Chapter 6: Should know better

HOPE HAS A PLACE

 

Next day Gerald wakes up early and decided to pass by Kim’s house to offer her a ride to work. Only that when he got there, Kim and Jacob already left. Her routine is to left at 6:00 a.m. and drop Jacob to school, Mang Kolas is their Tricycle service everyday.

Grabe naman ang babae na ito, may sakit na lahat lahat sige pa rin, hindi na siguro natulog yon.

Went straight to her office, he totally forget that He scheduled a 9:00 am meeting, leaving the empty office Gina marching towards Him.

Sir Gerald, everybody is ready and waiting for you at the boardroom.

Okay, thank you Gina. Is Kim there already?

Yes po Sir, all the report that you ask nandoon na lahat.

With no wasted time, he went straight and apologized.

Good morning all, sorry for keep you waiting, I just have to drop by somewhere on check on something. Okay, let’s start. Eric can you give me some updates on company’s financial standing for the last quarter.

Eric went and starts his report which lasted for a good 30 minutes. Distructed, Gerald loses his focus and can’t concentrate.

Overall, for the last quarter we didn’t do what we say we’ll do but, I am not worried with the 0.03% beyond our forecast.

Gerald’s wake up by the applause, good job Eric, as everyone appreciates Eric’s simple, precise and clear financial report.

Any question ladies and gentlemen? Eric asks. Mr. Anderson?

No….. Good job Eric, just send me the hard copy of your report, soft copy I have. If ever I’ll find something later on I’ll get back to you.

Any time Mr. Anderson. Miss Chiu? Any question?

Kim blows her nose and starts her question with appology.

Sorry everyone, I’ll try and talk as clear as I can. Her voice sounds so painful that everytime she speak you can feel the pain dotting on her tonsel. Mr. Santiago can we go back to the cooperative cash-flow statement please, I am just wondering …then she stops and caugh that really sounds so bad. Before she starts again, Gerald interrupted her.

Miss Chiu, maybe you can continue later. Obviously you don’t feel very well. Maybe you can have a separate meeting with Mr. Santiago after…when you feel a lot better.

She just nods and agrees to his suggestion.

Okay, can we move on to you Anne? If you have review the Marketing Package I send you, let us hear your analysis and suggestion. Also if you can give us the update and your suggestion / plan for the next six months for the community projects that this company should invest in.

Anne started her report but Gerald’s mind is wondering around, watching Kim and studying her actions worried and wanted to send her home but she is so stuborn. Meeting is done in an hour; Gerald cut it off short for obvious reason. Kim being sick makes him lose his concentration.

Lunch time came he decided to check on her and brought a chicken soup to give her, since she insist that she is okay. Went strought to her office, he got surprise someone is with her.

Oh sorry, I should have knocked.

With squicky voice, that’s okay Mr. Anderson, c’mon in. Kim invited him. I want you meet Dr. Mario Lim…..Mario, meet Mr. Gerald Anderson our new CEO.

Wow Pare, long time no see. Kamusta na? Mario greeted Gerald.

Good, pare ikaw kamusta na?

Ito, single pa rin but hoping.

Haha same here, single din but not looking. Gerald answer

While the two are talking Kim’s phone ring, school is calling her and she needs to go pick up her son who got into trouble during basketball game.

Excuse me, Mr. Anderson. I have an emergency, I need to leave but I’ll be back soon.

What did happened Kim? Gerald asked.

It was the school I need to go pick up my son. But I won’t take long. Sandali lang balik agad ako.

Kim, no problem, you can take the rest of the days off. Come I’ll drive you.

Thank you Sir, but huwag na, we can’t be out of the office at same time. Mario?

Sure, I’ll come with you. Pare ako na mag drive kay Kim. Nice seeing you again.

Okay pare…oh by the way pala. If you are free this Saturday, basketball tayo.

I love too. Let me know what time, paki sabi kay Kim she can let me know.

Okay no problem.

Then Mario and Kim went off leaving Gerald pissed. After a while Gerald decided to go home. He is so destructed and can’t focus to his work, mind and body was tired he took a nap and wake up around 6 pm. With feeling more energetic, he took a shower and decided to go see Kim to find ourt if she is okay. Jacob told him that his mom went back to the office after she picks him up.

