his cabin, his tail moving against his legs.

 

“I live here,” Jonghyun replied, looking down at the fox who sniffed incredulously, his eyes squinting. This was different.

 

“So they say,” The hybrid turned to scan the outside of Jonghyun’s home. He was crawling slowly, making sure to keep an eye on Jonghyun whenever he moved.

 

“I mean no harm,”

 

“That’s what they also say,”

 

“But you’re a fox,” Jonghyun replied.

 

“That I am,” He sneered at the other. “And you know what they say about foxes.”

 

Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows. “I actually don’t,” he admitted, the hybrid looking at him with wide eyes, then he laughed, high pitched and loud.

 

“We’re sly, untrustworthy, liars.” He pushed himself off the ground with his hands, standing a few centimeters taller than Jonghyun. He looked intimating and powerful.

 

“And how much of that is true?”

 

“None,” He laughed again, the same high pitched squeal. “I just wanted to see the human for myself. We are curious creatures after all.”

 

“I’ve never seen a fox hybrid before,” Jonghyun blurted out, the other boy lifting an eyebrow with a smirk.

 

“We aren’t fond of humans,” He shrugged, walking close to Jonghyun, eyes watching his every movement. “They smell odd.”

 

“Oh,”

 

“You don’t smell too bad, however.” The hybrid sniffed near his ear. “They smell like the city, but you smell like us. Clean, familiar.” The fox turned to smell the other side of his neck, a loud and loud inhale.

 

“This forest is full of secrets,” He’s whispering, voice causing shivers to break out on the skin there. “We do not take humans, They do not home humans, but here you are.”

 

“I have been blessed by the Spirit of the Animals.” Jonghyun tried to counter, the hybrid only smirking at him, his teeth sharp.

 

“Ah, yes, He has told us, taking a form of a harmless rabbit. Our Guardian is quite the funny one you see, He believes in giving chances. If he did not, then you would have been disposed of quickly.” He ran a finger up Jonghyun’s forearm. “I see what He saw in you; you’re….sweet, untainted. Maybe that’s why you smell so clean.” he said that more to himself, cocking his head to the side in thought.

 

“I don’t understand,” Jonghyun mumbled, the hybrid snorting, hands clasping over Jonghyun’s neck.

 

“The forest is full of secrets, but I will let you in on one.” He was whispering, eyes boring into Jonghyun’s.  “This forest is protected by two Guardians, you humans call them spirits. The Spirit of the Animals and the Spirit of the Earth, they hold powers you could only dream of. Jinki, the rabbit you once met, is the Spirit of the Animals, he can transform into any animal on this earth and Minho. He hides in the trees, you haven’t seen him, but he sees you.” The hybrid looks towards the edge of the trees.

 

“He sees all, hears all. They protect us, have been protecting this forest for centuries. They do not take kindly to humans, but here you are, with a home and a blessing.” He twisted a piece of Jonghyun’s hair. “There are many hybrids in this forest who are very afraid, humans have not been the kindest to us, but you are different.”

 

“I-- Thank you?” Jonghyun didn’t know what to say, the fox hybrid walking around him in circles now, like he was evaluating him.

 

“I think this is when They want me to welcome you, Minho is speaking you see.” He pointed to the trees shaking from a distance, the leaves falling down like cherry blossoms. “So, I will. Welcome, there is not much to this forest, but it is special, it is home.”

 

“I cut a hole in the gate,” The trees shake even more, Minho was saying something Jonghyun didn't understand.

 

“We know, the gate has magic, They would not have allowed you to cut if not for an important reason.”

 

“There was a deer hybrid, he was stuck, I-I didn’t know what else to do.”

 

“Ah, yes, Taemin, a little trouble maker he is. It is fine, Minho was watching, They are not mad.” The hybrid breathed in deeply. “The hole has been closed, it seems.”

 

Taemin. He finally had a name to the face.

 

“Oh,” Jonghyun shook his head, amazing, They are amazing.

 

“Then this is where I take my leave, be careful, small human.”

 

“Wait!” Jonghyun called out before the fox hybrid could turn around. “What is your name?”

 

“Kibum,” He laughed, teeth glistening in the sun. “I will be back, do not worry, it can be awfully lonely.”

 

“You are always welcomed,”

 

“Thank you,” Kibum preened, tail dancing with delight. “Goodbye, then.”

