Euphoria

Dear Happiness

He looked into the eyes of the girl standing in front of him.

 

After taking that one fateful step towards the miserable crying girl, he learned her name. And no, she wasn’t a ‘sad pathetic drunk girl who got out of a relationship with her a**hole of a boyfriend’ as he had previously thought. After a few big gulps of the liquor, she spilled her secrets to him willingly. Too willingly, he thought. Turns out, she was recently kicked out of her house by her stepmother, one who has always been a jerk to her from the beginning. Her father never cared, she mentioned, he never viewed her as a daughter. And the only one who was always there for her was her biological mother and grandmother, who both passed away in a car accident two years ago. 

 

Sehun didn’t really know what he was supposed to do. He was only there for the free booze. But this stranger is suddenly telling him her life story. But really, what were you supposed to do in situations like this? He looked to his right, where the girl sat beside him on the dirty pavement. It was then that he realized how beautiful the girl actually was. Her long lashes was covered with tears, as she tried to blink back the upcoming batch of fresh tears threatening to roll down her already wet cheeks. Yet, through all that, he could see her brown eyes, ones with so much passion hidden behind them. Her skin was as smooth as porcelain, her cheekbones high, and her jaws sharp.

 

Sehun didn't know how he could have such thoughts for a stranger. 

 

She abruptly stood up, and smiled down at him. "Thank you for listening to me ramble, stranger," she spoke subtly. And with that, she spun on her heels and walked away. And for the next minute, he sat there, confused at what just happened. He shrugged it off, thinking it was just another random meeting with a stranger, one whom he thought he will never see again. Until now.

 

He looked up at the girl, making sure he wasn't seeing things. It was the same girl from that night a week ago. She looked completely different now that she wasn't half with smudged makeup. He was wondering what she was doing here in his apartment complex, carrying a large carton box which seemed to be overflowing with her belongings. The girl, however, didn't seem bewildered at their encounter. She took one look at him and continued walking towards the elevator doors, completely ignoring his presence. What just happened? Did she not recognize me? He shrugged it off and continued walking, not bothering to look back.

 

------------------------------------------

 

One day was all it took for them to come across each other again. He was just about to enter the elevator when she came out of it. This time, Sehun was more than curious to know whether this girl remembers who he was. After all, you don't just forget about the person who spilled your life story to right? He gripped her wrist before she could walk further. 

 

"Do you not remember who I am?" He spoke carefully.

 

She looked at him sheepishly. It was then that he knew she remembered him, with the glint of recognition in her eyes. But why did she pretend to not recognize him yesterday? He stared hard into her eyes, demanding an answer.

 

"I was kind of hoping that we could forget about that whole incident. I mean, it's not like I expected to meet you again, hence why I didn't hesitate to tell you all the things I did a week ago."

 

Sehun stared at her blankly.

 

"Alright fine, presuming as we now live in the same apartment complex, I guess we're going to come across each other more often then." She said hesitantly.

 

Sehun nodded, unsure of what to say. It's not like they were going to be friends or something.

 

------------------------------------------

 

That was a lie.

 

Turns out the random meetings they had in the lobby of their apartment quickly developed into quick chats. And those quick chats turned into full on conversations. And before both of them noticed, they were instantly becoming friends. Something neither of them thought was possible. It became a habbit, you see. Every sunday at 5 p.m. they would meet at the cafe in the corner of the street, at the booth in the far left corner beside the floor-to-ceiling windows, talking about anything and everything. They would promise to meet each other every week then, and whether it was Sehun or her who arrived first, they both always knew what to order for each other. A caramel macchiato for her, and an Americano for him. She would always say that whenever there was free caramel macchiatos, she would be there. Sehun would always joke that macchiatos had more milk than coffee in them, and that she was basically a baby for drinking milk all the time, seeing as caramel macchiato was her favorite drink. But she didn't care, and would reply back saying the Americanos he ordered were as boring as he was. But she knew that wasn't the case. Sehun was, by far, the most interesting man she had ever had the privilege to know.

 

Today wasn't your typical sunday though. It had been 4 months since they started their routine, and they both knew something was growing between them. It won't take long until one of them confesses. And this time, it was Sehun who took that chance. He arrived at the cafe 15 minutes before their usual time and ordered their usual. He sat at their usual place, replaying in his head the short speech he had prepared for her. he fidgeted with his fingers, something he always did when he was nervous. After a few minuted of pondering, she finally arrived. There she was, with her regular bright smile and her typical monotonous clothes, her hair let loose, the way he loved. 

 

He gave her a nervous smile and started to speak. All the words he prepared went down the drain when he saw her, and suddenly he forgot everything he was about to say. She just had that effect on him.  it, I'm going for it.

 

"So.. I, uh, kind of, um.. I really really like you, you know.. um.. as more than friends. And I understand if you don't like me back and it's okay if you don't as long as you know how I feel and you know you could jus--" 

 

Sehun stopped talking when he saw the smile on her face. Her eyes said everything. She liked him back. And with that, their relationship bloomed.

 

------------------------------------------

 

 A few nights after that fateful day, they shared their first kiss.

 

It wasn't their typical sunday, but they decided to stop by to get their usual right after watching a movie together. They had been sitting on the same side of the booth, with Sehun's arm clung over her shoulders. She had been rambling like she usually does, when she stopped in her tracks, realizing that he was staring at her intently. And as he slowly leaned in, they both closed their eyes. She was frozen at first, and then, after a few seconds she melted into him. Just like that, they shared their first kiss. 

 

------------------------------------------

 

A month into the relationship and coming over to each other's places was a regular thing to do. Either Sehun would come to her place or she would come to his, and they would both sleep in each other's arms. Everytime Sehun held her in his arms, he knew he was holding his whole world, and he would always felt safest with her. Having her in his arms, her warmth radiating through him, caressing her soft skin, snuggling on the crook of her neck, smelling her shampoo. Sehun knew he had found everything he has been looking for. 

 

Yet, none of them has said the L word yet. Sehun made it his mission to be brave enough to say it to her first.

 

------------------------------------------

 

"I love you"

 

There. He said it. They were back in their regular booth that sunday, when Sehun made up his mind that it was time to finally tell her. Whereas she was afraid of her own feelings, she knew in the back of her mind that she felt the same way and that her feelings for him was stronger than her ego. It only took her a second to reply. So she did. She said it back. 

 

------------------------------------------

 

They decided to move in together 3 months after. After all, wasn't it useless to own 2 different apartments at the same building if they were just going to keep sleeping at each other's place together every night? Everything was going so well, but it was common knowledge that every couple would have their first fight. A silly occurence it was. They didn't remember what had started the fire. But harsh words were thrown, and things were said. Things that were never meant to be said. 

 

That night they slept at the opposite ends of the bed not facing each other, both still too prideful to admit to their mistakes and say sorry. Sehun kept tossing and turning, not being able to sleep. He then saw from the corner of his eyes her shaking form. she was curled up in a fetal position, body trembling from muffled cries. His face fell and he immediately went to her side and pulled her close. They both tangled themselves in each other's arms until the cries were replaced with "I'm sorry"s and "I love you"s. 

 

That night, she promised him that she would never leave him, and so did he.