Naku Kim, wala na talaga tititgas pa ng ulo sayo. Then he hurriedly went back to the office. Before he can park his car, he spotted Kim walking out from the building with Mario helping her. His blood boils seeing the Doctor all over her.

Went home pissed, he skip dinner and went back to bed.

Next day at work Gerald didn’t even bother to check on Kim. He decided to focus on his work and leave Kim and her life alone. Not feeling too well, Kim stays in her office most of the morning also until 11:00 am come for their Marketing meeting. Caugh and Laryngitis took her good and keep her from talking. Few minutes after they started, Kim’s secretary interrupted the meeting for an important call.

Execuse me Miss. Chiu, Dr. Lim is on the phone, he said it’s important.

Hearing the interruption, Gerald wasn’t happy at all.

Kim excuses her self and took the call from her office, few minutes after she went back to the meeting.

Gerald being not happy sarcastically asked everyone. Okay, ladies and gentlemen, anyone else wanted to take important calls before we proceed?

 

Kim got embarrass, she just mouthed “sorry” to everyone.

It took 3 days before Kim recovers from flu, but she never misses work. Saturday comes, and a big bast ketball game for everyone. Mario, Stephen and Gerald in one team, Kim, Anne and Eric cheer their gutz out. Between games, Kim would help Mario wipe his sweat and would give him water. A show that doesn’t pleases Gerald.

Gerald’s team won the game, team decided to celebrate a little in Stephen’s house. Unfortunately, Mario has to go, he is working tonight which make Gerald a very happy person. At 8:00 pm, the rest of their team went home and left five of friends continue the party.

Friend kaloka ka talaga ha, may pa punas punas ka pa kanina. Eric confronted Kim.

Akala ko ba ayaw mo sa Chinese Doctor na yan, hindi ko alam dyowa mo na pala. Anne continues the tease.

Hindi ah! Hindi ko boyfriend yong tao, friends lang kami.

Grabe naman ang friend mo Kim, laki na hindi pa rin marunong mag punas ng sariling pawis. Gerald joins Eric and Anne teasing Kim.

After a while, Kim got so pikon. Alam nyo, inggit lang kayo palibhasa, walang may gusto mag punas sa pawis ninyo.

Sino ang inggit? Ako? As Gerald took Kim seriously; kung ikaw lang naman ang pupunas di bali na. Kung sa bagay you two looks good together.

Sa sobrang pikon, Kim is on the bridge of tears, she sounds so annoyed. I said wala akong gusto kay Mario. She answers Gerald defensibly.

Alam mo hindi halata, sa mga pinag kikilos mo, for a guy iba ang ibig sabihin noon. If you honesty don’t have a feeling for the guy, tell him straight hindi yong daming misleading signal na nakikita sayo.  Gerald intensely told her.

My goodness Gerald, hindi lahat na lalaki at tulad sayo. And don’t judge me, obviously hindi mo ako kilala.

Me? Hindi ka kilala? C’mon Kim, between Anne, Eric, Stephen and me, ako ang nakaka kilala sayo. Gerald said as their argument heat up.

Kim so mad and trying to hold her tears to fall, while their three friends just watch them confused. Kim run to the kitchen and Gerald follow her.

She start to clean up some of the plates in the sink when Gerald hold her arm turn her around.

Kim, what happened? ….what happened to us?....to you? Why you left that day with out saying bye?

For heaven sake Gerald, is that the reason why you’re giving me a hard time this days?... ang tagal na noon Ge. And beside I don’t think you’ll mind at all.

What do you mean if I don’t mind at all? Kim, I was your boyfriend!

No Ge, hindi tayo! Hindi naging tayo, malinaw yan sayo at sa akin.

What are you talking about? So you are just playing with me at that time?

Gerald, ikaw ang nag sabi noon, na hindi tayo, hindi mo ako girlfriend noon. You never love me Ge.

What the Kim! I love you then, mahal na mahal kita, noon at hanggang ngayon! But obviously hindi mo nga ako mahal, I was never good enough for you! Kaya pala umalis ka and pick someone else. So, was He better than I am? Mas guapo at mayaman ba? Or maybe mas magaling sa kama!

Kim is now red and furious mad, she slap Gerald and run away home with tears on her eyes, passing by her friends who are now more confused, and leaving Gerald frustrated in the kitchen.

! ! … While hitting his head, kahit kailan gago mo talaga Gerald.