 

“See you later,” Jonghyun countered, watching the hybrid go back on all fours to run back into the forest. It was a memory Jonghyun will never forget. The hybrid did visit him the next day, shading himself in the single tree near the cabin. His ears twitched when Jonghyun sat beside him, Kibum surveying him again before sniffing around him then extending his body to nap.

 

It was nice to have a friend, if Jonghyun could call Kibum that. He was the only hybrid that didn’t run when Jonghyun was close by. Becoming friends with the animals will take some time, he knew that, all he could do was give them some space until they decided to approach him. He could do that, he had all the time in the world after all.

 

Jonghyun broke himself out of his thoughts, feet walking in odd angles to avoid the flowers on the ground. He had groceries in his arms, the sun shining so bright it hurt his eyes.

 

The only sounds he could hear were the crackling of leaves under his shoes and the rustling in his arms. It was quiet, but Jonghyun didn’t think much of it, not until he saw a tinge of red from the corner of his eyes for a brief second.

 

Deciding to ignore it, Jonghyun kept going, rearranging the goods in his arms and continuing the walk home. He was almost there, the shade of the trees around him covering him from the burning sun. It was too hot to go outside, but Jonghyun needed food and he had no other choice. It was either to starve or stay home.

 

So there he was, walking in the burning heat with someone following him. Jonghyun knew that if he was in any real danger, the forest would protect him and it wasn’t the first time a hybrid would secretly watch him. He was still an intruder in the forest to them and he probably always be.

 

Maybe talking to the hybrid would make him go away, or maybe he could just keep walking and see who it is.

 

He chose the former, because why not.

 

“Hello?” He tried to say in a soft voice, the crunching of leaves stopping immediately. He turned his head to look to his left, he could see antlers peaking out from behind one of the trees.

 

Oh. The little deer from before, Taemin.

 

“Ah,” Jonghyun breathed to himself, shifting the bag in his arms again, this time resting it in an angle so he could see the hybrid hiding. “Hello there, little one.” He cooed, the deer shaking behind the tree.

 

Jonghyun tried to hold back a laugh, it was so cute. “Are you okay,” he tried a different approach, crouching down on the floor to seem less menacing. “You were entangled in that fence there, did you get hurt anywhere?”

 

Taemin glanced out from behind the tree, Jonghyun could only catch one of his eyes as he shook his head. “Ah, that’s good.” Jonghyun could see ears peeking not too far from his antlers, something he didn’t notice before in his panic. “I bought some food from the market in the city, would you like to try some?”

 

Jonghyun set the bag down, pulling out a crate of strawberries. He extended his arm to show one off to the hybrid. “You can have some if you want.”

 

Taemin’s ears twitched, his head slowly coming all the way out so Jonghyun could see his face. He was ethereal, an aura Jonghyun has never seen before in his life. Sun kissed freckles spread all across his nose and cheeks, his red hair looking even brighter this time.

 

“Don’t be afraid, I won’t hurt you.” The hybrid looked like a regular human, except for the antlers and ears on his head. Jonghyun shook the strawberry in his hand a little, Taemin’s nose twitching with a sniff. “It’s good, I promise.”

 

Taemin leaned away from the tree to watch Jonghyun carefully, squinting his eyes to appraise him.

 

Jongin stayed still on the floor, the hybrid taking one slow step closer to him, ears twitching every so often. The boy froze for a second, gauging Jonghyun before moving again.

 

It took a while for Taemin to get close enough to sniff around Jonghyun’s fingers. Jonghyun’s legs burning with the effort of keeping himself crouched low. He didn’t want to say anything, incase it might scare him off, so Jonghyun kept silent as Taemin continued to snoop around his hand.

 

He took a careful bite, pausing every time Jonghyun changed positions faintly. It was cute, his little teeth nibbling into the strawberry, Jonghyun’s fingers wet with the juices.

 

It was wrong of him to do it, but Jonghyun didn’t catch himself until he stuck his other arm near the hybrid’s ears. He just watched to touch, they looked so soft, so pretty with their brown fur and white spots.

 

Taemin froze for a moment, eyes going impossibly wide as he felt the ghost of a touch. Then without a warning, he scrambled backwards, ears pressed down against his head.

 

“I’m sorry!” Jonghyun gasped, standing up quickly to apologize again, but that seemed to scare the hybrid even more. He was running before Jonghyun could even get another word out.

 

“ me,” Jonghyun breathed in defeat.


I can't believe I updated 2 fics in one day I'm exhausted