Prologue

Dear Happiness

The smell of smoke was prominent in the air. A usual thing for Sehun it seems. The short circular object he held between his middle and pointer finger was the only escape for him nowadays. He closed his eyes and relished himself in the feeling of temporary relief it gave him. It seemed as if smoking was an outlet. And some people couldn’t understand, they never could. But it’s okay. After all, we all have different ways to channel our emotions right?

 

The loud club music was thumping hard and clear through the air. From the dark gloomy alleyway where he stood, the neon signs of the forbidden place was the only thing illuminating the grounds in which he stood on. He rolled his eyes. Maybe he would actually consider going into said place to get a drink if it wasn’t filled with sweaty grinding teenagers. He was really aching for a drink, hoping to add numbness to his already frozen feelings. Stupid teenagers, he thought.

 

Click clack click clack

 

He looked to his left to see the source of the repetitive sound he was hearing. There she was. Her tight black dress clinging her body like a skin, her hair resembled a bird’s nest, messy and tangled. Her already smokey eyes were further smudged with jet black mascara. She walked as if her body weighed more than it should, as if she was holding the weight of the world, trying to get through the streets with as little trouble as possible. Probably just another sad pathetic drunk girl who got out of a relationship with her a**hole of a boyfriend, he thought.

 

He was about to walk away when he heard the girl shout at his direction. He turned around and saw the girl crouching, holding onto her knees for dear life. Oh, what the hell. I’ll just keep walking. Yet, he heard her voice for the second time, more desperate this time.

 

“Hey! You! Do you wanna have a drink with me?”

 

Sehun stood there, baffled. Who was this girl? And why was she offering him a drink? He saw in her hands the two unopened bottles of soju she was holding. Maybe he should take that offer. After all, the nearest shop that sold alcohol was about 2 miles away, and he was desperate for booze right now.

 

He took a step towards the girl. The seemingly broken stranger. And without him knowing, maybe, just maybe, that one step was all it took for his life to change.